No more song challenges?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

13 Feb 2016

When I joined this forum, there were song challenges all the time, Zero, Red70, Hydronexious.
I like the whole concept and I miss these song challenges. Is there a reason that hardly any developer sets them up anymore?

After entering some of these contests I've applied this "one synth only" concept to many new tracks, especially when I "try" or when I've just bought a new RE. It's just a really good way to learn about a RE and at the same time get a finished track out of it.

Emian

14 Feb 2016

when the new Rob Papen RE will hit the propshop , there'll likely be a contest ;)

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

14 Feb 2016

Well let's hope so :)

4filegate

14 Feb 2016

... don't waste your time with contest! They search song for their product and not a song can show the skill of product. :roll:

raymondh

14 Feb 2016

The song challenges are not normally run by the developers, they are run by fellow Reason users here who put the time and effort into running the challenge, engaging with the dev for sponsorship prizes, and judging the entries.

Noel has done most of these and kudos to him for all the effort he spent and success of the challenges.

Running the challenges take a lot of work, and sometimes it feels like a thankless task when there are some bad losers who vent their disdain for the judging process etc. But I think the challenges are great and for most people they are motivating in setting limits and a deadline that help focus in finishing a track.

To keep these going strong I think what is required is some other users who are keen to run some song challenges.

4filegate

14 Feb 2016

@ raymondh
I think that Noel does a good job. :thumbs_up:
*the judging process - I live in Switzerland direct democracy
verify; http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php ... de+contest
we've found more interesting stuff than contest world ~~ no time if feels like a popularity contest! ;)

4filegate

14 Feb 2016

:idea: "Judging is a lot easier than thinking along" - ...far away of contest and choose pre order COUPON or blackfriday!

raymondh

14 Feb 2016

4filegate wrote:@ raymondh
I think that Noel does a good job. :thumbs_up:
*the judging process - I live in Switzerland direct democracy
verify; http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php ... de+contest
we've found more interesting stuff than contest world ~~ no time if feels like a popularity contest! ;)
Interesting - thanks for the links.

I don't know what the best answer is, certainly you can please some of the people some of the time. Any system that is used will most certainly offend some of the participants. Or it will be so complicated to coordinate, that nobody will be bothered.
Music is art, and the selection will be subjective no matter what process is used, what the criteria is, and who is involved in the winner selection.

On a philosophical note - I applaud the people who enter these challenges over and over again and don't get selected as the winner. To me, that shows determination and courage to try and try again, and I think that's even more important than talent. These are the people that will learn, grow and produce music, and contribute a lot more to the music community than the virtuoso who spits the dummy if they don't get a standing ovation :)

4filegate

14 Feb 2016

@raymondh
false perspective or just swiss native speaker - thanks for your signal :cool:

precision➠rekkerd.org - One entry is allowed, contestants are required to vote for their top 5 within a week after the contest deadline - you cannot vote for your own entry (Vote is not Viewable during this time)

4filegate

14 Feb 2016

there is :crazy: video Bern - "federal city"

iramrezso

15 Feb 2016

I'd be more interested in song challenges that are not restricted to a single device :)

electrochoc (PRX-A)

15 Feb 2016

TritoneAddiction wrote:When I joined this forum, there were song challenges all the time, Zero, Red70, Hydronexious.
I like the whole concept and I miss these song challenges. Is there a reason that hardly any developer sets them up anymore?

After entering some of these contests I've applied this "one synth only" concept to many new tracks, especially when I "try" or when I've just bought a new RE. It's just a really good way to learn about a RE and at the same time get a finished track out of it.
The real reason is probably way more simple than what has been suggested in this thread: after Zero, RED70 and Hydronexius, there just hasn't been any new "big synth" release (except maybe 4MER and a few non-expensive IDTs). Since song challenges are part of a new synth's promotion, no new synth means no new song challenge...
This comment is provided courtesy of PRX-A!

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

15 Feb 2016

electrochoc (PRX-A) wrote: The real reason is probably way more simple than what has been suggested in this thread: after Zero, RED70 and Hydronexius, there just hasn't been any new "big synth" release (except maybe 4MER and a few non-expensive IDTs). Since song challenges are part of a new synth's promotion, no new synth means no new song challenge...
You might be right, but I would've entered song challenges with smaller synths like Megasaur and Iridium too, just for the fun of it.
It would still get people to check out their products and get people to talk about them.
And many developers could have more than one of their products as the prize (which most do anyway), so you wouldn't have to compete for just 9 bucks :)

Anyway maybe I'm just over enthustiastic about this. I understand it takes time and effort to set these challenges up and I'm certainly greatful for the people that make it happen, when it happens.

Reasonistas
RE Developer

15 Feb 2016

raymondh wrote:The song challenges are not normally run by the developers, they are run by fellow Reason users here who put the time and effort into running the challenge, engaging with the dev for sponsorship prizes, and judging the entries.

Noel has done most of these and kudos to him for all the effort he spent and success of the challenges.

Running the challenges take a lot of work, and sometimes it feels like a thankless task when there are some bad losers who vent their disdain for the judging process etc. But I think the challenges are great and for most people they are motivating in setting limits and a deadline that help focus in finishing a track.

To keep these going strong I think what is required is some other users who are keen to run some song challenges.
Thank you, Raymond. Anyone with enough desire can contact a Re developer and offer to co-host a song challenge. It's a great opportunity for those that don't agree with the current rules, process and judging to come up with an entirely new program.
ImageImageImage

Reasonistas
RE Developer

15 Feb 2016

electrochoc (PRX-A) wrote:
TritoneAddiction wrote:When I joined this forum, there were song challenges all the time, Zero, Red70, Hydronexious.

The real reason is probably way more simple than what has been suggested in this thread: after Zero, RED70 and Hydronexius, there just hasn't been any new "big synth" release (except maybe 4MER and a few non-expensive IDTs). Since song challenges are part of a new synth's promotion, no new synth means no new song challenge...
That's not the case in my experience. The fact is not every Re developer is receptive to these song challenges or they're too busy to bother with the process. I've learned to move on if a developer is non-responsive or difficult, although the majority are gracious and a pleasure to work with.
ImageImageImage

Reasonistas
RE Developer

15 Feb 2016

raymondh wrote: On a philosophical note - I applaud the people who enter these challenges over and over again and don't get selected as the winner. To me, that shows determination and courage to try and try again, and I think that's even more important than talent. These are the people that will learn, grow and produce music, and contribute a lot more to the music community than the virtuoso who spits the dummy if they don't get a standing ovation :)
:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
ImageImageImage

joeyluck

15 Feb 2016

I'd like to see some team challenges using Discover! Folks interested will form small teams and 'register' here at ReasonTalk.
What do you think?

Eagleizer

16 Feb 2016

I would love to see a challenge with JPS Harmonic Synthesizer. Not only because
the challenges are the only way I push myself to finish a song, but it`s interesting
to see what other people can do with the synth.

Cheers :)

4filegate

16 Feb 2016

it's 3. attempt - If you think having a William Tell syndrome

Most western countries have representative systems.Switzerland is a rare example of a country with instruments of direct democracy
(at the levels of the municipalities, cantons, and federal state). Citizens have more power than in a representative democracy.
At the federal level, citizens can propose changes to the constitution (federal popular initiative) or ask for a referendum to be held on any law voted by the parliament. Swiss citizens vote regularly on any kind of issue on every political level.

really believable and show any professionality with ambassadors is like a swiss knife; - sharp, everytime and everywhere

@Noel
RE developers make publications on their website or post in forum and not I send my "flying saucer" to him
Rules in a modern business world; *each workplace occupied with man's - not every man has a workplace

*AHHH was a BIG translation mistake Every job has a human - not every human has a job :)
Last edited by 4filegate on 18 Feb 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Reasonistas
RE Developer

16 Feb 2016

4filegate wrote: @Noel
RE developers make publications on their website or post in forum and not I send my "flying saucer" to him
Rules in a modern business world; each workplace occupied with man's - not every man has a workplace
I don't understand what you are trying to communicate.
ImageImageImage

4filegate

16 Feb 2016

Noel G. wrote:
Rules in a modern business world; each workplace occupied with man's - not every man has a workplace

that was the root :wink:
Noel G. wrote: Anyone with enough desire can contact a Re developer and offer to co-host a song challenge. It's a great opportunity for those that don't agree with the current rules, process and judging to come up with an entirely new program.

Reasonistas
RE Developer

16 Feb 2016

4filegate wrote:
Noel G. wrote:

Noel G. wrote: Anyone with enough desire can contact a Re developer and offer to co-host a song challenge. It's a great opportunity for those that don't agree with the current rules, process and judging to come up with an entirely new program.
I still don't understand :? :lol:
ImageImageImage

4filegate

16 Feb 2016

Noel G. wrote:
4filegate wrote:
Noel G. wrote:

I still don't understand :? :lol:
dont take my wrong - for you the :reason: musician is only a resource that provides you some data you can work with, that bothers me a bit

EDIT; :lightbulb: "don't get me wrong" - Ahhhhh - that's why I speak in riddles :) thanks a lot! Excuse for translation issue
Last edited by 4filegate on 18 Feb 2016, edited 1 time in total.

4filegate

16 Feb 2016

spoken Metamorphic - "only dead fish go with the flow"

Protection :idea: which would Noel, the developers, winners and participants only doing KARMA / the dialect emotional writers/losers lack energy and air for the critic

Just the response - that we are all bad losers. Is a lie!

See there in RobPapen QUAD Contest _thx Rob for updates &. others certainly the same happens

https://soundcloud.com/groups/rob-papen ... -challenge

if everything is done incorrectly includes a Wikipedia entry to falsify? Good Job!

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

16 Feb 2016

@4filegate
It's like you're talking in riddles. Perhaps it's just a translation issue, but I have no idea what you're talking about. Sorry.

• Information