SW4-C update and price change

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
doctecazoid

24 Feb 2016

I'm totally down with eccentric, especially when it comes to doing wacky things with CV routing in Reason. I am fortunate to have TrafficControl, I just snagged the SW4-C today ... it will be interesting to see what new kinds of audio mayhem I can wire up. Thanks!

ddrex
Competition Winner

24 Feb 2016

Yes the SW4-C and TrafficControl work really well together. Have fun !

ddrex
Competition Winner

24 Feb 2016

In fact for people who don't have TrafficControl, the SW4-C can be used in nearly the same way with 4 sets of 4 inputs coming in and 1 set of 4 outputs coming out when the section switch is set to 1/4.
As can be seen in this short video:

ddrex
Competition Winner

14 Mar 2016

Here is a pre-presentation of R.O.M.O.S. More info as the update gets closer

Dave909

14 Mar 2016

Got on board too! That presentation is very interesting. I'll have to dive into the manual first tho. Looking forward to seeing the update appear! :)

submonsterz

14 Mar 2016

Just a silly question here but
How would this render out a wav from reason ? as I understand reason can only render out a stereo wav file and not multichannel wav files ?????? which the latter is needed for a multichannel(surround sound) wav ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Dave909

14 Mar 2016

You could export the channels and make a file in another application of course. I think this is more aimed at live generation of these soundscapes but the stereo version of it is interesting enough for me :)

ddrex
Competition Winner

14 Mar 2016

This is, in fact , a good question.
The thing is, this is a real time sound generating system that produces a different result every time. The soundscape is sent direct to the audio system to be listened to. The purpose of this is in fact to never listen to the same thing twice so recording the performance would normally not take place !
Also a set-up designed for a 16 speaker system should be played on one.
Having said that, any number of audio channels can be recorded from this and merged to fit a 4 way, stereo or even mono system but all the spacial work is then lost.

Leighbeater

15 Mar 2016

Bought it this morning, good video has me intrigued, looking forward to the update and thanks for giving everyone a heads up on the price increase

ddrex
Competition Winner

14 Apr 2016

As promised version 1.1.0 is now available.
We hope Reason users interested in this as a cv toy had the time to get before the price jump.
Now we will be concentrating on making unique randomly generated soundscapes and possibly
developing some extra REs to enhance the experience.

The Doodov Digital Design team.

pushedbutton

14 Apr 2016

It's interesting, not €139 interesting by a long shot though.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

avasopht
Competition Winner

14 Apr 2016

submonsterz wrote:Just a silly question here but
How would this render out a wav from reason ? as I understand reason can only render out a stereo wav file and not multichannel wav files ?????? which the latter is needed for a multichannel(surround sound) wav ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Bounce!

submonsterz

14 Apr 2016

avasopht wrote:
Bounce!
obviously you do not understand multi channel ?
you cannot bounce multi channel from reason !!!
if you can bounce multi channel in reason you are like god and I want to know how you can do it as no one else can.
it cannot do it simple as that .......
it can only render mono or stereo bounces.

from ddrex answer

Having said that, any number of audio channels can be recorded from this and merged to fit a 4 way, stereo or even mono system but all the spacial work is then lost.

underlined and coloured the important part for you there :).
hope this helps you understand reason cannot render multi channel files :thumbs_up:

pushedbutton

14 Apr 2016

If you wanted to export more than two channels of audio from Reason you'd just have to do it in stages and encode them in something designed for mixing multi channel audio, Protools and Reaper does the trick, so do a lot of other DAWS.
It would be nice to have a native 7.1 mixer in Reason but I don't feel like it's a major priority.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

submonsterz

14 Apr 2016

pushedbutton wrote:If you wanted to export more than two channels of audio from Reason you'd just have to do it in stages and encode them in something designed for mixing multi channel audio, Protools and Reaper does the trick, so do a lot of other DAWS.
It would be nice to have a native 7.1 mixer in Reason but I don't feel like it's a major priority.
yes I own reaper and know full well of its surround capabilities :thumbs_up:
good luck with that idea of bouncing out all them channels worth then having to reposition then re encode into a multi track wav :thumbs_up:

PSoames

14 Apr 2016

Ignore the value label, that was put on before it was discovered that these are in fact MAGIC beans.

They used to be sold at the RRP of 10p, but since the realization that they were exposed to full spectrum visible-radiation, they are now sold for 50 quid a tin.

Kiss the sun and taste the motherfucking rainbow!

Eagleizer

14 Apr 2016

I have it already. Yeay! I get the concept. It`s great, and the price is probably very
good for the right consumer. If I get in money trouble, this would be perfect for me.
I`ll just record 8 hours of bubbling goodness and sell it to the nearest spa`s or bordell`s.
Great!

There should be a SW4-C "Lite" for "normal" consumers tho...

Cheers :)

snowcattt

15 Apr 2016

I'm hoping this RE will be the turning point for some of my forthcoming projects: "Sounds From The Apartment Next Door," "Holiday Music From Those Other Places," "Tourette's, Parts 1 & 2," and the poignant "Beans And Liturgy."
Invent the life you want to live.

Ostermilk

15 Apr 2016

submonsterz wrote:
avasopht wrote:
Bounce!
obviously you do not understand multi channel ?
you cannot bounce multi channel from reason !!!
if you can bounce multi channel in reason you are like god and I want to know how you can do it as no one else can.
it cannot do it simple as that .......
it can only render mono or stereo bounces.

from ddrex answer

underlined and coloured the important part for you there :).
hope this helps you understand reason cannot render multi channel files :thumbs_up:
Yes but Reason will handle 32 stereo outs natively which is great if you have a means of dealing with all those channels outside the reason environment and this thing isn't about bouncing it's a CV routing switch box.

This reminds me of the common scenario of where someone develops something but fails to look around at how else it can be done because they've got too closed a view about what they are trying to pull off. That's the only kind way I can deduce that it ain't just a plain old fashioned scam.

See this chap for an example:

It's for those reasons that I'm Out!

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

15 Apr 2016

Ostermilk wrote:

It's for those reasons that I'm Out!
Ha! I remember that one.

Hey, he still has the website up.

http://www.flowsignals.com/

It's HIGHLY VISIBLE and fitted at the BACK!

;)

I recall at the time thinking "how does everyone know a down movement indicates flow direction towards you? Or is it away from? I've forgotten already"

Koshdukai

15 Apr 2016

ddrex wrote:The price shift is taking place to make it part of a more complex offer with custom refills for a larger public than Reason tweakers :)
I'm obviously not interested in this RE but I'm going to make a somewhat loaded question:

Are those Refills going to be released publicly for free?

I'll wait for the answer before posting what I wanted to say next :)

(or... maybe I should at least TRY the RE before making this type of "stupid" questions :lol: )

ddrex
Competition Winner

15 Apr 2016

The update already contains 2 complete R.O.M.O.S examples that are some of the set-ups I use daily for meditation and yoga and enjoy for their element of surprise in a given set of sounds.
These "generic" set-ups will be available to SW4-C users in a way or another when they are finished being tweaked.
On the other hand custom refills made for a private client will be unique for them and will probably not be distributed.

lowpryo

15 Apr 2016

ddrex wrote:The update already contains 2 complete R.O.M.O.S examples that are some of the set-ups I use daily for meditation and yoga and enjoy for their element of surprise in a given set of sounds.
These "generic" set-ups will be available to SW4-C users in a way or another when they are finished being tweaked.
On the other hand custom refills made for a private client will be unique for them and will probably not be distributed.
ah, so you're saying SW4-C itself will have built in audio to generate? that makes much more sense in regards to the pricing. thanks!

worldofwelling

19 Apr 2016

At first when I saw the price change I thought it was an error. But the higher price did accomplish that I looked more into the device to see what it was all about. The ideas are great. I could see myself using this in my productions. I did a big surround music project on a big music festival a few years ago. So this all sounds very interesting to me. But still the price is a bit high for me.

Definately blaming myself for not reading this post earlier. :oops:

ljekio

19 Apr 2016

I am glad that the propellerheads don't want to pick additional money from us for use Thor as a CV processor.

Otherwise Reason price possibly worth $ 3,000, huh.

• Information