Is it worth looking into RE filters?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

10 May 2016

So far I haven't looked into any filters available in the shop. I mostly use high pass and low pass filters and it's almost exclusively for mixing purposes. I either use the SSL filters or GQ-7 for those tasks.

Is it worth buying any RE filters?
Do they add something different compared to the SSL filters and GQ-7 filters?
Do you have a favorite filter device and if so, why?

PhutureD

10 May 2016

Try the primal audio filters and d-filter, theres also etch-red.
at the moment i use d-filter a lot. also if u have predator ,it has a whole host of filter types to choose
from.

Emian

10 May 2016

i hava Etch Red & PMS-20; i REALLY suggest you t otry PMS-20... the analogue drift it has; it sounds fantastic, if you like analogue-dirt-sound...

some great free patches her as well :

http://www.primal-audio.com/presets.html

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

dvdrtldg

10 May 2016

I guess it depends what you need filters for. If you're just doing HP/LP filtering, then you're probably OK with what you've got. D Filter has a super steep cutoff option (192 dB/oct), but if 96 is steep enough for you, then stick with GQ-7

The rest imo comes down to UI, distortion & features. Etch Red is a swiss army knife of modulation options and has my favourite distortion palette in the entire rack (I often use it just for this), but it's probably overkill if you're just going to use it for HP/LP. Same with Runciter - lots of shit you can do with it, it's really precise & aggressive and can wreak havoc on your sound if that sort of thing appeals. I like it for berserk noisy mayhem, but then I like berserk noisy mayhem. The Primal Audio filters deliver a big fat warm sound and are reasonably priced - PMS-20 is a real gem - and I also love the sound of Synapse AF-4, which does fat & dirty really nicely. And don't forget Ivoks synth - if you've got that, then you've got a very nice filter for running external audio through

txh003

10 May 2016

The Fxpansion Etch Red is great for filter effects, but probably not the best for general mixing purposes.

For general mixing tasks, the standard SSL filters should suffice for most needs. However, if desired, the Code Diggers D-Filter will provide the user with additional filter slopes.
:reason: :record: :recycle: :rebirth: :reload: :re: :refill:

Skullture

10 May 2016

dvdrtldg wrote:I guess it depends what you need filters for. If you're just doing HP/LP filtering, then you're probably OK with what you've got. D Filter has a super steep cutoff option (192 dB/oct), but if 96 is steep enough for you, then stick with GQ-7

The rest imo comes down to UI, distortion & features. Etch Red is a swiss army knife of modulation options and has my favourite distortion palette in the entire rack (I often use it just for this), but it's probably overkill if you're just going to use it for HP/LP. Same with Runciter - lots of shit you can do with it, it's really precise & aggressive and can wreak havoc on your sound if that sort of thing appeals. I like it for berserk noisy mayhem, but then I like berserk noisy mayhem. The Primal Audio filters deliver a big fat warm sound and are reasonably priced - PMS-20 is a real gem - and I also love the sound of Synapse AF-4, which does fat & dirty really nicely. And don't forget Ivoks synth - if you've got that, then you've got a very nice filter for running external audio through
I'd back this comment 100%. Pretty much covers it. PMS-20 and Etch Red are superb imo.

Loque

10 May 2016

GQ is very nice for BP filtering and more. For effekts try all filters in the shop. PMS-20 and F-16 are one of my favorites. Also checkout Synapse and other EQs. Dont forget you can use Thor and other synths for filtering external audio.
Reason12, Win10

dvdrtldg

11 May 2016

Anybody using the Digital Filter? It never gets mentioned in these discussions, looks interesting. Continuously variable slope, lots of CV inputs including note & gate (wtf?), envelope follower etc. I downloaded it for a trial but hardly got the chance to touch it during the following month. At $35 it's just a tad too expensive to buy on a what-the-hell basis, be interested to know if anyone likes it

Loque

11 May 2016

dvdrtldg wrote:Anybody using the Digital Filter? It never gets mentioned in these discussions, looks interesting. Continuously variable slope, lots of CV inputs including note & gate (wtf?), envelope follower etc. I downloaded it for a trial but hardly got the chance to touch it during the following month. At $35 it's just a tad too expensive to buy on a what-the-hell basis, be interested to know if anyone likes it
I never tried it, but looks to simple to me, just like simple filter, nothing more. And 35€? Naaaa....
Reason12, Win10

tibah

11 May 2016

I use D-Filter and I like Runciter, but never bought it.

D-Filter is a fun filter to use, up to 192dB per octave slopes and the overdrive is sweet. :)

Rook

11 May 2016

With GQ-7, you probably don't "need" anything else, but D-Filter is awesome. The analog modeled filters, like PMS-20, seem like they'd be more useful for creative purposes, rather than mixing. D-Filter is great for both. I use it all over the place. And it's not that expensive; if you got some extra cash, go for it.

raymondh

11 May 2016

I never really thnk about how to use filters outside of synth sound design where the filter is attached to a voice, and is polyphonic with envelope and key follow.

For mixing, I always assumed that EQ was for channel/stem filtering. I bought Etch, but haven't really found how to use it.

Looks like I have been missing a useful creative tool.

lowpryo

11 May 2016

I'd like to add the AirRaid Elements filter as a great option if you need a high/lowpass in your signal chain.

I used to use D-Filter for this purpose, but I noticed that when its LP filter is totally open (but not bypassed), there is a slight but noticeable attentuation above 10kHz. The Elements filter does not have as much attenuation there, and it's less CPU-heavy. so you sacrifice the variety of filter slopes for those benefits.

(I have high praise for the whole Elements bundle - for basic mix things I usually reach for those before the native devices these days)

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

11 May 2016

Thanks for all responses. I think I'll start with having a look at PMS-20 and Synapse AF-4. I've bought things from Synapse before and I like them so that's a good start. Also both PMS-20 and AF-4 look very simple and that speaks to me.

Lots of people seem to love Etch Red and I'm sure it's awesome, but just looking at it I can tell I'm not gonna use it. Way too many options. I feel the same about Rob Papen products. Great stuff but too much stuff to tweak makes my head hurt.

8cros

11 May 2016

TritoneAddiction wrote:So far I haven't looked into any filters available in the shop. I mostly use high pass and low pass filters and it's almost exclusively for mixing purposes. I either use the SSL filters or GQ-7 for those tasks.

I have unifilter and Yoko, but I use combi who made 20 x lp12 filters. This filter is somewhere between 72 and 48dB / octave. Sometimes I use it.
Last edited by 8cros on 12 May 2016, edited 2 times in total.
Record For The Real Force
REASON RESONANCES

selig
RE Developer

11 May 2016

8cros wrote:
TritoneAddiction wrote:So far I haven't looked into any filters available in the shop. I mostly use high pass and low pass filters and it's almost exclusively for mixing purposes. I either use the SSL filters or GQ-7 for those tasks.

I have unifilter and Yoko, but I use combi who made 20 x lp12 filters. This filter is somewhere between 72 and 48dB / octave. Sometimes I use it.
20 12 dB/Oct filters in series gives you 240 dB/Oct - you sure you used 20? ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

8cros

11 May 2016

selig wrote:
8cros wrote:

Yes, 10 filters and 10 right, besides the effect of a little less than desirable at the beginning.
A filter in which more than 24 dB / octave, it is difficult to do, because as the number of filters is reduced range. I've experimented so that the filter has processed high frequency.
REASON RESONANCES

selig
RE Developer

12 May 2016

8cros wrote:
selig wrote:
8cros wrote:

Yes, 10 filters and 10 right, besides the effect of a little less than desirable at the beginning.
A filter in which more than 24 dB / octave, it is difficult to do, because as the number of filters is reduced range. I've experimented so that the filter has processed high frequency.
You only need to gang 2 4-pole filters together to get 48 dB/Oct slopes (or 4 2-pole filters - same thing). 3 4-pole filters gives you a 72 dB/Oct slope.

10 2-pole filters gives you 120 dB/Oct slopes!

You can't have a filter "somewhere between 72 and 48 dB/Oct" unless there is a variable slope of some sort - and then it will only require 3 4-pole filters max.

Maybe I should be asking how you are going about this, because you seem to be coming up with some unexpected results IMO.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

12 May 2016

Just tried out PMS-20 and Synapse AF-4 and compared them to what I could achieve with GQ-7 and Saturation Knob. That seemed like a fair comparison.
I actually preferred the sound I got from from GQ-7 and Saturation Knob and it was way more flexible too.

To be honest I was sort of expecting more trying out these REs since their only job is to be dedicated filters and people seem to like them.
Maybe I used them wrong but I feel pretty confident I have what I need already.

So I guess I've sort of answered my own question then. "Is it worth looking into RE filters?"
Not really, at least not for me.

Loque

12 May 2016

TritoneAddiction wrote:Just tried out PMS-20 and Synapse AF-4 and compared them to what I could achieve with GQ-7 and Saturation Knob. That seemed like a fair comparison.
I actually preferred the sound I got from from GQ-7 and Saturation Knob and it was way more flexible too.

To be honest I was sort of expecting more trying out these REs since their only job is to be dedicated filters and people seem to like them.
Maybe I used them wrong but I feel pretty confident I have what I need already.

So I guess I've sort of answered my own question then. "Is it worth looking into RE filters?"
Not really, at least not for me.
The filters are more interesting with the Env or note settings, that cannot be easily achieved with an EQ. And both PMS and F-16 have high oscilation and overdrive. Also you can filter the resonance edge with only one knob. Well, thats why i use the filters for creative purposes and as filters for a synth right after the oscilator, and there you realy get different results. Lots of fun with Env curves and notes... Btw: all synths should have a breakout an in after the oscilator, just like Thor...

Tbh: i never used a filter for HP or LP filtering in a mix or to clean it lol...
Reason12, Win10

8cros

12 May 2016

selig wrote:
8cros wrote:
selig wrote:
8cros wrote:

You only need to gang 2 4-pole filters together to get 48 dB/Oct slopes (or 4 2-pole filters - same thing). 3 4-pole filters gives you a 72 dB/Oct slope.

10 2-pole filters gives you 120 dB/Oct slopes!

You can't have a filter "somewhere between 72 and 48 dB/Oct" unless there is a variable slope of some sort - and then it will only require 3 4-pole filters max.

Maybe I should be asking how you are going about this, because you seem to be coming up with some unexpected results IMO.
Yes, I think so too. But in practice, the nine Malstrom lp 12 filters does not give 108. :?
Last edited by 8cros on 12 May 2016, edited 1 time in total.
REASON RESONANCES

selig
RE Developer

12 May 2016

All I'm saying is that adding filters is linear - add two 12 dB/Oct filters and you get a 24 dB/Oct slope. Add another you get 36 dB/Oct, etc. Something is definitely not right in your example!
Here's the visual proof, using Maelstrom of course (each vertical arrow is the same exact height, or 12 dB):
Selig Audio, LLC

8cros

12 May 2016

selig wrote:All I'm saying is that adding filters is linear - add two 12 dB/Oct filters and you get a 24 dB/Oct slope. Add another you get 36 dB/Oct, etc. Something is definitely not right in your example!
Here is my project and combinator.
Reason song's file that in the picture. Yoko cuts more. :puf_unhappy: :oops:
REASON RESONANCES

selig
RE Developer

12 May 2016

8cros wrote:
selig wrote:All I'm saying is that adding filters is linear - add two 12 dB/Oct filters and you get a 24 dB/Oct slope. Add another you get 36 dB/Oct, etc. Something is definitely not right in your example!
The Maelstrom slope looks to be only 12 dB/Octave, right? Each horizontal line is 6 dB, each vertical line is one octave, so it's the default 12 dB/Oct slope that we're seeing in this pic if I'm not mistaken. Not sure how you add 9 Maelstroms and end up with the default filter slope…again, something is definitely not quite right there!
Selig Audio, LLC

8cros

12 May 2016

selig wrote:
8cros wrote:
The Maelstrom slope looks to be only 12 dB/Octave, right? Each horizontal line is 6 dB, each vertical line is one octave, so it's the default 12 dB/Oct slope that we're seeing in this pic if I'm not mistaken. Not sure how you add 9 Maelstroms and end up with the default filter slope…again, something is definitely not quite right there!
I really found a small error in connection. Some of the filters (4) did not work. :mrgreen: :|
Here is the correct image and my combi filter. And an example of a file. To open it, you need to Spectrum and Re Yoko band splitter. I corrected the error but Yoko still looks better.
Attachments
Filter example.zip
(1.25 MiB) Downloaded 44 times
Untitled-2.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg (141.59 KiB) Viewed 2328 times
LP 108 Malstrom.zip
(751.89 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
REASON RESONANCES

• Information