Synapse The Legend Synthesizer is in the Shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
svenh

22 Sep 2016

SynapseAudio wrote:We plan to make the crossgrade free of charge, just send us your PH invoice as proof of purchase once the VST is out :)

Richard
Great - thanks! Bought it! :D

svenh

22 Sep 2016

From the manual: "Built around a vectorized core, The Legend is capable of synthesizing multiple voices for the cost of little more than a single voice, making it one of the most efficient analog-modeling plug-ins available today"

With this in mind - why is the poly-mode only 4 voices? I very often voice my pad chords with 5 or 6 notes. Increasing the the poly mode to 8 or even 6 voices would make a huge difference to me for how useable the poly mode is!

eXode

22 Sep 2016

svenh wrote:From the manual: "Built around a vectorized core, The Legend is capable of synthesizing multiple voices for the cost of little more than a single voice, making it one of the most efficient analog-modeling plug-ins available today"

With this in mind - why is the poly-mode only 4 voices? I very often voice my pad chords with 5 or 6 notes. Increasing the the poly mode to 8 or even 6 voices would make a huge difference to me for how useable the poly mode is!
Because it's only applicable up to 4 voices when dealing with hyperthreading/cores and most current CPU's, as far as I know.

SynapseAudio
RE Developer

22 Sep 2016

svenh wrote:From the manual: "Built around a vectorized core, The Legend is capable of synthesizing multiple voices for the cost of little more than a single voice, making it one of the most efficient analog-modeling plug-ins available today"

The key idea in The Legend is to process large parts of the voices, in particular the CPU-demanding VCF and VCA, entirely in parallel using SSE. Since SSE does 4 things in parallel, this means 4 voices poly or unison can be computed in parallel. Note that this is a different concept from developers using SSE to speed up this or that portion of the code. What we do is to run just one large circuit simulation, which then returns the outputs of 4 voices simultaneously. This all happens on a single CPU core, so you fully benefit from your other cores still (e.g. if you run many instances of The Legend).

We could double the voices using AVX to 8, but not everyone has a processor with AVX at this point, and it is not supported in RE just yet.

Richard
Last edited by SynapseAudio on 22 Sep 2016, edited 1 time in total.

deepndark

22 Sep 2016

Would putting two or more Legends inside the combi and splitting the key range add more voices?

SynapseAudio
RE Developer

22 Sep 2016

deepndark wrote:Would putting two or more Legends inside the combi and splitting the key range add more voices?
I haven't tried, but yeah should work- clever idea! :) Another more basic idea would be to use combi splits to play a bassline in the low region then some chords in the upper region, which would give you 5-8 voices in total.

Richard

deepndark

22 Sep 2016

SynapseAudio wrote:
deepndark wrote:Would putting two or more Legends inside the combi and splitting the key range add more voices?
I haven't tried, but yeah should work- clever idea! :) Another more basic idea would be to use combi splits to play a bassline in the low region then some chords in the upper region, which would give you 5-8 voices in total.

Richard
I haven't tried it either (yet). But yeah, there's lots of tricks the combi can do. :puf_smile:

SynapseAudio
RE Developer

22 Sep 2016

Arrant wrote:Is the reverb the same as in DR-1 and antidote?
No, it is a new development. In order to match The Legend's vintage theme, it is inspired by the classic 224 hall program which was heavily used in the late 70s and 80s. Since it is a modulated reverb, it is ideal for synthetic sounds. I believe Vangelis used it a lot (Blade Runner), for example.

Richard

Loque

22 Sep 2016

SynapseAudio wrote:
No, it is a new development. In order to match The Legend's vintage theme, it is inspired by the classic 224 hall program which was heavily used in the late 70s and 80s. Since it is a modulated reverb, it is ideal for synthetic sounds. I believe Vangelis used it a lot (Blade Runner), for example.

Richard
And i cannot route audio through it :cry:
Reason12, Win10

SynapseAudio
RE Developer

22 Sep 2016

Loque wrote:
SynapseAudio wrote:

Richard
You can- using the external inputs. Those will go into the VCF, but since you can control the filter cutoff and saturation/drive, you should be able to get signals through clean if that's what you want :)

Richard

Loque

22 Sep 2016

SynapseAudio wrote:
Loque wrote:
SynapseAudio wrote:

Richard
You can- using the external inputs. Those will go into the VCF, but since you can control the filter cutoff and saturation/drive, you should be able to get signals through clean if that's what you want :)

Richard
Does that mean i can use the filter too? I am getting horny...
Reason12, Win10

Libraquaricorn

22 Sep 2016

Man, I've never had such a hard crush on a synth ever! I'm just head over heels in love here.... Now, take my money, you've really earned it!

A little request: Is it possible to provide a button to lock the mod wheel to the position that it's saved to in a patch? You know, if I accidentally touch the mod wheel it's a bit boring having to reload the patch to bring it back to its intended glory. Or an adjustable default setting for the mod wheel that also is saved in the patch so I can press ctrl and left click to bring it back to shape? It's not a biggie but it certainly would be sweet. I know there is sdk limitations and whatnot that I have no knowledge about what so ever but I'm just wondering.

As far as analog modeling goes I just once again have to take my hat off, congratulate Synapse and utter an amazed WOW!

mayzon

22 Sep 2016

Started my trail last night, pretty much sold instantly. What a great synth guys well done on this, Legend by name Legend by nature! :thumbs_up:

adfielding

22 Sep 2016

Damn it's been a fantastic month for top-notch RE synths! I can see this becoming a rack regular here, for sure.

decibel

22 Sep 2016

as soon as i have some freed up money and time, i'm sure i'm going to want this. great to see the RE landscape looking so healthy lately ;)

sycon

22 Sep 2016

I've used this synth for some time now, and I really like it. Synapse did an amazing job emulating the original hardware, with all its quirks and particularities. The result is a truly musical experience, if you (like me) love the sound of the Minimoog.

Synapse is a very important company for the RE platform, and they prove it once more by giving us a top-notch device with added extras such as VST/AU patch compatibility and a very generous crossgrade option. I'm impressed!

deepndark

22 Sep 2016

adfielding wrote:Damn it's been a fantastic month for top-notch RE synths! I can see this becoming a rack regular here, for sure.
Yup, and I know that when Synapse AUdio releases something it's good! :)

EnochLight

22 Sep 2016

Legend is easily the best Moog Model D emulation available in Reason, and I would easily use this over Monark and any others in VST-land. Awesome synth, Synapse Audio!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

pedrocaetanos

22 Sep 2016

SynapseAudio wrote:

Richard
I always thought DR-1 was inspired in Lex 224.
What is the inspiration behind the DR-1, then?
(I have it and love it, both standalone and in the antidote - haven't heard the reverb in the legend yet)
Based on a true story. No Musical Instruments Were Harmed in the Making of This Forum Post. | :arrow: SoundCloud set | :reason: :record: :recycle: :reload: :refillpacker: :refill: :re: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

jjdejong0

22 Sep 2016

Is there a Unison feature?

SynapseAudio
RE Developer

22 Sep 2016

jjdejong0 wrote:Is there a Unison feature?
Yes, The Legend is built around a 4-voice core largely processed in parallel using SSE. One of the available voice modes (top right of the UI) is Unison, which plays all 4 voices at once.

pedrocaetanos

22 Sep 2016

pedrocaetanos wrote:
SynapseAudio wrote:

Richard
I always thought DR-1 was inspired in Lex 224.
What is the inspiration behind the DR-1, then?
(I have it and love it, both standalone and in the antidote - haven't heard the reverb in the legend yet)
Hi Richard,
Thank for your participation in the forum, and thank you for great products - by now I have almost all :)
Although a bit off-topic, could I get an hint to my question, please?... or am I hitting a trade secret? :D
Based on a true story. No Musical Instruments Were Harmed in the Making of This Forum Post. | :arrow: SoundCloud set | :reason: :record: :recycle: :reload: :refillpacker: :refill: :re: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Tumble

22 Sep 2016

Optimization seems good. Did a project with 8 instances (mono) that used up approx. 15% CPU and 2 DSP bars.

My only niggle with it is that you can't automate reverb/delay when they are at the back of the device :cry:
Last edited by Tumble on 22 Sep 2016, edited 1 time in total.

chk071

22 Sep 2016

Interesting... you only have to state another subject, and the forums view switches the topic subject?

:reason: :rebirth:

txh003

22 Sep 2016

Due to the free VST crossgrade offer, I will more than likely purchase the RE version of The Legend. At this time, I do not use Reason, but it would be nice to have The Legend available if I ever decided to incorporate the said DAW platform into my workflow in the future.
:reason: :record: :recycle: :rebirth: :reload: :re: :refill:

• Information