Synapse The Legend Synthesizer is in the Shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Shokstar

20 Sep 2016

I made this Demo Song during the Beta.

raymondh

20 Sep 2016

Shokstar wrote:I made this Demo Song during the Beta.

Cool track! Very gritty!

raymondh

20 Sep 2016

dvdrtldg wrote:
Faastwalker wrote:Poor old Viking won't get a look in any more.
At first I thought the same thing, but it seems that Viking has more tweakability - I really like the way the waveforms in Viking can morph into each other rather than a hard switch. Plus there's the mod matrix and a few other bits & pieces. Legend has the fatter sound straight out of the box and I'll probably pick it up at some point, but I can still see myself continuing to use Viking

Big fan of Viking
If that's the case then it sounds like both synths nailed their emulations.

Viking is an emulation of a Moog Voyager, which has more programming versatility, but apparently not quite as big sounding as the original Model D.

If you like the Moog sound, then they might be complementary synths.

dvdrtldg

21 Sep 2016

raymondh wrote: Viking is an emulation of a Moog Voyager, which has more programming versatility, but apparently not quite as big sounding as the original Model D.

If you like the Moog sound, then they might be complementary synths.
After a few hours' playing with Viking & Legend, that's pretty much what I'm thinking. Kind of glad I didn't pull the trigger on eXpanse, because this is much more up my alley at the moment

We're getting really spoilt for choice with Reason synths these days - I'm still being amazed by Zero and Nostromo

challism

21 Sep 2016

I'm also shocked they passed this off with the controls on the back. Looks like we may be seeing more like this in the future? Anyway, this looks really nice, and I'm sure it sounds great.... but my rack is so synth heavy already... I'm not even going to try it. Because I know I would love it, and then I would have to get it. I have practically every synth in the shop, minus maybe 10 of them. So I just can't bring myself to even try this one.

Nice work, thought, Synapse. You guys are really great and I'm happy to see you are still supporting the RE model. :) Cheers!

EDIT: Damn it! I just watched the video.... I knew it. Now I want THIS synth, too. DO.NOT.HIT.TRY..... DO.NOT.HIT.TRY.... TRY... TRY....TRYING.NOT.TO.HIT.TRY.... TRYING.NOT.TO.TRY.....TRY....TRY....TRYING!
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

svenh

21 Sep 2016

I love the sound of this one!

Is it just me or does this take a lot of sonic space? Comparing for instance a "clean" saw wave (i.e. no filters, no fx) from Legend with one from e.g. Thor, I find the Legend wave sonically bigger. Is this because of more noise or inherent modulation (like oscillator drift) in Legend?

I don't have much experience with real analog gear, so I don't know if this is a Legend phenomenon, a general analog hardware phenomenon, or just my imagination. ;-) This is not a question about better or worse, I am just trying to understand what I am hearing (and figure out how to fit it in my mixes).

Benedict
Competition Winner

21 Sep 2016

svenh wrote:I love the sound of this one!

Is it just me or does this take a lot of sonic space? Comparing for instance a "clean" saw wave (i.e. no filters, no fx) from Legend with one from e.g. Thor, I find the Legend wave sonically bigger. Is this because of more noise or inherent modulation (like oscillator drift) in Legend?

I don't have much experience with real analog gear, so I don't know if this is a Legend phenomenon, a general analog hardware phenomenon, or just my imagination. ;-) This is not a question about better or worse, I am just trying to understand what I am hearing (and figure out how to fit it in my mixes).
I think you are right. See the second half of this article (from Betty Boo...). The Legend has a lot of movement happening.
https://benedictroffmarsh.com/2016/07/1 ... re-better/

I do like the sound of the synth a lot, and perfect for the Model D kind of thing, but that CPU seems just too scary to be useful with just four notes hitting 2 bars at 44k (3 at 96k). Even my minimal mixes would choke pretty fast.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Faastwalker

21 Sep 2016

dvdrtldg wrote:
At first I thought the same thing, but it seems that Viking has more tweakability - I really like the way the waveforms in Viking can morph into each other rather than a hard switch. Plus there's the mod matrix and a few other bits & pieces. Legend has the fatter sound straight out of the box and I'll probably pick it up at some point, but I can still see myself continuing to use Viking

Big fan of Viking
True. I hadn't considered those differences. I just saw Mini Moog / Voyager & expected them to be extremely similar.

This just makes me want Legend even more now! :o Think I'm going to have to pull the trigger on this one pretty soon ;)

dioxide

21 Sep 2016

Faastwalker wrote:
dvdrtldg wrote:

Big fan of Viking
True. I hadn't considered those differences. I just saw Mini Moog / Voyager & expected them to be extremely similar.

This just makes me want Legend even more now! :o Think I'm going to have to pull the trigger on this one pretty soon ;)

noelcampbelljnr

21 Sep 2016

I have really loved trying this out. Synapse have come up with a winner here. great sounding emulation of the Mini Moog. insta buy for me. It may be limited to a certain sound but that's half the charm. It sounds beautiful. I have no issue with the delay and reverb fixed on the back. it sounds great. and the reverb is a beautiful addition. really enhances the sound of the raw synth. Bravo

Arrant
Competition Winner

21 Sep 2016

Is the reverb the same as in DR-1 and antidote?

Libraquaricorn

21 Sep 2016

Who am I kidding? I need both the Legend and the Viking! Ok, the legend is number one on my want list...

Lowas

21 Sep 2016

I've got Minimonsta, Arturia moog, Samplemoog, Diva, Viking and now demoing The Legend.
They all have their sweet spots imo, personally I'm not a big fan of Samplemoog and Minimonsta.
The Legend delivers :)

svenh

21 Sep 2016

Benedict wrote:
svenh wrote:I love the sound of this one!

I think you are right. See the second half of this article (from Betty Boo...). The Legend has a lot of movement happening.
https://benedictroffmarsh.com/2016/07/1 ... re-better/

I do like the sound of the synth a lot, and perfect for the Model D kind of thing, but that CPU seems just too scary to be useful with just four notes hitting 2 bars at 44k (3 at 96k). Even my minimal mixes would choke pretty fast.

:)
Thanks for your reply and link - interesting read! Sorry to hear that your computer is not up to Legend.

EdGrip

21 Sep 2016

I don't think I've ever looked forward to hearing the entries to a Song Challenge more. ^_^

stratatonic

21 Sep 2016

I wasn't aware that you could swap .repatch with .fxp

"The Legend allows to import and export patches in Rack Extension format (.repatch), which
allows to interchange presets between Reason and VST/AU hosts"
http://www.synapse-audio.com/TheLegendManual.pdf

(Of course, you can't do that until The Legend VSTi officially comes out in a few days :) )
Last edited by stratatonic on 21 Sep 2016, edited 1 time in total.

fceramic

21 Sep 2016

I would love to get this in VST as well. Hopefully Synapse can offer a discount.

miscend

21 Sep 2016

stratatonic wrote:I wasn't aware that you could swap .repatch with .fxp

"The Legend allows to import and export patches in Rack Extension format (.repatch), which

(Of course, you can't do that until The Legend VSTi officially comes out in a few days :) )
Thats fantastic. I can imagine they'll be millions of patches made for this by VST patch developers.

ReDominator was the same. Patch compatible with the VST version. But unfortunately that synth didn't receive much support from the plugin community.

joeyluck

21 Sep 2016

miscend wrote:
stratatonic wrote:I wasn't aware that you could swap .repatch with .fxp

Thats fantastic. I can imagine they'll be millions of patches made for this by VST patch developers.

ReDominator was the same. Patch compatible with the VST version. But unfortunately that synth didn't receive much support from the plugin community.
I believe ReDominator's patches in AU/VST are already .repatch

Jmax

21 Sep 2016

Congrats to Synapese! another beauty.

stp2015

21 Sep 2016

Well done synapse! Patch compatibility is a Big deal!

SynapseAudio
RE Developer

21 Sep 2016

fceramic wrote:I would love to get this in VST as well. Hopefully Synapse can offer a discount.
We plan to make the crossgrade free of charge, just send us your PH invoice as proof of purchase once the VST is out :)

Richard

swamptooth

21 Sep 2016

SynapseAudio wrote:
fceramic wrote:I would love to get this in VST as well. Hopefully Synapse can offer a discount.
We plan to make the crossgrade free of charge, just send us your PH invoice as proof of purchase once the VST is out :)

Richard
Wow. Game changer!
You guys did a really great job on this RE!

:puf_bigsmile:

SA Studio

21 Sep 2016

SynapseAudio wrote:

Richard
Not the type to be overly smitten or anything, but I really like Synapse products. I think you guys bring excellent, quality products particularly to the Reason ethos. Well thought out and useable - can't beat that.

Can't wait to demo this synth tonight and take a shot at a song challenge - or just make a demo

Thanks again :)

altron

22 Sep 2016

This is a keeper! The filter sounds amazing and overall this synth sounds truly analogue. I dare to say this is the best VA so far in Reason. Optical design is also top notch. as always, Synapse Audio delivers!
Trap is where music goes to die.

• Information