Blamsoft and eXode present: eXpanse - Hyperwave Synthesizer

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Revise

02 Sep 2016

It never fails, a developer releases something amazing and raises the bar, and people complain about cpu. I think this synth has no equal in Reason, the sound is incredible and the capabilities are endless, the gui is very efficient and informative. Considering they had to work with the Re SDK, the fact that they made a synth this good blows me away. Hats off to Blamsoft and Exode!

Majestik Monkey

02 Sep 2016

Revise wrote:It never fails, a developer releases something amazing and raises the bar, and people complain about cpu. I think this synth has no equal in Reason, the sound is incredible and the capabilities are endless, the gui is very efficient and informative. Considering they had to work with the Re SDK, the fact that they made a synth this good blows me away. Hats off to Blamsoft and Exode!

+ 1............. Its so good i bought it :puf_bigsmile:

Revise

02 Sep 2016

I loved z3ta+ for many years and this can do many of the same things, and sounds better IMO :)

Fretless Fingers

02 Sep 2016

Hey folks. Glad to see such a positive response to expanse. I created the advert video (as I did for Zero) and agree with many points of excitement and
understand some concern.

When it comes to the idea that expanse does to much and is unfocused it really sounds like someone struggling with more advanced synthesis and just being unwilling to use more modern tools. While that honestly is all and good for ones personal position, questioning or even wanting to limit innovation within the platform is dangerous and selfish. We live in a time that requires adaptation in order to survive, and to want Reason or it's developers in any way go back to more basic creations is to want reason to eventually fail. The great thing about our platform is it comes with both basic and advanced tools and the pace for learning and taking advantage of more advanced tools are ones own choice. :thumbs_up:

As for CPU usage, it should be expected based on what your actually implementing. The conversation seems to be drifting into how can anyone use it rather than how are you using it. Simple wave table usage and conservative use of filtering and FX allows for many of these devices to be used.If your going all out your going to run out of DSP more quickly of course. This has been true for all high end DAW plugins for some time. What is true about expanse is that it is clearly more efficient than other devices like Zero or even Antidote. While some are saying they can barely us it my MacBook Pro Duo Core 2.4 GHz with 6GB of ram can run more for than a few instances. I'm not going to be able to do a 16 track recording using only this RE as the sound source but I can us it within reasonable expectations to have more diverse and powerful sounding tracks.

8cros wrote:

Where to find the track that sounds at 2:35. :puf_bigsmile:
I just threw that together for the video but I can get you the original file if your interested
:reason: v10 :record: :recycle: :refill: :re: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :ignition:
reason-expert.com Author, video maker, producer

Majestik Monkey

02 Sep 2016

@ Fretless finger's , Good breakdown in the video :thumbs_up:

It's real simple to me .... Save your preset's & Then Bounce in Place / Cpu issues ....... :lol:

Remember Top Studio's Bounce in Place, Probably with every Master piece they create .....

pjeudy

02 Sep 2016

Very Modern synth with Modern features. Sound capability are awesome, eXpanse definitely sets the bar high for any RE instrument dev moving forward. As I mess around with it I'm reminded of SERUM (In a good way) I much rather similarity's with a well respected instrument.

The options for the Mod Env's are awesome ! the Fx section has the necessary devices to get your patch complete, 4 osc :thumbs_up: a good amount of filter types to choose from. eXpanse is fresh, something The Reason community have asking for a while! Bravo to Blamsoft and eXode!

The only thing I would like to see is.... menu drop down instead of Drag/scrolling to find setting and being able to import your own wave forms, which falls squarely on Propellerheads shoulders. And the other which has no effect on the performance of this instrument. is a Duo or Tri tone UI. This device has so much character and modern flare to it, I would have like to see that same flare reflecting on the UI color....! Other then that.... :thumbs_up: Ace !!
Last edited by pjeudy on 03 Sep 2016, edited 2 times in total.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

dvdrtldg

02 Sep 2016

dvdrtldg wrote:Is there any way to modulate or automate the harmonic frequency bars in the Additive Engine? this is something I'd love to be able to do in synths like Zero and Vibro (you can do it with the drawbars in Revival, but it's lacking the full spectrum of frequencies). Anyway, if possible to implement I would be all over it
Just bumping this in case anyone's got any bright ideas - being able to automate the harmonics or not is probably the difference between me buying and not buying

eXode

03 Sep 2016

dvdrtldg wrote:
dvdrtldg wrote:Is there any way to modulate or automate the harmonic frequency bars in the Additive Engine? this is something I'd love to be able to do in synths like Zero and Vibro (you can do it with the drawbars in Revival, but it's lacking the full spectrum of frequencies). Anyway, if possible to implement I would be all over it
Just bumping this in case anyone's got any bright ideas - being able to automate the harmonics or not is probably the difference between me buying and not buying
Such a feature is not planned at the moment.

Arrant
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2016

Congratulations to the devs on a fantastic release! Having lots of joy with this, it raises the quality bar for rack extensions by some distance and the Reason ecosystem will be much the better for it :)

DSP usage is a drag though and it's a legitimate concern. I know that it's the price for this level of sound quality, but creativity suffers real fast when your computer starts choking 5 instances down the road. Thankfully, dealing with 15 instances of eXpanse is probably only needed when you're doing the song challenge ;)

AzureEyes

03 Sep 2016

Playing with the trail, Sounds very good. Can be compared to Serum's sound. Although the SDK won't allow you to create your own Wavetables but instead you can shape them and manipulate them which is pretty unique. I hope Blamsoft updates it with fresh tables every once and a while to keep it fresh. Good work! Defiantly my go to in Reason!

pjeudy

03 Sep 2016

Arrant wrote:DSP usage is a drag though and it's a legitimate concern. I know that it's the price for this level of sound quality, but creativity suffers real fast when your computer starts choking 5 instances down the road.
It will for ever be a concern at this level...part of it might be how the developers optimize there device and part of it is the end user lack of understanding of what the dev is trying to achieve with a more complex and good sounding device with, LOW to no aliasing for eXample .
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST

frog974new

03 Sep 2016

pjeudy wrote:
Arrant wrote:DSP usage is a drag though and it's a legitimate concern. I know that it's the price for this level of sound quality, but creativity suffers real fast when your computer starts choking 5 instances down the road.
It will for ever be a concern at this level...part of it might be how the developers optimize there device and part of it is the end user lack of understanding of what the dev is trying to achieve with a more complex and good sounding device with, LOW to no aliasing for eXample .
i've 2 setup .. one laptop with I5 and one based on a desktop with an I7 .
after several test , what i notice .. no aliasing or not .. what about the internal Reverb that can make crazy our CPU ..Oo , same issue with the inrternal phaser with hard setting .

The main problem with DSP usage here ,is not to know if we can run it with an I3 or I5 , i7 or a futur intel Xeon .. its all about only we can manage this hungry dsp/cpu from the eXpanse today on our personnal or professional project every days and if its a real benefits or not ;) .The fact with reason and on shop there's a lot alternative very less hungry dps/cpu issue , it take just more time ,that's all ^^

the concept with this new Re is really cool but in my mind Blamsoft to attemp to make the best quality tune/sound ,they forget one thing : How user'll use the Re every days and how the DSP/cpu usage'll be a problem or not ..:( ...

WongoTheSane

03 Sep 2016

Andrew Bon Bosher just posted a tutorial on YouTube called "How to make a dirty digital bass with eXpanse in Reason":

XysteR

03 Sep 2016

frog974new wrote:
pjeudy wrote:
after several test , what i notice .. no aliasing or not .. what about the internal Reverb that can make crazy our CPU ..Oo , same issue with the inrternal phaser with hard setting .

The main problem with DSP usage here ,is not to know if we can run it with an I3 or I5 , i7 or a futur intel Xeon .. its all about only we can manage this hungry dsp/cpu from the eXpanse today on our personnal or professional project every days and if its a real benefits or not ;) .The fact with reason and on shop there's a lot alternative very less hungry dps/cpu issue , it take just more time ,that's all ^^

the concept with this new Re is really cool but in my mind Blamsoft to attemp to make the best quality tune/sound ,they forget one thing : How user'll use the Re every days and how the DSP/cpu usage'll be a problem or not ..:( ...
To be brutally honest, I don't think they forgot anything here. They went a long way to help by adding in CPU usage switches on the rear. You also have the option to bounce in place in R9. I'm happy eXpanse hammers my CPU - It's not making it work like this for nothing. It's making it sweat because it's simply an awesome synth! I've noticed that Serum is kind of on par with eXpanse for CPU usage with similar sound and effects.

pjeudy

03 Sep 2016

frog974new wrote:
pjeudy wrote:

hey was sup frog! I'm going to have to agree with you on one hand...because I feel it's OK to ask and wonder about DSP/cpu usage and on the other hand I'll disagree regarding the same issue.

Let me ask you or anyone else for that matter...what is your go to synth for bass? and what is your go to synth for leads for example... Do all synth have to be the go to synth for everything? or do you use a synth sometime specifically because you like what it offers for a particular purpose?

Once you figure out what eXpanse is useful for during your demo time, then you should weigh it's pros and cons. If I feel that eXpanse can get very heavy on the CPU and still want to purchase it...then all I have to do is adjust my mind set and start a track with eXpanse first before creating all the other elements. The Reason for this is, by the time your track gets in full swing then you may no longer need the MIDI version coming from eXpanse.

Heavy on CPU isn't necessarily a sign of a bad synth ...but that's just the nature of that device. My CPU load can get all the way up to 98% with only a kick,snare,clap, a single sign wave for bass (MIDI) and one instance of SERUM (MIDI) DEPENDING ON THE PATCH OF COURSE :shock:
Knowing that, I use it a the appropriate time then bounce the Audio hours or days later as the track is building up with additional Fx and devices.
frog974new wrote: in my mind Blamsoft to attemp to make the best quality tune/sound ,they forget one thing : How user'll use the Re every days and how the DSP/cpu usage'll be a problem or not ..:( ...
Like you said there are other devices out there with a lower CPU footprint that are available to us...so there's no need for Blamsoft not to push the boundary of the CPU if that's what his vision for the synth calls for. People can't stop making luxury cars because most people can't afford them.
I'm able to Run eXpanse so far with no real issues...So I don't want any sound compromise to get 2 bars less on my DSP. So to me Blamsoft didn't forget anything, actually they remembered that not everyone let's a slight DSP Increase stop them from a good purchase.

frog974new

03 Sep 2016

@Pjeudy , indeed the eXpanse is a very versatyl synth but atm i keep going with some of my Re .
i.e. when i make bigroom ,or a spytrance track steel using for bass and leads layers made or based on Predator , Snakebite .. Ivock ,etc, ..and stock synth from Reason .

i like working with midi clip for all automation , specialy for soundscape tune ;) . in last ressort i bounce in place .
i've also Oberon/Persec , Vecto for spécific pourpose . Often on my project i manage DSP with synth versatil like as a Preator and for layers i love use a snakebite or a Redominator . I don't expect a synth can do all sounds .

i don't want to say , Blamsoft don't have to make "Luxury " synth ^^ , i hope Blamsoft consider there's atm a lack of optimization with the eXpanse 1.0 and they get in touche to improve performance . ( and UI fetaures ) .

eXode

03 Sep 2016

frog974new wrote:The concept with this new Re is really cool but in my mind Blamsoft to attemp to make the best quality tune/sound ,they forget one thing : How user'll use the Re every days and how the DSP/cpu usage'll be a problem or not ..:( ...
frog974new wrote:i hope Blamsoft consider there's atm a lack of optimization with the eXpanse 1.0 and they get in touche to improve performance . ( and UI fetaures ) .
Like I have already explained there is no "lack of optimization". Expanse is optimized for what it does. :)

Fretless Fingers

03 Sep 2016

frog974new wrote:
pjeudy wrote:

While I understand your concern it seems you've missed how much time they specifically put into making it as CPU friendly as possible.

Currently all other RE's at best, have 1 CPU use switch, and a few of those have varying levels of upsampling and/or consumption (low,medium,high etc.). eXpanse is the ONLY Rack Extension with 3 levels of control for 3 separate parameters of use.
The idea that getting eXpanse to be more CPU friendly considering it is doing as much, if not more work than there other high end and high consumption RE (Zero Hybrid) and questioning the attempt to make quality and usability in tandem can sound a little insulting.

I also have two setups, One of which is a 2011 Mac Mini server i7 quadcore 2GHz 16GB RAM that was able to screen record (for the advert) and play 5 intensive complicated patches at 44.1KHz at 512 samples. The other is a MacBook Pro Duo Core 2.4 GHz which struggles in comparison but I can still run 4 factory patches and redrum inside my personal template, no problem (when throwing all CPU switches to low). At no point do I expect that a mistake was made to not accommodate to my much lower bench marked Laptop. While it would be lovely to use more instances of eXpanse, it's not really a software problem as much a CPU technology limitation.

I believe if the developers limited the sound and feature quality to allow for a significant amount of devices in parallel this device would not receive the same accolades and praise. It would be seen as a poor attempt of existing technology dumbed down for Reason rather than the quality and comparable sound creation kit it is being currently hailed as.

But this is all my opinion, so take it as you will
:reason: v10 :record: :recycle: :refill: :re: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :ignition:
reason-expert.com Author, video maker, producer

Electric-Metal

03 Sep 2016

Fretless Fingers wrote:I believe if the developers limited the sound and feature quality to allow for a significant amount of devices in parallel this device would not receive the same accolades and praise. It would be seen as a poor attempt of existing technology dumbed down for Reason rather than the quality and comparable sound creation kit it is being currently hailed as.
You nailed it IMO.
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

Emian

03 Sep 2016

following this CPU-usage discussion :

i found Zero had a significant mark on DSP .... i also find eXpanse is better on that mather ....

i made my first entry for the ReasonTalk eXpanse contest; 12 eXpanses used; , Korde; some gq-7's , some FET's & my mastering chain (MP-5; Kratos 2)... i felt satisfied with what i could squeeze out of my i7 4790K (not overclocked) in 1 file; so good job Blamsoft & Exode on DSP usage vs. Performance of the synth; it rocks (well not, it EDM's ;) )!

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

Arrant
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2016

12 instances is decent Emian, enough to be able to write something useful before having to bounce.
I can only get to 6, may have to face up to the fact that my i5 just isn't cutting it anymore.

VHS

03 Sep 2016

I was initially disappointed due to everyone shouting Serum on here, which really gave me the wrong expectations. It is like serum in that it is a wavetable synth and grey, thats about it though. After getting used what it is, Im impressed. Blamsoft is the unofficial king of reason synths imo and one of the few devs I buy from. This synth is awesome to have in reason. Some well thought out features and great sounding osc, great LFO's.

some requests;
-can we get a direct out button on OSC 4 so we can bypass filter and effects?(makeshift sub osc)
-FM FROM the 4 oscillators in the mods.(FM osc 1 with osc 2, u get it)
-bend +/- in the mods would be awesome(though I have a feeling you know that and maybe sdk wont let you)
-50 tables is a lot, but since we cant make our own tables maybe we could get a few weirder ones? I have some suggestions if its possible.
-Crazier filters, akin to serums misc filters (reverb filter etc.)

side note, I wish the additive portion worked like in serum, oh well.

All in all, Ive been shitting out music all day with this synth, It really is great. I do wish it was a little deeper or more similar to serum, but still worth it as is. Thanks for kicking ass!

ps. fuck dsp, I want MOAR

wendylou

03 Sep 2016

Funny! I've been waiting all summer for them to release the Celestron NexStar Evolution 8 HD telescope and just got it. But thanks to the invention of financial buffers a.k.a credit, I grabbed eXpanse anyway. It's the best overall RE synth I've heard so far, and I own almost all of them so far. Previewing the included patches has been a real treat. I particularly like the Blade Runner-like patches "Etheral Lead-EX" and "LA-AZ" which I combined into a Combinator. Nexus 6! Kinda surprised at some of the nitpicking but then again I tend to just roll and see what I can create with anything I can find to make music with :puf_smile: This thing is quite versatile, musically pleasing, and fun. I knew it had to be something special when I heard eXode teamed up with Blamsoft.
XysteR wrote:
wendylou wrote:Love it! I have a ton of RE, but this really has a vast array of pleasing patches, many with a sonic character I've not heard in Reason before.

Q: Is the intro price good through all of September?

I just blew my savings on a telescope and need to recharge my piggy bank :puf_smile:
Haha! I'm in the same boat - I just bought a Celestron C9.25 XLT for planetary astrophotography :D

I'm really liking this synth, even though I own Serum I'm still buying this too. I'm really mildly miffed that the current SDK doesn't allow you to make custom wavetables. But I do like the way Blamsoft have squeezed as much as they can out of the SDK to give us enough room to sculpt the included tables. 2 minutes in on Aiyn Zahevs' demo track had me sold on this!

No demoing for me - Instabuy....
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

Oenkenstein
RE Developer

03 Sep 2016

What an amazing synth. It is Thor on steroids.

I have made a remotemap for a Behringer BCR2000 and added this device.

Noticed two small GUI bugs:
The first one is in the Remote Override Edit Mode, where the position of the mod Envelope 3 units is 'out of line'.

The second bug is on the back of the device, where in the Glob CV Out section, CV2 is mentioned twice. The second CV2 should be CV3.

Loque

04 Sep 2016

:question: I am just playing around with it and tried to automate some things. Looks like, it is not possible to automate envelope amount in all cases and timeing if it is in sync mode. Is this planned to be added in future? Also i cannot programm them through the mod matrix. The OSC mix settings were not available aswell
Reason12, Win10

• Information