SELIG!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.

8cros

30 Aug 2016

Marc Swing wrote:https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... 845AAtc6sS

http://forum.renoise.com/index.php/topi ... der-works/

Maybe this picture explane something? (im lost hahah) :roll:
Have you tried the stereo imager?
You do not like his stereo? :?
Record For The Real Force
REASON RESONANCES

berndhoen

30 Aug 2016

-LOUT = LInput + scale * RInput
-ROUT = RInput + scale * LInput

scale = -1.0 ... +1.0

Marc Swing

30 Aug 2016

8cros wrote:

Read my text again....

8cros

30 Aug 2016

Marc Swing wrote:
8cros wrote:

Read my text again....
Oh thank you. I did not see your text. :oops:
Stereo Imager is only a mid / side and nothing more.
It does not color a sound, really. I hope.
Record For The Real Force
REASON RESONANCES

Theo.M

05 Dec 2017

Necro bump!

Been on Pro tools 2 years now and couldn't be happier, but I miss leveler. I can't find any other tool whether aax or even vst i can wrap in patchworx, that has a user defined range for the upwards compression.

Yes, plenty of upwards compressors, but they all also increase noise as they simply increase the value of *everything* below the threshold.

This is where leveler is so unique and I can't believe no one else has thought of it.. Please dear Selig consider porting it..!

Elemental audio had a very cool plugin called neodynium, which allowed one to specify, not multiple bands, but multiple LOUDNESS ranges of the audio to apply various levels of compression. I can't remember though whether it was only for downwards compression.. yet, still another tool that has never been emulated.

The main thing I miss about reason is leveler, truly. There's nothing like it.

Thought I'd ask, just once more, as you never know.! oh, and hiya to you all.. hope you're well, making wonderful music and enjoying life:)

selig
RE Developer

05 Dec 2017

Theo.M wrote:Necro bump!

Been on Pro tools 2 years now and couldn't be happier, but I miss leveler. I can't find any other tool whether aax or even vst i can wrap in patchworx, that has a user defined range for the upwards compression.

Yes, plenty of upwards compressors, but they all also increase noise as they simply increase the value of *everything* below the threshold.

This is where leveler is so unique and I can't believe no one else has thought of it.. Please dear Selig consider porting it..!

Elemental audio had a very cool plugin called neodynium, which allowed one to specify, not multiple bands, but multiple LOUDNESS ranges of the audio to apply various levels of compression. I can't remember though whether it was only for downwards compression.. yet, still another tool that has never been emulated.

The main thing I miss about reason is leveler, truly. There's nothing like it.

Thought I'd ask, just once more, as you never know.! oh, and hiya to you all.. hope you're well, making wonderful music and enjoying life:)
I’d love to port Leveler, and make a hardware version (imagine an API 500 series Leveler). If you know anyone who can help, I’m all ears!

For now I’m trying to get my next RE out the door by the end of this year, which is quickly approaching!

I also see I’ve hinted (earlier in this thread) about the product that’s coming after the current product, so stay tuned!

Glad to see you stopping by to say hi - hope you’re doing well, and enjoying the Pro Tools experience (I know it well). ;)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

jayhosking

05 Dec 2017

Well, now that it's dragged up...

Your "hint" made me read back through the thread. I'm pretty interested in picking up Leveler, but in the thread you had said not to consider it as a replacement (or in competition) for using a compressor. I guess I'm wondering, Selig, what do you think the most valuable use case is? When should I reach for Leveler, if not compression? Until now, my interest in it had been for finding a compressor-adjacent that didn't pump/suck the sound so much.

Wow, that reads worse than I meant. Hopefully you get the picture.

Thanks for any help in advance!

selig
RE Developer

05 Dec 2017

jayhosking wrote:
05 Dec 2017
Well, now that it's dragged up...

Your "hint" made me read back through the thread. I'm pretty interested in picking up Leveler, but in the thread you had said not to consider it as a replacement (or in competition) for using a compressor. I guess I'm wondering, Selig, what do you think the most valuable use case is? When should I reach for Leveler, if not compression? Until now, my interest in it had been for finding a compressor-adjacent that didn't pump/suck the sound so much.

Wow, that reads worse than I meant. Hopefully you get the picture.

Thanks for any help in advance!
Leveler IS a compressor, and one area I feel it shines is in not pumping/breathing like downward compressors can. It responds very differently to transients too, partly due to it being a "zero attack" design plus it's upwards approach. The upwards approach means it's doing the LEAST amount of gain change to the highest peaks/transients, whereas downwards compressors are doing the MOST work on the highest peaks/transients.

Additionally, it can ignore (meaning, not increase) the noise floor as well, being one of the only compressors I'm aware of that can do so. It also has the unique 'negative curve' mode where it acts more like a downwards expander, but not exactly because it only "ducks" a limited range of the dynamic spectrum.

It was designed to be a unique tool in the dynamics category, able to do things no other dynamics device can do.

I can only suggest giving it a try - you have 30 days to decide for yourself. And definitely feel free to ask further questions while you're exploring it if something doesn't make sense, or you want further clarification on anything!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

jayhosking

05 Dec 2017

Thanks kindly for this. Sounds I was on the right track with what Leveler does, and it jives really well with what I'm looking for. I will certainly be trying it soon; I had waited in case it was on sale with Black Friday, and now I need to get through the end of my semester's workload before I can tinker around in Reason. But I will be trying it soon!

selig
RE Developer

05 Dec 2017

jayhosking wrote:
05 Dec 2017
Thanks kindly for this. Sounds I was on the right track with what Leveler does, and it jives really well with what I'm looking for. I will certainly be trying it soon; I had waited in case it was on sale with Black Friday, and now I need to get through the end of my semester's workload before I can tinker around in Reason. But I will be trying it soon!
Well, you never know when it might go on sale again. ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

jayhosking

05 Dec 2017

Oh man, c'mon!

I can afford it at full price, but it only caught my attention close to BF. If it's the right RE for me, I won't be waiting for a sale (even though your message totally makes me want to hold out!).

Theo.M

05 Dec 2017

glad to see my necro give this awesome product more deserved attention.

I'll speak to some aax gurus and AU gurus for you Giles and see if anyone wants to do this.

I'll be watching what the next RE is with real curiosity! I never expected Reason to run VST in my lifetime. in fact i even made bets with people i was THAT sure lol! Coming here and seeing all this VST talk has been quite a shock!

Pro tools is wonderful Giles, it never, ever crashes (like Reason). But most of all, dsp performance is amazing with the hybrid engine, and y'all know how much i love my efficiency LOL!

The way it does gain handle curves was worth it just for that! The least forum activity i have had in 2 years overall, i all but disappeared.. cause i was actually making music! Peace all X

Giles, you say it's one of the only compressors to ignore noise floor, if you know of ANY other, please send us a PM!

PS i've seen public posts of pro tools users saying they'd pay 149 for leveler no questions asked if they could get it. People know how unique it is.

I'm going to start a poll on gearslutz to gauge interest for a non reason version and i'll post a link when i've done it

EnochLight

07 Dec 2017

I always thought it would be only a matter of time before a savvy VST dev steals Leveler's unique function before Selig can port it. I'm surprised it hasn't happened already! Leveler is near perfect in my arsenal. The only thing I'd want to see from it at this point is a modern GUI/UX with waveform display that actually shows me the effect it has on compressing downward.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Marc Swing

07 Dec 2017

EnochLight wrote:
07 Dec 2017
The only thing I'd want to see from it at this point is a modern GUI/UX with waveform display that actually shows me the effect it has on compressing downward.
That would make me buy it!

selig
RE Developer

07 Dec 2017

EnochLight wrote:I always thought it would be only a matter of time before a savvy VST dev steals Leveler's unique function before Selig can port it. I'm surprised it hasn't happened already! Leveler is near perfect in my arsenal. The only thing I'd want to see from it at this point is a modern GUI/UX with waveform display that actually shows me the effect it has on compressing downward.
I can’t promise when, but that IS on my list of updates for the Leveler. One day…

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

EdGrip

07 Dec 2017

I think it'd be well worth you doing a nice-looking VST port. I get the impression Cytomic do pretty well out of basically a couple of well-regarded devices.

seqoi

12 Dec 2017

IMO all selig tools are no brainer purchase. Good and fast workflow, speedy results and good sound.

ltbrunt00

13 Dec 2017

Is there any chance that you might release Gain and leveler as VST instruments?
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

mbfrancis

13 Dec 2017

I wish de-esser had a stereo switch...I use it a lot on stereo BGV busses and combinators are a pain. My only request. :)
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

selig
RE Developer

13 Dec 2017

mbfrancis wrote:I wish de-esser had a stereo switch...I use it a lot on stereo BGV busses and combinators are a pain. My only request. :)
I will look into adding that but it is still a mono device and as such won’t ever work as well as a “ dual mono” device. Hence the combinator approach instead a fake stereo switch and getting negative feedback of it not working as well in “stereo”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

mbfrancis

13 Dec 2017

selig wrote:
13 Dec 2017
mbfrancis wrote:I wish de-esser had a stereo switch...I use it a lot on stereo BGV busses and combinators are a pain. My only request. :)
I will look into adding that but it is still a mono device and as such won’t ever work as well as a “ dual mono” device. Hence the combinator approach instead a fake stereo switch and getting negative feedback of it not working as well in “stereo”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I get it, maybe if it was called "dual mono" instead? The problem now is that it accepts stereo ins and collapses to mono, which is non-standard device behavior. But I get there's no perfect solve. A small issue...can't wait for your next device!
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

• Information