End of summer sale?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
kuhliloach

29 Aug 2016

The stuff I want is not on sale -- wish this was a store-wide sale.

joeyluck

29 Aug 2016

K1TTENM1TTEN wrote:
Emian wrote:
K1TTENM1TTEN wrote:If only the Reason 9 upgrade was on sale... :(
& why would they put a discount on a product that's only released for 2 months ???
Because charging owners of Reason 8 "full upgrade price" is dated and lame. ;-)

Native Instruments, as well as about any other major VST company out there, offers a higher upgrade price for those with older legacy (in this case Reason 1-7 users) versions of their software and a lower upgrade price for those who own the last previous version (in this case Reason 8 users). It would be nice to see a special upgrade price be made available to owners of the previous version. Call it a summer sale special, or call it a permanent pricing structure, either way it should happen :-D
So you are in favor of staggered pricing?

I've upgraded every version except for ver 3, but I still like the benefit that is afforded to me to pay the same price coming from any version (as I did from 2.5 to 4).

Those other DAWs that offer staggered pricing; it gets quite expensive to skip a version. I don't think it would work the way you think. Most DAWs upgrade prices from the most previous version are still more expensive than Reason's upgrade price from any version...

The discount for coming from the most recent version wouldn't be great enough in my eyes to justify staggering pricing (making others pay even more) in order to afford to do so. Even if I'm upgrading most every version, I'm more than happy to pay into a system that affords others to stay on board for the same price. That's my opinion of course.

Just some examples:
As you see, all of these are more expensive than Reason even coming from the most recent version...

Cubase from 7.5 to 8.5 = $149
Cubase from 7 to 8.5 = $199
Cubase from 6 or 6.5 to 8.5 = $249
Cubase from 4 or 5 to 8.5 = $299

Studio One 3 from 1 or 2 = $149

Ableton Live 9 Standard from 1-8 = $159

And Pro Tools has just gotten confusing with it's upgrade plans. But of course, they are the even more expensive.

Of course, there are others that offer free updates. And that's a different matter. But when it comes to staggered pricing, I haven't seen much that competes with Reason's set price and it usually just looks a bit scary.

XysteR

29 Aug 2016

kiloHearts Faturator denied.... As soon as I seen the sale I went straight to buy this! Alas, it's not showing in the sale. *cries*

Skullture

29 Aug 2016

XysteR wrote:kiloHearts Faturator denied.... As soon as I seen the sale I went straight to buy this! Alas, it's not showing in the sale. *cries*
I guess Black Friday will be your time to strike. At least, that's when I bought it :puf_bigsmile:

K1TTENM1TTEN

29 Aug 2016

ezelkow1 wrote:NI's pricing isnt tiered like that...

Except for the part where it was/is ;-) Albeit I will admit that they changed their upgrade tier slightly with the release of Komplete 11 Ultimate. Previously they had two pricing structures, one of the most recent version owners, and one for anyone who owned the ones from further back. As of 11 it is open to owners of 8-10 only, but still offer a discount to those who own the most recent Ultimate than to those without.

All that to say, there should be a system in place that allows the owners of the previous version (Reason 8) to upgrade at a discounted rate compared to an owner of an older version (let's say Reason 3). The difference in content upgrade from Reason 3 to 9 is absolutely massive and steal, as where the upgrade from Reason 8 to 9 is noticeable and desirable.

K1TTENM1TTEN

29 Aug 2016

joeyluck wrote:
K1TTENM1TTEN wrote:
Emian wrote:
K1TTENM1TTEN wrote:If only the Reason 9 upgrade was on sale... :(
& why would they put a discount on a product that's only released for 2 months ???
Because charging owners of Reason 8 "full upgrade price" is dated and lame. ;-)

Native Instruments, as well as about any other major VST company out there, offers a higher upgrade price for those with older legacy (in this case Reason 1-7 users) versions of their software and a lower upgrade price for those who own the last previous version (in this case Reason 8 users). It would be nice to see a special upgrade price be made available to owners of the previous version. Call it a summer sale special, or call it a permanent pricing structure, either way it should happen :-D
So you are in favor of staggered pricing?

I've upgraded every version except for ver 3, but I still like the benefit that is afforded to me to pay the same price coming from any version (as I did from 2.5 to 4).

Those other DAWs that offer staggered pricing; it gets quite expensive to skip a version. I don't think it would work the way you think. Most DAWs upgrade prices from the most previous version are still more expensive than Reason's upgrade price from any version...

The discount for coming from the most recent version wouldn't be great enough in my eyes to justify staggering pricing (making others pay even more) in order to afford to do so. Even if I'm upgrading most every version, I'm more than happy to pay into a system that affords others to stay on board for the same price. That's my opinion of course.

Just some examples:
As you see, all of these are more expensive than Reason even coming from the most recent version...

Cubase from 7.5 to 8.5 = $149
Cubase from 7 to 8.5 = $199
Cubase from 6 or 6.5 to 8.5 = $249
Cubase from 4 or 5 to 8.5 = $299

Studio One 3 from 1 or 2 = $149

Ableton Live 9 Standard from 1-8 = $159

And Pro Tools has just gotten confusing with it's upgrade plans. But of course, they are the even more expensive.

Of course, there are others that offer free updates. And that's a different matter. But when it comes to staggered pricing, I haven't seen much that competes with Reason's set price and it usually just looks a bit scary.
Yes, I am definitely in favor of staggered price. For the most recent owners there becomes a built in "value" to staying current, as if you fall behind with your version then you can expect to pay more for your upgrade. It doesn't really make much sense that to upgrade Reason 2 to Reason 9 is the same price as it is to upgrade Reason 8 to 9. The added functionality is night and day different from 2 to 9, and while there are some from 8 to 9, it is not nearly as drastic. I would gladly pay $99 for the upgrade from 8 to 9, but after paying $130 6 months ago to upgrade 7 to 8, and then 9 comes out, it makes the upgrade a bit of a sting (so a total of $260 spent this year upgrading Reason twice). I am not saying Props should make the upgrade $49 (although I would not be sad by that), but instead have it be $99 for those with the previous version. Easy request, and it makes business sense, ultimately giving Props more money in the end as there is also incentive for buyers to stay current for continued savings.

ezelkow1

29 Aug 2016

K1TTENM1TTEN wrote:
ezelkow1 wrote:NI's pricing isnt tiered like that...

Except for the part where it was/is ;-) Albeit I will admit that they changed their upgrade tier slightly with the release of Komplete 11 Ultimate. Previously they had two pricing structures, one of the most recent version owners, and one for anyone who owned the ones from further back. As of 11 it is open to owners of 8-10 only, but still offer a discount to those who own the most recent Ultimate than to those without.

All that to say, there should be a system in place that allows the owners of the previous version (Reason 8) to upgrade at a discounted rate compared to an owner of an older version (let's say Reason 3). The difference in content upgrade from Reason 3 to 9 is absolutely massive and steal, as where the upgrade from Reason 8 to 9 is noticeable and desirable.
Oh, see your talking about Komplete ultimate. The regular komplete still is the same price for k2-k10 owners. You can find it on stores like sweetwater marked as k2-k10 update and all the same price, but yes, ultimate is a different beast
Last edited by ezelkow1 on 29 Aug 2016, edited 1 time in total.

K1TTENM1TTEN

29 Aug 2016

ezelkow1 wrote: Oh, see your talking about Komplete ultimate. The regular komplete still is the same price for k2-k9 owners.
Ah, got it! Yeah, I have only ever been interested in Ultimate so that what I have always gone off of. :-)

joeyluck

29 Aug 2016

K1TTENM1TTEN wrote:Yes, I am definitely in favor of staggered price. For the most recent owners there becomes a built in "value" to staying current, as if you fall behind with your version then you can expect to pay more for your upgrade. It doesn't really make much sense that to upgrade Reason 2 to Reason 9 is the same price as it is to upgrade Reason 8 to 9. The added functionality is night and day different from 2 to 9, and while there are some from 8 to 9, it is not nearly as drastic. I would gladly pay $99 for the upgrade from 8 to 9, but after paying $130 6 months ago to upgrade 7 to 8, and then 9 comes out, it makes the upgrade a bit of a sting (so a total of $260 spent this year upgrading Reason twice). I am not saying Props should make the upgrade $49 (although I would not be sad by that), but instead have it be $99 for those with the previous version. Easy request, and it makes business sense, ultimately giving Props more money in the end as there is also incentive for buyers to stay current for continued savings.
I get that. One of the points I was trying to make is that Reason is already cheaper to upgrade than the others that offer staggered pricing.
Also saying that if they did stagger pricing, I wouldn't assume they would drop the lowest price even more from $129 aside from just raising the others...

I think you also have to factor in the smaller market and the users that still would prefer to not upgrade at times even for $99. And then they might be completely bitter having to upgrade later for say $149 to go from Reason 8 to Reason 10.

There's certainly good points from all sides. But I think Propellerhead just likes to decide on a low, median price that keeps things simple and benefits everybody.

K1TTENM1TTEN

29 Aug 2016

joeyluck wrote:
I get that. One of the points I was trying to make is that Reason is already cheaper to upgrade than the others that offer staggered pricing.
Also saying that if they did stagger pricing, I wouldn't assume they would drop the lowest price even more from $129 aside from just raising the others...

I think you also have to factor in the smaller market and the users that still would prefer to not upgrade at times even for $99. And then they might be completely bitter having to upgrade later for say $149 to go from Reason 8 to Reason 10.

There's certainly good points from all sides. But I think Propellerhead just likes to decide on a low, median price that keeps things simple and benefits everybody.
And I totally get that, but then again most of those other programs are also significantly more expensive than Reason, so it would make sense that their upgrades scale up a bit more as well :-) My only thought is that Props puts their upgrades on sale for $99, so if they are comfortable with that price, I don't see why not allow those with an 8 license that discount, similar to how Props offers a special discount to those who have bought two of the three Rig Bundles on the third Rig Bundle they don't already own - starting a loyalty program if you will. I simply don't feel my wallet should have to suffer a higher price so that those who wish to upgrade their legacy version can do so at a reduced price. :lol:

Skullture

29 Aug 2016

Not sure to pull the trigger on Oberon, but it's very tempting at this price imo

Sprockhead

29 Aug 2016

Does anybody know how Polar holds up against Soundtoys Microshift? Are they on the same level? :)

dvdrtldg

29 Aug 2016

K1TTENM1TTEN wrote:Interesting how Prop's Rack Extension bundles do not go down in price, only the single items (for example Radical Keys and Piano are now only $49 each, or you can buy the bundle for $149). I have always thought that the bundles go down in price too on sales?
The A-List drummer bundle is on sale at $139

There's a pricing glitch in the shop at point of sale, but they're sorting it out
Last edited by dvdrtldg on 29 Aug 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Boyfriend

29 Aug 2016

I'm thinking about picking up the Chenille. For $20 and my recent obsession with meticulously modulated delay lines, I figure why not?

challism

29 Aug 2016

Captain Boyfriend wrote:I'm thinking about picking up the Chenille. For $20 and my recent obsession with meticulously modulated delay lines, I figure why not?
Go for it! Highly recommended!!

I'm looking at Republik, Cerberus and Battle Axe.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

dagwood

29 Aug 2016

Sprockhead wrote:Does anybody know how Polar holds up against Soundtoys Microshift? Are they on the same level? :)
I've got both Soundtoys Microshift as well as Polar. At it's sale price, Polar is an absolute steal - I paid full price for it!!! As far as being compared to Microshift, Sound quality-wise it is no better or worse... but it blows Microshift out of the water as far as features go. Whereas Microshift is good for widening a recording and you get targeting control over the frequency you want to mess with, Polar is a fully featured actual pitch shifter that can widen as well as harmonize, etc.

From a Reason standpoint, Polar is a much more powerful pitch shifter IMHO. I always thought Microshift was laughably overpriced, too. The only reason I have it is because someone gave it to me.

Yonatan

30 Aug 2016

Anyone having experience of Souncells "Nordic Red" refill? Worth €19?
I think the demo songs sound lovely, but as with all refills,
its often a hit and miss of a blind-date.

Sprockhead

30 Aug 2016

I've got both Soundtoys Microshift as well as Polar. At it's sale price, Polar is an absolute steal - I paid full price for it!!! As far as being compared to Microshift, Sound quality-wise it is no better or worse... but it blows Microshift out of the water as far as features go. Whereas Microshift is good for widening a recording and you get targeting control over the frequency you want to mess with, Polar is a fully featured actual pitch shifter that can widen as well as harmonize, etc.

From a Reason standpoint, Polar is a much more powerful pitch shifter IMHO. I always thought Microshift was laughably overpriced, too. The only reason I have it is because someone gave it to me.
Thank you for your input! I'll trial Polar, it seems nice though and I'll most likely buy it after some testing.
It's always funny how most of us (like myself) expect the expensive VSTs to do something magical that the cheaper stuff can't and sometimes they have even less features than the cheaper ones. But even though they usually sound good they're quite, as you said, overpriced :)

Mystile

30 Aug 2016

So i had already planned to drop the $200 for the drum bundle...but now that its on sale...do I save the $70...or spend it on something else, hmmmmm :?:

Aquila

30 Aug 2016

Shame Buffre's not on sale. That's the only RE I could do with.

Abstrax

30 Aug 2016

Mystile wrote:So i had already planned to drop the $200 for the drum bundle...but now that its on sale...do I save the $70...or spend it on something else, hmmmmm :?:
Go with the obvious solution. Buy $70 worth of illicit substances and make some songs with the REs you already have.

Captain Boyfriend

30 Aug 2016

Abstrax wrote:
Mystile wrote:So i had already planned to drop the $200 for the drum bundle...but now that its on sale...do I save the $70...or spend it on something else, hmmmmm :?:
Go with the obvious solution. Buy $70 worth of illicit substances and make some songs with the REs you already have.
:lol:

alex

30 Aug 2016

Fritz? Its price fits nicely ;)
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

Captain Boyfriend

30 Aug 2016

challism wrote:
Captain Boyfriend wrote:I'm thinking about picking up the Chenille. For $20 and my recent obsession with meticulously modulated delay lines, I figure why not?
Go for it! Highly recommended!!

I'm looking at Republik, Cerberus and Battle Axe.
Well, I'm making filthy heavily-aliasing stereo slapbacks within 5 minutes, so I consider this $20 very well spent.

• Information