Iridium Distortion Synth in the shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Skullture

12 Feb 2016

New device from Skrock music in the shop now! Comes in at 9EUR.

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... ion-synth/

IRIDIUM is a mono/poly distortion synth. It features two generators (OSCs) with 16 waveforms each, followed by two key-tracked EQ's and two wave-shapers.

-008'

12 Feb 2016

Hmm... it might be tough to pass up a $9 synth! :D
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

Rice

12 Feb 2016

Didn't expect much, but fairly easy to dial in some nasty grit (which I love). I don't know or understand all of the fancy scientific stuff like the rest of you who I'm sure will be weighing in, but heck, for nine buck$, it just might get added to my rack. I can't wait to hear what the serious geeks have to say about it. I'm not a sound designer (at all!!), I'm just a preset tweaker geeker...know nothing about it's alialising or not, just know it makes me feel fuzzy inside when using it.

Would love to have more presets though!

Rice

12 Feb 2016

-008' wrote:Hmm... it might be tough to pass up a $9 synth! :D
Dub, what's gud bruh? Don't see you around these parts too often.

Faastwalker

12 Feb 2016

Totally disappointing. And I haven't ever tried it. I'm sick to death of these IDK RE's. And it's no fault of the developer or the RE. The issue I have is the lack of CV i/o. As I understand it this is a limitation of the development tools as they don't allow for CV other than gate & cv. That's a big disappointment because this is a big part of what Reason is all about for me. It seems half baked not to have these bread & butter Reason features on Reason devices. The integration of RE's into the Reason rack is totally sublime. The integration of IDK RE's isn't!

dvdrtldg

12 Feb 2016

Faastwalker wrote:Totally disappointing. And I haven't ever tried it. I'm sick to death of these IDK RE's. And it's no fault of the developer or the RE. The issue I have is the lack of CV i/o. As I understand it this is a limitation of the development tools as they don't allow for CV other than gate & cv. That's a big disappointment because this is a big part of what Reason is all about for me. It seems half baked not to have these bread & butter Reason features on Reason devices. The integration of RE's into the Reason rack is totally sublime. The integration of IDK RE's isn't!
I get what you're saying, but for anyone who just wants to dial in some quick & dirty sounds, I think this is $9 well spent. It's Snakebite Lite. Which means fewer features and no direct CV modulation, but it's a much lighter CPU hit, and did I mention it's only $9

So some will find a use for it, and others won't. What I really don't get is the "sick to death" attitude. You're saying the mere existence of this thing in the Props shop is detracting from your experience of using Reason?

decibel

12 Feb 2016

no vid's or sound demos ? too bad, im not into trialing products, creates too much of a headache with the authorizer system

Loque

12 Feb 2016

decibel wrote:no vid's or sound demos ? too bad, im not into trialing products, creates too much of a headache with the authorizer system
:?: i dont get it...
Reason12, Win10

decibel

12 Feb 2016

Loque wrote:
decibel wrote:no vid's or sound demos ? too bad, im not into trialing products, creates too much of a headache with the authorizer system
:?: i dont get it...
everytime i have trialed a product or been on a beta test i end up having dramas with the authoriser, combined with the poor reason customer service its just not worth it.
i tend to buy RE'S i like based on good customer reviews, good vids , sound demos etc, rather then trial products and get caught up in authorizer headaches when all i want to do is just turn on reason and be creative on the rare moments when i actually have time to do so.

so even though its only $9 it probably doesnt offer much beyond the extensions i already have ? i could be wrong though ? and that why a good video demo or sound demonstration might get me too buy anyway,, if people want to sell a product in a competitive field they really need to make an effort to get their customers attention yeah.

hopefully they will be providing some more info soon, i'll keep an eye on this etc ;)

Loque

13 Feb 2016

Skrock is a very enthusiastic dev. The low prices are good for people that cannot pay 130€ for a new synth. Maybe its time for him to make the next step into real development of effekts and synths.
Reason12, Win10

dvdrtldg

13 Feb 2016

I really like his Orbis synth as well

snowcattt

13 Feb 2016

Reason truly has something for everyone, doesn't it?
The only comment I feel qualified to add here is that I remember how excited I was to buy my first keyboard, because it was dirt cheap (a Korg PolyEnsemble S string machine). It wasn't a B3 or a Prophet 5, but I had keys, dammit.
I scrape by financially these days, and my only real vice/money suck is Rack Extensions. I'm a Digital Hoarder and I want everything Reason has. I bought this particular synth because it was cheap, and I typically compose based on picking random Rack Extensions and random presets. So now I have another synth that I'll insert randomly some day.

Just remember, there is some kid out there - or some broke adult - who is going to wake up this morning excited, because he can afford a new Reason synth, dammit! For me, (at 172 rack extensions), the excitement never seems to fade....

Now...to find time. If a developer could get busy with that Time Machine, that would be nice...
Invent the life you want to live.

DLDTech

13 Feb 2016

I approve of the Snakebite Lite label - some really nice gritty sounds there, not quite as in-your-face as snakebite, but it's a bargain at that price. Although maybe needs a bit more green ;)

However, I noticed that mod wheel doesn't seem to do anything - would have been nice if that opened the filter or something. Aftertouch isn't supported either, but not sure if that's an IDK thing.
Megasaur Supersaw synth now released Follow @DLDTechnology for new stuff!

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

13 Feb 2016

decibel wrote:no vid's or sound demos ?

Frankly, it speaks volume about the device that its own creator hasn't used it.

Tincture

13 Feb 2016

JiggeryPokery wrote:

A bit harsh.

I quite like it for the price of a big mac meal. Not too shabby. 9

Rice

13 Feb 2016

Tincture wrote:I quite like it for the price of a big mac meal. Not too shabby.

Completely concur

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

13 Feb 2016

I'm making an all Iridium Distortion Synth track right now.
I'll post it here when it's ready, since there aren't any demos/videos of this synth yet.

Yes these smaller synths have some limitations, but that's part of the fun. I view it as a challenge to see how much I can get out of smaller synths like this.

geronimo

13 Feb 2016

Yes; for the fun with Iridium _ :D
Attachments
Modulations (MWL).cmb.zip
(43.85 KiB) Downloaded 73 times

eusti

13 Feb 2016

JiggeryPokery wrote:

I wouldn't quite go that far. I think it is just a matter of trying to coordinate all the pieces for launch time...
Some people seem to mainly try to get the product ready as it's the main thing...
But the impact of course is much less when there are no sound examples / video introductions ready at the same time...
Only the developers can really know how this influences the sales... Over here on ReasonTalk, people seem to be quite harsh about that kind of thing...

D.

pjeudy

13 Feb 2016

eusti wrote: Only the developers can really know how this influences the sales..
Isn't jiggery a developer?
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

joeyluck

13 Feb 2016

Nice looking GUI. Fun sounds. Hard to beat price.
Will be cool when REs made with the IDT can have more CV capabilities, etc. But for the time being, I can use CV within a Combinator if need be.

Faastwalker

13 Feb 2016

dvdrtldg wrote:
Faastwalker wrote:Totally disappointing. And I haven't ever tried it. I'm sick to death of these IDK RE's. And it's no fault of the developer or the RE. The issue I have is the lack of CV i/o. As I understand it this is a limitation of the development tools as they don't allow for CV other than gate & cv. That's a big disappointment because this is a big part of what Reason is all about for me. It seems half baked not to have these bread & butter Reason features on Reason devices. The integration of RE's into the Reason rack is totally sublime. The integration of IDK RE's isn't!
I get what you're saying, but for anyone who just wants to dial in some quick & dirty sounds, I think this is $9 well spent. It's Snakebite Lite. Which means fewer features and no direct CV modulation, but it's a much lighter CPU hit, and did I mention it's only $9

So some will find a use for it, and others won't. What I really don't get is the "sick to death" attitude. You're saying the mere existence of this thing in the Props shop is detracting from your experience of using Reason?
You can't argue with the price. And it looks like a decent device to me (still not tried it). But this wasn't my point. The lack of i/o appears that be a limitation of the IDK and that's a problem. Developers have made some great IDK instruments (Jiggery Pokery being one of the most prolific with some fantastic RE's). But they could be a lot more interesting with the full Reason feature set. The novel virtual cable routing in Reason is one of the things that has always set it apart and made it what it is. It's a fundamental element of the Reason experience. To have a development kit that doesn't allow developers to utilise this functionality in RE's feels somewhat half arsed to me.

Hopefully the development tools will eventually evolve to allow developers to add this most fundamental of Readon features. But until that time these things certainly won't detract from my experience of using Reason (whatever gave you that idea?!). Been using since version 1 and not about to change anytime soon. Just probably won't be using too many IDK RE's until they catch up with Reason 1 (come on Propellerhead. No more handicapped RE's. Sort out that development kit for please, please, please).

eusti

13 Feb 2016

pjeudy wrote:
eusti wrote: Only the developers can really know how this influences the sales..
Isn't jiggery a developer?
Yes. I was trying to say that the developers know best what works and how much videos / sound examples help...
But of course it's tough to precisely pinpoint even for them as they might not want to risk releasing two similar products one with audio / video examples and one without just to test this theory... :puf_bigsmile:

D.

joeyluck

13 Feb 2016

Faastwalker wrote:
dvdrtldg wrote:

You can't argue with the price. And it looks like a decent device to me (still not tried it). But this wasn't my point. The lack of i/o appears that be a limitation of the IDK and that's a problem. Developers have made some great IDK instruments (Jiggery Pokery being one of the most prolific with some fantastic RE's). But they could be a lot more interesting with the full Reason feature set. The novel virtual cable routing in Reason is one of the things that has always set it apart and made it what it is. It's a fundamental element of the Reason experience. To have a development kit that doesn't allow developers to utilise this functionality in RE's feels somewhat half arsed to me.

Hopefully the development tools will eventually evolve to allow developers to add this most fundamental of Readon features. But until that time these things certainly won't detract from my experience of using Reason (whatever gave you that idea?!). Been using since version 1 and not about to change anytime soon. Just probably won't be using too many IDK RE's until they catch up with Reason 1 (come on Propellerhead. No more handicapped RE's. Sort out that development kit for please, please, please).
Hehe this made me giggle. It's IDT as in Instrument Development Toolkit. Rather than IDK as in 'I don't know.'
But there are many things made with the IDK because I don't know how many plugins work haha

• Information