StringWERK new RE

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
PGR

26 May 2016

Last edited by PGR on 26 May 2016, edited 1 time in total.

PGR

26 May 2016

And it sounds good!

boobytrap

26 May 2016

change the title man, give it's some punch for it. this looks like awesome
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

boobytrap

26 May 2016

2.2 GB. but this time i'll download this no matter what happen,
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

26 May 2016

That looks very, very tasty.

mayzon

26 May 2016

Wow thing sounds brilliant! I'm all over it. Great RE congrats :)

T.G.

26 May 2016

Awesome!
e-instuments are behind some of the kontakt instruments like session strings and session horns...
this is great news!

eXode

26 May 2016

Looks great. I'd love to see more libraries like this in the future, for instance East/West Quantum Leap RA and SILK.

PGR

26 May 2016

T.G. wrote:Awesome!
e-instuments are behind some of the kontakt instruments like session strings and session horns...
this is great news!
Can we all agree that even if you are not interested in authentic string sections for Reason , support buy it so we can see more products from the developer :puf_smile:

Benedict
Competition Winner

26 May 2016

At last we see a Dev really start to dig into the IDT scripting thing. Not cheap but seems very usable.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Yonatan

26 May 2016

Wow! That came as a glad surprise. This summer, rainy days will be easy to know what to do...
Love the nice ´n tidy GUI. And a big up for the tutorial/demo video included. Amazing sound!

This would be lovely if they port also, Session Horns:
http://www.e-instruments.com/instrument ... ion-horns/

I think this is exactly what works best with IDT RE; a certain instrument group for each RE: Strings, Horns, Bass, Drums, Piano etc...
Just drag and drop and make music, along with the new Players and Pitchshifter.
Last edited by Yonatan on 26 May 2016, edited 6 times in total.

eusti

26 May 2016

NICE!!! :)

avasopht
Competition Winner

26 May 2016

That's an absolute BARGAIN considering the tremendous value it offers.

This is exactly what the IDT was created for.

craven

26 May 2016

looks and sounds very good! Happy to see e-instruments on board!
:ugeek:

joeyluck

26 May 2016

I like it! :) Hopefully it is well received. Which maybe it will be given that it is strings and is a bit more universal.

It does have some of the same quirks as the Heavocity REs... where samples are only loaded with patches and resetting the device might not do what you come to expect in Reason; essentially takes you back to the sustain patch (giving you only the selection of 'sustain' and 'accent'). It might be seen as more acceptable because it doesn't serve to combine samples within the device; only select from a category. Not to get off topic, but I had mentioned to Heavocity that if they at least included presets that solo'd each sample set, that would probably help some users who had some issues with the way it behaved.

Back to StringWERK... The arpeggio only exists under the 'Animator' patch. It's understood that samples with faster attacks would be best used with the arpeggio (as are loaded; staccato, spiccato, and pizzicato). But sometimes something with a slower attack can be nice. So if you want something arpeggiated using this, it will have to be one of those three sample sets and you can't adjust attack/release on the Animator patch because the arpeggiator is loaded instead of the envelope (so nothing with a slower attack).

Overall, the sound of this is fantastic! And I'm very thankful for the Players in R9 so that I can get a really good trial in just using the on-screen keys! :) (which is what I have access to at the moment). The quirks of resetting the device and the way samples are loaded might seem awkward to many Reason folks, but I hope that the quality and approach help it to be well-received. Again, these things may be less important to many as this is less of a creative instrument and more straight forward in it's applications; they're strings. And they sound delightful. The included arpeggios are also inspiring. :thumbs_up:

Just wish there was control of pitch and mod wheels from the interface. I've tried a couple times to click and drag the little arrow for dynamics...but it's can't done. Guess I'll have to wait until I'm at a real keyboard to play with this some more.

Nirude

26 May 2016

Blackfridaysales! :D
3d man.

Yonatan

26 May 2016

Dont know if I will be able to wait until Black friday...
These strings are so sweet...
And bring on the Studio Horns too...

craven

26 May 2016

joeyluck wrote:Just wish there was control of pitch and mod wheels from the interface. I've tried a couple times to click and drag the little arrow for dynamics...but it's can't done. Guess I'll have to wait until I'm at a real keyboard to play with this some more.
for immediate testing you can just put it in a combinator and use its pitch and mod wheel, I guess
:ugeek:

Karim
Competition Winner

26 May 2016

expensive. but after hearing how it sounds ... it is a must for the soundtrack compositions. and not only
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

joeyluck

26 May 2016

The articulation switching from a keyboard is a bit awkward on my end because it is playing really low notes. Not sure if this is intended?

guitfnky

26 May 2016

Wow. This might set the bar for Rack Extension releases. Can't wait to pick this one up...
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

26 May 2016

joeyluck wrote: samples are only loaded with patches.
Yeah, that behaviour is a tad odd and I don't get why some IDT devs are doing this, as IDT can handle this natively with a built-in property specifically for it. We didn't, for example, use patch-preset sample loading with Republik or Hydronexius because... well, because there's no obvious need.

OK, it's true that can't be automated, or Remote'd either, so it's no loss or a deal-breaker in terms of user-performance, but personally I think it's still preferable just having a property in the GUI to having to use the browser to allow all the properties that are consistent across the BLOBs to be maintained. On the other hand, it might be a deliberate design choice, as the device is so clean, modern and well-laid out - perhaps even one extra control might have unbalanced it! ;)

Yes, it's a lovely looking thing and sounds damn good, with a really fine selection of articulations.

Alkua

26 May 2016

Another Kontakt Dev on board. Base on the video, this RE is excellent. I won't try now because I can't buy it this month because R9.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

26 May 2016

joeyluck wrote:The articulation switching from a keyboard is a bit awkward on my end because it is playing really low notes. Not sure if this is intended?
That always tends to be the problem with keyswitches - they have to be lower than the lowest note of the instrument!*

Of course, if the instruments were separate, bass, cello, viola, violin, one could adjust the keyswitch as convenient. But if, as it seems from the video, they're all effectively one map, from, say, C0 to C6, (does that mean there's no overlap in instrument ranges?) then yes the keyswitch need to be B-1 and lower and in the words of Roy Scheider, you're gonna need a bigger keyboard.

edit: *yes, or higher than the highest note :p

• Information