Synapse The Legend Synthesizer is in the Shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
User avatar
fieldframe
Posts: 654
Joined: 19 Apr 2016

Post 28 Dec 2016

EnochLight wrote:My studio never looked so cool as it did when I had all of that hardware!
Sometimes I feel a little self-conscious that my studio consists only of a Mac, a keyboard, an audio interface, and reference monitors. I feel myself wanting to invest in something like Maschine, Push, or even some of the new Roland gear not so much because I think the tools will make me a better producer, but because it would make my studio feel more "serious."

So I compromise and just buy more REs instead. :lol:
Welcome to TEST FIXTURE

User avatar
tobypearce
Posts: 405
Joined: 28 Sep 2015

Post 29 Dec 2016

On the other hand, it's interesting to notice that on numerous youtube videos from more established producers, although some do have hardware in their studio, they rarely seem to use it.

In fact, although most have a midi keyboard with other button and pads, I don't think I've ever seen anyone use anything other than the midi keys themselves!

User avatar
raymondh
Posts: 1188
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 29 Dec 2016

selig wrote:
raymondh wrote:
selig wrote: <snip> Of all the music I made on Moog and Arp gear in the late 70s, I was totally limited and yearned for a simple poly synth. By the time I got my hands on a J8, Prophet 5, CS-80 <snip>
Oh come on, you're just showing off now :D
I didn't actually own any of that gear though, but it was nice to have unabated access to it for a time. [emoji12]
Nice to have great synths like legend to play with, and it's much cheaper than my Mini Moog!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
While I have your attention Giles - a big shout out for your great rack extensions. Not just the software but also the tutorial videos. I was struggling with d-essing some vocals (due to the copious reverb) on a new Pacific Deep track and your tutorial video on your De-Esser really helped. Carl & I are really happy with the final result.

So... thanks for creating these great tools!
Win 10 64-bit | :reason: 10 | Scarlet 18i8 | M-Audio Code 61 | KRK VXT-6 | JX-8P | System-8 | D-05 | JP-08 | Sirin
www.soundcloud.com/raymondhayter

User avatar
raymondh
Posts: 1188
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 29 Dec 2016

fieldframe wrote:
EnochLight wrote:My studio never looked so cool as it did when I had all of that hardware!
Sometimes I feel a little self-conscious that my studio consists only of a Mac, a keyboard, an audio interface, and reference monitors. I feel myself wanting to invest in something like Maschine, Push, or even some of the new Roland gear not so much because I think the tools will make me a better producer, but because it would make my studio feel more "serious."

So I compromise and just buy more REs instead. :lol:
You make a great point here.

The room I used to make music at home was primarily set up as a home office, to do my day job when I was at home.

I rearranged it, to "look" more like a studio - putting in a couple of bass traps, doing a bit of carpentry to fit my MIDI keyboard better, elevating my studio speakers etc. And now I call it the studio rather than the office.

As soon as I did this, I felt more inspired when I sat in the room. Simply changing the aesthetics had an impact on my creativity.

One other thing that made a difference - my MIDI keyboard was sitting in a different position from before, so where my fingers naturally hit the keys, was an octave higher. So I unintentionally changed my keyboard voicings for new tracks - they sounded brighter and more open as a result!

Worth experimenting if you feel you're in a rut!

Back on topic - I am really enjoying The Legend - the more I experiment with it the more impressed I am!
Win 10 64-bit | :reason: 10 | Scarlet 18i8 | M-Audio Code 61 | KRK VXT-6 | JX-8P | System-8 | D-05 | JP-08 | Sirin
www.soundcloud.com/raymondhayter

User avatar
eXode
Posts: 670
Joined: 11 Feb 2015

Post 29 Dec 2016

Personally, I like hardware analogue mono synths with 1:1 controls and no patch saving. I really clicked with the Studio Electronics Boomstar 5089 in particular. I find that it's not a question of sound per se, but interfacing. I tend to work and record differently with such instruments than i.e. a software synth or synths that have shared controls. I admit that I've been ogling the new DSI Sequential and Oberheim synthesizers as they have that directness as well, despite patch saving.

That said, The Legend is still great. :)

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 5511
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 29 Dec 2016

raymondh wrote:Hey Dylan - I still remember that picture you posted in bed with your Juno! Was brilliant!
You mean this one? :lol: :mrgreen:

Image

That's not actually me, but thanks! ;)
Windows 10 | Reason 10.4 |  Studio One 4.5 | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel i7 3770k Quad-Core @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro| Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 7815
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 29 Dec 2016

eXode wrote:Personally, I like hardware analogue mono synths with 1:1 controls and no patch saving. I really clicked with the Studio Electronics Boomstar 5089 in particular. I find that it's not a question of sound per se, but interfacing. I tend to work and record differently with such instruments than i.e. a software synth or synths that have shared controls. I admit that I've been ogling the new DSI Sequential and Oberheim synthesizers as they have that directness as well, despite patch saving.

That said, The Legend is still great. :)
I do see your point - for me, hardware (mixers and synths) get me closer faster, but software gets me further and more satisfied in the end.

If I could trust every decision I made and never look back, I'd have never started mixing ITB and using soft synths. But sadly, my creative process doesn't work that way. I need to re-visit things and jump around a bit during the creative process, and hardware doesn't allow me to do that at the level that software does.

What I've found is that I end up with VERY similar sounding results, sonically speaking, but much better results musically speaking when using software. If the sonics were not up to the job, I'd have given up on software long ago, but even if it DOES take a little longer in some cases to coax the great sounds out of software, it's always been worth it for the music (which is always going to win over sonics or quickness for me). :)

@ Exode, I DO love what I've heard from your modular explorations, and it seems to work great for you!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
eXode
Posts: 670
Joined: 11 Feb 2015

Post 29 Dec 2016

selig wrote:@ Exode, I DO love what I've heard from your modular explorations, and it seems to work great for you!
Except the fact that I sold it a couple of years ago... ;)

Been running ITB since last year but I am considering picking something up. I'm waiting for the NAMM2017 announcements before I make a decision though. :)

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 7815
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 29 Dec 2016

eXode wrote:
selig wrote:@ Exode, I DO love what I've heard from your modular explorations, and it seems to work great for you!
Except the fact that I sold it a couple of years ago... ;)

Been running ITB since last year but I am considering picking something up. I'm waiting for the NAMM2017 announcements before I make a decision though. :)
Oh yea, I do remember you mentioning that. :(

So many options these days - keep thinking about the Moog Mother 32 for some reason (or two or three of them…so tempting).


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
raymondh
Posts: 1188
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 30 Dec 2016

EnochLight wrote:
raymondh wrote:Hey Dylan - I still remember that picture you posted in bed with your Juno! Was brilliant!
You mean this one? :lol: :mrgreen:

Image

That's not actually me, but thanks! ;)
That was the one! Very funny :D
Win 10 64-bit | :reason: 10 | Scarlet 18i8 | M-Audio Code 61 | KRK VXT-6 | JX-8P | System-8 | D-05 | JP-08 | Sirin
www.soundcloud.com/raymondhayter

User avatar
raymondh
Posts: 1188
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 30 Dec 2016

Anyone who likes Tangerine Dream and has both The Legend and Echobode:

The Legend: Lead-Juno Space Harp DG

Send to Echobode: Delay-eX Dream Delay

just wow!! :)
Win 10 64-bit | :reason: 10 | Scarlet 18i8 | M-Audio Code 61 | KRK VXT-6 | JX-8P | System-8 | D-05 | JP-08 | Sirin
www.soundcloud.com/raymondhayter

User avatar
leonxx1983
Posts: 26
Joined: 02 Oct 2016

Post 01 Jan 2017

svenh wrote:I love the sound of this one!

Is it just me or does this take a lot of sonic space? Comparing for instance a "clean" saw wave (i.e. no filters, no fx) from Legend with one from e.g. Thor, I find the Legend wave sonically bigger. Is this because of more noise or inherent modulation (like oscillator drift) in Legend?
Yes absolutely. I've just been trying this today and I'm blown away! Just hit reset device on it and you can hear how thick the raw waveforms are and emulating this amount of thickness with other Reason synths is near impossible (you can come close but need to add effects / compressors etc.) I do wonder how such a thing is doable. This really does make Thor, Subtractor and Rob Papen's SubBoom Bass sound very lame by comparison! To my ears this is the best synth RE yet.

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 7815
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 01 Jan 2017

leonxx1983 wrote:
svenh wrote:I love the sound of this one!

Is it just me or does this take a lot of sonic space? Comparing for instance a "clean" saw wave (i.e. no filters, no fx) from Legend with one from e.g. Thor, I find the Legend wave sonically bigger. Is this because of more noise or inherent modulation (like oscillator drift) in Legend?
Yes absolutely. I've just been trying this today and I'm blown away! Just hit reset device on it and you can hear how thick the raw waveforms are and emulating this amount of thickness with other Reason synths is near impossible (you can come close but need to add effects / compressors etc.) I do wonder how such a thing is doable. This really does make Thor, Subtractor and Rob Papen's SubBoom Bass sound very lame by comparison! To my ears this is the best synth RE yet.
As far as I've noted, it's that Thor has a little less energy in the top octave of it's saw wave. I'd put what you're hearing down to this difference, but it's less likely to be noticed when using a LP filter. Also worth noting that you don't always want the "biggest" sound for every part in an arrangement.

Oscillator drift takes place over minutes or hours in an analog oscillator, and is very minor. I tend to put little value in this feature for emulating the analog counterpoint, whereas a little detuning and less-than-perfect key tracking is doing something more like what a real oscillator would do that you would notice immediately. Noise would also not be loud enough to make a noticeable difference IMO.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

mataya

Post 01 Jan 2017

I was listening and comparing the sound of "any" saw (Thor, Subtractor, Monopoly, Khs one, Nostromo, even OchenK modular) and found that none of them sounds like a pure saw from Bazzile by U-he, that I really like. They all sound thinner, even khsOne that I thought could sound "fat"...
after a lot of trying I was able to reproduce the same saw sound as Bazzile using AMMO by jiggery and yes, a single pure sound from AMMO also sounded thin.
I had to use another osc and I found the exact shape that had to be mixed with a single saw to achieve the same saw as the one n Bazzile.
Very happy that I worked it out, but kinda sad that all reason synths that I have sound thin compared to Bazzile.
This is how it looks like in AMMO...oscillator a and b are the ones to watch.
saw.jpg
M
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mataya on 01 Jan 2017, edited 1 time in total.

mataya

Post 01 Jan 2017

Actually for some reason, I lowered the volume of a second oscillator in a voltage matrix and it should be all the way up for that "beef" I was talking about.
It's obvious that a single sine or a sub oscillator didn't work. Only this waveform worked and it really worked great.

m

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 7815
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 01 Jan 2017

mataya wrote:I was listening and comparing the sound of "any" saw (Thor, Subtractor, Monopoly, Khs one, Nostromo, even OchenK modular) and found that none of them sounds like a pure saw from Bazzile by U-he, that I really like. They all sound thinner, even khsOne that I thought could sound "fat"...
after a lot of trying I was able to reproduce the same saw sound as Bazzile using AMMO by jiggery and no, a single pure sound from AMMO also sounded thin.
I had to use another osc and I found the exact shape that had to be mixed with a single saw to achieve the same saw as the one n Bazzile.
Very happy that I worked it out, but kinda sad that all reason synths that I have sound thin compared to Bazzile.
This is how it looks like in AMMO...oscillator a and b are the ones to watch.
saw.jpg
M
"Thin" is also "bright", and "fat" is often simply "dark". It's all relative and a matter of taste (and depends on what you're looking for). I often prefer a thin sound for some instruments, fwiw.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
leonxx1983
Posts: 26
Joined: 02 Oct 2016

Post 01 Jan 2017

Legend has more thickness and energy across the frequency spectrum.

chk071
Posts: 520
Joined: 12 Jul 2015
Location: Germany

Post 01 Jan 2017

Dunno how it is with this thing, but i often have to EQ Synapse's synths. They're simply a bit more "dry" by default, than some of my other synths. A bit more "thin" too.
:reason: :rebirth:

mataya

Post 01 Jan 2017

[/quote]

"Thin" is also "bright", and "fat" is often simply "dark". It's all relative and a matter of taste (and depends on what you're looking for). I often prefer a thin sound for some instruments, fwiw.

[/quote]

I couldn't get the same result by just filtering and equing the saw in reason synts. Logic tells me I should of been able, but "I" couldn't.
But more important to me is the questions...why does the Bazzile saw sound different(better to me), then all the saw's I tried in reason?
We're not talking about patches/presets sounding better, but just a single saw waveform.
I understand that sometimes you want a thin sound, but don't you want a single digital waveform sounding closer to the real world analogue oscillator, like I'm hearing in a modular type modules? Bazzile sounds closer to that. What could be the reason, reason not being able to produce a similar or even better sounding waveform.
Just demoed softube's modular, and again none of reason synths come even close to that single oscillator.
I really don't want to go "reason sound bad" road again, but I just don't understand why is this the case...a simple saw in all reason synths compared to some newer vst's...sounds worse, weak?

tx
M

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 7815
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 01 Jan 2017

mataya wrote:
"Thin" is also "bright", and "fat" is often simply "dark". It's all relative and a matter of taste (and depends on what you're looking for). I often prefer a thin sound for some instruments, fwiw.
I couldn't get the same result by just filtering and equing the saw in reason synts. Logic tells me I should of been able, but "I" couldn't.
But more important to me is the questions...why does the Bazzile saw sound different(better to me), then all the saw's I tried in reason?
We're not talking about patches/presets sounding better, but just the single saw waveform.
I understand that sometimes you want a thin sound, but don't you want a single digital waveform sounding closer to the real world analogue oscillator, like I'm hearing in a modular type modules? Bazzile sounds closer to that. What could be the reason, reason not being able to produce a similar or even better sounding waveform.
Just demoed softube's modular, and again none of reason synths come even close to that single oscillator.
I really don't want to go "reason sound bad" road again, but I just don't understand why is this the case...a simple saw in all reason synths compared to some newer vst's...sounds worse, weak?

tx
M[/quote]
Remember that even in the analog world there were "thin" and "fat" sounding modules, both oscillators and filters - choosing only one to call "analog" belies the reality of the situation IMO. ;)


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 7815
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 01 Jan 2017

mataya wrote:

I couldn't get the same result by just filtering and equing the saw in reason synts. Logic tells me I should of been able, but "I" couldn't.
But more important to me is the questions...why does the Bazzile saw sound different(better to me), then all the saw's I tried in reason?
We're not talking about patches/presets sounding better, but just the single saw waveform.
I understand that sometimes you want a thin sound, but don't you want a single digital waveform sounding closer to the real world analogue oscillator, like I'm hearing in a modular type modules? Bazzile sounds closer to that. What could be the reason, reason not being able to produce a similar or even better sounding waveform.
Just demoed softube's modular, and again none of reason synths come even close to that single oscillator.
I really don't want to go "reason sound bad" road again, but I just don't understand why is this the case...a simple saw in all reason synths compared to some newer vst's...sounds worse, weak?

tx
M
Remember that even in the analog world there were "thin" and "fat" sounding modules, both oscillators and filters - choosing only one to call "analog" belies the reality of the situation IMO. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

chk071
Posts: 520
Joined: 12 Jul 2015
Location: Germany

Post 01 Jan 2017

It is Bazille BTW, not Bazzile. Sorry to be pedantic, but, being german (Bazille is the german term for bacillus), typos like that hurt, especially when done several times successively.
:reason: :rebirth:

mataya

Post 01 Jan 2017

Ok, sorry. It sounds like Godzilla to me, maybe that's why the two l's. :)

chk071
Posts: 520
Joined: 12 Jul 2015
Location: Germany

Post 01 Jan 2017

2 L's is correct, but not 2 Z's. :D
:reason: :rebirth:

mataya

Post 01 Jan 2017

Ok, got it. So we have "good" and "better" sounding modules in an analogue world and I guess it's the same in a digital world.
I wish my self, in this happy happy 2017 that Reason will end up in a "better" group, because those little comparisons are leading me to believe it's still in that "good" group.
I'm still, almost every day, being impressed do on how fun and deep it can get. But that single saw, if it was just...oh it hurts sometimes. :)

M

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 1 guest