Spectra is on the way mid 2016

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
synthetechsound
RE Developer

29 Jan 2018

Loque wrote:
29 Jan 2018
Some suggestions :
* REsynth
* REspec Synthesizer
* FreQ Synthesizer
* FrequesiRE
* FrequesizRE
* LightBeam
* WaveBeam
* Tech1000
:-D

I once considered calling it "Additor" but (obviously) didn't.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

30 Jan 2018

synthetechsound wrote:
29 Jan 2018
Loque wrote:
29 Jan 2018
Some suggestions :
* REsynth
* REspec Synthesizer
* FreQ Synthesizer
* FrequesiRE
* FrequesizRE
* LightBeam
* WaveBeam
* Tech1000
:-D

I once considered calling it "Additor" but (obviously) didn't.
"Spectrox" came to my mind last night. But maybe that's just the Doctor Who fan in me... ;)

scratchnsnifff

30 Jan 2018

JiggeryPokery wrote:
29 Jan 2018
The last two posts highlight why this product probably needs a name change. And of course, there's already an RE device in the shop that really is called "Spectre". If people confuse your product with another product simply because they can't spell it properly (even when the product name is spelled out in the subject field and previous posts repeatedly) typed out in front of them, you're probably going to be fighting an uphill battle if people keep calling it the wrong name. It's a big decision and one any dev might be reluctant to make, but it might have been ok in 2016, it's probably a tad too generic at this point to risk not doing it, imho.

No-one has ever played "Trivial Pursuits" ;)
My bad, I won’t forget that now. Spectr-A

Now please don’t go name changing over a semi viral typo on two posts :p
Easy mistake isn’t spectr(E) the air raid crazy delay with drawable delay stuff?
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

scratchnsnifff

30 Jan 2018

scratchnsnifff

25 Feb 2018

anyone see the videos on youtube :D i assume they are close?

synthetechsound
RE Developer

25 Feb 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
25 Feb 2018
I had hoped to sneak that past everyone. :)

The current status is..... Beta Testing is complete. Spectra has been submitted to PH for approval. Pending PH approval it will be released. Note: I haven't been through this process before so its possible they may request changes which could delay the release.

You can check out the product description here. http://www.synthetechsound.com.au/index.php?cID=138
Apologies for the rough and ready state of my website. I've been really into development and testing.

scratchnsnifff

25 Feb 2018

synthetechsound wrote:
25 Feb 2018
scratchnsnifff wrote:
25 Feb 2018

The current status is..... Beta Testing is complete. Spectra has been submitted to PH for approval. Pending PH approval it will be released. Note: I haven't been through this process before so its possible they may request changes which could delay the release.

You can check out the product description here. http://www.synthetechsound.com.au/index.php?cID=138
Apologies for the rough and ready state of my website. I've been really into development and testing.
I sincerely apologize!!
As just a normal user my excitement gets the best of me, but ok just need to say that this looks out of this world and I can’t wait to see this! Can we perhaps blame YouTube’s subscription for notifying people like myself :) nice work man can’t wait to see the price and support the cause

Faastwalker

25 Feb 2018

Just spotted this video on Facebook;

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

26 Feb 2018

synthetechsound wrote:
25 Feb 2018
scratchnsnifff wrote:
25 Feb 2018
Yeah it doesn't work that way :D

Looks like an interesting synth. Will definitely check it out at some point, even though the last thing I need is another synth. :)

Glad to see you're taking the time to make proper videos for it too. That helps a lot and is much appreciated from a consumers perspective. Without demos or videos the likelyhood of buying something is significantly smaller, so this is good. :thumbs_up:

Loque

26 Feb 2018

Looks very interesting and promising. A big bunch of features. I hope I can check it out soon and have a free weekend to understand all this stuff and experiment. I guess you can come up with a good sound relative quickly, but than, than, if you want to go into details, you can! Can't wait to hear the morphing with some amps and other fx.
Reason12, Win10

Auryn

26 Feb 2018

synthetechsound wrote:
25 Feb 2018

Product description is looking really good. Or should I say "spectracular" ;) ... either way I'm certainly going to take this for a spin!
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

EnochLight

26 Feb 2018

Man.. I hate to be that guy (sorry not sorry :lol: )... but had this appeared 1-2 years ago, I might have considered it. The GUI/UX is nice, and the programmer seems super complex.. and Navi & Benedict did a great job on presets working with what they have... but I'm just not hearing anything that blows my socks off. Maybe it's the fact that there's no built-in effects and we're hearing raw patches? I don't know - this was a similar problem that native devices faced prior to Thor being added to the rack.

Still, I wish the dev the best of luck - I realize a tremendous amount of work went into bringing this to market. And kudos for adding sampling via the RE SDK 2.5 - that's pretty cool.

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Loque

26 Feb 2018

EnochLight wrote:
26 Feb 2018
... but I'm just not hearing anything that blows my socks off
This was just a matter of time to have such a comment...

But tbh, good fx can get great sounds even out of the worst synth. I am realy looking forward to this synth. The most patches i heard are not "my ones" too, but I can hear a lot of potential in the sounds, they sound clean, but with some kind of character. The tweaking possibilities could be very interesting to create "never heard sounds". As soon as it is out, i gonna test what this synth can produce. The more i create my own sounds in the last time, the less i care about patches and onboard-fx - i want quick dial in manipulation, uniqueness and lot of tweaking possiblities. I have plenty of good fx, so i dont need any medium onboard stuff. I appreciate, that the dev focussed all its development on the core of the synth and obviously this was a lot of time and effort.
Reason12, Win10

buddard
RE Developer

26 Feb 2018

synthetechsound wrote:
25 Feb 2018
scratchnsnifff wrote:
25 Feb 2018
A pro tip for future releases: If you upload your videos to Youtube as "Unlisted" instead of "Public", only people who explicitly receive the link from you will be able to see them. Then on release day you can change the video to "Public" to make it discoverable by anyone!

scratchnsnifff

26 Feb 2018

buddard wrote:
26 Feb 2018
synthetechsound wrote:
25 Feb 2018

A pro tip for future releases: If you upload your videos to Youtube as "Unlisted" instead of "Public", only people who explicitly receive the link from you will be able to see them. Then on release day you can change the video to "Public" to make it discoverable by anyone!
I still can’t believe I was THAT GUY jumping the gun XD I have much respect for this developer sticking with it. From the videos this seriously looks like a banger of a device. Idk any other devices except for proton2 with such a comprehensive custom display:) well done there. Are there any videos on the ability to resynthesize samples? I heard it mentioned on this thread and saw an audio input on one of the renders from a few years ago, unless it is built with the newest sdk and it’s just sample loading. Either way this is a must have for myself I’m glad there is something in the ballpark of harmor in Reason, also any word on price?

EnochLight

26 Feb 2018

Kudos to the dev for actually putting the time and effort into making these videos prior to launch - even if it was accidental release. The programmer is so complex, without these videos, I suspect the vast majority of potential customers would be lost. Hell, I know I would be! Lol
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

synthetechsound
RE Developer

26 Feb 2018

buddard wrote:
26 Feb 2018
synthetechsound wrote:
25 Feb 2018

Thanks RB.. that indeed was the miscue.

FLVZ

26 Feb 2018

Loque wrote:
26 Feb 2018
EnochLight wrote:
26 Feb 2018
... I have plenty of good fx, so i dont need any medium onboard stuff. I appreciate, that the dev focussed all its development on the core of the synth and obviously this was a lot of time and effort.
I agree with Loque, most of the time I find I don't really like the onboard efx as they tend to be an after thought. I'm not a huge fan of cluttering tonnes of features just to tick boxes. This device is quite unique in how it works and I'm pretty excited to see how far it can be pushed before reaching for a distortion unit or a reverb.
synthetechsound wrote:
26 Feb 2018
buddard wrote:
26 Feb 2018

Thanks RB.. that indeed was the miscue.
To be fair, I'd say this has worked out to be a great marketing move. People like me with tiny attention spans get to watch the tutorials (instead of failing to read the manual) before actually playing with the device so when its released we actually understand what we're doing and get good use from our trials, this would make a particularly big difference when a synth is released and at the same time a competition for it is created, so those who enjoy entering these competitions are afforded a headstart. I'd encourage more releases like this if I'm honest.

synthetechsound
RE Developer

26 Feb 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
26 Feb 2018

Are there any videos on the ability to resynthesize samples? I heard it mentioned on this thread and saw an audio input on one of the renders from a few years ago, unless it is built with the newest sdk and it’s just sample loading.
it does re-synthesis via the Analyser. Video 2 is dedicated to these topics. you can see a bit of what it can do via the analyser in the product description.

I'm currently working on the Filter video then I'm on to the Analyser video.

scratchnsnifff

26 Feb 2018

synthetechsound wrote:
26 Feb 2018
scratchnsnifff wrote:
26 Feb 2018

Are there any videos on the ability to resynthesize samples? I heard it mentioned on this thread and saw an audio input on one of the renders from a few years ago, unless it is built with the newest sdk and it’s just sample loading.
it does re-synthesis via the Analyser. Video 2 is dedicated to these topics. you can see a bit of what it can do via the analyser in the product description.

nice :) il be sure to watch the rest of these, i know that the second this comes out I'm all in, so far the videos live up to all of my expectations and more! haven't been this excited for an RE in a while

scratchnsnifff

26 Feb 2018

synthetechsound wrote:
26 Feb 2018
scratchnsnifff wrote:
26 Feb 2018

so i have a quick question about the spectrum modulators, as iv only seen the videos. Im confused at the brief mentioning of custom modulators? is that something like Xfer's custom remap modes? where you can draw a graph and create the classic bend +/- modes? where the waveform bends to the left or stretches from the middle to the left and right?
Id assume if it's an additive resynthesizer that you would be able to make a few waveforms and de-select some partials/phases to make the waveform bend in and out from itself

i hope i don't sound crazy explaining this :puf_bigsmile:

synthetechsound
RE Developer

26 Feb 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
26 Feb 2018
synthetechsound wrote:
26 Feb 2018

so i have a quick question about the spectrum modulators, as iv only seen the videos. Im confused at the brief mentioning of custom modulators? is that something like Xfer's custom remap modes? where you can draw a graph and create the classic bend +/- modes? where the waveform bends to the left or stretches from the middle to the left and right?
Id assume if it's an additive resynthesizer that you would be able to make a few waveforms and de-select some partials/phases to make the waveform bend in and out from itself

i hope i don't sound crazy explaining this :puf_bigsmile:
Thanks for the question.

I believe you may be referring to "Multiple Harmonic Modulation" or a "Multi" in Spectra Speak. In simple terms the multi enables you to control the amplitude of 1 or more (up to 256) harmonics in real time via the multi amount knob. There are about 30+ built in multi harmonic modulations. You can also specify up to 4 (per patch) custom or user defined multi's. As you can see in the video the display enables you to draw how the spectrum will be affected when you turn the amount knob. In the example given the built in multi "-Even" was used to waveshape a sawtooth wave into a square wave. (I understand this is a trite example but its easy to hear which is why I chose it.). Nevertheless, this is just one example of how it might be used. You can get wave shaping results from it and also wavetable (like Waldorf synths not like an IDT) types of results from it. In drawing your own "Multi" it can be handy to think of the spectrum as a 256 element parametric EQ with each harmonic as a level in that EQ that gets applied by the amount of the multi knob.

Interestingly, the beta testers didn't have access to these videos and I noticed a lot of the presets make use of multis for sonic movement. I believe most of the beta testers developed stuff by ear which is an extremely valid approach and certainly doable (i.e. you don't necessarily need to understand exactly how it works in order to use it.)

I hope this helps. Let me know if I can clarify it any further. There is some overlap of functionality between the morphing, multis and cross synthesis, but each can be used to get really different outcomes.

Faastwalker

26 Feb 2018

Loque wrote:
26 Feb 2018
EnochLight wrote:
26 Feb 2018
I feel the same. It looks & sounds great ...... but, we have no shortage of fantastic synth RE's in Reason by now & we can use VST's. As good as this RE looks it's entering a pretty comprehensive arena. It will need to blow us away, be well priced & make us a cup of tea to stand out. That's no determent to the developer. This thing looks amazing. It's just the reality of Rack Extensions & Reason in 2018.

EnochLight

26 Feb 2018

Faastwalker wrote:
26 Feb 2018
Loque wrote:
26 Feb 2018

I feel the same. It looks & sounds great ...... but, we have no shortage of fantastic synth RE's in Reason by now & we can use VST's. As good as this RE looks it's entering a pretty comprehensive arena. It will need to blow us away, be well priced & make us a cup of tea to stand out. That's no determent to the developer. This thing looks amazing. It's just the reality of Rack Extensions & Reason in 2018.
Took the words right out my mouth. Looking forward to trialing it, though!

• Information