4MER WaveShaper Synth is in the Shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
pjeudy

27 Jan 2016

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... per-synth/

PRODUCT DETAILS

4MER’s sound engine starts with four independent oscillators. Each oscillator begins as one of 25 single-cycle waveforms. Then, using eight waveshaping operators, those waveforms can be mangled, warped, shifted, saturated, bit crushed, phased, and more. Each oscillator can be independently routed through 4MER’s five 16-stage envelopes, two multi-mode filters, and unison effect. Then use the on-board reverb, delay, and tone stack to mold the sound.

Want something a little less static? Use 4MER’s 10-channel modulation matrix to hook up 4MER’s four LFOs, five envelopes, and a host of other modulation sources to modulate nearly every single parameter in 4MER. Need more modulation sources and routings? 4MER has six generic CV in connections, as well as 30 more dedicated CV in connections.

Waveshapers:

Pulse Width
Spread
Harmonics
Warp
Sync
Saturation
Bit Crush
Phase
Filter Modes:

LP 6 (Low Pass with 6db falloff)
LP 12 (Low Pass with 12db falloff)
LP 24 (Low Pass with 24db falloff)
HP 12 (High Pass with 12db falloff)
HP 24 (High Pass 24db falloff)
Band Pass
Notch (or Band Reject)
On Board Effects:

Unison
Reverb
Digital Delay
Four-Point Tone Stack

$39
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

pjeudy

27 Jan 2016

Excellent Job Ochen K. This synth is capable of creating Modern mangled bass leads for Dub step,Electro ...heck , any Genre that requires it!
It's has depth to it and at the same time...it's easy to start programming!
The Visual feedback is very welcomed..something Reason REs doesn't do enough of ! but it's a very modern way of working. Also, every important parameters can be Automated.

This is a must buy if you like to destroy Sine waves to create unique and dangerous sounds! Bravo. This and Glitch are now my favorite devices from you :thumbs_up:
Last edited by pjeudy on 27 Jan 2016, edited 1 time in total.
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST

Bonkhead

27 Jan 2016

pjeudy wrote:This and Glitch are now my favorite devices from you :thumbs_up:
Agreed ! :thumbs_up:

EnochLight

27 Jan 2016

Congrats to Ochen K - that really is a fantastic GUI. The fact that the oscillators, LFO's, filters, and envelopes are all custom display widgets that are interactive is simply fantastic. Well done!!!

And they look smashing (especially with that fancy cathode ray tube-like ghosting fade effect - I wonder who's idea that was?)! ;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

chimp_spanner

27 Jan 2016

I had a tantalisingly short go on this before I left today and I gotta say it's great. Well done Ochen. I own everything you've put out (except for repeater and microtune) and I'll be getting this next month for sure. Reminds me very much of Z3TA+2 but way easier to use.

Also, I didn't have time to try properly but is the unison random phase? It seemed to be but I literally had a minute to fiddle!

Shokstar

27 Jan 2016

How is the dsp usage for this Synth? I haven't time to trial it yet, it would be nice to read some experience her about 4mer :)

EnochLight

27 Jan 2016

Shokstar wrote:How is the dsp usage for this Synth? I haven't time to trial it yet, it would be nice to read some experience her about 4mer :)
Your results are going to vary depending on your computer's hardware, as well as what you set the oversampling at on the rear. ;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Andy Hyde

27 Jan 2016

Nice work, will certainly be picking this up :)

One question for Ochen K, it seems the you can't drop the volume of Osc 2 to zero but can for all the rest of the Oscillators. Move the slider/ knob right down but it still plays.

Am I missing something here?

Andy

eusti

27 Jan 2016

Andy Hyde wrote:Nice work, will certainly be picking this up :)

One question for Ochen K, it seems the you can't drop the volume of Osc 2 to zero but can for all the rest of the Oscillators. Move the slider/ knob right down but it still plays.

Am I missing something here?

Andy
Seems strange, I can drop Osc 2's volume down here.

D.

Andy Hyde

27 Jan 2016

Hmm, will give it another go. Not sure if it is because I am still on 7.1 maybe? I found an issue with Vecto a while back that Rob/ Jon at Rob Papen could not replicate.... After a few test files it just seemed to be down to my configuration. If everyone else is OK,then no issue I guess!

eusti

27 Jan 2016

Andy Hyde wrote:Hmm, will give it another go. Not sure if it is because I am still on 7.1 maybe? I found an issue with Vecto a while back that Rob/ Jon at Rob Papen could not replicate.... After a few test files it just seemed to be down to my configuration. If everyone else is OK,then no issue I guess!
Could you post your patch?
Or just contact Ochen via his website http://res.ochenk.com/contact-ochen-k/ as he doesn't spend much time here...

D.

Andy Hyde

27 Jan 2016

OK, will do. For me it applies to every single patch, no need to post one, Including Init Patch

eusti

27 Jan 2016

Andy Hyde wrote:OK, will do. For me it applies to every single patch, no need to post one, Including Init Patch
Maybe someone else can test this as I'm still on the last beta version (that is supposed to be identical in my understanding).

D.

Andy Hyde

27 Jan 2016

Thanks for your advice, just contacted Ochen so maybe he can answer this, If this is related to my set up, I think the answer may be to contact Propellerhead themselves.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

27 Jan 2016

Shokstar wrote:How is the dsp usage for this Synth? I haven't time to trial it yet, it would be nice to read some experience her about 4mer :)
It's pretty good, but then it's only got a 4-note polyphony, which makes even a 3 note chord a bit choppy, as there aren't enough voices to support any release.

Skullture

27 Jan 2016

Very nice synth but it heavy on CPU. Tried few patchs and its already putting my i5 to a serious test.
I really need a new system lol.

Majestik Monkey

27 Jan 2016

I have down loaded & Reinstalled it 3 times , but the Authorizer does not provide a Try key to my dongle ? ughhhhh

rcbuse
RE Developer

27 Jan 2016

Majestik Monkey wrote:I have down loaded & Reinstalled it 3 times , but the Authorizer does not provide a Try key to my dongle ? ughhhhh
You can't put a try license on a dongle or tie it to a computer. Try licenses are online only.

MDTerps2015

27 Jan 2016

Skullture wrote:Very nice synth but it heavy on CPU. Tried few patchs and its already putting my i5 to a serious test.
I really need a new system lol.
Render my man. I figured out doing it track by track saves a lot of cpu. it really works. I have enough synths though and im done buying synths for now. Disperser on the other hand is right up my alley.
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

27 Jan 2016

rcbuse wrote:
Majestik Monkey wrote:I have down loaded & Reinstalled it 3 times , but the Authorizer does not provide a Try key to my dongle ? ughhhhh
You can't put a try license on a dongle or tie it to a computer. Try licenses are online only.
Yes but no but. The shop (or something server-y) has been screwy this afternoon. It's downloading trial/beta stuff, but (for me, anyway) it's not been syncing the trial license, so Reason isn't seeing it. I've not even been getting a login screen.

ochenk

27 Jan 2016

Andy Hyde wrote:One question for Ochen K, it seems the you can't drop the volume of Osc 2 to zero but can for all the rest of the Oscillators. Move the slider/ knob right down but it still plays.
Hmm.. I can't replicate that. I did try it in version 7.1 for Windows, as well as 8. What OS are you on?

So to be clear, if you start a new blank song, load 4MER into the rack, reset 4MER, turn down the volume of OSC 1 to zero, and then play a note, you hear OSC 2 playing? I don't.

Can anyone else replicate this with the instructions above?

Thanks!

pjeudy

27 Jan 2016

Had a go at this synth early in the morning! I really like it and will buy it!

I had two strange things happened during my play through
1. Once, When I hit reset to initialize , Osc 1 refured reset back to a Sine wave, but once I created a new instance it reset properly after using it.
2. I had a situation where Osc 2 was panned slightly right even when the indicator knob showed it was panned center.

Also I really plan to used this in mono re-trigger mode mostly.

1. Suggestion. Can you add a "no envelope" selection option, on each of the Oscillators? Only because at default it's always set on one if the 4 env. Thus it's always active, what if I want to use all 4 envelopes but not have ...say Osc 3 be effected at all by any of the envelopes.
Unless there's away that I didn't see in my quick pkay with it. Thanks.

Worth the price regardless!!

ochenk

27 Jan 2016

pjeudy wrote:1. Once, When I hit reset to initialize , Osc 1 refured reset back to a Sine wave, but once I created a new instance it reset properly after using it.
One of my very few complaints about the SDK is that REs aren't informed when the user resets the device, and what is communicated to the device when it's reset can be a little flaky. In very specific cases, when you reset 4MER, Reason doesn't tell 4MER to refresh the displays. It doesn't affect the audio, and any change to a knob or button lets 4EMR tell itself to refresh.
pjeudy wrote:2. I had a situation where Osc 2 was panned slightly right even when the indicator knob showed it was panned center.
Are you able to replicate this? If so, please email me (reinfo@ochenk.com) with the instructions on how to do so.
pjeudy wrote:1. Suggestion. Can you add a "no envelope" selection option, on each of the Oscillators? Only because at default it's always set on one if the 4 env. Thus it's always active, what if I want to use all 4 envelopes but not have ...say Osc 3 be effected at all by any of the envelopes.
Unless there's away that I didn't see in my quick pkay with it. Thanks.
How would this work? If there's no envelope, is the oscillator constantly on or off? Assuming you want it on, that means that the only way to stop a note is to manually turn the volume down. And it doesn't respond to key presses? Is that what you want, or am I not understanding?

Thanks!

Majestik Monkey

27 Jan 2016

JiggeryPokery wrote:
rcbuse wrote:
Yes but no but. The shop (or something server-y) has been screwy this afternoon. It's downloading trial/beta stuff, but (for me, anyway) it's not been syncing the trial license, so Reason isn't seeing it. I've not even been getting a login screen.
Cheer's Jig ! i sorted it with the sync option , :thumbs_up:

Loque

27 Jan 2016

Just installed, tried, bug...
1. Select Olimpic
2. Play note and while it's playing
3. Select RainSur
4. No sound output. After switching around the sound comes back. Sounds like abug in the delay buffer when triggered and patch-switching.
I'll keep on trying, cause i think Ochen will fix the bugs asap.

And on synced LFOs i would not expect xy%, but 1/16 notes or something like that.

But seriously...god damn s***! This produces some great stuff with just low LFO on PW. Reminds me lot to the freedom of Movement but with more shapers built in.
Last edited by Loque on 27 Jan 2016, edited 1 time in total.
Reason12, Win10

• Information