Any RE with unfolding panel?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
orthodox
RE Developer

19 Jun 2016

I've seen not many REs so far and never met one with unfolding panel like Thor Programmer or NN-XT Remote Editor. Are there any and is it even possible to implement a thing like that in a RE?

tibah

19 Jun 2016

Not supported in the current SDK, as far as I know.

Juan Rosa

19 Jun 2016

I asked for this since the first RE!! the lack of this SDK support makes really ugly big flat RE's

orthodox
RE Developer

20 Jun 2016

Okay, thank you. This is sad, I mean.

Then how about multipage slots with controls like Osc and Filter sections in Thor? Are those possible?
I have only seen sort of multi function displays with outer soft knobs in Parsec.

jam-s

20 Jun 2016

No, not right now. But perhaps after the Props update the SDK. But keep in mind that these featuees have been asked for right after the introduction of REs. So it might take a few more years.

Juan Rosa

20 Jun 2016

jam-s wrote:No, not right now. But perhaps after the Props update the SDK. But keep in mind that these featuees have been asked for right after the introduction of REs. So it might take a few more years.
Like MIDI out

tibah

20 Jun 2016

There a times when I wished for the SDK to support features it doesn't yet and then there a times where I'm simply amazed how some developers get around these limitations. I think Bitspeek, for its time, for literally "hacking" the SDK. Antidote's effect panel, including corresponding parameters for each effect, must have take some work.

There is always fear of missing out on something or things you see somewhere else that you really wished Reason or RE could do, but for now, I'm pretty happy with what's available. I also kinda like that the RE market isn't as crowded as the VST market. YMMV.

WongoTheSane

20 Jun 2016

tibah wrote:There a times when I wished for the SDK to support features it doesn't yet and then there a times where I'm simply amazed how some developers get around these limitations. I think Bitspeek, for its time, for literally "hacking" the SDK. Antidote's effect panel, including corresponding parameters for each effect, must have take some work.

There is always fear of missing out on something or things you see somewhere else that you really wished Reason or RE could do, but for now, I'm pretty happy with what's available. I also kinda like that the RE market isn't as crowded as the VST market. YMMV.
I was about to quote Antidote too. There's another trick which I find brillant: the JPS's effects section is visually represented like it was another RE underneath, or another piece of equipment:
jps.PNG
jps.PNG (883.25 KiB) Viewed 853 times
...so that when you work on the body of the sound, your brain simply doesn't register the effects section as being "the same RE" and it doesn't feel like a 9U unit. Even the screws are different. It looks like two devices from the same manufacturer but created a few years apart. It doesn't save screen space, but it helps get around that limitation and mentally separate the two sections, at least.

selig
RE Developer

20 Jun 2016

tibah wrote:There a times when I wished for the SDK to support features it doesn't yet and then there a times where I'm simply amazed how some developers get around these limitations. I think Bitspeek, for its time, for literally "hacking" the SDK. Antidote's effect panel, including corresponding parameters for each effect, must have take some work.

How did Bitspeek "hack" the SDK?
Antidote's effect panel uses a common SDK widget which others use too (myself included) - takes no more work than any other aspect. The limitation there is that buttons cannot be included with this approach. Notice that the "Active" buttons must be replicated for each effect rather than being a single button switched as the knobs are switched.

BTW…It's exactly the same widget used to switch an LFO Rate knob from Synced to Free mode, it's just that Antidote switches more than one knob, and uses Radio Buttons to do the switching.

The main missing UI features for most are tabbed UIs (switchable panels like Thor), and fold-out sections. Also mentioned are latency compensation, better value switching (to include buttons), half-rack or lunch box (API 500) type devices, and of course sample loading (as well as a few other minor items).
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

20 Jun 2016

WongoTheSane wrote:

I was about to quote Antidote too. There's another trick which I find brillant: the JPS's effects section is visually represented like it was another RE underneath, or another piece of equipment:
jps.PNG
...so that when you work on the body of the sound, your brain simply doesn't register the effects section as being "the same RE" and it doesn't feel like a 9U unit. Even the screws are different. It looks like two devices from the same manufacturer but created a few years apart. It doesn't save screen space, but it helps get around that limitation and mentally separate the two sections, at least.
And the cool thing about JPs device is that IF folding panels are ever added (hoping!), he can add it to the UI without hardly changing a thing! I've got devices planned where I'll probably take a similar approach for that very reason.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

WongoTheSane

20 Jun 2016

selig wrote:I've got devices planned
Er, hello, my name is WongoTheSane and I'm a betaholic...

tibah

20 Jun 2016

selig wrote: How did Bitspeek "hack" the SDK?
The part that does like a custom display, when it surely isn't one, probably. It's one of these things I picked up from reading the forums, admiring the work that went into Bitspeek, UI wise, for the first SDK incarnation. I have no real insides on this. ;) I still think it's a great example of what's possible if you know your way around limitations, if you are willing to do that.

selig
RE Developer

20 Jun 2016

tibah wrote:
selig wrote: How did Bitspeek "hack" the SDK?
The part that does like a custom display, when it surely isn't one, probably. It's one of these things I picked up from reading the forums, admiring the work that went into Bitspeek, UI wise, for the first SDK incarnation. I have no real insides on this. ;) I still think it's a great example of what's possible if you know your way around limitations, if you are willing to do that.
Oh yea (forgot about that one), it's built with a bunch of vertical faders side by side, but instead of a fader graphic they just made their own "slice" graphics of a larger display. Definitely more creative than Antidote, since Antidote used widgets totally the way they were intended (IMO).
Selig Audio, LLC

joeyluck

20 Jun 2016

selig wrote:
WongoTheSane wrote:

jps.PNG
And the cool thing about JPs device is that IF folding panels are ever added (hoping!), he can add it to the UI without hardly changing a thing! I've got devices planned where I'll probably take a similar approach for that very reason.
:)
Others that come to mind are ones like Predator and PX7. They would fold nicely.

• Information