StringWERK new RE

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

28 Jun 2016

chimp_spanner wrote:Anyone else having trouble trialling this? Don't know if it's because I'm running a bit low on disk space but it gets to 2.1GB and then fails. I'd like to be able to relocate my RE's. I should look into that tbh. C: is so crammed!
Just create a junction for it.

Copy RE's to new directory

mklink /J old_Director New_Directory

i.e.

mklink /J "%appdata%\Propellerhead Software\RackExtensions" "d:\data\RackExtensions"

michal22

29 Jun 2016

Great sound, great work. I look forward to similar things in the future.
Ableton Live Suite 10 / Reason 10 / Windows 10 / Fingers - also 10 ;)

Staarchylld

02 Jul 2016

chimp_spanner wrote:Anyone else having trouble trialling this? Don't know if it's because I'm running a bit low on disk space but it gets to 2.1GB and then fails. I'd like to be able to relocate my RE's. I should look into that tbh. C: is so crammed!

Yeah Im having the same problem except mine stops at 2.0 GB.

*edit. Actually I bought it and I am having that problem.

Faastwalker

06 Jul 2016

This RE sounds fantastic. But I might try this instead for $2.99 is the App store!

Faxxer

12 Jul 2016

Definitely on my buy list!!! I had JUST bought both Heavyocity synths, then reason 9 came out and bought that....Wife said I have to cool it a few months...lol.
:essentials: :adapted: :re: :PUF_take: :refillpacker: :recycle: :rebirth: :reason: :record: :refill: :ignition: :o

Aardwolf

06 Aug 2016

Hi

I'm thinking about buying this Re, but as I only use a Korg Microkey 37 which has just three octaves, I was wondering if I could activate the articulations by having the F4 onscreen keyboard active at the same time as playing the actual strings from the Korg? Failing this I was trying to find where the Panorama controller map is that Lizard produced which should allow us to get at the articulations from the controller, but cannot find it? BTW, I'm new to this forum, any advice would be gratefully received.

mooseharris

25 Aug 2016

I came to this thread to see if StringWERK was worth buying, but it seems to descend into a batch quite quickly.

I've no idea what point scoring has been going on here, why some users seem to dismiss this RE out of hand from the get go, and want to slag off the Reason sample engine in general.

Reason is what it is, if you don't like it, use something else.

I'm none the wiser on StringWERK, so I'll just do a try before you buy option. I'd hoped this forum was going to be something informative, seems I was mistaken. Whilst there are some serious posters here with information to share, the rest treat it like a kids' playground.

I've been using Reason since V1.0. I may be new here, but I have an opinion, and currently it's to avoid this place.

tiker01

25 Aug 2016

It is quite good in my opinion but as it is an IDT device it might seem not so flexible at first sight. I think people wanted Kontakt type instruments then they not like them as they are too much Kontakt like instead of Reason like. It will take a bit of time to get used to these type of devices.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

bxbrkrz

25 Aug 2016

mooseharris wrote:I came to this thread to see if StringWERK was worth buying, but it seems to descend into a batch quite quickly.

I've no idea what point scoring has been going on here, why some users seem to dismiss this RE out of hand from the get go, and want to slag off the Reason sample engine in general.

I'm none the wiser on StringWERK, so I'll just do a try before you buy option. I'd hoped this forum was going to be something informative, seems I was mistaken. Whilst there are some serious posters here with information to share, the rest treat it like a kids' playground.

I've been using Reason since V1.0. I may be new here, but I have an opinion, and currently it's to avoid this place.
This place is cool with lots of people with a positive vibration, once you know who you should always skip reading. Give it a chance.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

Yonatan

26 Aug 2016

StringWERK seems lovely. But for now I am holding up on the trial until got some dedicated composing time.
I would guess though, that this is one of or if not the very most sophisticated virtual instrument we have in the shop.
Hoping to see more from that company. Want to see a bundle.

JCBendock

26 Aug 2016

mooseharris wrote:I came to this thread to see if StringWERK was worth buying, but it seems to descend into a batch quite quickly.

I'm pretty new here myself, I've found this community to be totally the opposite of what your claiming. If I had any complaints it's that I can read through all the new content way to quickly. I've been using reason since v2 and this forum is hands down the greatest resource available concerning the subject. I suggest you give it a bit more time.

mooseharris

20 Sep 2016

bxbrkrz wrote:This place is cool with lots of people with a positive vibration, once you know who you should always skip reading. Give it a chance.
You're probably right. I used to admin a board a few years back that got very 'playground' from time to time, and thought this could be more of the same. Having looked at some other topics they're not all like this one. I shall persevere.

Just finishing a month of Stringwerk trial. Great for composing and arranging, and some nice ensemble sounds, but as stated, not the device for solo strings. Higher instrument registers are more noise and sample latching than genuine string sound, which is poor. It could do with work, but as part of a tool kit is quite useful. I'll probably go the €99 when my month is done. I have the Miroslav and Euphonic refills, so getting some realistic combinators together should be achievable.

mooseharris

20 Sep 2016

On the other side of the coin, I've just read the 'Reason 9 is ridicubad...' thread. Oh dear...

jonheal

20 Sep 2016

mooseharris wrote:On the other side of the coin, I've just read the 'Reason 9 is ridicubad...' thread. Oh dear...
Yes, some folks need to get a life.

But we're not all pathological, here! Well, I am ... but I'm sure some aren't!
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

mooseharris

20 Sep 2016

Like most communities, it takes all sorts. I've read some great stuff on impulse responses and convolution that was really useful, found a lot of good resources and links, and seen some highly questionable jokes.

Are you picking your nose in that picture?

jonheal

20 Sep 2016

It looks that way, doesn't it.

jonheal

20 Sep 2016

Anyway, you complain about nasty people on this forum and then you turn around and accuse me of picking my nose!

I WASN'T picking. It was an ITCH! :)

mooseharris

20 Sep 2016

Well, it was either that or sniffing your fingertip for who knows what?

I pick my nose all the time...with my thumbnail.

jonheal

20 Sep 2016

That sounds painful. You must have very spacious nostrils. I must admit that I have this corn flake of a booger stuck in my right nostril that I can't seem get at. I keep carving out little chucks of nasal flesh around it, but I can't seem to get the actual corn flake!!!

But I guess I digress from the thread topic.

Haven't tried it, but I'm sure this SringWERK thing is awesome!

mooseharris

22 Sep 2016

Paid for it last night as the trial period ended. I'd written a couple of ideas as a direct result of using it and liked what came out. I didn't want to lose those ideas, so €99 it was.

It's such an easy tool to create with, and I can refine any string part using the Euphonic and Miroslav refills, so I'm pretty satisfied.

Carol Rein

21 Nov 2016

esselfortium wrote: To give another example that makes for easy comparisons, Archtop for Kontakt has 1) actual recorded note slides between any given two notes, playable just by playing those two notes in sequence on your midi keyboard, and 2) plays notes from the correct string based on the other notes you're playing, so the same note can have a different tone depending on what chord you're playing it with. The ReFill version of Archtop still sounds nice and you can do good work with it, but it isn't nearly as powerful because it lacks both of these features. You can't just sequence them in manually -- the samples for them are not included because there's no effective way to configure that in Reason using the stock devices. This isn't about what you as a user are willing to do in the sequencer, but actual library functionality that is only currently achievable in REs (or of course in Kontakt, but we're talking Reason here).
NN-XT has to evolve to reach something like Kontakt is. I think it would be a major improvement for Reason.

joeyluck

25 Nov 2016

Some things I would like to see improved with StringWERK:

- More consistent lengths between some of the expressive articulations.
For example, G#1 of Sforzando Slow holds longer than others. Overall they play very well, but this at least should be fixed (aside from the suggestions below).

- The ability to assign any of the articulations within the 7 slots. This would be handy and would feel more complete. But they did a great job with the approach they chose. I just think it would be more efficient for use if I could assign any of their articulations for key switching.
Would take longer to load all the samples, but could be a switch on the back like the A-List Guitarist series to load all samples. Still handier to not have to have it load each time you want to change articulation types.

- Be able to toggle/choose the arpeggiator for the custom display vs. having to load the Animator patch to access it.
Of course, the arpeggiator works best on the short articulations, but at times want to apply it to the other articulations.
This option or the one above (freedom to assign articulations to the slots) would help. Would also be nice to just be able to turn the arpeggiator off to play the short articulations (rather than loading the separate patch).

- When the SDK is updated, CV output so the arpeggiator can be assigned to other devices in Reason :)

Faastwalker

28 Nov 2016

What's it like for cinematic strings? You know, a bit of the old Hans Zimmer, should the mood take me? :D

kuhliloach

28 Nov 2016

Joey mentioned "lengths" above, so I thought I'd chime in about a related StringWERK bug I've discovered: note lengths when long are causing pops and ticks on certain articulations. It seems this is happening on Tremelo and Trill's when the note is played for a longer period -- they begin popping and ticking as if the loops periods were sloppily established. Considering the overall high quality of this instrument I am surprised this kind of noise is happening. Anyone else notice this? I am hoping an update to StringWERK will clean up this noise.

electrofux

28 Nov 2016

kuhliloach wrote:Joey mentioned "lengths" above, so I thought I'd chime in about a related StringWERK bug I've discovered: note lengths when long are causing pops and ticks on certain articulations. It seems this is happening on Tremelo and Trill's when the note is played for a longer period -- they begin popping and ticking as if the loops periods were sloppily established. Considering the overall high quality of this instrument I am surprised this kind of noise is happening. Anyone else notice this? I am hoping an update to StringWERK will clean up this noise.
I was under the assumption that my measily 4GB of RAM are the cause of this.

• Information