Basslines and Melodies with AutoTheory

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
mozaic36

07 Dec 2015

Here is a tut we just finished up. Although it is done with the multiplatform version of AutoTheory, the concepts are the exact same. It goes into detail about specific techniques for creating basslines and melodies that work well together.

Last edited by mozaic36 on 09 Dec 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Ostermilk

07 Dec 2015

Thanks for the tut, and congrats on going multiplatform with AutoTheory.

Skullture

08 Dec 2015

I got it fullpriced, worth it!

CaptainBlack

11 Dec 2015

The problem I have with Auto Theory is that you actually have to know theory to understand it. I can't tell mixolydian from myxomatosis so don't even know if it's the right scale to start with. I usually end up prodding away randomly.

mozaic36

11 Dec 2015

With scales, you probably don't want to be using too many. Figure out a few that you like. The main thing to look at is whether the I(i) chord is a major or minor. That has a huge impact on things. If you like minor chords better, mess with minor, dorian and phrygian. If you like major chords better mess with Major, Mixolydian and Lydian. From there, figure out some chord progressions that sound good within those few scales. Here is a tut that talks about chord progressions that work: http://www.autotheorybymozaic.com/blog/chord

AutoTheory is not the type of lazy software that just does it for you. It requires some effort on your part. If you put forth a little bit of effort, it empowers you on a whole different level.

• Information