New EQ - RedRock RE3Q Sixband Equalizer

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
spacefarmer

25 Aug 2016

Have to push the try- button this evening.

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... equalizer/
Last edited by spacefarmer on 26 Aug 2016, edited 1 time in total.

txh003

25 Aug 2016

At least in appearance and functionality, the concept seems to be based on the Maag Audio EQ4M.
:reason: :record: :recycle: :rebirth: :reload: :re: :refill:

QVprod

25 Aug 2016

Seems like they licensed this plugin this time around. https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... g_eq4.html.
maag-eq4-01-893e7227.png
maag-eq4-01-893e7227.png (355.2 KiB) Viewed 3665 times

txh003

25 Aug 2016

QVprod wrote:Seems like they licensed this plugin this time around. https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... g_eq4.html.
maag-eq4-01-893e7227.png
The shown plugin is an official emulated version of the Maag EQ4M hardware EQ. There is no mentioned of the Maag EQ4M on the RE shop page. Therefore, I doubt that the RE, by Redrock, is officially licensed by Maag.

Either way, it would be interesting to determine how both software versions compare to the actual hardware unit, which I have used in a friend's studio.
Last edited by txh003 on 25 Aug 2016, edited 1 time in total.
:reason: :record: :recycle: :rebirth: :reload: :re: :refill:

miscend

25 Aug 2016

QVprod wrote:Seems like they licensed this plugin this time around. https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... g_eq4.html.
maag-eq4-01-893e7227.png
They would have called it Maag EQ if they had spent the money to licence it.
Last edited by miscend on 25 Aug 2016, edited 1 time in total.

pjeudy

25 Aug 2016

Looks really good!!
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

miscend

25 Aug 2016

I hope this isn't based on a freeware VST like their compressor is. I hope it's new code.

QVprod

25 Aug 2016

txh003 wrote:
maag-eq4-01-893e7227.png
The shown plugin is an official emulated version of the Maag EQ4M hardware EQ. There is no mentioned of the Maag EQ4M on the RE shop page. Therefore, I doubt that the RE, by Redrock, is officially licensed by Maag.

Either way, it would be interesting to determine how both software versions compare to the actual hardware unit, which I have used in a friend's studio.
miscend wrote:
maag-eq4-01-893e7227.png
They would have called it Maag EQ if they had spent the money to licence it.
I didn't mean licensed from Maag. Of course that would mean the actual Maag name would be used. I meant licensed in the same fashion that C1L1 was licensed from the developer of the Molot compressor. The name was changed in that case as well. Developer essentially using the code from an existing plugin for a RE. Afaik a developer doesn't need permission to model hardware, but only to use the original name so nothing would stop them from acquiring the code from the Maag EQ plugin developer unless a contract says otherwise. I could be wrong though. Either way it has no determination on the quality of this RE

Dave909

25 Aug 2016

Maag is such a nasty brandname to me. It means stomach in Dutch, lol. Gotta take this one for a testdrive tho :)

ojiisan

25 Aug 2016

Dave909 wrote:Maag is such a nasty brandname to me. It means stomach in Dutch, lol. Gotta take this one for a testdrive tho :)
Belg of Nederlander :puf_bigsmile: ?

sorry for going offtopic, too curious :oops:

Dave909

25 Aug 2016

ojiisan wrote:
Dave909 wrote:Maag is such a nasty brandname to me. It means stomach in Dutch, lol. Gotta take this one for a testdrive tho :)
Belg of Nederlander :puf_bigsmile: ?

sorry for going offtopic, too curious :oops:
Een Nederlander die in België woont hahahah

pjeudy

25 Aug 2016

My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

joeyluck

25 Aug 2016

Is this the official thread for the RE3Q?

If so, can we please update this with a more specific title and the first post with a link to the product page?

dvdrtldg

25 Aug 2016

The RE3Q will reach further into your mix than you've ever heard before
Anybody know what this means exactly? i.e. is it just dev-speak for "This EQ sounds better than the others", or is there some technical thing about an EQ "reaching into the mix" that I'm not aware of

Red Rock

25 Aug 2016

I was a bit surprised by the fact that very few people have encountered with similar EQ.
Pensado often uses Maag EQ in his video:

Our RE3Q based on the later models, named Nti EQ3/ EQ3D
But it does not change its essence, the same principle of operation.

P.S. Oh, yes, we do not have any relation to the company Maag :D You certainly amused me very well, assuming that RE3Q is a licensed version of the Maag Eq :D I think if we have agreed to use the Maag license, so then RE3Q cost $ 229 for you, we would quickly go broke with this price policy :)

WongoTheSane

26 Aug 2016

For those who have come this far, link to the product page in the Shop:

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... equalizer/

QVprod

26 Aug 2016

Red Rock wrote:You certainly amused me very well, assuming that RE3Q is a licensed version of the Maag Eq :D I think if we have agreed to use the Maag license, so then RE3Q cost $ 229 for you, we would quickly go broke with this price policy :)
Haha, it was an understandable thought.... minus the price difference.

Red Rock

26 Aug 2016

We have no overpayment for the brand :puf_smile:

Quality you can appreciate having tried it, I do not think that it is worse on $ 194

Rice

26 Aug 2016

Red Rock, thanks-a-bunch for this effort...going to give this a try.

K1TTENM1TTEN

26 Aug 2016

No audio demos of this RE though? That is a bit of a letdown for those of us who don't want to use a trial yet. Anyone have a solid example of what this RE can add to a mix?

selig
RE Developer

26 Aug 2016

dvdrtldg wrote:
The RE3Q will reach further into your mix than you've ever heard before
Anybody know what this means exactly? i.e. is it just dev-speak for "This EQ sounds better than the others", or is there some technical thing about an EQ "reaching into the mix" that I'm not aware of
EQ is just EQ, but each can have it's own character and application. There is nothing "magical" about the original NTI or the plug in version - I've used both and tested the plugin to see if there was any "magic".

It's not a typical EQ though, that's for sure, and while it can be emulated with other EQs it would probably require too much work to make it worth the effort.

Time will tell if this version is an accurate model of the original or not - but even so, if it's useful to folks it really won't matter if it IS an accurate model or not!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

winkie

26 Aug 2016

Very good EQ. Used it tonight on a mix and just cleared thing up quickly. Thats all I can say!

Stock Music Musician

27 Aug 2016

I did up a quick review and demo of the RE3Q. I'm not one to recommend a lot of EQs (I do 90% of eqing with the mixer or MClass), but I'd definitely recommend the RE3Q. It's eminently usable, and seems to act in some surprising ways. I'm sure you could do many of these things with other EQs, but this one allows you to quickly dial in some interesting manipulations. I'd say it's especially useful on busses. Plus, the "rock band" is basically a much better harmonic exciter than Red Rock's official one.

My only real gripe is the lack (currently) of documentation. I want to know what it happens when the "peak" light comes on, for example. And I'd like to know if the Q for all of the bands is a static 2 octaves or not. But, nonetheless, my ears enjoy it a lot.

Red Rock

29 Aug 2016

Peak indicator lights when the output signal is above -3dBFS, use the INPUT Attenuation knob for the loudness compensation

O1B

29 Aug 2016

Branching out into the World of "analog" EQs, I thought I was done purchasing new Software EQs.
I'm happy with the ones I have, but the Process of EQing 1/3 band, peaking, etc, is very tedious - too early.

Well, Red Rock Sound has done it again. What better way to "reach into the mix that at 10Hz (Glaciers moving) ? 40 (Boom) ? 160 (Bip) ?
Excellent numbers. …..650 (Vocals, Snare or Kick Body check) ? 2500 Hz (all kinds of things)

There are other Frequencies, but these can really move the mix along in achieving a certain Power I demand (and in Reason! … nice).
Thanks, again RRS.
Buying tnite.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/top-ten ... 016-a.html
#10 on Best EQs 2016 on none too shabby a list.

• Information