Synapse The Legend Synthesizer is in the Shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
jfrichards

13 Oct 2016

bpmorton wrote:...Don't hear anything that I can't do with Thor alone or Thor with Audiomatic or a couple other stock devices...
Reason 9 proved that the potential great synth patches available using stock devices is far from exhausted. Stock Reason sounds are only limited by ability and creativity. Serious sound designers have a lifetime of sounds ahead of them with Reason, just like with Reaktor. There are sounds coming with Reason that are way beyond what The Legend can accomplish. However, The Legend has a major advantage over stock Reason, and that is 1) You get the original sound abilities and tweakabilities of the MiniMoog which stand out as part of the pinnacle of music that occurred in the late 60's and early 70's, in this case in the realm of electronics; 2) Musicians can move from classic MiniMoog sound to classic MiniMoog sound instantly using MiniMoog control knobs, and using a set of presets, letting you create music immediately, which is amazing for workflow, for both composition and live performance; 3) We get to learn and integrate the great MiniMoog sound into the modern environment, where it fits like a glove; and 4) We live to see the day when the fundamental criticism of Reason, that it will never compare with great analog equipment, gets laid to rest.

Exowildebeest

13 Oct 2016

selig wrote:
Exowildebeest wrote:...This also goes for Propellerheads and the Combinator which still doesn't have Velocity as a control source... While it does have the relatively obscure Breath and Expression Controllers... :?
Points taken…

Of the Combinator sources, velocity would be the only control source that is polyphonic, making it problematic if not impossible to use as a source to control a knob etc. in all cases except for a monophonic destination.

Plus, it's so easy to slap an RPG8 in a Combi and hook it to a CV input as a monophonic velocity source for the occasions where you'd need it (which have so far not come up for me until now, thanks to working with Legend!). :)
Great tip :thumbs_up:

Regarding the possibility of velocity as a mod source, yeah, polyphony is a problem... But could be overcome by some simple rules (possibly customizable) for note prioritization. It doesn't seem like something that Propellerheads couldn't find a smart solution to :) That said, it also seems like something that's probably dangling on the lower end of the future feature list.

bpmorton

13 Oct 2016

Ok guys I know when I've been beaten. I'm gonna go home now and practice on my "$100 Les Paul copy". LOL

joeyluck

14 Oct 2016

bpmorton wrote:Ok guys I know when I've been beaten. I'm gonna go home now and practice on my "$100 Les Paul copy". LOL
Haha. Well as I said, I think you did a great job emulating the patches. Similarly, Ed Bauman (EditEd4TV) always blows my mind by capturing patches so closely to the originals. That takes incredible skill. Of course, I will buy his ReFills for the sounds/patches I want, but not for the synths they emulate. Because that's a different world when you get into interface, parameter behavior, and distinct characterization.

SynapseAudio
RE Developer

14 Oct 2016

bpmorton wrote:Ok guys I know when I've been beaten. I'm gonna go home now and practice on my "$100 Les Paul copy". LOL
You don't need to practice, you have done a great job! There is just technical limits to how close you can get. Let's take the ladder filter as an example. Suppose there was a computationally cheap way to emulate the ladder filter with all its transistor non-linearities faithfully, we would have employed such a trick long ago. But there is no such shortcut, because the non-linearities in the filter interact with the signal and cutoff frequency in a complex way (*). Using a saturator pre- or postfilter for example won't cut it, because that forms a perfectly separated block that does not interact with the filter in any way. Similarly, if you try to simulate a tube amp with a digital distortion plus EQ, you can get very nice tones that way but it's not nearly the same. And the filter is just one component, the oscillators, envelopes, VCA, glide etc matter as well ;)

(*) One basic test that can be performed on a filter is to enable self-oscillation without any signal, while choosing a constant cutoff frequency (e.g. 1 khz). Now turn up the resonance gradually from the point on where self-oscillation begins. If you hear the cutoff frequency drift down or up just a little bit, then you probably face an analog or analog-modeled filter with non-linearities inside.

Richard

Marco Raaphorst

15 Oct 2016

SynapseAudio wrote:Similarly, if you try to simulate a tube amp with a digital distortion plus EQ, you can get very nice tones that way but it's not nearly the same.
Maybe an idea for your next project? I am absolutely sure we can go beyond what's currently available in amp simulation. Plus all these cool guitar effects. Finding that unexpected non-lineair magic is fun. And I think we can go beyond that. Like you have proven with The Legend which imo has more to offer than a real Minimoog. It's here were code shows the world that digital truly is the next step in perfecting sound forever. And as you might understand, with perfect I also mean that imperfect randomness which is so super cool about non-lineair stuff. That's the reason (!) I play guitar. It is such an expressive and dynamic instrument, I LOVE it.

Consider it: amps and pedals in code.

Loque

15 Oct 2016

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
SynapseAudio wrote:Similarly, if you try to simulate a tube amp with a digital distortion plus EQ, you can get very nice tones that way but it's not nearly the same.
Maybe an idea for your next project? I am absolutely sure we can go beyond what's currently available in amp simulation. Plus all these cool guitar effects. Finding that unexpected non-lineair magic is fun. And I think we can go beyond that. Like you have proven with The Legend which imo has more to offer than a real Minimoog. It's here were code shows the world that digital truly is the next step in perfecting sound forever. And as you might understand, with perfect I also mean that imperfect randomness which is so super cool about non-lineair stuff. That's the reason (!) I play guitar. It is such an expressive and dynamic instrument, I LOVE it.

I agree with something really innvoative, not so much with amps and pedals, but i realize Reason is used by many guitar players. Why not something simple like a Phase Correlation meter? I still miss this in Reason and its pretty easy to code...
Reason12, Win10

SynapseAudio
RE Developer

15 Oct 2016

Marco Raaphorst wrote:

Yeah that would be fun, though Kuassa/Blamsoft already beat us to it. Then again there is of course plenty of amps and stomp boxes left that could be simulated. We'll think about it :)

Richard

Exowildebeest

15 Oct 2016

SynapseAudio wrote:
Marco Raaphorst wrote:

Yeah that would be fun, though Kuassa/Blamsoft already beat us to it. Then again there is of course plenty of amps and stomp boxes left that could be simulated. We'll think about it :)

Richard
Since you guys seem to be pretty good at filters and drive... Something inspired by Sherman Filterbank would be cool :)

jfrichards

15 Oct 2016

SynapseAudio wrote:...there is of course plenty of amps and stomp boxes left that could be simulated. We'll think about it :)

Richard
Thank you. If you could do for guitarists what you have done for synth players with Legend, we will love you forever (we already love Kuassa).

CR68

15 Oct 2016

SHERMAN FILTERBANK!!!!! pls do that richard => Instant-buy from me!

hm i also want an elektron machinedrum "clone" :) or something similar

Marco Raaphorst

15 Oct 2016

It would also be cool to just put the filter and overdrive of The Legend in a small RE unit. Nice for guitar. Like the Moog pedals.

SynapseAudio
RE Developer

16 Oct 2016

Marco Raaphorst wrote:It would also be cool to just put the filter and overdrive of The Legend in a small RE unit. Nice for guitar. Like the Moog pedals.
Actually The Legend has external audio inputs on the back panel :) If you want to use it as a pure processor for guitar, you just need to send a long note its way to open the VCA. Another alternative would be our AF-4 filter.

Richard

Marco Raaphorst

16 Oct 2016

SynapseAudio wrote:
Marco Raaphorst wrote:It would also be cool to just put the filter and overdrive of The Legend in a small RE unit. Nice for guitar. Like the Moog pedals.
Actually The Legend has external audio inputs on the back panel :) If you want to use it as a pure processor for guitar, you just need to send a long note its way to open the VCA. Another alternative would be our AF-4 filter.

Richard
Yes I know

SynapseAudio
RE Developer

17 Oct 2016

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
SynapseAudio wrote:

Richard
Yes I know
Btw we thought about opening the VCA envelope automatically for the external audio ins when using The Legend as an FX device. It sure would be a lot easier to use then. So a question to everybody, is there anyone who specifically uses the VCA envelope for any external processing?

Richard

riemac

17 Oct 2016

SynapseAudio wrote:
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
SynapseAudio wrote:

Richard
Yes I know
Btw we thought about opening the VCA envelope automatically for the external audio ins when using The Legend as an FX device. It sure would be a lot easier to use then. So a question to everybody, is there anyone who specifically uses the VCA envelope for any external processing?

Richard
I doen't know about the VCA envelope. For external use of the filter only the filter envelope is very important for me.
When you change the audio input method, could you please add an on/off-switch for the filter, so that it is possible to use the fx only.
This would help to reduce the cpu, when the legend is used as send fx for the reverb.

Marco Raaphorst

17 Oct 2016

I am using synth filters on many things like my guitar. With Thor also but triggering the filter is a bit tricky.

SynapseAudio
RE Developer

18 Oct 2016

We have updated The Legend to v1.0.3. This introduces major performance improvements, now the performance is much closer to the VST/AU. As I wrote earlier, somehow the vectorization (i.e. processing four voices in parallel) did not work nearly as well as in the VST, and finally we found out the reason for this :)

Richard

marcuswitt

18 Oct 2016

SynapseAudio wrote:We have updated The Legend to v1.0.3. This introduces major performance improvements, now the performance is much closer to the VST/AU. As I wrote earlier, somehow the vectorization (i.e. processing four voices in parallel) did not work nearly as well as in the VST, and finally we found out the reason for this :)

Richard
Many thanks, Richard! Fantastic work!!!

And regarding that toppic, in which some users were mentioning the use of The Legend's filters for external signals: maybe you can implement a switch on your RE's rear panel for each of the Envelopes to keep them open individually, whereof those settings will be stored with each individual patch (???). I think that would satisfy the majority of The Legend's users. Cheers... and Best regards from Bavaria to Baden-Wuertemberg... ;)

Majestik Monkey

18 Oct 2016

SynapseAudio wrote:We have updated The Legend to v1.0.3. This introduces major performance improvements, now the performance is much closer to the VST/AU. As I wrote earlier, somehow the vectorization (i.e. processing four voices in parallel) did not work nearly as well as in the VST, and finally we found out the reason for this :)

Richard
Well done Richard that is a Legendary Update ' :puf_bigsmile:

No i'm serious ! the difference is remarkable in Cpu usage .....

eusti

18 Oct 2016

Majestik Monkey wrote:

Richard
Well done Richard that is a Legendary Update ' :puf_bigsmile:

No i'm serious ! the difference is remarkable in Cpu usage .....
Good to know. Haven't tested it yet, but am looking forward to it... Sound examples are fabulous!

D.

riemac

18 Oct 2016

Richard
Fantastic update Richard, now I'm sold and got my believe back in Reason ;-)
Before I could run 15 instances of the Legend, after update 45!

With this new technology, would it be possible to improve the performance of Antidote as well (not that it is bad in the first place)?

OverneathTheSkyBridg

18 Oct 2016

dvdrtldg wrote:
bpmorton wrote:this should not devolve into the "kong look no further" thread.
To be fair, that thread was fucking epic. A spectacular rainbow of human idiocy
I've been away from the forum for a few days and missed this thread. Was it removed? Can't find it.

selig
RE Developer

18 Oct 2016

OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:
dvdrtldg wrote:
bpmorton wrote:this should not devolve into the "kong look no further" thread.
To be fair, that thread was fucking epic. A spectacular rainbow of human idiocy
I've been away from the forum for a few days and missed this thread. Was it removed? Can't find it.

The original thread was in the old PUF, not here.
:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

18 Oct 2016

The update made a difference on the DSP bar for sure. I loaded up my track I wrote for the song challenge. Before the update the track stuttered like crazy in Reason, but now it plays everything through fine.

The only weird thing I noticed was that one particular instrument (with Legend) sounded different, a lot bassier. That happened after the update. I'm not sure what's happening, if it's due to the changes in The Legend or something else is going on, but there's a difference.
Oh well, the song is rendered and officially released anyway. I'm not gonna change anything at this point.

• Information