SW4-C update and price change

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
ddrex
Competition Winner

19 Feb 2016

The SW4-C module will soon be getting a content update (no changes to the RE itself) and a significant price change (up at least 100 euros).
This move is a first step in its integration into the R.O.M.O.S (Random Organized Multidimensional Oscillation System) architecture,
aimed at creating sound backgrounds in diverse locations.
This will make it much to expensive for just a Reason utility not used in the R.O.M.O.S context.
for anyone who was waiting for a feature update or a sale this would be a good time to try the SW4-C :)

Doodov Digital Design

Loque

20 Feb 2016

Maybe i missed something in your post... But you want 100€ for your device in future? This would be more a menace than a sale offer...
Reason12, Win10

gak

20 Feb 2016

Yeah, 15 bucks to 115 is kinda strange.

dvdrtldg

20 Feb 2016

Oh yeah, that thing. It's been on my Must Sit Down With the Manual and Try To Figure Out How the Fuck It Works list for some time now

ddrex
Competition Winner

20 Feb 2016

The product only sold about 40 in 2 years and most people interested in it will already have it.
The price shift is taking place to make it part of a more complex offer with custom refills for a larger public than Reason tweakers :)
We just want people like maybe dvdrtdg who would like to have an extra cv toy to add to the rack to be able to consider it before it moves to its other function.

Loque

20 Feb 2016

Bad to here that your invest into the dvelop of this RE missed your expectations. I never checked this RE because i had A/B switch for free and i rarely use this. I prefere switches with knobs to adjust the amount.

Good luck with your future products.
Reason12, Win10

pjeudy

20 Feb 2016

ddrex wrote:The SW4-C module will soon be getting a content update (no changes to the RE itself) and a significant price change (up at least 100 euros).
This move is a first step in its integration into the R.O.M.O.S (Random Organized Multidimensional Oscillation System) architecture,
aimed at creating sound backgrounds in diverse locations.
This will make it much to expensive for just a Reason utility not used in the R.O.M.O.S context.
for anyone who was waiting for a feature update or a sale this would be a good time to try the SW4-C :)

Doodov Digital Design
small thing.......
as I was reading your post I was asking my self what is a "SW4-C module" and if you are the developer why didn't you post an Image and link of your product instead of me having to go and search for it.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

ddrex
Competition Winner

20 Feb 2016

thanks Loque, but don't worry the sales were really higher than we expected !
In any case this is not about trying to make some extra sales but rather trying to avoid someone feeling like
"hey that could have been a fun cv toy but not at that new price, and no warning this would happen"

hamu

20 Feb 2016

ddrex wrote:thanks Loque, but don't worry the sales were really higher than we expected !
In any case this is not about trying to make some extra sales but rather trying to avoid someone feeling like
"hey that could have been a fun cv toy but not at that new price, and no warning this would happen"
I like your attitude and appreciate your heads up! :)

Dave909

20 Feb 2016

So i take it the update is going to be a paid one?

electrochoc (PRX-A)

20 Feb 2016

ddrex wrote:The product only sold about 40 in 2 years and most people interested in it will already have it.
With all respect, I will disagree here. I remember that, when SW4-C was released, I looked quickly at it, and didn't felt it was something I needed. Meanwhile though, in the last months, I developed the need (or the taste) for a setting capable of sending a CV signal to different instruments, like a reversed TrafficControl. But I totally forgot about SW4-C, and was just waiting for a developer to make such a device...

When I saw your post, I thought "What was that device anyway?" and looked at it. And, damn, it was exactly what I was looking for! With extra features! I will make further testing with it, but will likely buy it before the weekend ends.

My point is there might still be a market for SW4-C as is, that could be lost if it is integrated in one bigger product. And that would be unfortunate, for new Reason users and for those, like me, who, sadly, forgot about it...
ddrex wrote:The price shift is taking place to make it part of a more complex offer with custom refills for a larger public than Reason tweakers :)
We just want people like maybe dvdrtdg who would like to have an extra cv toy to add to the rack to be able to consider it before it moves to its other function.
Sure I don't know what you have in mind... Do you want to upgrade the "factory sound bank" of SW4-C to the point it would be a new and massive product? Do you want to raise its price to the point it would be pointless to get it outside a more important bundle?

Either way, I'd like to make you a simple suggestion. You could leave the current version of SW4-C untouched in the shop, with CV tweakers in mind, and release the product you have in mind separatly, or as part of the bigger project you are developing. This way, customers would have the choice between the original stand-alone version of SW4-C and the bigger project you have for it.

I may refer you to what Blamsoft did: Distributor, a really useful toy for CV tweakers, was first released as a stand-alone product, and then integrated it into the Polymodular system, without removing the possibility to get it individually. I will also refer you to Hamu: it is possible to release a product two times with a slight change, to fit the taste and needs of its customers (in his case: the color!). Jiggery-Pokery might also be a reference: he released different versions of Ammo, to cover different needs.

My point is it would better to make two separate products with SW4-C and the super-SW4-C you're thinking about... Sure, it's only a suggestion, but, now that I've tried SW4-C, I will likely recommand it to those who are looking for such a CV switch! :D
This comment is provided courtesy of PRX-A!

Ostermilk

20 Feb 2016

Ya.

So I make a bike chain to retail at $15, I then make something more complex to fit the chain to, let's say a bike, then I suddenly have to sell the chain for $115 because now it's part of a bike?

I've gotta say I'm appreciating the heads up as well...'cause I like to know where the prize ones are then I don't jump as much when one sneaks up on me. :)

ddrex
Competition Winner

20 Feb 2016

Just to clarify:
The update will be free for existing owners
The chain bike thing is actually a good way to look at it. With the difference that the chain
will still be useful for those who don't want to go cycling.
Electrochoc, We entirely agree with your point but the uncertainty of the concept ever making money and the fact
that we externalize the programming prevents this from happening in the near future.
We are only a small company with a vision but limited resources :)

electrochoc (PRX-A)

20 Feb 2016

ddrex wrote:Just to clarify:
The update will be free for existing owners
The chain bike thing is actually a good way to look at it. With the difference that the chain
will still be useful for those who don't want to go cycling.
Electrochoc, We entirely agree with your point but the uncertainty of the concept ever making money and the fact
that we externalize the programming prevents this from happening in the near future.
We are only a small company with a vision but limited resources :)
Thanks for your answer! A few minutes ago, I pressed the "buy" button to get the chain; I can't wait to see what the bike will look like! :D
This comment is provided courtesy of PRX-A!

satyr32

21 Feb 2016

ddrex, are the refills aimed at other REs or just stock devices?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

ddrex
Competition Winner

21 Feb 2016

The plan is for them to use mainly stock devices
But R.O.M.O.S specifications will be on the upgrade shop page

O1B

21 Feb 2016

Ditto!
electrochoc (PRX-A) wrote:Thanks for your answer! A few minutes ago, I pressed the "buy" button to get the chain; I can't wait to see what the bike will look like! :D

joeyluck

21 Feb 2016

I mentioned this on Facebook, but I see 'ReFills' being mentioned here, so I am even more confused.
When you say 'ReFill' do you actually mean presets attached to the RE?

It's also said that there is no change to the RE itself.

So if there is no change to the RE, why not make and sell a ReFill separately? Since the device itself doesn't have patch loading, any included patches will be overlooked by many. I assume these are all Combinator patches anyways?

ddrex
Competition Winner

21 Feb 2016

Without going too much into the R.O.M.O.S concept that is a structure for creating random, controlled soundscapes over multi-speaker systems,
the Refill system will mostly be prearranged Reason song set-ups made of custom combinators using the SW4-C RE, field recordings and a lot of cables :)
Because Refills offer no copy-protection we have to make the RE itself more expensive to compensate for the large amount of time they take to make.

challism

21 Feb 2016

Your RE (SW4-C) was buried in the shop, so I must have overlooked it all these years. Anyway, this post did get my attention and I watched your videos. This seems like a pretty useful RE, so I am going to try it. When do you plan on raising the price? Will I be able to use my full 30 days trialing it before you change the price?

Thanks
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

ddrex
Competition Winner

22 Feb 2016

Thanks for your interest in the SW4-C.
Don't forget to glance at the manual. There are a few things that are not obvious like the section input working with the track output of Charlotte for envelope switching or the correlation between the section out and the section in of Traffic Control.
The price change won't take place before at least 6 weeks

Zerosity

23 Feb 2016

Couldn't you just build the refill with the IDT that way its protected and you can keep it separated from the rack extension and not mess around with jacking the price?

ddrex
Competition Winner

24 Feb 2016

The new patch content will mostly be made of custom combinator patches and set-ups built around the SW4-C so the IDT
isn't really an option here

InavigableHeart

24 Feb 2016

What an eccentric device... and thread. :?:

Sounds kinda cool though! :ugeek:

ddrex
Competition Winner

24 Feb 2016

Think of it Reason can send an unlimited number of sound sources to 64 speakers modulated by unlimited bundles of cables.
That's quite a playground for controlled random switching :)

• Information