PSQ-1684 - In the Shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
rcbuse
RE Developer

23 Jan 2016

PSQ-1684 is a combination of 16 pulse generators mapped to a grid, 8 analog style sequencers, and 4 CV note quantizers. Inspired by popular eurorack modules.

PSQ-1684 Shop Link

Devices that inspired PSQ:

Tiptop Trigger Riot
Mutable Grids
Turing Machine
Tiptop Z8000
Klee sequencer
Reaktor Blocks (DIGILOG, WEST COAST XYS)

Operation Manual

reasonexperts fantastic videos of the 1.0 device

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Last edited by rcbuse on 04 Aug 2016, edited 3 times in total.

normen

23 Jan 2016

Wow, looks like the perfect way to make your synths babble ^^

eusti

23 Jan 2016

Looks interesting! But I have no clue what it would do! ;)

D.

Loque

24 Jan 2016

Looks interesting. But i miss a groove/shuffle and sync/free.
Reason12, Win10

Tumble

24 Jan 2016

Yesss! This is exactly what Reason needs. Image

Olivier

24 Jan 2016

Loque wrote:Looks interesting. But i miss a groove/shuffle and sync/free.
i see a sync: transport.. guess it can also be set to free..
The shuffle/groove i don't see either...
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

24 Jan 2016

rcbuse wrote:PSQ-1684 is a combination of 16 pulse generators mapped to a grid, 8 analog style sequencers, and 4 CV note quantizers. Inspired by popular eurorack modules.

Coming Soon!

Looks interesting. I think you might benefit from an extra U there, rc.

Besides, someone will ask for a patchbrowser. Might as well pre-empt it ;)

Tincture

24 Jan 2016

To the Dev: You know that picture of why you made this... what it's capable of, what it exceeds from before, what it will open up for users...

Please let us know this. I'm a hairs breadth away from buying all of your stuff but unless you shout out how good they are and what they can achieve (examples rules) I'll always be a bit suspect. Please convince me, I'm sure your tools will open up new worlds for me :)

Emian

24 Jan 2016

Tincture wrote:To the Dev: You know that picture of why you made this... what it's capable of, what it exceeds from before, what it will open up for users...

Please let us know this. I'm a hairs breadth away from buying all of your stuff but unless you shout out how good they are and what they can achieve (examples rules) I'll always be a bit suspect. Please convince me, I'm sure your tools will open up new worlds for me :)
Korde & ProPulsion are quality RE's for me; very inspiring stuff. lookin' forward to this new one to try....

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

dvdrtldg

24 Jan 2016

Excellent, you can never have too many Electric Panda REs

That said, I have no idea wtf this thing is supposed to do

pjeudy

24 Jan 2016

dvdrtldg wrote:Excellent, you can never have too many Electric Panda REs

That said, I have no idea wtf this thing is supposed to do
Maybe rcbuse can point to a hardware similar to his concept.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

rcbuse
RE Developer

24 Jan 2016

I should elaborate on what this device does.

The easiest way to think of it is 3 separate devices that share a rack.

The first device, PLS, 16 pulse/trigger/gate generators. Each of the 16 generators has 4 sources of pulses: a clock divider, a euclidian pulse source, a morphable/fadable X/Y percussion pattern source, and an external CV input. All 4 sources can run at the same time. Each generator is assigned a spot on a 4x4 grid. The pattern parameter allows a generator to fire its neighbors along with itself.

All these overlapping pulse sources combined can create some really interesting and unique rhythmic patterns, especially when running at different speeds and clock divisions.

The last device, QTZ, is 4 CV quantizers that take a CV signal and snaps it to note values you select. The range and offset can be used to modify any signal into the note ranges you want. The result quantized note stream can then be transposed by semitones. Running modulation into the range and offset can create some amazing melodies.

The middle device, SEQ, is 8 analog style sequencers. The playhead runs form the start position to the end position via the rows (w1,w2,w3...w8,x1,x2....) or columns (w1,x1,y1,z1,w2,x2....). The playhead moves according to the movement parameter (forward,backward,pendulum,random walk) each time the source generator changes. When the sequencers playhead is over a knob, that knobs CV value is output. The output can optionally be run though QTZ. There are also inputs on the back for each sequencer to override the knob value, which causes the sequencer to act as a sample and hold for any CV source.

Will have some videos up soon.

Tincture

25 Jan 2016

It sounds like a dream come true for those into generated music...

michal22

25 Jan 2016

rcbuse wrote:I should elaborate on what this device does.

The easiest way to think of it is 3 separate devices that share a rack.

The first device, PLS, 16 pulse/trigger/gate generators. Each of the 16 generators has 4 sources of pulses: a clock divider, a euclidian pulse source, a morphable/fadable X/Y percussion pattern source, and an external CV input. All 4 sources can run at the same time. Each generator is assigned a spot on a 4x4 grid. The pattern parameter allows a generator to fire its neighbors along with itself.

All these overlapping pulse sources combined can create some really interesting and unique rhythmic patterns, especially when running at different speeds and clock divisions.

The last device, QTZ, is 4 CV quantizers that take a CV signal and snaps it to note values you select. The range and offset can be used to modify any signal into the note ranges you want. The result quantized note stream can then be transposed by semitones. Running modulation into the range and offset can create some amazing melodies.

The middle device, SEQ, is 8 analog style sequencers. The playhead runs form the start position to the end position via the rows (w1,w2,w3...w8,x1,x2....) or columns (w1,x1,y1,z1,w2,x2....). The playhead moves according to the movement parameter (forward,backward,pendulum,random walk) each time the source generator changes. When the sequencers playhead is over a knob, that knobs CV value is output. The output can optionally be run though QTZ. There are also inputs on the back for each sequencer to override the knob value, which causes the sequencer to act as a sample and hold for any CV source.

Will have some videos up soon.
That sounds very interesting. I'm looking forward. Especially for video presentations. :)
Ableton Live Suite 10 / Reason 10 / Windows 10 / Fingers - also 10 ;)

electrofux

25 Jan 2016

Omg, love it. Everything remotable? please my launchpad pro cries for this.

rcbuse
RE Developer

25 Jan 2016

electrofux wrote:Omg, love it. Everything remotable? please my launchpad pro cries for this.
Every single thing is remotable.
Screen Shot 2016-01-25 at 12.20.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-01-25 at 12.20.06 PM.png (111.09 KiB) Viewed 4248 times
Last edited by rcbuse on 25 Jan 2016, edited 1 time in total.

MannequinRaces

25 Jan 2016

Bring on the videos I want to see this in action!

Emian

25 Jan 2016

this sounds indeed promising... gonne be great to create some weird techno synth-lines i asume ...

Bring on the vids :D

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

chimp_spanner

25 Jan 2016

Oooh so you could build groovebox style combinators with this? As others have said, please find room for a shuffle control (shuffle is love, shuffle is life). And you can have my pennies now!

willowman

25 Jan 2016

WANT!!.....and 'copy pattern to track for propulsion' :puf_bigsmile:
Jez: "How long can it take to come up with 3 minutes of music?" Hans: "6 minutes max"
Jez: "That's being generous. That's 2 minutes per minute"

electrofux

26 Jan 2016

Kindof reminds me on Tip Top Audios Trigger Riot.

Concerning Remote, please don't forget an output item for the playhead :-)

kerngrutzky

26 Jan 2016

The concept sounds a bit Buchla to me, and that's a good thing.

rcbuse
RE Developer

26 Jan 2016

electrofux wrote: Concerning Remote, please don't forget an output item for the playhead :-)
Good call, will remote all that feedback as well.

rcbuse
RE Developer

26 Jan 2016

chimp_spanner wrote:\please find room for a shuffle control (shuffle is love, shuffle is life)
done.

EnochLight

26 Jan 2016

JiggeryPokery wrote: Looks interesting. I think you might benefit from an extra U there, rc.

Besides, someone will ask for a patchbrowser. Might as well pre-empt it ;)
Agreed.

And - I'll bite! :D Why no patch browser, rc? You could include an extensive selection of pre-built Combi showing off this bad boy.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information