Introducing CVA-7 CV Analyzer Preview (needs help testing/design!)

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
challism

22 Nov 2016

The new GUI looks fantastic! Nice work, there. :)
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Faastwalker

22 Nov 2016

challism wrote:The new GUI looks fantastic! Nice work, there. :)
Are you seeing this as a beta tester? (I couldn't see an image in the thread so assuming so).

WongoTheSane

22 Nov 2016

Faastwalker wrote:
Are you seeing this as a beta tester? (I couldn't see an image in the thread so assuming so).
It's in the message before last on page 5. Just a teaser though, not the full device.

Faastwalker

22 Nov 2016

WongoTheSane wrote:
Faastwalker wrote:
It's in the message before last on page 5. Just a teaser though, not the full device.
Ah the icon image? Is that how it looks now? Very swish if it is. Looking forward to this one ;)

pongasoft
RE Developer

29 Nov 2016

Another update: the device is ready to go and has been approved. That being said, it has now been a full week since I contacted Properllerhead support in regards to not be able to create the shop page for the new RE. No response... Unfortunately the ball is not on my side and I don't know what to do. If anybody can help, that would be appreciated.

selig
RE Developer

29 Nov 2016

pongasoft wrote:Another update: the device is ready to go and has been approved. That being said, it has now been a full week since I contacted Properllerhead support in regards to not be able to create the shop page for the new RE. No response... Unfortunately the ball is not on my side and I don't know what to do. If anybody can help, that would be appreciated.
PM me if you have questions regarding building a store page - unless it's an error on their side of some sort.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Loque

29 Nov 2016

pongasoft wrote:Another update: the device is ready to go and has been approved. That being said, it has now been a full week since I contacted Properllerhead support in regards to not be able to create the shop page for the new RE. No response... Unfortunately the ball is not on my side and I don't know what to do. If anybody can help, that would be appreciated.
Relax... Some guys work hard for their money, some dont. Maybe the hard working ppl are on vacation...
Reason12, Win10

pongasoft
RE Developer

29 Nov 2016

selig wrote: PM me if you have questions regarding building a store page - unless it's an error on their side of some sort.
:)
Thanks for the offer but I do know how to build a page. There is an issue in the flow which won't let you build one without a sale. I hope that it was due to Black Friday/Cyber Monday but now that it is over I was expecting things to be back to normal.

moofi

19 Nov 2021

Thank you for this interesting device. :puf_smile:

I say interesting because modulating the graph point through a combinator with any CV-source (including control knob automation) while outputting through the AUX CV-out and Live View being deactivated, creates new modulation sources, like these two waveforms, Í´d like to name "Batman" and "Boobs" :-D
The modulation source basically scrubs through the sampled waveform.
The range of the sampled wave can then be altered from it´s endpoint onwards by using the zoom knob.
A zoom value of 1 is the shortest range that merely puts out a constant value.
The greates range is accordingly at 100.

A triangle being the modulation source like shown in this case is simply mirroring the sampled waveform where you can shift the left mirror axis with the zoom knob like mentioned.

Batman
Batman.jpg
Batman.jpg (37.86 KiB) Viewed 677 times
Boobs
Boobs.jpg
Boobs.jpg (27.39 KiB) Viewed 677 times
Original Waveform produced by LoveOne´s BZR-1
Original.jpg
Original.jpg (36.37 KiB) Viewed 677 times
Last edited by moofi on 19 Nov 2021, edited 1 time in total.

moofi

19 Nov 2021

If you use complex waveforms as a modulation source, the resulting new wave form become accordingly more complex.
Like in this case with a second BZR-1 being the modulation source.
The second BZR-1 output is still fairly commonly shaped like shown in the second picture.

Created waveform
BZR-1.jpg
BZR-1.jpg (54.24 KiB) Viewed 674 times
BZR-1 modulation source
BZR-1 modulation source.jpg
BZR-1 modulation source.jpg (49.81 KiB) Viewed 674 times
Original waveform
Original.jpg
Original.jpg (36.37 KiB) Viewed 674 times

pongasoft
RE Developer

19 Nov 2021

moofi wrote:
19 Nov 2021
If you use complex waveforms as a modulation source, the resulting new wave form become accordingly more complex.
The second BZR-1 output is still fairly commonly shaped like shown in the second picture.

Created waveform
BZR-1.jpg

BZR-1 modulation source

Original waveform
Original.jpg
Thank you for sharing. Although CVA-7 was designed to view/analyze a CV source, indeed having Aux out can lead to "interesting" results, hence the feature "Use AUX OUT CVs for controlling other devices in a creative way" (https://pongasoft.com/rack-extensions/CVA7.html)

challism

19 Nov 2021

moofi wrote:
19 Nov 2021

I say interesting because modulating the graph point through a combinator with any CV-source (including control knob automation) while outputting through the AUX CV-out and Live View being deactivated, creates new modulation sources, like these two waveforms, Í´d like to name "Batman" and "Boobs" :-D
The range of the sampled wave can then be altered from it´s endpoint onwards by using the zoom knob.

A triangle being the modulation source like shown in this case is simply mirroring the sampled waveform where you can shift the left mirror axis with the zoom knob like mentioned.

Batman
Batman.jpg
Boobs
Boobs.jpg
Original.jpg
My favorite is the second one. Not sure why.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

moofi

19 Nov 2021

Yes, I especially like it for that purpose. Only downside is, not being able to store the sampled wave. It doesn´t save along the song either, mabye it´s because whensoever I load a song, the live view button is turned on regardless of it being turned off during saving.

pongasoft wrote:
19 Nov 2021
moofi wrote:
19 Nov 2021

Created waveform
BZR-1.jpg

BZR-1 modulation source

Original waveform
Original.jpg
Thank you for sharing. Although CVA-7 was designed to view/analyze a CV source, indeed having Aux out can lead to "interesting" results, hence the feature "Use AUX OUT CVs for controlling other devices in a creative way" (https://pongasoft.com/rack-extensions/CVA7.html)

moofi

19 Nov 2021

Yes, I wonder why that is? :-D

Btw here is one especially ladies could like :-D
CnB.jpg
CnB.jpg (24.41 KiB) Viewed 623 times
challism wrote:
19 Nov 2021
moofi wrote:
19 Nov 2021

Batman
Batman.jpg
Boobs
Boobs.jpg
Original.jpg
My favorite is the second one. Not sure why.

moofi

19 Nov 2021

Oh and I just noticed, the within a Combi assignable "graph select" parameter moves the slider through the wave, introducing an additional modulation source when being modulated, so basically "Graph scroll" shifts the waveform while "Graph select" moves the slider, that would make it something like a carrier with two modulators, though it´s different from standard FM-synthesis.

Btw is there any specific reason why the CPU-usage here jumps from 1% to 16% when Live View is deactivated and the zoom knob fully turned to the left though it already gradually increases when turning the knob to the left from the very right.

pongasoft
RE Developer

19 Nov 2021

moofi wrote:
19 Nov 2021

Btw is there any specific reason why the CPU-usage here jumps from 1% to 16% when Live View is deactivated and the zoom knob fully turned to the left though it already gradually increases when turning the knob to the left from the very right.
Not that I can think of. When I have some spare cycles, I will take a look

Also, in regards to saving, yes the device does not save the waveform at this time.

Yan

moofi

19 Nov 2021

Allight, thank you. I am still on an i7 3770k, so your percentage dynamcis might be less intense. For comparison, Softubes TSAR-1 uses around 11% here.

I just created a Combinator 2 for it, because when using two CVA-7 for stereoanalysis I wanted to be able to adjust the parameters of both devices simultaneously.
I found the "scale" parameter not to be assignable. Could this potentially be implemented easily?

Then you recently asked about an idea for a new RE complimenting the Combinator.

I suggest a syncable stereo CV/Audio Recorder (including a stretch to bars function) with two of CVA-7´s displays on top of each other for channel L+R (1+2) plus individual (though linkable) "Graph select", "Graph scroll", "Zoom" "Scale", "Colour" and "Live View" parameters plus mute buttons, possibly along 4 bankslots for each channel (at least being saved along the song.) Also individual yet linkable input + output gain. Regarding the bankslots, if possible you could link them in series by clicking on each bank slot in a subsequent order (e.g. while pressing "alt").

One could choose for both channels individually, wether the input source is CV or audio.

Potentially even morphing the two recorded waveforms into each other through two linkable parameter knobs could be possible.
If they are linked they behave like: "At 10%, channel 1 morphs into channel 2 by 10% and vice versa."

On the back of the device both channels could additionally be output through a combined single output (one for audio, one for CV) and also have additional individual and combined/related ouput options like halfwave rectifying and Min/Max selection (choosable via displays on the back).

On the front most parameters could be mirror placed above and beneath the two displays, freeing up space for the greater width of the screens.
The displays could furthermore contain automatable/adressable/CV-able start/end markers.

Each channel could have the option to not only run freely like CVA-7 does but use synced playback modes (1-shot/loop, fwd, bwd, fwd-bwd) when being triggered by a CV- or MIDI-signal.That way you could even turn the waveforms into some sort of playable oscillators/sample/loop player.

Also the Live View buttons could be modulatable through trigger inputs on the back while being in free mode.

• Information