Crapre 2

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
K1TTENM1TTEN

01 Apr 2016

Okay, so I get that everyone is excited, and rainbow dolphins is admittedly very nice. But am I the only one that is actually pretty pissed that this RE is not an update/upgrade from Crapre? Crapre, as much of a novelty and fun toy as it is, is almost completely unusable on most tracks thanks to it being constantly on, no way to adjust its wet/dry, and so on.

If Peff truly listened to all of the purchasers of the first one and made a version to accommodate those complaints, wouldn't it make sense that this would be the update we all wanted/had hoped for? Sure, $9 is pretty cheap by itself, but at $18 total (for those who bought the first) for something that should have been a free upgrade is a pretty big let down. At that price range, one could almost buy Devastator 2 when it's on sale. At the very least there could be a discount for those of us who bought the first one that was sent via email. I'd gladly pay $3 or $4, but at $9 that is just a bit of an insult.

Glad to see ya back, Peff, but not really thrilled to see the lack of customer-minded development.

avasopht
Competition Winner

01 Apr 2016

Lizard wrote:I would love to see the Total CRAP bundle deal offering both CRAPre 1 and number Two. Number two is a superior product but people may be missing out on having kitten and unicorn CRAP in their mix.
Sounds like Uttre Crapre

Last Alternative

01 Apr 2016

I'll ask again.. Are all the functions able to be automated this time?
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Olivier

01 Apr 2016

I understand, but personally I wouldn't want to have to trade in my kittens to be able to have the dolphins. And I'm ok with 9€. Even if it's somewhat of an upgrade.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

avasopht
Competition Winner

01 Apr 2016

K1TTENM1TTEN wrote:Okay, so I get that everyone is excited, and rainbow dolphins is admittedly very nice. But am I the only one that is actually pretty pissed that this RE is not an update/upgrade from Crapre? Crapre, as much of a novelty and fun toy as it is, is almost completely unusable on most tracks thanks to it being constantly on, no way to adjust its wet/dry, and so on.

If Peff truly listened to all of the purchasers of the first one and made a version to accommodate those complaints, wouldn't it make sense that this would be the update we all wanted/had hoped for? Sure, $9 is pretty cheap by itself, but at $18 total (for those who bought the first) for something that should have been a free upgrade is a pretty big let down. At that price range, one could almost buy Devastator 2 when it's on sale. At the very least there could be a discount for those of us who bought the first one that was sent via email. I'd gladly pay $3 or $4, but at $9 that is just a bit of an insult.

Glad to see ya back, Peff, but not really thrilled to see the lack of customer-minded development.
Sounds like they're shitting on all their bottom line supporters.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

01 Apr 2016

I just started making a Crapre 2 song. The rule I've set for myself is every sound has to get processed through Crapre 2 in some way.

Wish me luck :)

I'll let you hear it when it's ready.

K1TTENM1TTEN

01 Apr 2016

eauhm wrote:I understand, but personally I wouldn't want to have to trade in my kittens to be able to have the dolphins. And I'm ok with 9€. Even if it's somewhat of an upgrade.
True, but Peff could have easily done both - Make an update for the original for the current owners of CrapRe, and then release the dolphin skinned version of the update for those who did not get to purchase the first. The upgrade would have been praised by those who owned the kitten version, and if they wanted to have a dolphin rack, they could buy that one. I suppose the salt in the wound is that in the product description is makes it clear that Peff heard the simple things we (the owners of CrapRe) wanted (a wet/dry knob). So instead of updating our RE like was said was going to happen when CrapRe came out, he just releases another one with the features that should have been in the update and is charging $9 for it (the same price as the original). Hella lame.

Olivier

01 Apr 2016

K1TTENM1TTEN wrote:
eauhm wrote:I understand, but personally I wouldn't want to have to trade in my kittens to be able to have the dolphins. And I'm ok with 9€. Even if it's somewhat of an upgrade.
True, but Peff could have easily done both - Make an update for the original for the current owners of CrapRe, and then release the dolphin skinned version of the update for those who did not get to purchase the first. The upgrade would have been praised by those who owned the kitten version, and if they wanted to have a dolphin rack, they could buy that one. I suppose the salt in the wound is that in the product description is makes it clear that Peff heard the simple things we (the owners of CrapRe) wanted (a wet/dry knob). So instead of updating our RE like was said was going to happen when CrapRe came out, he just releases another one with the features that should have been in the update and is charging $9 for it (the same price as the original). Hella lame.
I don't share your disappointment, but I do think you have good points.

challism

01 Apr 2016

This is worth just buying to support Peff and Sonic Charge. Good to see Sonic Charge actually doing something RE related! This product description is hilarious! And I love the name of the present in the picture "Smooth Craperator"
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

PSoames

01 Apr 2016

First time round was mildly amusing.

Second time around this just smells of a cynical attempt to capitalize on the, probably surprising, success of the first.

I have the utmost respect for the developers, it just feels like they have little respect for us the consumers; their current business model appearing to be based on the old adage that a fool and his money are easily separated.

Shoddy!

Olivier

01 Apr 2016

Last Alternative wrote:I'll ask again.. Are all the functions able to be automated this time?
Every knob is automatable yes.

K1TTENM1TTEN

01 Apr 2016

challism wrote:This is worth just buying to support Peff...
While I certainly understand that supporting your fav devs is a good thing, I don't understand supporting a dev that offers no support of their products. No returned emails, no follow up on promises, and total disregard to customer requests for an update; not so sure if I will be supporting this dev any more.

MarkTarlton

01 Apr 2016

K1TTENM1TTEN wrote:
challism wrote:This is worth just buying to support Peff...
While I certainly understand that supporting your fav devs is a good thing, I don't understand supporting a dev that offers no support of their products. No returned emails, no follow up on promises, and total disregard to customer requests for an update; not so sure if I will be supporting this dev any more.
to me this device is a different beast...it's only 9 dollars man! you guys realize this took time to make and resources :)

K1TTENM1TTEN

01 Apr 2016

MarkTarlton wrote:to me this device is a different beast...it's only 9 dollars man! you guys realize this took time to make and resources :)
I get what you're saying, I really do. It's only $9, that's a fancy lunch, etc etc. But to me, it is a matter of principle, not a matter of $9. To me, I spent $9 on the first RE because it had a developer who said they would update the RE later, but they never did; instead, the developer pushes out what should have been the promised update as an entirely different RE with a different background. I get it, this RE is goofy, it's funny, it's absurd, it's the reason I bought the first RE (look at my avatar, it would probably go to show that the first RE was an instant buy based on my enjoyment of the ridiculous-factor). But the problem is that the developer left high and dry their first batch of customers - no response to emails, no updates, no anything, and some of these issues truly cripple the first CrapRe to actually being useable.

Going back to this taking time to make and resources - I get that, too. I have beta tested for numerous devs in the VST world, as well as in the RE market. A lot goes into making a plug in, and a lot of times when you fix one thing another goes out of whack. But what I have also seen is devs who listen to their testers and their customers. What about my time and my resources? Those are valuable as well. To me, as much as I want this and have been looking forward to an update to the original, I find this a hard pill to want to buy and then swallow. It has everything that the first one should have had. It is exactly what I had wished would have been updated from the first.

Do I feel this should be a free update? Actually, yes. Why? Because the first one simply does not work well. It needs to be fixed, there are serious bugs/problems with it. Would I be willing to pay for an upgrade? Sure, but again, at something like $4 rather than the full price of the original RE.

Ultimately just because it's only $9 doesn't mean it can't be taken seriously by the dev. Look at Nautilus, Iridium, MS-34, and GClip; these REs are solid examples of just because they are $9 doesn't mean they lack what they need to work well fully out of the box. For example, GClip's dev added a critical UI feature that everyone requested. There was not an excuse of, "well it's only $9, you get what you get and you better be happy with it." Instead, the dev sought out to do what their customers and potential customers both requested, and thus not only made a killer product, but gained a loyal customer.

I truly am not trying to be "that guy" as I know that this has been released as a "ha ha" kind of RE. But I feel like the laugh is on me and Peff's first time CrapRE customers after buying the first one and the dev trying to charge us full price for an update to the first one that should have happened ages ago.

MarkTarlton

01 Apr 2016

check this y'all :)

I think this is hilarious!
https://allihoopa.com/s/OqJfwG3h

Vince-Noir-99

01 Apr 2016

MarkTarlton wrote:check this y'all :)

I think this is hilarious!
https://allihoopa.com/s/OqJfwG3h

:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :puf_smile:

dvdrtldg

01 Apr 2016

K1TTENM1TTEN wrote:
I truly am not trying to be "that guy"
Yeah but you are still totally being "that guy"

joeyluck

01 Apr 2016

I was very excited to see this in the shop today :)

Yes, there was mention of the other Crapre potentially receiving updates, but there was no mention if those would be paid updates. And if it was a paid update, $9 would be the cheapest allowed.

I can't speak for the developers, but at the time, I thought the mention of 'support and updates' was simply to set users at ease about it's planned removal from the shop—letting users know that support and bug fixes would still be possible.

I'm sure there are some users here who can appreciate the new version with the new GUI that doesn't replace their kittens and sprinkle pooping unicorns.

sdst
Competition Winner

01 Apr 2016

I prefer the TMA Commentator than this, and it's free

lowpryo

01 Apr 2016

If they did explicitly promise updates and didn't deliver, that is a bummer. but I also think we have to accept that when we make a purchase, we are only guaranteed the product in its current state. if you truly thought it was an unfinished and useless product when it was available, why did you buy it?

I personally missed the chance to buy the first Crapre and I'm kinda envious of people who would have both. it is a fun little oddity and novelty.

Leighbeater

01 Apr 2016

lowpryo wrote:If they did explicitly promise updates and didn't deliver, that is a bummer. but I also think we have to accept that when we make a purchase, we are only guaranteed the product in its current state. if you truly thought it was an unfinished and useless product when it was available, why did you buy it?

I personally missed the chance to buy the first Crapre and I'm kinda envious of people who would have both. it is a fun little oddity and novelty.

you didn't miss anything the first one was Crap!!!

Loque

01 Apr 2016

And this one is Crap 2...(you got it?)
Reason12, Win10

Eagleizer

01 Apr 2016

joeyluck wrote:I was very excited to see this in the shop today :)

Yes, there was mention of the other Crapre potentially receiving updates, but there was no mention if those would be paid updates. And if it was a paid update, $9 would be the cheapest allowed.

I can't speak for the developers, but at the time, I thought the mention of 'support and updates' was simply to set users at ease about it's planned removal from the shop—letting users know that support and bug fixes would still be possible.

I'm sure there are some users here who can appreciate the new version with the new GUI that doesn't replace their kittens and sprinkle pooping unicorns.
There are some guessing that you present as facts in your post. ;)

"LIMITED AVAILABILITY
The Crapre Cassette Recorder Audio Processor Rack Extension is very boutiquey so quantities are limited to the supply on hand. Our stock of reclaimed coffee stained wood panels, lead spray paint cans, and unicorn stickers will run out by May 1, 2014! Those with full Crapre licenses will continue to receive support and updates through their user accounts. After May Day, you’re crap out of luck….all units will be gone! Don’t be the fool that misses this one-time opportunity!!!"

Don`t see anything about "potentially" getting updates. It clearly states that there will be.
Since the updates were to continue being received through user accounts, I would say
it states that it would be free too...

Cheers :)

ClassickHitz

01 Apr 2016

...and even when told upfront it's Crap or Crap 2 people will still buy it. Then surprisingly with foolish amazement cry out "why oh why does this not perform to my desired standard".

The perfect case study for Propellerhead to always defer to when providing their own mediocrity.

Because in the end if they build it (no matter how crappy) they know you will not only buy but defend it to the end :? :?

Even when it's crap.

joeyluck

01 Apr 2016

Eagleizer wrote:
joeyluck wrote:I was very excited to see this in the shop today :)

There are some guessing that you present as facts in your post. ;)

"LIMITED AVAILABILITY
The Crapre Cassette Recorder Audio Processor Rack Extension is very boutiquey so quantities are limited to the supply on hand. Our stock of reclaimed coffee stained wood panels, lead spray paint cans, and unicorn stickers will run out by May 1, 2014! Those with full Crapre licenses will continue to receive support and updates through their user accounts. After May Day, you’re crap out of luck….all units will be gone! Don’t be the fool that misses this one-time opportunity!!!"

Don`t see anything about "potentially" getting updates. It clearly states that there will be.
Since the updates were to continue being received through user accounts, I would say
it states that it would be free too...

Cheers :)
Sorry if what I said was coming across as 'fact.' I was only conveying how I had interpreted it. My perception was that folks seemed to be concerned with, "But what happens to my Rack Extension if it's removed from the shop?" I felt this addressed that specifically.
Maybe it could've been worded differently.

If I subscribe to your blog and get an email saying that I will continue to receive notifications about your blog's activity...and then I get no notifications because you don't post anything to your blog... it doesn't mean I won't "continue to receive notifications about your blog."
Again, just different ways we interpret it I guess.

• Information