Rob Papen's RG-RE Song Challenge | The Announcement

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Reasonistas
RE Developer

19 Feb 2016

Welcome to Reasonistas' and Rob Papen's RG-RE Song Challenge.

THE RULES
  • Judge's decision is final.
  • Only 3 winners and 6 prizes total with a €/$150 cash alternative to the 1st place winner.
  • Song challenge begins Friday, February 19th, 2016.
  • Song challenge ends Saturday, March 19, 2016 @ 11:59 pm EST.
  • All entries must be uploaded to the Rob Papen's RG-RE Song Challenge SoundCloud Group.
  • After the closing date, you are not allowed to change, alter or resubmit your entry. Any resubmissions or alterations will result in disqualification.
  • All entrants, when requested, must be prepared to provide evidence that the rules have been adhered to. This includes providing a copy of the Reason song file to verify that only the RG-RE was used for all guitar sounds.
What you may use in your song:
  • RG-RE for all lead guitar sounds.
  • All Reason devices (Native and Rack Extensions) for non-lead guitar sounds.
  • Recorded instruments excluding lead guitars.
  • Recorded vocals.
  • Vocal samples.
What you may not use in your song:
  • No lead guitar sounds that are not RG-RE.
  • No external plug-ins or hardware except for drums.
  • No programs outside of Reason for mastering.
  • No copyrighted material.
THE SUBMISSION
All participant songs must be uploaded to SoundCloud and submitted to the Rob Papen's RG-RE Song Challenge group:

There will be no submissions thread on the forum so please ensure you upload to SoundCloud and then add your tracks to the group page, ensuring you use your forum name so that we can easily identify you.

THE JUDGES
Rob Papen & Co.
Noel G. (NoelGMusic)

The judging will be based off the following criteria:
  • Prominent showcasing of RG-RE.
  • Arrangement and songwriting.
  • Originality and creativity.
  • Mixing and engineering.
THE PRIZES
  • 1st place: RG-RE with 2 other Rob Papen products of choice or RG-RE and €/$150 cash
  • 2nd place: RG-RE with 1 other Rob Papen product of choice
  • 3rd place: RG-RE
RG-RE download: https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/rgre-instrument/

Good luck to everyone!
Last edited by Reasonistas on 03 Apr 2016, edited 4 times in total.
ImageImageImage

deepndark

19 Feb 2016

Hi Noel! My download keeps failing a bit before it's all downloaded.

Edit: And now it says TRIED and can't download it at all.
Last edited by deepndark on 19 Feb 2016, edited 1 time in total.

4filegate

19 Feb 2016

Noel G. wrote: Public SoundCloud Likes
(Note: We will award another 1st place winner for the song with the highest number of SoundCloud likes.)
don't get me wrong! This intention make me very sad = buy SoundCloud "likes" / is the same bad idea as my knowledge of English :silent:

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

19 Feb 2016

4filegate wrote:
(Note: We will award another 1st place winner for the song with the highest number of SoundCloud likes.)
don't get me wrong! This intention make me very sad = buy SoundCloud "likes" / is the same bad idea as my knowledge of English :silent:

Yup. No need to have announced that prize at all; that kind of thing needs to be a surprise when the results are announced so the result is natural. Very naive. It's now not at all viable to award a winner there at all and needs to be scrapped.

Reasonistas
RE Developer

19 Feb 2016

JiggeryPokery wrote:
4filegate wrote:
Yup. No need to have announced that prize at all; that kind of thing needs to be a surprise when the results are announced so the result is natural. Very naive. It's now not at all viable to award a winner there at all and needs to be scrapped.
Thank you. I would have preferred a poll here for forum members to vote, but the poll only allows 10 choices. We're trying to address concerns from people who claim that only certain genres get picked by the judges every time. Any ideas how we can incorporate a public voting system without too much trouble?
ImageImageImage

Reasonistas
RE Developer

19 Feb 2016

deepndark wrote:Hi Noel! My download keeps failing a bit before it's all downloaded.

Sorry buddy, but this sounds like an issue you need to address directly with Ph.
ImageImageImage

deepndark

19 Feb 2016

Noel G. wrote:
deepndark wrote:Hi Noel! My download keeps failing a bit before it's all downloaded.

Sorry buddy, but this sounds like an issue you need to address directly with Ph.
Not anymore. I read this and got it working for me: https://www.propellerheads.se/support/u ... in-chrome/

That said, try out Chrome and it should work. :mrgreen:

Reasonistas
RE Developer

19 Feb 2016

deepndark wrote:
Noel G. wrote:

Not anymore. I read this and got it working for me: https://www.propellerheads.se/support/u ... in-chrome/

Glad you found the problem and thanks for sharing the solution for others.
ImageImageImage

deepndark

19 Feb 2016

Noel G. wrote:
deepndark wrote:
Noel G. wrote:

Glad you found the problem and thanks for sharing the solution for others.
Yup, sharing a solution can help the brothers/sisters out, if they have the same problem. Firefox seems to have lots of problems for some things that Chrome does not.

4filegate

19 Feb 2016

Noel G. wrote:
JiggeryPokery wrote:
4filegate wrote:
Thank you. I would have preferred a poll here for forum members to vote, but the poll only allows 10 choices. We're trying to address concerns from people who claim that only certain genres get picked by the judges every time. Any ideas how we can incorporate a public voting system without too much trouble?
less black&white-thinking - more shades of gray levels my arguments for an unbeatable simple solution http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php ... 82#p245982

raymondh

19 Feb 2016

4filegate wrote:
Noel G. wrote:
JiggeryPokery wrote:
4filegate wrote:
less black&white-thinking - more shades of gray levels my arguments for an unbeatable simple solution http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php ... 82#p245982
@4filegate,

Noel is being very gracious, but can I suggest we just let him get on with running this challenge the way he wants, and then you can decide if you want to participate or not.

You have many good ideas so can I suggest you run one of these challenges yourself, and you can make whatever rules you want.

4filegate

19 Feb 2016

raymondh wrote: @4filegate,
Noel is being very gracious, but can I suggest we just let him get on with running this challenge the way he wants, and then you can decide if you want to participate or not.

You have many good ideas so can I suggest you run one of these challenges yourself, and you can make whatever rules you want.
;) every kitchen has a person - not every person has a kitchen

raymondh

19 Feb 2016

4filegate wrote:

True! But if someone is cooking you a meal and you keep telling them how to cook it, then they'll kick you out of the kitchen :) :)

Emian

19 Feb 2016

i'd rather have a challenge with THESE rules, then no challenge at all, my friends :)

Thx Noel for the organisation, i'll trial the RE tomorrow & see what i come up with :)

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

4filegate

19 Feb 2016

raymondh wrote:
4filegate wrote:

True! But if someone is cooking you a meal and you keep telling them how to cook it, then they'll kick you out of the kitchen :) :)
:thumbs_up: True! a short story of the child this did not want to speak.
One day it said at the culinary table; the soup is too hot!
The parents are amazed. Why why you speak!
Child; till present everything was in order :silent:

4filegate

19 Feb 2016

Noel G. wrote: Any ideas how we can incorporate a public voting system without too much trouble?
a public voting system easypolls - you speak only dialect emotional, therefore I don't get any argument of you? Good luck!

:arrow: if it ain't broke don't fix it
JiggeryPokery wrote:
4filegate wrote:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

20 Feb 2016

The rules are fine. Let's just get on with it and make some music instead of spending all of our time discussing rules.
Glad to see a new Song Challenge is up. Thanks Noel.
Now my only problem is I have several songs I should finish before starting another one :) I try my best not to have unfinished songs/projects laying around. I think we all know it's easier to start a song than to go all the way and actually finish it.

4filegate

20 Feb 2016

TritoneAddiction wrote:The rules are fine. Let's just get on with it and make some music instead of spending all of our time discussing rules.
Glad to see a new Song Challenge is up. Thanks Noel.
Now my only problem is I have several songs I should finish before starting another one :) I try my best not to have unfinished songs/projects laying around. I think we all know it's easier to start a song than to go all the way and actually finish it.

;) a very intelligent person VIP doesn't have knowledge in any spider monkeys mania

raymondh

20 Feb 2016

Thanks Noel for running a new challenge! This one should again see some great new tracks!

cheers!

deepndark

20 Feb 2016

Hi, an update to my "Download Failed" thing, I didn't get it to work like I told before ... I thougt i did yesterday.
But now I found out why it failed and REALLY got it working for me: I shut down my Private Firewall and Avast Antivirus and it successfully installed it after that.

Grumbleweed
Competition Winner

22 Feb 2016

Yay, something that sparks an interest (in me) at last! Much thanks to Rob Papen and Noel for doing this.
Can't wait to get back home to download the RE after the annual "take the missus to London birthday break" (I took her up the Shard for the first time - that was an experience!).

Grum.

EricTheSalmon

22 Feb 2016

Wait a tick, does that include bass guitar?

Arrant
Competition Winner

22 Feb 2016

Thanks for hosting another song challenge, it's been a while!

I think having the public pick one winner is a great idea, however basing this on the number of soundloud likes is not as it gives a clearly unfair advantage to contestants with large soundcloud followings. If you have 100 followers you will never get as many likes as one with 10000 followers, no matter how good your entry is.

Reasonistas
RE Developer

22 Feb 2016

EricTheSalmon wrote:Wait a tick, does that include bass guitar?
RG-RE is not for bass guitars so you may use other bass guitar simulators and/or record a bass guitar.
ImageImageImage

Reasonistas
RE Developer

22 Feb 2016

Arrant wrote:Thanks for hosting another song challenge, it's been a while!

I think having the public pick one winner is a great idea, however basing this on the number of soundloud likes is not as it gives a clearly unfair advantage to contestants with large soundcloud followings. If you have 100 followers you will never get as many likes as one with 10000 followers, no matter how good your entry is.
This is a good point Arrant.

We will remove most Soundcloud likes from the judging and continue with the legacy judging rules.
ImageImageImage

• Information