SELIG!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Last Alternative

24 Aug 2016

Please tell us you have something in the pipeline. You need my money!!!
No disrespect to anyone's hard work and talents but Selig makes the best, most practical, user friendly mixing tools out there. I'd even dare say with the de-esser and leveler alone, those did more for vocal processing in Reason than Propellerhead has ever done, minus the fact they added audio.
I'm not talking about fx. I'm talking about barebones vocal evenness and getting a good balance in general. Anyway, my favorite RE's.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Gulale

25 Aug 2016

Have you tried McDSP Fairchild for vocal? Followed by la2a. It is my go to when I mix with in Reason. Selig leveler has never worked for me on vocal. I have said this before, it is the only tool which gives me similar effect what waves api compressor does. And I only use it for Bass. It is my Reason Api compressor for Bass.
Gulale aka Bereket

selig
RE Developer

25 Aug 2016

Last Alternative wrote:Please tell us you have something in the pipeline. You need my money!!!
No disrespect to anyone's hard work and talents but Selig makes the best, most practical, user friendly mixing tools out there. I'd even dare say with the de-esser and leveler alone, those did more for vocal processing in Reason than Propellerhead has ever done, minus the fact they added audio.
I'm not talking about fx. I'm talking about barebones vocal evenness and getting a good balance in general. Anyway, my favorite RE's.
Yes, I ALWAYS have something in the pipeline… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

25 Aug 2016

Gulale wrote:Have you tried McDSP Fairchild for vocal? Followed by la2a. It is my go to when I mix with in Reason. Selig leveler has never worked for me on vocal. I have said this before, it is the only tool which gives me similar effect what waves api compressor does. And I only use it for Bass. It is my Reason Api compressor for Bass.
Sounds like you prefer a more compressed vocal, using two of the most iconic classic compressors of all time! I LOVE compression on vocals, but that's not what Leveler is for. That why it's such as surprise you compare Leveler to the API compressor (or any compressor for that matter)… FWIW, I often like the same compressors for vocals as for electric and upright bass, exhibit "A" being the LA-2a compressor. I don't see Leveler as much as a compressor - I often use it in conjunction with a compressor. Have you tried a compressor and Leveler on drums - it's about the most aggressive OTT sound I've ever been able to achieve!
Selig Audio, LLC

K1TTENM1TTEN

25 Aug 2016

Gulale wrote:Have you tried McDSP Fairchild for vocal? Followed by la2a.
Which McDSP compressor is a Fairchild? And are you following it with Cakewalk's RE-2A? I am a bit confused :-)

guitfnky

25 Aug 2016

selig wrote:
Gulale wrote:Have you tried McDSP Fairchild for vocal? Followed by la2a. It is my go to when I mix with in Reason. Selig leveler has never worked for me on vocal. I have said this before, it is the only tool which gives me similar effect what waves api compressor does. And I only use it for Bass. It is my Reason Api compressor for Bass.
Sounds like you prefer a more compressed vocal, using two of the most iconic classic compressors of all time! I LOVE compression on vocals, but that's not what Leveler is for. That why it's such as surprise you compare Leveler to the API compressor (or any compressor for that matter)… FWIW, I often like the same compressors for vocals as for electric and upright bass, exhibit "A" being the LA-2a compressor. I don't see Leveler as much as a compressor - I often use it in conjunction with a compressor. Have you tried a compressor and Leveler on drums - it's about the most aggressive OTT sound I've ever been able to achieve!
for vocals, I like using Leveler only after another compressor, generally trying to get as close as I can with the RE-2A or sometimes C1-L1, and only reaching for the Leveler if I find some sections still aren't as out front as I need them. it's great because it's so natural sounding, and doesn't mess with what's already going on in the earlier compressors in the chain.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

selig
RE Developer

25 Aug 2016

guitfnky wrote:
selig wrote:
for vocals, I like using Leveler only after another compressor, generally trying to get as close as I can with the RE-2A or sometimes C1-L1, and only reaching for the Leveler if I find some sections still aren't as out front as I need them. it's great because it's so natural sounding, and doesn't mess with what's already going on in the earlier compressors in the chain.
Have you tried Leveler first?
It can also work extremely well BEFORE compression, for a number of reasons. First of all, since it is transparent and "levels" the sound, when it is first in the chain it can smooth out some extreme dynamics that would otherwise cause a compressor to sound "over-compressed". Since a compressor can color the sound, it will color the louder bits much more than the softer bits, resulting in un-even coloration. Putting the Leveler first can help avoid this, allowing you to precisely control how much color the compressor adds. An extreme example of this is similar to how guitarists put a compressor in front of the amp or distortion pedal so that the distortion effect is more consistent from note to note.

Also, putting Leveler first allows you to set it's Target once and not have to "chase" it every time you change compressor settings. This means you can focus on getting the desired sound from the compressor without having to ALSO check the Leveler each time you make a change (which can be quite often right up to the end of the mix for me).

And even when putting the Leveler after a compressor, it's quite "smart" about not squashing something that's already squashed, and only affecting the parts that are within the target "Curve" of the device.

BTW, especially for drums, putting an aggressive compressor after (or before) the Leveler can give you amazing extreme OTT (over the top) effects that cannot be achieved with downwards compression alone IMO.

NOTE: I almost ALWAYS use only 50% Blend on Leveler, unless going for an extreme OTT effect. That's how powerful it is - a little goes a LONG way!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

K1TTENM1TTEN

25 Aug 2016

My signal chain for vocals is almost always Selig's Gain > Leveler > DeEsser > FET > RE-2A > Effects. I find that the upwards compression that Leveler provides is perfect for pulling out the natural low volume vocal sounds of acoustic artists that helps give the track sound more raw. As Selig noted, having Leveler before the compressor helps keeps things in check if I start messing with my compressors. It is the same reason I run Leveler before my DeEsser, otherwise what I am trying to lose ends up being amplified and awkward. To each their own on what sounds best to them, but to my ears I will always stick Leveler as close to the beginning of a signal chain as possible. I don't dig uber squashed vocals (despite running FET and RE-2A), I merely use my compressors to add warmth and to gently tame the wild notes.

Back to the original poster's topic though, I would agree that I would love to see another Selig product in continuation to the stellar ones he has already made. What I would love to see, but it may not be in Selig's tastes, is a much better sounding Neptune device. Neptune sounds awful. If nothing else, having another solid parametric EQ option would not make me sad with a switch to select the overall output's warmth/cool/neutral sound that the EQ adds. Being able to have a selector switch between how the knobs work would also be pretty sweet to see (if even possible) to have the internal parameters for the knobs change on the fly between a Trident, Pultec, Neve, or whatever. I feel like Selig's tastes and expertise would make for an easy to dial in EQ that could add some very nice polish to a vocal track, but really anything he makes I will likely throw money at and be more than thrilled with the results every time. :-)

Gulale

25 Aug 2016

K1TTENM1TTEN wrote:
Which McDSP compressor is a Fairchild? And are you following it with Cakewalk's RE-2A? I am a bit confused :-)
C670 Compressor then LA-2A
C670 Compressor is fair child for reason. You don't have plenty of control like VST but it is the best smooth sounding compressor in Reason. Anything which has got sustain can shine with that compressor.

I usually shape a track using the SSL and use my Re for beauty.

Back to the topic! I really need a decent transient designer from Selig! With a bunch of control which is not CPU hungry.
Gulale aka Bereket

selig
RE Developer

25 Aug 2016

Gulale wrote:
K1TTENM1TTEN wrote:
C670 Compressor is fair child for reason. You don't have plenty of control like VST but it is the best smooth sounding compressor in Reason. Anything which has got sustain can shine with that compressor.

Back to the topic! I really need a decent transient designer from Selig! With a bunch of control which is not CPU hungry.
That's on my "big" list but currently there are a few devices ahead of it. ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

miscend

25 Aug 2016

We could do with another LA2A in the rack. One that models the tubes and transformers.

I have a LA3A clone. And RE-2A doesn't sound like anything near the ball park. I've compared the Reason SSL buss compressor to an SSL clone and it was close - you can tell it has the SSL sound.

guitfnky

25 Aug 2016

selig wrote:
guitfnky wrote:
selig wrote:
Have you tried Leveler first?
It can also work extremely well BEFORE compression, for a number of reasons. First of all, since it is transparent and "levels" the sound, when it is first in the chain it can smooth out some extreme dynamics that would otherwise cause a compressor to sound "over-compressed". Since a compressor can color the sound, it will color the louder bits much more than the softer bits, resulting in un-even coloration. Putting the Leveler first can help avoid this, allowing you to precisely control how much color the compressor adds. An extreme example of this is similar to how guitarists put a compressor in front of the amp or distortion pedal so that the distortion effect is more consistent from note to note.

Also, putting Leveler first allows you to set it's Target once and not have to "chase" it every time you change compressor settings. This means you can focus on getting the desired sound from the compressor without having to ALSO check the Leveler each time you make a change (which can be quite often right up to the end of the mix for me).

And even when putting the Leveler after a compressor, it's quite "smart" about not squashing something that's already squashed, and only affecting the parts that are within the target "Curve" of the device.

BTW, especially for drums, putting an aggressive compressor after (or before) the Leveler can give you amazing extreme OTT (over the top) effects that cannot be achieved with downwards compression alone IMO.

NOTE: I almost ALWAYS use only 50% Blend on Leveler, unless going for an extreme OTT effect. That's how powerful it is - a little goes a LONG way!
I haven't *yet* tried it before; mostly because I haven't needed to. I get very aggressive with the RE-2A, because it just does such a great job of smoothing things out, even when it's doing a lot of work (10 DB of compression or more). I've not yet needed to adjust my Leveler settings, because it's almost the very last thing I do to a track, so I've already gotten all of my other effects and compression dialed in, although that is an excellent point about 'chasing' the settings that I'll have to keep stored in my back pocket if I need it.

I remember when I first got my hands on the trial of Leveler (then, Curve, I think), I ran it after a reverb and let it do its wacky things with the tail. definitely a cool way to get interesting effects that wouldn't otherwise be possible.

you're right about the Blend knob too (of course you are; you designed the damn thing, haha!). when using it as described for vocals, I typically end up pulling it back to between 20-30%, because that's usually all I need to get any of those last low-volume stragglers sitting right where they need to be. I wouldn't go above 50% unless I was trying to do something extreme, I think. it's a really powerful RE, and I'm glad to have it in my box of tools!
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

ProfessaKaos

26 Aug 2016

A Multi-Band Compressor from Selig is what I really want :)
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

Marc Swing

26 Aug 2016

A good stereo expander from Selig is what i want! :)

8cros

26 Aug 2016

Marc Swing wrote:A good stereo expander from Selig is what i want! :)
Stereo Expander is a dynamic expander, or stereo imager? :puf_bigsmile:
Record For The Real Force
REASON RESONANCES

Abstrax

26 Aug 2016

Gulale wrote:I really need a decent transient designer from Selig! With a bunch of control which is not CPU hungry.
IIRC there's a pretty dope transient design combinator that Selig may have made. I use it on percussion all the time. It uses zero CPU.

Marco Raaphorst

26 Aug 2016

Gulale wrote:
K1TTENM1TTEN wrote:

In what way is the C670 a Fairchild simulation? It doesn't do any tube simulation. Even the Moo Tube doesn't do tube sound btw. The RE-2A does a tiny bit of tube simulation which is nice.

Marc Swing

26 Aug 2016

8cros wrote:

Like this:

8cros

26 Aug 2016

Marc Swing wrote:
8cros wrote:

Like this:

It makes stereo from mono? Or just a stereo expander?
Record For The Real Force
REASON RESONANCES

Marc Swing

27 Aug 2016

8cros wrote:
Marc Swing wrote:
8cros wrote:

Like this:

It makes stereo from mono? Or just a stereo expander?

No haas fx like "making mono to stereo" just a stereo expander that expand the stereo field.

selig
RE Developer

27 Aug 2016

Marc Swing wrote:
8cros wrote:

Like this:

How is that different, or IS it any different from the Stereo Imager? Seems like a very similar effect, but I can't tell from that one example alone.
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

27 Aug 2016

ProfessaKaos wrote:A Multi-Band Compressor from Selig is what I really want :)
I've got some great ideas for multi-band dynamics, and also an idea (which I've been using for years now in prototype form) to turn multi-band on it's side. I'm currently looking into ways to speed up my development process to try to clear my backlog of products!
Selig Audio, LLC

ProfessaKaos

27 Aug 2016

selig wrote:
ProfessaKaos wrote:A Multi-Band Compressor from Selig is what I really want :)
I've got some great ideas for multi-band dynamics, and also an idea (which I've been using for years now in prototype form) to turn multi-band on it's side. I'm currently looking into ways to speed up my development process to try to clear my backlog of products!
This is awesome news :puf_bigsmile:
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

Marc Swing

30 Aug 2016

selig wrote:
Marc Swing wrote:
8cros wrote:

Like this:

How is that different, or IS it any different from the Stereo Imager? Seems like a very similar effect, but I can't tell from that one example alone.
Well i give up!

I can't really explain how it works (im not a plugin coder) :| but all that i know is that it increase the stereo image/field of the mix except the mono in the mix (drums,bass,vocal etc) stays mono.

And i love how it gives the mix a kind of more "space"/"lush" :)

Of course i have tried Reason own "Stereo Imager" but i just hate it! it colors/destroys the sound (everything feels jut so washed out).
I have also tried all the Re kind of stereo splitters/plugin etc and they just don't work for me either. (maybe im just dumb or just don't know how to use them properly).

Similar plugin to the one in the video if you want some more examples are:

And an even better idea would be if one could develop the plugin to be able to control/lock the stereo image so that it should be "within this width" "it shall not be narrower or wider" Kind of like a pan law if you understand how i mean?

That way you could get a better control and more consistent stereo image through out the songs.

For me this is a hard problem given that i produce hiphop and i use a lot of samples.
Which means when i sample a lot of different records, you get a lot of samples that have different stereo images and it becomes quite difficult when you try to make an album and want to get a fairly even mix and stereo image of the entire album.
Last edited by Marc Swing on 30 Aug 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Marco Raaphorst

30 Aug 2016

isn't this all based on mid/side techniques?

• Information