RE to measure an LFO frequency in Hz?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
dioxide

31 Dec 2015

Is there a Rack Extension that is capable of measuring LFOs in Hz? So if you fed a Sine or Triangle wave into it the device would give you a reading for the frequency in Hz.

satyr32

31 Dec 2015

I do not think there is one.
There are ways to do it, they are not that comfortable and maybe not 100% accurate:
You could build such a device out of "The Chronololgists" rack extensions "Now Gate Counter", "Truth Logic Gate", "CMD: Equation Math Module", "CMD: Constants Number General" and "Divisor". It is possible.
Another method would be with LectricPandas Scope. Feed your LFO signal into one and another LFO into another. Now you can adjust the speed of the second LFO till they visually match and are in sync, so you know the exact Hz.
If you have a fast LFO above 20Hz you can feed it into CV1 in of Thor and the put it out as Audio via the ModMatrix (CV1 --> 100 --> Audio Output1) and watch the audio signal in the Spectrum EQ or in Lectric Pandas Spectrum.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

satyr32

31 Dec 2015

Ok I tried it out now a bit.
This method really depends on the BMP. Asuming we have 120BPM: A half note from matrix is exactly 1Hz. Connect the Matrix Gate Out to "Now Gate Counter". Every half note note it adds 1 to the counter. And do same with your LFO. If you have a triangle every cycle it counts 1 to the counter.
By this you can calculate the LFO Hz. Just an example: the counter of the Matrix shows 128 while your LFO counts 64: 128 divided by 64 = x = 2.
1 Hz divided by x (which is 2 in this case) = 0.5 Hz.
Set the speed of Matrix depending on the LFO Speed the it will be easier to count the counters. If you have a fast LFO then set Matrix to 1/16th note. Then 1/16 note is 125 ms = 8Hz.
OK this seems maybe complicated which in fact is not. Anyways the other method I mentioned with LectricPandas Scope is maybe a lot easier to match the LFOs by eyes.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

challism

31 Dec 2015

You could route the LFO thru Thor's cv1 in, then program the cv1 in to audio 1 out. Then open up the Reason Spectrum EQ to give you a rough idea of the frequencies.
hz.jpg
hz.jpg (190.07 KiB) Viewed 840 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

dioxide

01 Jan 2016

Thanks, I'll try these methods. I've had some success by running both into a Skope with one of the signals inverted and trying to cancel out the LFO by adjusting Rate and Phase.

dioxide

01 Jan 2016

I bought a copy of this to help with this, it's pretty accurate but unfortunately doesn't go low enough for LFOs. Handy as a utility though.
https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZS ... 9513&mt=12

• Information