Synapse The Legend Synthesizer is in the Shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Noise
Competition Winner

20 Sep 2016

This one will be a instabuy when I have instamoney!
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

selig
RE Developer

20 Sep 2016

Great new synth - I may actually love the 12 dB oct filter mode more than the 24 - something about the resonance on that baby.

Minor gripe: Wish Osc 3 wasn't clamped at it's lowest setting when using as an LFO - Maybe Richard would consider un-clamping this so one could drive the LFO speed lower with external CV? Right now the slowest LFO speed is around 0.33 Hz. In contrast, most Reason LFOs go down to much lower (0.07 Hz for Thor, as one example, which is over 4 times slower). Key and tempo sync would also be nice, but I realize this was not possible on the original. External CV control WAS possible on the original, btw… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

miscend

20 Sep 2016

Didn't see this one coming.

Any one going to compare this to Diva and Monark? So we can confirm if we have the new analog modelling king.

selig
RE Developer

20 Sep 2016

Noel G. wrote:
jonheal wrote:
rcbuse wrote:
svenh wrote:It looks great and sounds great but why, oh why :?:, putting the delay and the reverb on the back panel?
My guess would be so the same UI can be used as a RE and on an iPad. Those knobs look touch friendly.
It looks really nice, but dadgummit, the left-most slider and right-most LEDs would barely fit in the enclosure, if at all.
Have you put it into a Combinator to verify? Ph wouldn't have approved it if any of the controls were not visible inside a Combinator.
I think he meant the controls may not fit inside the virtual (imaginary) chassis that would sit behind the front panel IRL. You're supposed to leave room on the front panel to support this illusion (PX7, I'm looking at YOU), or at least that's what the SDK sez. ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Yonatan

20 Sep 2016

Wow, that is a fat synth! Really like the sound and feel of it. Synapse deliver!

SynapseAudio
RE Developer

20 Sep 2016

miscend wrote:Didn't see this one coming.

Any one going to compare this to Diva and Monark? So we can confirm if we have the new analog modelling king.
Surely won't take long for users to compare :) For now you can listen to the "official" comparison files:
http://www.synapse-audio.com/legend/Leg ... rdware.zip

Couple of notes on those files:
  • You hear the same sequence twicely in each WAV file. The first is always Legend, the second half is hardware.
  • The presets shown here are included in The Legend, under the same names, in the "Vintage" subfolder.
  • The hardware part is played using the vintage Model D we mainly used as a reference. It's a unit in excellent, serviced condition and with the Lintronics MIDI mod, so we were able to use MIDI here, and thus the overall timing of notes and controller data (pitch bend) is very similar - not 100% due to the usual MIDI inaccuracies, but much closer than if we had to play the hardware live.
  • The Legend models the two main revisions of the Model D, coined Early and Late. The files above are made with the late D, which has the big advantage of having stable oscillator tunings. Of course oscillators run freely as in pretty much every analog synth, so each note will sound slightly different.
Using the clips above (and a couple more), we performed various blind tests and so far noone was able to spot the real Model D reliably. If someone thinks they can, we're happy to send over more comparison clips, where we won't tell in advance which is which. We believe it is impossible though to tell them apart.

chk071

20 Sep 2016

Hey Richard, if it is you. :) Grats to the release of your new synth. This might not be of high interest for the Reason folks, but, as my main DAW is a VST DAW, will you be releasing The Legend as a VSTi too at some point?
:reason: :rebirth:

joeyluck

20 Sep 2016

I appreciate the effects being on the back.
They are secondary to the synth's strong points and what it offers. And a strong point not being an overcrowded or larger UI. I also like that there is a single switch on the front to turn all effects on/off :thumbs_up:

I feel like this arrangement says, "Here's all you need: this is the focus of the synth. Add what external effects you want. But if you have to save on-board effects with your patches, here you go..."

tumar

20 Sep 2016

Noel G. wrote: Have you put it into a Combinator to verify? Ph wouldn't have approved it if any of the controls were not visible inside a Combinator.
Anybody? Combinator or midi assign?

stp2015

20 Sep 2016

Looks and sounds very cool! Also interesting to see the blamsoft/synapse dynamics. First blamsoft release a synth that one could argue competes with -antidote to some extent, and now synapse release A synth that appears to compete with viking!

Creativemind

20 Sep 2016

Beautiful. That Unity patch is awesome. I agree though, reverb and delay on the back. That means that it's only usable with cv routing doesn't it?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

pjeudy

20 Sep 2016

miscend wrote:Didn't see this one coming.

The problem is that, crowning a Synth King is way to relative. Instead the question might be , does this synth live amongst royalty.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

XysteR

20 Sep 2016

Oh man, when I first heard this I started sweating like a fat girl in a cake factory....... It's awesome and another slap in my wallets face :D

It seems the Synapse silence just came to fruition! Keep them coming, my bank account will always spring a leak for this kind of quality..

Tumble

20 Sep 2016

You had me at the 'Tuba' preset. Great work.

Faastwalker

20 Sep 2016

Not had a chance to try as I'm away from home for a couple of days. But very impressed with the demos. Sounds very authentic i.e. Very analog. Very nice sound with a thick, Moog like bottom end. Very impressive. Right up my street this one. Poor old Viking won't get a look in any more.

SynapseAudio
RE Developer

20 Sep 2016

selig wrote:Great new synth - I may actually love the 12 dB oct filter mode more than the 24 - something about the resonance on that baby.

Minor gripe: Wish Osc 3 wasn't clamped at it's lowest setting when using as an LFO - Maybe Richard would consider un-clamping this so one could drive the LFO speed lower with external CV? Right now the slowest LFO speed is around 0.33 Hz. In contrast, most Reason LFOs go down to much lower (0.07 Hz for Thor, as one example, which is over 4 times slower). Key and tempo sync would also be nice, but I realize this was not possible on the original. External CV control WAS possible on the original, btw… ;)
We can add an option, but in general note that pretty much all parameter ranges are authentic, i.e. when setting the oscillator rate to minimum or the resonance to 60% or whatever, you get the same result as on the hardware. This is an important aspect in preserving the feel of an analog synthesizer. Change a couple of ranges and it quickly feels like a different instrument - not to mention that some patches were actually converted from patch sheets (!) where the exact ranges are critical.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

20 Sep 2016

The demo sounds great. This might not be a synth for me, but I'm glad to see Synapse is still making great stuff for Reason.

joeyluck

20 Sep 2016

rcbuse wrote:
svenh wrote:It looks great and sounds great but why, oh why :?:, putting the delay and the reverb on the back panel?
My guess would be so the same UI can be used as a RE and on an iPad. Those knobs look touch friendly.
I think you might be right.

If you watch the video, you might notice the wood panels, which are not Reason's rack rails.
And the patch browser in the video is different. Unless it is an AU/VST... Looks like an iPad app.

FiatLux

20 Sep 2016

selig wrote:Great new synth - I may actually love the 12 dB oct filter mode more than the 24 - something about the resonance on that baby.

I would also like to request if there is a way to implement tempo sync when the OSC is used in LO mode as an LFO.
Realize it wasn't in the original, but if you are already adding Poly and Unison...Would definitely be a useful feature that I imagine
lots of users would appreciate.

bsp

20 Sep 2016

SynapseAudio wrote: Surely won't take long for users to compare :) For now you can listen to the "official" comparison files:
This RE is really impressive!
Just for fun, I compared this to my Moog Sub37 this evening (yeah, not a Model D, I know ;)) and they can sound very(!) close.

The most amazing thing is that 6 instances of this RE, each set to 4 voice unison (unison==all 4 voices, so 24 voices total, right?) takes only 2 bars of DSP (i7 4770).

All RE instances are playing simultaneously, of course (I duplicated the CV/Gate signals 6 times).

I don't really need another RE but this is just too good to give it a pass !

Here's my Legend vs Sub37 comparison. Made in a hurry and surely not as professional sounding as your Model D comparisons but some might still find this interesting:

Emian

20 Sep 2016

bsp wrote:
SynapseAudio wrote: Surely won't take long for users to compare :) For now you can listen to the "official" comparison files:
This RE is really impressive!
Just for fun, I compared this to my Moog Sub37 this evening (yeah, not a Model D, I know ;)) and they can sound very(!) close.

The most amazing thing is that 6 instances of this RE, each set to 4 voice unison (unison==all 4 voices, so 24 voices total, right?) takes only 2 bars of DSP (i7 4770).

All RE instances are playing simultaneously, of course (I duplicated the CV/Gate signals 6 times).

I don't really need another RE but this is just too good to give it a pass !

Here's my Legend vs Sub37 comparison. Made in a hurry and surely not as professional sounding as your Model D comparisons but some might still find this interesting:
thanks for this !!! i believe teh originall sub37 has more 'phatty' in the lower notes, but in the high ones the Legend suits my ears better !!!

alltough i don't want to compare this to eXpanse; i'll trial this tomorrow & it might suit my needs more then Expanse ....

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

dvdrtldg

20 Sep 2016

Faastwalker wrote:Poor old Viking won't get a look in any more.
At first I thought the same thing, but it seems that Viking has more tweakability - I really like the way the waveforms in Viking can morph into each other rather than a hard switch. Plus there's the mod matrix and a few other bits & pieces. Legend has the fatter sound straight out of the box and I'll probably pick it up at some point, but I can still see myself continuing to use Viking

Big fan of Viking

Libraquaricorn

20 Sep 2016

I'm drooling all over this but I do own and love Viking so this lovely piece of gear I really don't need. If I didn't already own Viking though...It would be intersting to see an in-depth comparison of the two. Ok, so Legend has poly, but the lack of that in Viking has never bothered me. If money wasn't an issue I would buy Legend instantly, way before I'd consider buying Expanse. Now, I wonder if a certain legendary synth manufacturer will make them change the GUI, as I think I remember happening to Viking back when that was released....

Libraquaricorn

20 Sep 2016

Those "Cinematic Strings" are awesome though.......drooooooooool.........

normen

20 Sep 2016

Libraquaricorn wrote:Those "Cinematic Strings" are awesome though.......drooooooooool.........
Indeed and dat reverb..! I don't buy many synths but this is just too juicy to pass on it...

• Information