Introducing CVA-7 CV Analyzer Preview (needs help testing/design!)

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
WongoTheSane

06 Oct 2016

pongasoft wrote:
WongoTheSane wrote: Although I'm not 100% sure because it changes when moving the zoom knob (I was playing with a [-256...256] signal). Notice the fact the vertical lines are the same color as the clipping color.
This looks like a bug. If you have a way to reproduce I would take it.
Here is the combi patch. Just load it, no need to do anything, I've automated the scale knob.
aliasing.zip
(1.79 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
...and the gif in case you don't see it with the patch:
cva-aliasing.gif
cva-aliasing.gif (96.33 KiB) Viewed 2640 times
pongasoft wrote:I tried really hard with the colors. I think the issue is that although I am painting lines with a solid color (no alpha!), with a regular line full red and a clipping line full white, the end result is a mix of the 2 colors most likely due to anti aliasing in the drawing calls (which unfortunately I have no control over :( ). I will play with it more to see if I can get better results.
Wait... I've just captured the above gif, and it got me thinking: it didn't happen before preview 7, so clipping is probably somehow involved in the problem. Is it possible that when the clipping is important enough, the slopes won't be slopes but just vertical lines (because they represent less than 37 samples @ zoom 100 for instance), and a part of those samples clip, so the line gets to be white? And that doesn't happen all the time because is depends where exactly the sample range falls on that slope? It's quite blurry in my mind, sorry if it's confusing... I'll try another way: it looks like the line gets the color property from the sample range it represents (which is logical somehow: the line does indeed represent X samples, and one or several of those samples clip, so the line should be white), while I would have expected only the graphics display to handle the clipping information (if (y==127 | y==-127) & value>clipping_threshold then color(y) = white, else red for all other values of y). But I don't know how the SDK works so I may be waaayyy off...

challism

07 Oct 2016

Heads up, guys. This newest beta (#12) is going to break any songs you have saved with CVA-7 in them. My advice is to delete any instances of the device and save the song before downloading the newest version of CVA-7. If you already downloaded it, you will have to delete CVA-7 from your authorizer/rack, then open the broken song, delete all instances of the empty/missing RE and save the song again. Then download CVA-7 after you fix all your saved songs.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

pongasoft
RE Developer

08 Oct 2016

challism wrote:Heads up, guys. This newest beta (#12) is going to break any songs you have saved with CVA-7 in them. My advice is to delete any instances of the device and save the song before downloading the newest version of CVA-7. If you already downloaded it, you will have to delete CVA-7 from your authorizer/rack, then open the broken song, delete all instances of the empty/missing RE and save the song again. Then download CVA-7 after you fix all your saved songs.
I do apologize for not having been clear about this, but indeed it is a work in progress device (especially after all the amazing feedback I have received). As a result, until version 1.0 is officially released in the store, I am trying to build the best device I can and it means tinkering with a bunch of internal stuff which makes it not (usually) backward compatible from preview to preview (and the last preview will very unlikely be backward compatible with 1.0 either). I would definitely not recommend to use the device in one of your song at this stage. That being said, if you do, you can still continue (although it is a bit painful) and you do have to follow the steps described by @challism when you upgrade.

pongasoft
RE Developer

08 Oct 2016

Preview 8 (1.0.0d13) is now live for beta testers (this one is backward compatible with Preview 7 :)

* Fixed the drawing issues pointed out by @WongoTheSane

WongoTheSane

08 Oct 2016

pongasoft wrote:Preview 8 (1.0.0d13) is now live for beta testers (this one is backward compatible with Preview 7 :)

* Fixed the drawing issues pointed out by @WongoTheSane
Yeaaah! Works perfectly!!

I've just done some tests and I've realised something weird. I've analysed the sine signals from Pulsar, LittleLFO and Elements:DS-LFO from AirRaid Audio, all of them at 100% level and without any fancy modulation (like phase shifting or lag or whatever). I get this:

Pulsar:
Min = -1.00114
Max = 1.00109

LittleLFO:
Min = -0.99995
Max = 0.99995

Elements:DS-LFO:
Min = -1.00000
Max = 1.00000

Different algorithms for different people I guess? I was also surprised to see that there is some amount of fluctuation in both Pulsar and LittleLFO: the Min and Max vary a little bit (.00005%) from one 5-second window to another, while Elements:DS-LFO is rock solid and always symetric around the zero-axis. Just a hunch, but it might be because Elements is doing calculations in double precision and not the others.

In any case, not something to worry about (it's a very slight flutter at the fifth decimal, even dogs won't hear it), but it's fun and no one would ever have know were it not for CVA. :D

pongasoft
RE Developer

12 Oct 2016

Just making sure that the values you were seeing were when zoomed max as this is the only way to make sure that it's not influenced by zoom level.

WongoTheSane

12 Oct 2016

pongasoft wrote:Just making sure that the values you were seeing were when zoomed max as this is the only way to make sure that it's not influenced by zoom level.
I was at max zoom, but don't worry, it doesn't come from CVA but from the devices themselves (trade-off between speed and accuracy, I guess).

Preview 8 is really stable here. Haven't had a problem yet.

pongasoft
RE Developer

12 Oct 2016

sweet :)

If you (or somebody else) have the capability to check at different sample rates (like all the way to 192k) that would help. I am a bit limited on my side :)

WongoTheSane

12 Oct 2016

I just checked everything up to 192k, no problems whatsoever (Windows 7). When stacking just one Pulsar and 40 instances of CVA (all chained), I get 3 bars on the CPU @ 192k, and only one bar @ 44.1kHz.

pongasoft
RE Developer

13 Oct 2016

WongoTheSane wrote:I just checked everything up to 192k, no problems whatsoever (Windows 7). When stacking just one Pulsar and 40 instances of CVA (all chained), I get 3 bars on the CPU @ 192k, and only one bar @ 44.1kHz.
Thanks so much for checking that it works. I can't imagine anybody using 40 CVAs but that would be the worst case scenario :thumbs_up:

Also thanks for confirming that Preview 8 is working great. I did find a tiny bug which I fixed already: if you hook up a matrix/curve, set it to +1.0 so that you get a flat line on CVA-7 at the max level, then change zoom level to exactly 91... you will see that the flatline is not a flatline anymore :) It's due to rounding errors that make the value slightly higher than 1.0 many digits below... hate imprecise math!

WongoTheSane

13 Oct 2016

pongasoft wrote:I did find a tiny bug which I fixed already: if you hook up a matrix/curve, set it to +1.0 so that you get a flat line on CVA-7 at the max level, then change zoom level to exactly 91... you will see that the flatline is not a flatline anymore :) It's due to rounding errors that make the value slightly higher than 1.0 many digits below... hate imprecise math!
Wow, well spotted. I know the feeling, sometimes I wish every calculation in a FPU was done in Decimal type. Too costly, I know, but it would solve problems like these (or representing 0.1 in float for instance)...

Loque

13 Oct 2016

WongoTheSane wrote:
pongasoft wrote:I did find a tiny bug which I fixed already: if you hook up a matrix/curve, set it to +1.0 so that you get a flat line on CVA-7 at the max level, then change zoom level to exactly 91... you will see that the flatline is not a flatline anymore :) It's due to rounding errors that make the value slightly higher than 1.0 many digits below... hate imprecise math!
Wow, well spotted. I know the feeling, sometimes I wish every calculation in a FPU was done in Decimal type. Too costly, I know, but it would solve problems like these (or representing 0.1 in float for instance)...
Still impossible or try to represent 1/3 as an example. You have to deal with it... Some devs nowadays dunno how accurate is a float... Lol
Reason12, Win10

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

08 Nov 2016

pongasoft wrote:
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:Looks interesting, someone was asking this sort of thing today..

If you need anymore testers.... @Poohbear69

Regards
Added

Thanks
Any chance you can renew my license? (need it for sound design !!!!!)

Thanks

pongasoft
RE Developer

08 Nov 2016

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:

Thanks
Unfortunately at this stage I do not have a functioning build. That being said I am hoping to have it released in the shop by next week.

Yan

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

08 Nov 2016

pongasoft wrote:
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:

Thanks
Unfortunately at this stage I do not have a functioning build. That being said I am hoping to have it released in the shop by next week.

Yan

OH NO.......... and yeahhhhhhhhhh.. :)

Can you not renew my current license for the version I have?

pongasoft
RE Developer

08 Nov 2016

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
pongasoft wrote:
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:

Thanks

Yan

I do not know. Which version do you have?

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

08 Nov 2016

pongasoft wrote:
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
pongasoft wrote:
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:

Thanks

Yan

I do not know. Which version do you have?
It's version 1.0.0d13, don't worry if it's not that straight forward.

BTW well done on creating a very useful util... :thumbs_up:

pongasoft
RE Developer

08 Nov 2016

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
It's version 1.0.0d13, don't worry if it's not that straight forward.

BTW well done on creating a very useful util... :thumbs_up:
I think I was able to extend it. Glad it is useful!

WongoTheSane

08 Nov 2016

Er, sorry to chime in a bit late but can you do the same for me? Same version! I use it almost every day. Can't wait for the final version... (also, remember that some of us can beta the manual as well if there's one).

challism

10 Nov 2016

Yes, I would be happy to read over the manual and look for any mistakes, etc.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

olive6741

17 Nov 2016

Sorry to be late on this (it's only recently I REALLY started to travel on Reasontalk:) ) but as I use a lot CVs, I'm also interested in testing your device, if it still does make sense as, as I read, there is already a lot of talk about it.

Would like to test it, with some Chronologists’ devices (Constants, Equation, Truth…)

I would also be happy to read the manual.

my Prop user name is 'olive6741'

Thank you!

pongasoft
RE Developer

20 Nov 2016

The device is in the approval queue so it should be in the shop pretty soon. It seems that it is taking much longer to be approved, my best guess being that they are swamped with Black Friday related work...

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

22 Nov 2016

pongasoft wrote:The device is in the approval queue so it should be in the shop pretty soon. It seems that it is taking much longer to be approved, my best guess being that they are swamped with Black Friday related work...

You are a star, thanks for all your hard work on this very useful util... (come on props) :D

pongasoft
RE Developer

22 Nov 2016

It has now been officially approved... And is currently stuck in the shop publishing flow (seems that there is a bug...).

Here is a tease for the final design (logo)
Icon_180x180.png
Icon_180x180.png (32.59 KiB) Viewed 2315 times

friday

22 Nov 2016

He Ponga,

I have not tested it yet, but would like to thank you for your efforts!
The community lives thanks to people like you.

Peace

• Information