Malstrom Louder Vid ! :D

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Majestik Monkey

12 Sep 2016

The Plot is Simple :puf_bigsmile:

Pipe out Malstrom's Audio L/R too 2 Audio Merger's / Daisy-Chained !!!!
Pipe out the Merger's to a 6/2 Mixer ....... & then use Pan-Law to find a Nice [ Spread ] as shown in the Vid :

Try it yourself ' that's if you don't already do it ;)

But i am sure some of the newer member's will like this little trick ,,,,

Feedback Welcome ! Jamie. O yes ' Try it with Subtractor too ..............
Last edited by Majestik Monkey on 12 Sep 2016, edited 1 time in total.

dvdrtldg

12 Sep 2016

Not to nitpick, but why go via the audio merger? Why not go straight into the splitter?

To enhance the effect, it can be good to automate some of the Aux Sends via CV, just a little bit is enough to get a sense of space & movement

Last edited by dvdrtldg on 12 Sep 2016, edited 1 time in total.

QVprod

12 Sep 2016

I'm not sure if I'd say this makes it phatter. Essentially this similar to applying unison, but since there's no detuning happening you've basically just made the patch louder.

It might however possibly work to add a little bit of width (as well as volume) to a stereo source such as on the Vesper patch, but on the sawtooth wave all it did was add volume.

A better way would be to use multiple Malstroms and detune them.
Last edited by QVprod on 12 Sep 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Abstrax

12 Sep 2016

Yeah, this is essentially the same thing as turning the volume up.

Majestik Monkey

12 Sep 2016

God dam it ' that's my Bubble popped :lol: I thought ide stumbled on to something !

Thanks for replying Abstrax & Qvprod , dvdrtldg.... & yes i see now that Detuning is probably the only way
to actually creating Phattness

Ok Renamed LOUDER ' To justify the Vid :oops:

QVprod

12 Sep 2016

It's understandable. The ears are very easy to trick. especially with things like volume. It's always a good idea to volume match things to hear what differences are made if any.

dvdrtldg

12 Sep 2016

I often split the signal from a synth and run it thru the line mixer with panning, but you need to have something slightly different happening on each line mixer channel for it to register as wide

In the above case I'm playing with the aux sends of the first four channels (controlled by Little LFO, whose four frequencies are set to slightly different rates). But another really cool thing is to have each signal from the splitter running through an instance of Synchronous, with basically the same patch in each instance but just a tiny variation or two in the patch settings. Then do your L/R panning and taste the awesomeness

selig
RE Developer

13 Sep 2016

Majestik Monkey wrote:God dam it ' that's my Bubble popped :lol: I thought ide stumbled on to something !

Thanks for replying Abstrax & Qvprod , dvdrtldg.... & yes i see now that Detuning is probably the only way

The lesson to learn here, if you've not yet experienced for yourself, is that louder always sounds better. It doesn't just sound "louder" in most cases, it really does sound better. Listeners will describe all sorts of positive attributes to a mix that's even a dB or so louder than a copy of the same exact mix, but it ISN'T actually any better, it's just louder. But that's how our brain works, and it's important to use that knowledge wisely.

One example - if you make an A/B comparison and choose "B", try this: turn "B" down 1-3 dB and listen again. Even when "B" is SOFTER, does it still sound "better"? If yes, then it's likely really an improvement. But if the only time an EQ or Compression effect sounds better than the original is when it's louder, I say turn off the effect (or change settings) - that's no better odds than when it's the same exact signal!

Example two: bumping a chorus up 1 dB is not unheard of in the mastering world. If louder really is better, it will make your choruses sound better. Caveat: you can really only do this once or twice in a song, as you have to keep lowering the level back down on the verses which may or may not work out.

Related example: turn an individual track up a dB or so at a key moment in the mix to re-focus attention back on it. Opposite effect: turning a track down by only a few dB can sometimes "hide" it in the mix without it actually going away. :)

PS, I did the exact same thing with the notch filter in Dr Oct Rex a few years back, thinking I found a way to really fatten it up - only to find out it was really just adding gain (I set the filter all the way up or all the way down and used a high Q to make sure there was no notching of key frequencies). This is how we learn… ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Majestik Monkey

13 Sep 2016

selig wrote:
Majestik Monkey wrote:God dam it ' that's my Bubble popped :lol: I thought ide stumbled on to something !

The lesson to learn here, if you've not yet experienced for yourself, is that louder always sounds better. It doesn't just sound "louder" in most cases, it really does sound better. Listeners will describe all sorts of positive attributes to a mix that's even a dB or so louder than a copy of the same exact mix, but it ISN'T actually any better, it's just louder. But that's how our brain works, and it's important to use that knowledge wisely.

One example - if you make an A/B comparison and choose "B", try this: turn "B" down 1-3 dB and listen again. Even when "B" is SOFTER, does it still sound "better"? If yes, then it's likely really an improvement. But if the only time an EQ or Compression effect sounds better than the original is when it's louder, I say turn off the effect (or change settings) - that's no better odds than when it's the same exact signal!

Example two: bumping a chorus up 1 dB is not unheard of in the mastering world. If louder really is better, it will make your choruses sound better. Caveat: you can really only do this once or twice in a song, as you have to keep lowering the level back down on the verses which may or may not work out.

Related example: turn an individual track up a dB or so at a key moment in the mix to re-focus attention back on it. Opposite effect: turning a track down by only a few dB can sometimes "hide" it in the mix without it actually going away. :)

PS, I did the exact same thing with the notch filter in Dr Oct Rex a few years back, thinking I found a way to really fatten it up - only to find out it was really just adding gain (I set the filter all the way up or all the way down and used a high Q to make sure there was no notching of key frequencies). This is how we learn… ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you Giles ' you're little tips are always most welcome Here !

I do at times push different sections of my Tunes volume wise ' But only very subtly ! as you say Re-focusing & or trying to create subtle dynamic's
Even tho my theory fell flat on it's face & the fact that i went out of my way Creating a "TON" of Malstrom Patches, All with the exact same Routing's i am still happy that people "chipped in" to bring me back down to earth :puf_bigsmile: i will take QVprods Tip & throw in a second Malstrom
& Detune them , to acheive some real Phattness . :thumbs_up:

• Information