What is your top 5 rack extension and why

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
aeox
Competition Winner

26 Sep 2018

Magnus wrote:
26 Sep 2018
aeox wrote:
25 Sep 2018

I'm all for being creative but there are just some tools I can't do without! Well, I could, if I wanted to purposely set myself back and makes things take longer than they should.
Which tools could you simply not do without, out of interest?
A proper EQ that can easily be moved around anywhere in the chain. I've tried using mix channels for EQ but it becomes a bit overkill after a while.

Magnus

28 Sep 2018

aeox wrote:
26 Sep 2018
Magnus wrote:
26 Sep 2018

Which tools could you simply not do without, out of interest?
A proper EQ that can easily be moved around anywhere in the chain. I've tried using mix channels for EQ but it becomes a bit overkill after a while.
Interesting. Not something I've ever really needed and on the odd occasion I would need to EQ earlier in the signal chain, I would just chain the channel to a new one and continue the FX in there, post-EQ.

aeox
Competition Winner

28 Sep 2018

Magnus wrote:
28 Sep 2018
aeox wrote:
26 Sep 2018

Interesting. Not something I've ever really needed and on the odd occasion I would need to EQ earlier in the signal chain, I would just chain the channel to a new one and continue the FX in there, post-EQ.
Yea that's what I would do but it gets a bit out of control after a while, with all the mix channels.

BRIGGS

28 Sep 2018

1. nostromo - exaustive proceedural patch generation
2. syncronous - super handy automation in the rack
3. audiomatic - adding imperfections and creepiness
4. the echo - self oscillating wobblyness
5. pulverizer - for darkening and flattening/squashing

honorable mentions:

pipeline pressure control - expanded creepiness
primal audio ladder filter - good filter with saturation [eats cpu like fat kid eat cookie]
r11s

Adabler
Competition Winner

28 Sep 2018

Legend - Lives up to it's name.
Titus - awesome and compact delay unit.
L1mdrum - Rhythm of life.
Basimilus Iteritas - Bass drums and more!
ES01 - Recent crush!
:reason: 12, Win10

Jagwah

28 Sep 2018

Europa - New go to synth
Basimilus Iteratus - Good times with kicks and CV
Euclid RE - <3
Quadelectra Line Processor - Great for shaping CV
Jiggery Pokery Kings of Kong Refill

Mode7

21 Dec 2018

No particular order
RX950 : Simple, efficient, great colouration. My new go-To RE to make oldschool hip-hop
Softube Saturation Knob : free. Adds a subtle saturation and cutting frequencies especially on snares without any effort
Reason Bass : could be improved, with a better control on the enveloppes. But it is actually doing a perfect job
Scales and chords : my main Player. I use it in every track. I want updates and patches !!!!!
Mixfood Orange : low price, great sound

cognitive

21 Dec 2018

Hard to pick just 5, but in no particular order, here are a few that end up in my rack in almost every project now.

Synapse - The Legend
NAILS the old Moog sound and UI experience with some killer extras including polyphony. It just sounds so freaking GOOD.

Selig - ColoringEQ
A great, feature packed EQ that I seem to get along with VERY well, and does some things "in the box" that you can't really get anywhere else. Integrated saturation is SO helpful with this one. This one now ends up in every mastering chain.

Lectric Panda - PSQ1684
This is a deep POWERHOUSE for generative music. I've done several songs now with this one driving a variety of parts and styles and I'm still only scratching the surface.

Kuassa - Kratos 2
Another one that goes in every mastering chain. A great sounding BEEFY but transparent maximizer with a lot of flexibility.

Blamsoft - eXpanse
Swiss army knife wavetable synth, so much power AND it sounds wonderful. Definitely a go-to for modern synth sounds. A LOT of depth without UI clutter confusing things.

Some of my other current faves include the Noise Engineering devices (unique character for days). And the more I mess with it, the more I have a feeling I'm going to be using Props new Complex-1 for a lot of stuff in the future. Takes me back to my old ARP-2600 days but with some fun sonic twists.

EDIT: I should mention Selig Leveler which now it ends up as an insert on pretty much every lead vocal I record.
Last edited by cognitive on 22 Dec 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Melody303

21 Dec 2018

Three must haves:
1. Ozone Maximizer. It's my sound-betterizer, sits on the master out in my template, and is present in every project.
2. ABL3.1. My genre is downtempo acid. ABL3 features in every piece I write, though I did do some 303-like things based on subtractor prior to its existence as an RE, and still do use those alongside the ABL3 from time to time.
3. Saturation Knob. Almost always use one on my kick drums, sometimes use on 303's and on pads too.

Effects:
1. Steerpike. Best delay unit in the rack. I'll soon pick a preset and add it to my template, replacing the Echo.
2. Fritz. ♥ The randomness.
3. Animus. Wonderful on 303's, pianos, guitars, pads, etc.
4. Glitch. I wish there was a step sequencer edition of it, though I have created a combinator patch for that, still, as is I go for it whenever probability based glitching works for me.

Utilities:
1. CV Tuner. For whenever I want to constrain randomness to notes.
2. Probability CV Trigger. For whenever I want to have probability based sequencing (though the new Drum Sequencer helps with that too)

And one synth of choice:
Nostromo. for the love of Lectric Panda's random button.

Sorry that came out to 10. :p
I write acid music in Reason and perform live on a bunch of machines without computers.
Feel free to listen here: melodyklein.bandcamp.com/

two shoes

22 Dec 2018

1. Nostromo is currently my favorite synth in Reason which is saying something - incredibly useful for pads and evolving textures. I also think Spectra is a really overlooked RE synth that really rewards digging into the user manual. I love organ sounds and Revival has been mentioned several times already, but don't forget the Jiggery Pokery organs too. Chambertron and Re-Tron are also amazing! ABL3 also - the number of excellent instruments available in the RE format is one of my favorite things about Reason.

2. AD 480 reverb. DR-1 has already been mentioned several times and I agree it's excellent. If you like that very lush Lexicon type 80s reverb sound try AD 480 too - it can sound a lot like DR-1 but it's a lot more adjustable.

3. Step Note Recorder - I almost never used this prior to the recent 2.0 update but since then I've used it a bunch. There are a ton of great RE sequencing tools but lately this one has been my favorite.

4. Selig Leveler - this works differently than other dynamics processors I've used and it's become an indispensable part of my amateur "mastering" process. This along with Kratos Maximizer and occasionally Flower Audio 4-Dyne are my main tools for two track dynamics processing in Reason.

5. CVA-7 CV Analyzer - to get the most out of the Reason rack you've got to get familiar with how CV works and I've found the CVA-7 to be a huge help in understanding what a CV signal is doing. There are several CV analysis RE tools but CVA-7 is my favorite and it's free!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Dec 2018

1. Everything by Kuassa
2. Everything by Selig
3. Everything by Synapse
4. Robotic Bean Acoustic Handclapper
5. RE-2A
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

EdGrip

23 Dec 2018

I've just treated myself to Fritz for Christmas. Reading the manual - what a versatile and useful device it is! Even the LFO section is gonna be handy on its own!

FLVZ

23 Dec 2018

1. VK2 - Favourite instrument (will there ever be a better sounding, more flexible synth?)
2. AD480 - Favourite reverb (works miracles on drums, when we talk about room reverbs this is the only reverb i've been convinced by so far for room emulation)
3. Selig Leveller - Favourite compressor (answer to your mixing problems and creative tool, bonus is that it ignore the noisefloor)
4. Drum Sequencer - Favourite player (Completely replaced ReDrum which previously was in every single project I touched )
5. PSQ1684 - Favourite Utility (a monolith in the utilities department. I often stay away from REs with too many features but this thing singlehandlely empowers Reason users)

Honourable mentions:
6. Synchronous - love experimenting with this device, it is the hub of most of my remix work
7. Neutron - Incredibly versitile effect, lots of CV on the back to make the results extra quirky and I can never resist the tempetation to throw it on anything)
8. Distillery - Wicked bag of tricks within, use it extensively to perform live
9. Spectre - I use this mainly to add sparkles and stereo width to the high end, love it for unconventional results too
10. Fritz - Just cyclying through the presets gets me interesting results, I can only imagine how interesting things would get if I took time to learn everything!

cognitive

23 Dec 2018

MrFigg wrote:
23 Dec 2018
1. Everything by Kuassa
2. Everything by Selig
3. Everything by Synapse
4. Robotic Bean Acoustic Handclapper
5. RE-2A
The RE-2A was one of my earliest RE purchases and I still use it quite a bit. Just today I was having a problem with a vocal that would simply NOT get warm and fuzzy and sit well in the mix, and replacing the compressor with the RE-2A was an insta-fix. Boom. Problem solved.

I should probably use it as my default vocal compressor more often.

MannequinRaces

23 Dec 2018

1) The Legend - analog modeled goodness, so good
2) Nostromo - interesting sounds for days
3) Distillery - so easy to use and amazing results
4) Selig Color EQ - brilliant
5) maybe Complex-1 or Grain

Ejectzero

24 Dec 2018

Not rack extensions but what I believe is core to reason song making to me:

VK-2 / Radical Piano - main patch to start a song idea (If I'm not using my Korg Prologue). Radical Piano can be compared to Nord's Piano patches or the Korg Grandstage any day.
Octorex - take an old loop or sample and chop it up.
The new players for chords and arpeggios, even RPG8 too (RNG heaven).
Thor - for easy uncomplicated texture/layering to any other patch. Also more than good enough for clean bass lines (Good old eXode minimoog tribute Refill is all you need).
Kong/Redrum - love hate relationship - redrum's workflow is better, umpf came out and further complicated things. New drum player not compatible with launchpad - frustrating - need to figure this out.

You can probably guess I know nothing about mixing and mastering, Mclass compressor is fine to my ears really (in fact I prefer a clean vs analogue effect, have you ever listened to 60/70s music? Will use fabfilter plugins and then send to a pro to redo :)

Iapetus 9

25 Dec 2018

1- Synapse Audio The Legend. Seriously best RE in the rack, arguably better than Diva in sound and CPU.
2- Lectric Panda PSQ-1684. We need more modular stuff like this. Oh hell, just put every RE the Panda has made on this list.
3- Zvork Oberon. Awesome pad machine. I loves the pads.
4- Ochen K Glitch. Nice glitch tool that just gets better when you add your own effects.
5- Morfin XF Crossfader. Free. Awesome. So important in my rack.
38L > 51D every time.

kuhliloach

25 Dec 2018

FM4 - affordable and sounds great
Flower Audio Loudness Meter - how could anyone live without this? Fills a critical void Reason should have out-of-the-box
FRG-4RE - almost had to say C670 but the fact is the FRG-4RE is great sounding, practical, and constantly in use
DCAM EnvShaper - what a surprise; once I realized what this thing does and learned about transient shaping this RE started getting a lot of use - might try the kHs one day
Decimort2 - this is the filth you are looking for

Electric-Metal

26 Dec 2018

GQ7 - Should have become the stock EQ long ago.
RE2A - Simply love it for what it does on Basslines.
DR-1 - Great sounding reverb. Love it on Pads and all the Fx Bells n whistles.
Antidote - Just Great for my cheesy Trance sounds.
Kratos Maximizer - L.O.U.D. :puf_bigsmile:
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

two shoes

03 Jan 2019

moalla wrote:
26 Sep 2018
Europa (most powerfull wave synth at all)
if by powerful you mean versatility i'd argue Expanse has the edge over Europa although Europa is definitely quicker to work with for most type of sounds. can they both use Serum wavetables now?

• Information