PMS-20 Glitch

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Rook

21 Aug 2016

Got this filter a little while back and I absolutely love it--it sounds incredible. However, I've recently noticed a glitch. When you create automation for the filter frequency, like on a kick drum for example...it won't register for the first hit. Even when I make the automation clip start earlier than the kick trigger, it still misses the first hit. In particular I've noticed it for the LP filter section. Not sure if it's also occurring on the HP filter.

Anyone else noticed this?

Electric-Metal

21 Aug 2016

Oh thank you so much m8. About a week ago, I´ve figured an issue like this (which did not appear always, but 8 out of 10 times) on my recent project, and I just couldn´t get my head around, where the heck this was comin´ from.
But right after reading your post, I´ve made a test by using another filter on that specific track and guess what...it´s gone!!!.
So thanks alot once again for pointing this out to me. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :puf_bigsmile: :puf_bigsmile:
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

challism

22 Aug 2016

I just notified Primal Audio of the glitch. Nice find.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Exowildebeest

22 Aug 2016

I've known this for a long time and just compensated for it.

Rook

22 Aug 2016

Exowildebeest wrote:I've known this for a long time and just compensated for it.
Just curious, how did you compensated for it?

Rook

22 Aug 2016

challism wrote:I just notified Primal Audio of the glitch. Nice find.
:thumbs_up: I sent them a message too. Hopefully this is something they can fix.

kuhliloach

22 Aug 2016

If this gets fixed I hope the old way is preserved via a Sloppy / Fast switch on the back of the unit.

snapperdub
Competition Winner

22 Aug 2016

Just curious, how did you compensated for it?[/quote]

I program an extra kik just before my main kik comes in and automate a mute on the mixer channel. So the filter is on the extra kik but you can't hear it not triggering if you see what I mean.
The first hit is missed by the faulty filter but it doesn't matter because it's muted anyway.
Does that make sense?

Rook

23 Aug 2016

snapperdub wrote: I program an extra kik just before my main kik comes in and automate a mute on the mixer channel. So the filter is on the extra kik but you can't hear it not triggering if you see what I mean.
The first hit is missed by the faulty filter but it doesn't matter because it's muted anyway.
Does that make sense?
Ah, smart! I'll have to try that. Thanks :puf_smile:

eusti

23 Aug 2016

Good thinking. Snapperdub! :)

Exowildebeest

23 Aug 2016

Rook wrote:
Exowildebeest wrote:I've known this for a long time and just compensated for it.
Just curious, how did you compensated for it?
I always just shift the automation to the left a bit, but apparently, you're saying that doesn't work - and I think you're right, shifting just compensates for the latency, but only if the filter hasn't been "triggered" before, hence the solution suggested above. It explains why I have run into this issue without being able to explain it only in the intro part of my songs. Although I seem to remember fixing it once by just adding a different filter on top of the PMS to filter out that initial click. Or by extending the automation clip beyond the beginning of the loop (not possible if you start sequencing your track at bar 1, which I don't recommend - leave some arrangement headroom there!).

Rook

24 Aug 2016

Yes, I almost always set any automation to start early. There are a number of devices that 'catch' in a funny way if you set them to start at the first beat. The PMS misses that first hit completely and doesn't even register the automation until the second hit.

I really hope they fix this. Until then, I'll try using snapperdub's trick.

Btw, I wonder do the other filters in this range of devices do the same thing? I only have the PMS. Maybe someone can test the others.

• Information