Softube stuff - Must buy at 50% off?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
ReasonUser

30 Dec 2015

I know there are free trials, and everyone says decide for yourself... but seriously could you live without Softube?
Are FET, TSAR-1, and Trident duplicated by other things well enough for less cost?

I do SynthPop and Top40 styles of music , but I don't know if I'm even experienced enough as a producer to appreciate the 'difference' Softube REs would make for me. I tend to buy stuff only when it's on sale so this is probably the last opportunity for a while. $250 for all three is a hard pill to swallow, not to offend those that paid full price. :)

FYI on black friday I already got:
EvE MP5 $39
Polar $35
Devastor 2 $25
FM4 $19
Flower Audio Loudness Meter $9
Bucket Brigade Bundle $43
McDSP Compressor Bundle $49
Yoko Band Splitter $9
PMS 20 Analog Filter $9
Spektrum $9
Skope $9
AutoTheory $19

Earlier in the year I got Outboard rig. Those are the REs I own. I mainly record hardware synths and my vocals (processed through melodyne). Still on Reason 7. Thanks for your opinions!

joeyluck

30 Dec 2015

Aside from the Saturation Knob, and Amps that I received for free, the FET is the only Softube RE I have purchased and I hardly ever use it...
Many folks swear by it though. It's good. But I tend to reach for the RE-2A for most applications.

The MP5 is the only EQ RE I have purchased. It works wonders. Until there is something that the MP5, SSL, or MClass can't do for me in a mix, I won't see a need for buying another EQ.

That said though, these are all unique and well-made REs with different approaches. But I'm the type of user that buys on an as-needed basis or when my socks are blown off.

Skullture

30 Dec 2015

For me the FET-compressor is an essential. If you are in need of a go-to compressor and your budget allows it, I'd highly recommend it.

ReasonUser

30 Dec 2015

Thanks for the feedback guys. These sales always make me feel like I have to buy now or I'll regret paying more later. But I think waiting until I really need it is the most logical. I have mcdsp compressor bundle. Is FET much different? That is one I hear talked about a lot. Does dynemite sound anything like it?

pjeudy

30 Dec 2015

ReasonUser wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys. These sales always make me feel like I have to buy now or I'll regret paying more later. But I think waiting until I really need it is the most logical. I have mcdsp compressor bundle. Is FET much different? That is one I hear talked about a lot. Does dynemite sound anything like it?
Good feedback fromm everyone above.... also do a search in the RE forum:
Tips for using Softube's FET compressor?
http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php ... ET#p224992
The best compressor.
http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php ... ET#p215599

FET is a very fast compressor, I use it on EVERY SINGLE CHANEL. I really like it.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

challism

30 Dec 2015

FET is a very fast compressor, I use it on EVERY SINGLE CHANEL. I really like it.

How does your DSP handle that many FETs?
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

tronam

30 Dec 2015

After spending some time with the full TSAR-1 demo I'll be getting it before the year is out. I've had the smaller version for a while now, but ended up rarely using it due to the limited control, most often when working with synthesized sounds in particular. Being able to independently adjust (especially) density, tone and early/late reflections make all the difference for me and has become my favorite algorithmic reverb in Reason.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

shredmiyagi

30 Dec 2015

I couldn't resist TSAR-1. It's a really nice reverb. Put it on my Master FX send/everything.

gak

30 Dec 2015

YMMV, but I think where FET shines is on a drum bus.

pjeudy

30 Dec 2015

challism wrote:

How does your DSP handle that many FETs?
I bounce to wav as soon as I can...sometimes with the FET baked in.....

Using 8 instances "live" on a track right now. ...with 2 RE 2A
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

Yonatan

31 Dec 2015

If I remember right, there is also to be expected a "Bright Sale" (cant remember the actual name of it, but yes, PH do have the intention for a few sales per year, so I do not think this is "get it now or wait till next christmas". So, as these are quite expensive even with 50% off, I would recommend to get one or two at a time. In worst case, you might have to wait until early summer sale. So its all about how fast you need something.
I have not used FET in a long time since MCDSP compressors, as they are lighter on DSP. But that does not mean FET is not needed. It is great on drumbus and on lead vocals. They give an edge and fullness. Closest soundwise in the MCDSP is the Moo comp, but FET is more capable, flexible, fast, fuller and is of another level of capacity. I would hesitate to talk about sounding better or not, as it´s that you can do a lot more and push it harder, like the frog but in a more sophisticated way. Frog IMO is a better version of MClass compressor, and FET is like all MCDSP in one but with more control and a notch up in exclusiveness. Softube saturation knob has similar character in some way, so a cheap solution could be the MCDSPs in kombination with Saturation knob.

In the end its all about taste, as with Softube algoritmic reverb, it´s really versatile and clean, but it is not a must have.
For the ordinary listener, a good song is at least 40%, a good performance and sound is a at least 30%, a nice and balanced mix is like 20%, mastering 5% and rest 4% is the package and presentation. All these varies between differens peeps but just to give a perspective, I guess issue of "one plugin before the other" is in all maybe 1% of importance for the reciever of the final result. But for the mixer, producer or artist a nice plugin can inspire and ease the chain of production so that the listener gets a better experience in the end result. So it could be more important in a creative and workflow way, than in the actual final sound. But it probably wont make the difference as most can hear on their standard headphones/speakers. Still we mix it to sound as good as possible on also a high end hifi-system, exclusive headphones or bigger sound systems. Most experienced producers wont be able to pinpoint if you used Softube reverb or another, as long as you as a producer know what balance you are after. Some plugins might speed up this workflow or make us be able to control the effect better by the way they are designed, some stock devices may need more tweaking and tricks to get to the same lushness as the other.

I have thought of buying Trident but think I wait a while, as I think it is one of the devices one can live without. It seems nice to have and smooth sound and lovely design, but probably no one but myself will notice any difference with that in the rack or using other things. But if that beauty would make my mixing experience enhanced and more enjoyable, well, that can be a good thing too. But is it needed before releasing a mastered track to Spotify? No. But please, correct me if you are of another standpoint.
If one is on the top of mixing and really really good at the craft, some exclusive devices might probably make you a favour and bring a bit of new life.
Softube are mainly aimed at that sphere. Most of us hobby users do can get our mixes better with some devices, but for most part what we need is more experience, better monitoring (really accurate headphones), and none of the Softube can save us from that. That said, I still must admit that FET was one of the first RE:s I bought and as not so experienced, it did open up my eyes to the vast world of compressors. The stock MClass is functional, but FET was really inspiring to use. So, its not all for the pro, it can show a quality that one did not even think of (if not working in an bid studio with different levels of compressors). MClass is more like an Alesis standard, it does its work. FET shape the sound character in a good way. But Saturation knob might be enough for many to add that.

pollz

31 Dec 2015

I have the Tube Delay and Spring Reverb as part of the Backline Rig, and the Saturation RE. I was pretty disappointed by the Reverb and Delay, but it may be due to the fact I've never been able to find a good balance of dry/wet for either ... either the audio is drowned out or I can't hear the effect. Admittedly this may be a reflection of my own (lack of) mixing skills.

Anyway, once I upgraded to 8 the RV7000 MKII covers everything I could possibly need for reverb and the echo is a nice enough delay for me. I did trial the FET Compressor and really liked it ... but since I couldn't decide between that or the C1-L1 I decided to hold off and stick with the stock items.

ReasonUser

31 Dec 2015

Thanks again for all the feedback. This is a great forum.
I've never been a big fan of reverb. I've always felt that it muddies up and/or washes out a clear sound. I've really only experienced hardware synthesizer reverbs, and RV7000 though. TSAR-1 does sound really nice in the demos, but it's always a different story when you start to mix in the other parts of the song. Could be just a lack of experience too.

O1B

31 Dec 2015

Greetings!
ReasonUser wrote:And."I don't know if I'm even experienced enough as a producer to appreciate the 'difference' Softube REs"
Same hear.. i mean here. I want my music as dynamic as possible - while keeping it centered, and at maximum Power. And, no "WALL OF SOUND" pls. For me, it came down to to two classes of devices: One class makes things more "smooth and gentle, airy and focused, full and Fat" , and the other is for "precise and minute tweaks with 0.1 dB read-outs. " Sometimes we get lucky and get both in one.

Mclass EQ, REQ131, and GEQ are some of my class 2 staples. But the Tube Tech - like uh-Q, allows you to Carve BIG.
so does the TSAR-1 (VOX, Room), FET (Drum BUS), and VPDynamite (sweet GATE), Tube D, Spring Rev… nice…
ReasonUser wrote:Thanks again for all the feedback. This is a great forum.
I've never been a big fan of reverb. I've always felt that it muddies up and/or washes out a clear sound. I've really only experienced hardware synthesizer reverbs, and RV7000 though. TSAR-1 does sound really nice in the demos, but it's always a different story when you start to mix in the other parts of the song. Could be just a lack of experience too.
TRial the TSAR-1 one. Raise and lower each fader. Start on the Right (High Cut) to Tone, Density, Time, and Predelay.
Then, change the size of the ROOM (Early Reflections) and the amount of Diffusion. You'll be hooked on the RealNESS.
Call on the Ears - and Chops - you use for your primary instrument. It'll guide you the rest of the way. Mine: Trumpet.

Just bought the Tube Tech. Holy Moley. (I also own Kuassa's emu.)
Merry New Year!

tronam

31 Dec 2015

ReasonUser wrote:I've never been a big fan of reverb. I've always felt that it muddies up and/or washes out a clear sound.
Unless the goal is for an obvious effect, a properly tuned high quality reverb shouldn't do that; it should gel with the original signal and add depth that won't be overtly obvious until the reverb is turned off. Really great reverbs can be almost invisible if configured and balanced correctly. It'll just sound natural.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

gak

31 Dec 2015

O1B wrote: Just bought the Tube Tech
I'm not cool enough for that one :lol:

O1B

01 Jan 2016

gak wrote:
O1B wrote: Just bought the Tube Tech
I'm not cool enough for that one :lol:
I peeked at your studio. Oh yes, you are.

gak

01 Jan 2016

hehe

mreese80

01 Jan 2016

I have the complete bundle.
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

mcatalao
Competition Winner

04 Jan 2016

Additionally to the Guitar amps, i already have the Saturation Knob, Tsar-1 Reverb and Dynamite. I use the saturation knob all over the place, and and i really like Tsar-1 (really i might not have bought it after Propellerhead added the convolution mode).

IMHO, they are a bit overpriced specially the Channel Strip. I went for the Kuassa MP5 for the EQ's, and i can't find a reason to buy their channel strip, or any other device from them... Too expensive imho. I mean, with the money i would spend on the Channel strip i bought 5 or 6 different Re's.

K1TTENM1TTEN

05 Jan 2016

joeyluck wrote:Aside from the Saturation Knob, and Amps that I received for free, the FET is the only Softube RE I have purchased and I hardly ever use it...
Many folks swear by it though. It's good. But I tend to reach for the RE-2A for most applications.
If you have both, the RE-2A and FET pair incredibly nicely together :-) In fact, I almost never have one of these running by itself anymore. RE-2A was my first compressor RE that I bought, and I loved it, but after using the two together, I would never go back. FET first to handle the detail work, then RE-2A to add the subtle warmth and final light peak taming.

That being said, and to answer the OP, I would say that if I did not have FET and TSAR-1, I would probably have jumped ship from Reason a while back ago. These two are what kept me aboard, as these two truly add so so much to what Reason is capable of. Neither can be replicated with other devices.

It is arguable that Trident is a difficult one to replicate (I remember on the PUF forums 2 years back people made some patches with GQ7 to emulate the curves, but it still didn't sound the same), but there are so many EQ options out there that really I have a hard time shelling out that much money for another when I already have so many...

Their other options... well, that is where it is debatable. I have tried most of their products and have not really been too "wowed" by any of the other options. The tube delay and spring reverb are very "meh." Dynamite has been said to be a great tool, and it is a solid limiter, but I feel as though that one can be fairly well replicated with some crafty combi routing.

• Information