Spectra is on the way mid 2016

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Loque

19 May 2016

Another additive synth, BUT: it will offer resynthesis with FFT. Could be interesting. Actually no more info available.

http://www.synthetechsound.com.au/index.php/products/
Reason12, Win10

Majestik Monkey

19 May 2016

Spectra offers several inbuilt waveforms for simple Subtractive patches (with an Additive bite) but also gives unrivalled control over the wave shape from the Spectrum, as well as over time with Envelopes, :puf_bigsmile: Modulations and even external CV. :mrgreen: Waves and Filters can both be Morphed.

platzangst

19 May 2016

I'm actually a bit intrigued by this. Will this manipulation or re-synthesis of "external sounds" be something more than the vocoding that Parsec does? Are we talking live incoming streams, or dare I hope, actual external sample loading? Now I'm curious.

Majestik Monkey

19 May 2016

platzangst wrote:I'm actually a bit intrigued by this. Will this manipulation or re-synthesis of "external sounds" be something more than the vocoding that Parsec does? Are we talking live incoming streams, or dare I hope, actual external sample loading? Now I'm curious.

Dare I hope, actual external sample loading? Now I'm curious

Of course you should dare to hope # its not like your asking for a Trip to Mar's :puf_bigsmile:

Here's hoping too ! :puf_wink:

Breach The Sky

19 May 2016

platzangst wrote:I'm actually a bit intrigued by this. Will this manipulation or re-synthesis of "external sounds" be something more than the vocoding that Parsec does? Are we talking live incoming streams, or dare I hope, actual external sample loading? Now I'm curious.
This was discussed in the "Any news?" thread. The developer responded that you can re-synthesize (and save!) incoming audio, if I understand correctly. No sample loading it seems.

platzangst

19 May 2016

Breach The Sky wrote:This was discussed in the "Any news?" thread. The developer responded that you can re-synthesize (and save!) incoming audio, if I understand correctly. No sample loading it seems.
If true, that would be a huge enticement for my dollars, even without actually loading samples.

Breach The Sky

19 May 2016

My euros to. It will be interesting to se how you can manipulate the audio.

RequiemMachine

22 May 2016

This has gotten my attention...would definitely fill a spot in my rack! I'm excited to hear more!
Reason+ / Ableton Live / VCV Rack 2 pro
Producer/Artist of Sasquatch Cloaking Technology
Musican ~ Illustrator ~ Professional Napper

spacefarmer

31 May 2016

What do you think?
I wonder, if spectra will be like a little alchemy with two generators that are "open" for a lot of modulation.
I would like that very much if the quality of resynthesis will be good enough.

Nirude

31 May 2016

with a permission:
Synthetechsound RE Background.jpg
Synthetechsound RE Background.jpg (351.18 KiB) Viewed 5667 times
3d man.

riemac

31 May 2016

Very interesting picture. Will it be in the shop this week?
I still think there is a display on the bottom of the synth and on the display is the word spectra.
Maybe the display is used for the envelopes and the waveforms. I cannot see any envelopes elsewhere.

challism

01 Jun 2016

I'm pretty excited to try this synth! Looks like a sweet GUI.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

fieldframe
RE Developer

01 Jun 2016

Nice render! I wonder if that big thing at the bottom is a partials/waveform display.

riemac

01 Jun 2016

fieldframe wrote:Nice render! I wonder if that big thing at the bottom is a partials/waveform display.
I'm wondering the same thing.

decibel

01 Jun 2016

riemac wrote:
fieldframe wrote:Nice render! I wonder if that big thing at the bottom is a partials/waveform display.
maybe props have been quietly working on their sdk huh ? would love see more advanced graphics being utilized in reason

Loque

01 Jun 2016

decibel wrote:
riemac wrote:
maybe props have been quietly working on their sdk huh ? would love see more advanced graphics being utilized in reason
I dont see every detail, but techically big displays are already possible and you can also create pseudo displays. Whats actually not possible, is to automate custom stuff on a custom display. Thats why except Movement no custom display can be automated. Thus ADSR curves without additional knobs are not automatable....
Reason12, Win10

rcbuse
RE Developer

01 Jun 2016

Loque wrote: I dont see every detail, but techically big displays are already possible and you can also create pseudo displays. Whats actually not possible, is to automate custom stuff on a custom display. Thats why except Movement no custom display can be automated. Thus ADSR curves without additional knobs are not automatable....
Well, custom displays do not have the ability to right click and select 'Edit Automatiion' or Alt-click to create the automation lane, but thats because most custom displays host multiple parameters and it isn't obvious which parameter you want to automate. But, all parameters should still automatable if you use the sequencers automation dropdown.
Screen Shot 2016-06-01 at 7.59.32 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-06-01 at 7.59.32 AM.png (63.52 KiB) Viewed 5487 times

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

01 Jun 2016

Plus if you create a track for the device, arm it and record then move custom display controls, the ones which can accept automation will draw in automatically into the sequencer

Lizard

01 Jun 2016

To take this one step further, as custom displays have automatable targets for values that are determined by the developer these can be controlled by remote technology as well. You can have your controller mapped to some of them. You may not be able to directly assign them by right clicking on the control however.

Breach The Sky

01 Jun 2016

I'm curious about the technical side. Like, how many partials can the engine handle per voice. I guess that will have an big impact on how good the overall sound quality and re-syntesis will sound for example?
Also curious how you can manipulate the waveforms in different ways... Guess I will know soon, pretty hyped actually!

Benedict
Competition Winner

01 Jun 2016

Just generally speaking: In some ways you will be surprised how good sound can be with only a few partials. Initially you think that 11ty billion would be better but so long as the engine handles things well, the sound will be smooth. After all a B3 only has about 9 partials.

Besides using lots of partials - the more you have the higher they go - leads to the perception of a "thinner" sound as the perceived weight of the sound tips onto the higher/brighter side of the balance.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Breach The Sky

01 Jun 2016

Benedict wrote:Just generally speaking: In some ways you will be surprised how good sound can be with only a few partials. Initially you think that 11ty billion would be better but so long as the engine handles things well, the sound will be smooth. After all a B3 only has about 9 partials.

Besides using lots of partials - the more you have the higher they go - leads to the perception of a "thinner" sound as the perceived weight of the sound tips onto the higher/brighter side of the balance.

You might be right about that. NI Razor "only" has a 320 partials engine but can sound so much rawer and fatter (imo) than for example parsec, which has 1024.

Benedict
Competition Winner

01 Jun 2016

It depends on so many other variables but adding another partial is simply adding another overtone. It is not like samples where more is a greater resolution overall, you are just adding another overtone on the top. Of course an infinite number would be nice in theory but in practice I find the control of particularly the high partial levels becomes problematic as the ability to work in micro db is impractical. The overall sound becomes buzzy and fizzy as the high overtones are too loud (for nature anyway).

Also with Nyquist, notes over about C3 can't really play those higher partials so the sound in the bass and treble don't really match each other as the overtones don't seem to stop playing an an entirely natural fashion, they just drop out not to note. That said Parsec does sound really smooth. There must be some other "magic" at work there - but of courese with Parsec there is no direct user control over partials.

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Reasonistas
RE Developer

03 Jun 2016

ImageImageImage

decibel

04 Jun 2016

sickness, that vid gets the pulse rate going ;)

• Information