KILOHEARTS Khs ONE ON SALE !

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
EnochLight

23 Dec 2015

Antidote is over 40% off - an incredible sale price for a brilliant synth. But it goes on sale often. This is the first time Khs has ever put One RE on sale. Ever.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Tincture

23 Dec 2015

EnochLight wrote:Antidote is over 40% off - an incredible sale price for a brilliant synth. But it goes on sale often. This is the first time Khs has ever put One RE on sale. Ever.
True but if you had neither which would give you the best rewards...? I'd say antiddote all day long. Just my personal opinion but I tried One and it'd have to come down to Red70 prices for me to buy it.

XysteR

23 Dec 2015

Tincture wrote:
EnochLight wrote:Antidote is over 40% off - an incredible sale price for a brilliant synth. But it goes on sale often. This is the first time Khs has ever put One RE on sale. Ever.
True but if you had neither which would give you the best rewards...? I'd say antiddote all day long. Just my personal opinion but I tried One and it'd have to come down to Red70 prices for me to buy it.
That is part of the reason I didn't buy KHS One on release - Just too pricey. I had already bought Antidote when One came out. during my trial period with One I tried so hard to like it. I had the money to buy it too, but decided against it. You're right though - I also think it's still a bit pricey even in the sale.

I'd feel bad if I didn't recommend Antidote over One to someone looking for a great synth. Antidote is the most dominant synth in just about everything I make.

eusti

23 Dec 2015

To me KHS One seems to be a little bit more direct / dry in its character than both Antidote and Red70.

D.

Arrant
Competition Winner

23 Dec 2015

Picked it up on sale now, agree it's a bit too pricey otherwise. Fantastic synth though, not a direct Antidote competitor but it does a certain sound really really well. Sort of progressive house-y, best way I can explain it.

EnochLight

23 Dec 2015

I own them both and couldn't imagine not having either. They're both on sale right now, which is great all around; I paid full price for One back in the day and don't regret it (though Antidote is my baby; you'll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands)! :mrgreen: :puf_bigsmile:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

eusti

23 Dec 2015

This thread made me curious: How different do various synths sound if you just look at the basics?
Actually most of them do sound pretty similar to my ear when just looking at for instance a non filtered saw...
But of course the different layouts, filters and extra features may still warrant any purchase if it indeed helps you to create new stuff...

D.

TheMiles

23 Dec 2015

Maybe its just my imagination, but certain sounds from the KHS one Library are so, so incredibly sweet. As has been said, certain sounds it does really well. There is a warmth to it I miss from other synths... OC I own Antidote, there was so much hype about it I bought it with almost no trialing just because EVERYONE appears to like it. I have, however, not gotten warm with it. I had no time and/or motivation to thoroughly test it so it still gathers a little dust on the top. Yet I am sure one day I'm gonna love it for sure. Everyone loves it it MUST be a good device :)

gak

23 Dec 2015

eXode wrote:
gak wrote:So, looking more into "one" I don't see what the price used to be. I think antidote is either 109 or 119 iirc.
Antidote is €139 normally. :)
Ok, that's a no-brainer :lol:

gak

23 Dec 2015

I'm going to festoon my assortment with at least antidote. Don't want anything that is hungrier tbh, but might slip in a demo for the heck of it.

XysteR

23 Dec 2015

eusti wrote:This thread made me curious: How different do various synths sound if you just look at the basics?
Actually most of them do sound pretty similar to my ear when just looking at for instance a non filtered saw...
But of course the different layouts, filters and extra features may still warrant any purchase if it indeed helps you to create new stuff...

D.
I just wasted my time arguing this point to someone on youtube. A well shaped sawtooth is pretty much harmonically very similar to any other synths well tuned sawtooth - Obviously because of this they sound very similar too. But according to him the likes of TB303, Moogs and other analogs all get their famous 'sound' from their oscillators. He just wouldn't believe it when I said in subtractive synthesis, the vast majority of the synth's famous 'sound' and character comes from the filter. He's still harping on about it even now, I've not even bothered to reply.

I'm open to anyone proving me wrong though. I must admit to not knowing everything about synthesis. I'm just going off my ears here from all of the old analog stuff I used to own. In fact if someone can prove me to be wrong i'll feel like I've just been ripped from my mothers womb and smacked firmly on the backside lol

EnochLight

23 Dec 2015

XysteR wrote:
eusti wrote:This thread made me curious: How different do various synths sound if you just look at the basics?

D.
I just wasted my time arguing this point to someone on youtube. A well shaped sawtooth is pretty much harmonically very similar to any other synths well tuned sawtooth - Obviously because of this they sound very similar too. But according to him the likes of TB303, Moogs and other analogs all get their famous 'sound' from their oscillators. He just wouldn't believe it when I said in subtractive synthesis, the vast majority of the synth's famous 'sound' and character comes from the filter. He's still harping on about it even now, I've not even bothered to reply.

I'm open to anyone proving me wrong though. I must admit to not knowing everything about synthesis. I'm just going off my ears here from all of the old analog stuff I used to own. In fact if someone can prove me to be wrong i'll feel like I've just been ripped from my mothers womb and smacked firmly on the backside lol
You're not wrong, but you're not completely right either. Full disclosure: there are much more learned peeps than me who are qualified to comment on this subject (hey @eXode, chime in!)! But... as far as I understood, there is often a definitive difference in the quality of oscillators as well as filters. It can both, or either.

Skullture

23 Dec 2015

I got a few cool sounds out of this RE, but i don't know.. 69 bucks is quite a lot for this synth. 40 would have been more appropriate, but that's my silly opinion.

eXode

24 Dec 2015

XysteR wrote:I just wasted my time arguing this point to someone on youtube. A well shaped sawtooth is pretty much harmonically very similar to any other synths well tuned sawtooth - Obviously because of this they sound very similar too. But according to him the likes of TB303, Moogs and other analogs all get their famous 'sound' from their oscillators. He just wouldn't believe it when I said in subtractive synthesis, the vast majority of the synth's famous 'sound' and character comes from the filter. He's still harping on about it even now, I've not even bothered to reply.

It's not simple b&w. In some cases you can hear a difference between oscillators. Imho there's a noticeable difference between sawtooth- and triangle core oscillators in particular. That the Moog would get it's sound from the oscillators is only part of the truth, in fact it's actually all the parts that make up the whole. For instance, It's not just the oscillators and filter, equally important is the oscillator mixer that saturates when you go past a certain point. Then there's the EG's with their behavior, finally there's the VCA that can be overdriven.

I got components similar to a minimoog when I owned a modular. I had good oscillators, a nice moog-style ladder filter, a great VCA, but it wasn't until I got a clone of the Moog Modular CP3 mixer (that saturates nicely when you drive it above 12 o clock) that I finally hit home on getting close to "that" sound.

So to put it this way: The oscillators (or filter for that matter) alone don't make up the signature sound of any given synth (imho). It's the combination of components and their behavior that affects the character.

AJ_3000
Competition Winner

24 Dec 2015

A well shaped sawtooth is pretty much harmonically very similar to any other synths well tuned sawtooth -
I am no expert, but if I could share stuff I have read and seen on the 'net and mags. From this I also think it's a bit of both.

I understand often the imperfections in the oscillator waveforms are part of what gives old analogue synths their sound. So the sawtooths and other waveforms (especially square waves, being mathematically the most complicated) may be far from well shaped. Not necessarily intentionally, instead due to the characteristics of their circuit design and layout and component tolerances, making the wave have slight variations from the mathematically perfect. These may be sampled or modelled by developers trying to capture the sound of certain old synths. Some modern virtual analogues have dozens of sawtooths available, some actually stating their sources. The waveforms characteristics can be seen on oscilloscope traces of the pure signal taken before the filters do their thing.

Of course the response curve of the filters and the shape of the envelopes add to the character too. Filter designs synonymous with the different manufacturers and sought after mass produced components give an easily recognisable sound, with their distinctive responses. Differences can arise from the implementation (even in the same models) of filter designs theoretically identical on paper, but in reality characterized by the different parts within the specific layouts used to implement the design. I cannot ignore of course filters can be overdriven and oscillate too: in these cases the filter becomes a more crucial to the sound.

Considering subtractive synthesis by definition subtracts parts of 'pure' oscillator waveforms, does whatever the filter does to contribute to the overall sound depend on the frequency distribution in the original waveform at its input? Would the characteristic sound result, if a filter was fed the wrong input? Which is more important? Does it not need both to give the sound characteristic of a synth?

I had hoped my buying was over this season, as my plastic has all but melted. Another one to demo! I see now a few offers have sneaked through which are not in the 'December Deals' sale.

XysteR

24 Dec 2015

Thanks to eXode and AJ for chiming in. Synths are individuals indeed. But to me they always seem to have dominating elements. If we could replace say just the OSC of a TB303 directly with an OSC of another random synth, then it'd still sound pretty much like a TB303. But, if we instead switched out it's filter for another synths filter, I get a gut feeling it would be moved further away from its original character. This is why I felt the filter section plays a bigger role over the synths character than the OSC.

I don't know, i'm tired and rambling at the minute - So i'm probably a million miles wrong lol

eusti

24 Dec 2015

Here's my test of various saws of most of my Reason synths: http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php ... 21#p237121

D.

joeyluck

01 Jan 2016

EnochLight wrote:
joeyluck wrote:I grabbed Faturator. Thought I had enough distortion options... Couldn't resist :)
LOL so did I - just bought it! :puf_bigsmile: :thumbs_up:
Now that the sale has ended, Faturator is listed at $39. I'm pretty sure the regular price was lower than that before?
I see that the VST/AU is $39, so maybe I'm mistaken? Or they increased both or increased the RE price to match?

In any case, makes me even happier I got it for $15 :)

• Information