Reason fails loading Rack Extensions

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
PadShifta

08 Feb 2016

Hi all!

I´m using my laptop right now, which runs Win7. When I started Reason with my online-password, a little box popped up that said:
"failed reading Rack Extension data in (name of RE) - This RE installation is broken and will not be available in this session." :shock:

When I hit "OK", it brought up the same message for all of the other Rack Extensions aswell.
I then made sure that I was running the latest version of the authoriser and Reason, which was confirmed .

Has anybody experienced this before? What went wrong? How can I fix this?

Andy
Attachments
Up to date.jpg
Up to date.jpg (22.51 KiB) Viewed 8148 times
failed loading res.jpg
failed loading res.jpg (71.44 KiB) Viewed 8148 times

WongoTheSane

08 Feb 2016

I don't know what the problem is, but have you tried going to https://www.propellerheads.se/user/prod ... extensions and clicking on "Sync All"? Also, maybe try clicking in "Manage Rack Extension License", then Authorize your laptop, Sync All, then deauthorize it right away to restore online validation (this is pretty much cargo cult debugging, but it might update the license files...). FWIW, I just logged in with online authorization, so the problem probably doesn't come from a server black-out.

tiker01

08 Feb 2016

Start the Authorizer and delete the broken are then go to your PH account or Shop and download it.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

PadShifta

08 Feb 2016

@ Tiker01: Delete all of the broken ones manually? Really? Darn, that´ll keep me busy a while. Ok, I´ll try that. ;-)
@ Wongo TheSane: Sync all? Ok, I´ll try that aswell.

Thanks guys, I´ll let you know if it helped.

Cheers, Andy

Bonkhead

08 Feb 2016

Go to your RE folder, just select all and delete.

Should be somewhere like on windows:

C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Propellerhead Software\RackExtensions

PadShifta

08 Feb 2016

Okay....Executed all of your ideas but nothing worked. My last try will be deinstalling and reinstalling Reason. Fhat the wuck!!??

WongoTheSane

08 Feb 2016

Reason is reporting "Failed reading file...", is it possible that something changed on your computer that could cause the files to be inaccessible to Reason, like being logged in Windows with a different account, or having changed the permissions on some folders, or a recent installation of an anti-virus? Also, I know it sounds dumb, but have you tried simply turning the computer off and on?

MassiveSoundStudios

08 Feb 2016

I'm not sure if this will solve your issue or not, but I had a similar issue after deleting some cache files. Now, I'm using a Mac, but the following might work for you too.

Please use this method at your own risk!

In your rack extension folder on your system, you should see 2 .cache files that end in a license code (alpha numeric). Try temporarily moving these 2 files to your desktop (just incase this doesn't work and you need to move them back).

If you have deleted your REs from your RE folder, redownload them. If you still have all your REs in your RE folder, then try skiping the redownload step and then go to your RE account on the Props site, and click on 'Manage License' at the top right of your RE list. This should initiate the launch of the authorizer app and start to write your master license to either your CPU/usb key/balance. Once the license writing had been complete (100% at the bottom of the auth app), you can then check your RE folder and 2 new .cache files should have been created. Hopefully these 2 new .cache files will fix the broken RE issues.

If this works, you can then temporarily move the old .cache files to your trash. Launch Reason again. Does all still work as expected? If yes, then you can empty your trash.

From my experience, the issue was not with the REs, it was with the .cache license files.

I really hope this helps.
Last edited by MassiveSoundStudios on 13 Feb 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Jan 2004

PadShifta

12 Feb 2016

@ Wongo TheSane: Indeed - I did use CCleaner just before it failed loading the REs... damn! That´s probably why...
What if I just restore the PC to an earlier point in time?? Would that help?

WongoTheSane

12 Feb 2016

I don't know CCleaner well enough to know precisely what it does, but if I remember correctly, it "cleans" whatever entry it doesn't know in the registry, so that could very well be the culprit. I don't know how you feel about restoring to an earlier point: to me, this is the absolute last resort, so I would probably try uninstalling/reinstalling Reason first. But if there aren't too many progs on your laptop, you might try and give it a go, as it does restore the registry as well. Keep us informed, it's a very interesting mystery!

PadShifta

12 Feb 2016

You betcha, I will !! I´m just glad I can work on my other Workstation meanwhile ;-)

PadShifta

13 Feb 2016

Ok guys - I´m back in the game ! THANKS!!!

Thanks to all of you for your help! I literally went through each and every of your solutions. One of them helped...
Congratulations Massive Sound Studios - your solution was the correct one :-)

Everybody remember: Do not carelessly use Programs like CC-Cleaner - it just might erase or overwrite the two cache-files located in your Rack Extensions folder! So be careful - I´ve had a terrible time trying to find out what went wrong and it took quite some time to figure it all out. I´ve done most everything - even the unthinkable (deinstalled Reason) just to be sure it wasn´t Reason causing the problem.

If it does happen to you one day, just go to your RE Folder, extract the two cache-files and go to your Props-accountpage. There, click on the "manage licenses" button and authorize > deauthorize >> re-authorize --or-- deauthorise > re-authorize your computer for offline use. This apparently rewrites brandnew cache-files into the RE-folder and all that is left for you to do now, is to open Reason again. Le voilá <<<peace is restored to the galaxy ;-)

Thanks again

Andy
Last edited by PadShifta on 14 Feb 2016, edited 1 time in total.

MassiveSoundStudios

14 Feb 2016

PadShifta wrote:Ok guys - I´m back in the game ! THANKS!!!

Thanks to all of you for your help! I literelly went through each and every of your solutions. One of them helped...
Congratulations Massive Sound Studios - your solution was the correct one :-)

Everybody remember: Do not carelessly use Programs like CC-Cleaner - it just might erase or overwrite the two cache-files located in your Rack Extensions folder! So be careful - I´ve had a terrible time trying to find out what went wrong and it took quite some time to figure it all out. I´ve done most everything - even the unthinkable (deinstalled Reason) just to be sure it wasn´t Reason causing the problem.

If it does happen to you one day, just go to your RE Folder, extract the two cache-files and go to your Props-accountpage. There, click on the "manage licenses" button and authorize > deauthorize >> re-authorize --or-- deauthorise > re-authorize your computer for offline use. This apparently rewrites brandnew cache-files into the RE-folder and all that is left for you to do now, is to open Reason again. Le voilá <<<peace is restored to the galaxy ;-)

Thanks again

Andy
Hi Andy,

Glad you got this sorted out. I had a feeling your disk cleaning attempt corrupted these cache files. I just went through this a couple weeks ago.

Jan 2004

chimp_spanner

14 Feb 2016

Yeah CCleaner is a real nightmare sometimes. From what I've read modern OS's don't really require registry cleaning, and if you need to free up space is highly recommend TreeSize. Gives you a visual representation of what's taking up the most room. Glad you got it sorted!!

PadShifta

03 Mar 2016

@ chimp_spanner: Indeed - I got TreeSize running on all my machines now and it really is a great tool . Thanks for bringing it up. Sure helps! :thumbs_up:

Cheers, Andy

Chill Fletcher

20 Apr 2016

im having the same issue...could anyone help me out?...im not able to find my RE folder at all...please advise

Bloma

21 Apr 2016

Chill Fletcher wrote:im having the same issue...could anyone help me out?...im not able to find my RE folder at all...please advise
Me too...

Bloma

21 Apr 2016

Chill Fletcher wrote:im having the same issue...could anyone help me out?...im not able to find my RE folder at all...please advise
You need to view hidden files and folders.

The following method makes the user Library folder permanently visible.
Note: Adobe recommends that only advanced users use this method.

Launch Terminal from Mac HD > Applications > Utilities.

From within Terminal, type the following command and press Return:
chflags nohidden ~/Library

Enter the system administrator password, if prompted, and press Return.

Note:

The System administrator password is not visible as you type it.

Close Terminal for this change to take effect.

Chill Fletcher

21 Apr 2016

:reason:

sonicbyte

29 Aug 2016

Thanks you save me @MassiveSoundStudiosI had a full extension corruption and this fix it !

MatthiasSchmidt

25 Mar 2021

hello Reason Users worldwide ! I am having a similar issue here in Berlin... after installing a rack extension from the Reason webstore NONE of my Rack Extensions works. When starting Reason pop up menues appear for each and every Rack Extension I ever installed saying the installation is broken and the Rack Extension cannot be used... now I am back to the in-stock FX and Instruments that come with Reason. any ideas? best wishes! Matt ...late adopter and legacy user Reason 6.5.3 here together with Pro Tools 10 on a legacy mac pro 2,1 with legacy mac os 10.6.8 snow leopard from the last century which was pretty stable until I started messing around with REASON...

• Information