Etch Red Dual Filter is the most powerful Filter in REASON today !!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
pjeudy

06 Dec 2015

Ok...People are Talking about Primal Audio Ladder Filter..which sounds good. But don't sleep on Etch Red Dual Filter
Effect it's $25 and is the most POWERFUL filter for REASON today!!
Etch Red GUI.png
Etch Red GUI.png (122.14 KiB) Viewed 1899 times
A lot of people don't like the looks of the devices it's unconventional. I had this device for say 2 years now... and this month after all this time I finally got over my dislike of the way the routing is set up and got my head around it to accepting it..to the point that it prompted me to post this. So Yea I don't like the way that Fxpansion has it laydout but...now..Man oh man. It's a fantastic Filter device ..The best so far! I bought for $50 at the time :-)
Etch Red features dual filters with 38 available filter responses, realistic audio-rate FM, flexible routing, additional drive & compression stages,with 2 LFOs, envelopes and more.

here are some of the specs:
5 built-in modulators:
a). triggered Envelope
b). 2 LFOs
c). envelope Follower
d). Sample & Hold (S&H)

The level of each modulator can be controlled by another modulation source! Meaning you can use say an LFO to modulate the envelope follower or use the triggered Envelope to modulate the LFO that's already Modulating another parameter and vice versa! Powerful stuff :thumbs_up:

Filter FM
The Filter FM function features a direct modulation routing
from LFO1, LFO2 or the FM Override external inputs on the
Etch Red rear panel. The depth is set by the FM knob on each
filter, which can itself be modulated via the TransMod system.
The filter FM function can operate at audio rates, unlike the
TransMod system which is quantized to control rates.

Override audio inputs
These audio inputs override the default signals used for the Follower (Envelope Follower) and
Sample & Hold internal modulators in Etch Red.

Drive/Distortion routing
*It is possible to change the position of the Distortion module before (default configuration) or after
the filter stages using the Post button.
*The Drive module allows you to apply various flavours of overdrive and
distortion to the signal, prior to or after Etch Red's filtering stages.
*Each of the available Type settings changes the input to output amplitude in a non-linear way,
with each setting offering different timbral effects.The following response
curves show the amplitude of the input signal vs. the output signal.
Drive Types
Eftch Red Distortion Filter Types.jpg
Eftch Red Distortion Filter Types.jpg (69.31 KiB) Viewed 1899 times

F1 Freq Link (Filter2 only)
With the F1 Freq Link button selected, adjusting or modulating the Freq control for Filter1 results
in the same changes being applied to Filter2.

Parallel (Filter2 only)
The Parallel button allows you to toggle the routing of Filter1 and Filter2. By default it is
deactivated, meaning that the routing of the filters is serial: Filter1 is placed before Filter2 in the
signal path. With the button activated, the 2 filters operate on the same input signal in parallel,
with the output being subsequently mixed after the filtering stages.

Filter Models :thumbs_up:
Etch Red features 4 different filter models, selectable with the Type control. Each Type provides a
varied set of Mode settings and possesses different circuit-modelled characteristics.

Japan ***
This filter type is a classic Japanese monosynth filter based on cascaded OTA components. The
Japan filter offers a large variety of filter Mode settings: As well as conventional 2-pole and 4-pole
low-pass, band-pass, high-pass and notch filters, it also features a 2-pole peak filter response and
a number of additional combinations of low-pass, high-pass, notch and peak filter outputs which
provide a huge range of possible sonic effects.
SVF
This filter is a typical state-variable filter (SVF) design, offering 2-pole and 4-pole low-pass, bandpass,
high-pass, notch and peak filter responses using the Mode control.
Fatty
The Fatty filter is an OTA-based Sallen-Key filter design ,offering low-pass, band-pass, high-pass
and notch Mode settings. (Antidote also has this filter modeled,but you can't access it with an external sound source)
Comb
The Comb filter is great for all sorts of uses, especially lush detune and chorus textures, resonant
special FX and sounds reminiscent of flanging and phasing.
When the Comb is selected, 2 Mode settings are available: negative and positive.

Filter FM inputs 2 inputs one for filter 1 and filter independently!! (Primal Audio Ladder filter also has an FM input drive)
The FM inputs override the LFO1 or LFO2
routing to the filter FM function. These
inputs are optimized for audio-rate
modulation and accept audio signals only.

Etch Red has a WET/DRY knob...why not :-)

Polarity: Unipolar / Bipolar operation
The LFO, S&H and Random sources can all be set to operate with unipolar or bipolar behavior.
Deactivate the source's Unipolar button
so that it outputs negative and positive
values between -1 and 1.
This means that the Pan control is now
modulated in both directions about the
centre.

LFO1 and LFO2
Etch Red's LFOs can operate at audio rates,
reaching speeds of 1024 Hz. These speeds
are intended to be used with the dedicated
FM function on each filter module.
The TransMod modulation from the LFOs is always quantized to control rates.

Sync button
With the Sync button enabled, the Rate
control is set in BPM values derived from the
Reason tempo.
With the Sync button disabled, the Rate control is set in Hz.
The Sync function must be deactivated to achieve audible LFO rates to use with the filter FM
function.
Rate [w /Tran sMod amount]
The Rate control dictates the speed of the LFO's oscillation.
Shape
choose one of several waveform shapes: Sawtooth, Square, Sine, Triangle and Arc-Sine (A-Sine) shapes are available.
Mph (Morph)
The Morph control shifts the center point of the waveform without altering the wavelength. It is
similar to a pulse width control in that it varies the duty cycle of the waveform.
Phs (Phase)
The Phase control allows you to adjust the phase of the LFO within 360 degrees.
Gain [w /Tran sMod amount]
The Gain control offers a final attenuation control for the output of the module before it enters the
TransMod modulation system. At 100%, no attenuation is applied to the output modulation signal.
This control is intended to be modulated by other TransMod sources for dynamic, evolving
modulation effects.

Filter Modes: Go Grab a cup of coffee!
Japan filter Modes
Japan 2L
Japan 4L
Japan 2B
Japan 4B
Japan 2H
Japan 4H
Japan 2N + 2P (8ve) (N2P2T)
Japan 2N + 2L (8ve) (N2L2T)
Japan 2N+1H+1L (8ve)
Japan 2P + 2N (8ve)
Japan 2H + 2N (8ve)
Japan 1H + 1L + 2N (8ve)
Japan 2N + 2P + 2N (8ve)
Japan 2N
Japan 4N
Japan 2N + 2L
Japan 2H + 2N
Japan 1H + 2N + 1L (8ve)
Japan 2N + 2N (+8ve) (A)
Japan 2N + 2N (-8ve) (B)

SVF filter
SVF 2L
SVF 4L
SVF H2
SVF H4
SVF 2N
SVF 4N
SVF 2P
SVF 4P
SVF 2B
SVF 4B

Fatty
Fatty Lowpass
Fatty Bandpass
Fatty Highpass
Fatty Notch

Comb
Comb Positive
Comb Negative

**FYI** I had to skip at least a dozen other routing and explanation etc....that the Etch Red allows you to play with! For $25 I think it should be seriously looked at....Oh...I forgot to mention ..it sounds Fantastic !

Public service announcement from Emian bellow !
Emian wrote:have it too, sounds great, but it should be mentioned Etch is a quite CPU hungry RE .
Last edited by pjeudy on 06 Dec 2015, edited 3 times in total.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

Skullture

06 Dec 2015

Nice article Pjeudy. This filter is amazing, and truly becomes great when being automated to the brink hehe.

mojo

06 Dec 2015

Yep it's agreat devices i have two uses of it. As a filter of course and also as a modulation source :1 envelloppe, 2 lfos, the envelloppe follower plus the sample and hold. all this with cv output is great for any other devices with cv input.

Emian

06 Dec 2015

have it too, sounds great, but it should be mentioned Etch is a quite CPU hungry RE .

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

dioxide

06 Dec 2015

I know it's stupid but it's all the modulation options that put me off this. In Reason if you want an LFO you can just patch it in using CV. I remember the drive section sounding great though.

Jagwah

06 Dec 2015

It's pretty kick ass!

Great for automating as mentioned above, great filter types and great drive utility to boot.

Oh, and by the way:

1. Non moving filters / Widener JO.repatch :twisted:

satyr32

06 Dec 2015

To be honest I am a bit intimidated not by the modulation options but by the number of available filters. I know there is a difference and I can hear it, but it is hard for me to know why I decide to use a 12db S.V.F, 12db Japan or a Fatty. Differences are sometimes very subtle and in this situation I am overchallenged. Do you guys just choose what sounds best or do already know which type fits for certain stuff, e.g. for sub bass Japan and for a mid high a Fatty?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

pjeudy

06 Dec 2015

satyr32 wrote:To be honest I am a bit intimidated not by the modulation options but by the number of available filters. I know there is a difference and I can hear it, but it is hard for me to know why I decide to use a 12db S.V.F, 12db Japan or a Fatty. Differences are sometimes very subtle and in this situation I am overchallenged. Do you guys just choose what sounds best or do already know which type fits for certain stuff, e.g. for sub bass Japan and for a mid high a Fatty?
was sup satyr32...I would say run some test. For example use the native REASON filter the ECF-42.Filter a sound at 12db while that sound is playing push the 24db button..and use your ears and "hear" what it does. As a matter of fact a better example would be to use THOR.
Use a SAW wave add a Low pass Filter (which is already assigned by default) turn the filter cut off knob...really low....then simply switch to 6db and 24 db and "hear" what it does.

As have this habit that I use with every new synth that I try...don't ask me why, but First thing I do with a new synth is create a pluck sound (that basic easy deadmau5 pluck sound) create one and switch through the different slopes from 6- 24db listen to what happens to your sound and see that more of the sound will pass through depending on the db selected and more of the sound will be filtered the other way around !
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST

pjeudy

06 Dec 2015

dioxide wrote:I know it's stupid but it's all the modulation options that put me off this. In Reason if you want an LFO you can just patch it in using CV. I remember the drive section sounding great though.
Right !
The exact same thing can be done with Etch Red. it has 2 CV inputs in the back, you can connect any CV out put to them. And use that other device to then Modulate *ALL* the parameters, and use the filter Types and Modes in Etch Red!
BUT If one day someone doesn't feel like setting up any other device into Etch...well within that on GUI you can modulate everything you would want to! Makes it easy to send patches to others who may not have a third party LFO device for example.

Like I said in my OP, I had this thing for dam near 2 years before I decided to look into it with...all this craze that Primal Audio Created with there device got me looking into what avail be in the VST world and In the shop.
I beta tested for them, and one of the thing that I asked for was an ADSR Env on there ladder filter...they said they''ll look into adding more features to there next Filter device in the future which is cool they they take into consideration user feedback :thumbs_up: .
And Low and behold I had all the features I wanted in there Ladder filter for the past 2 years in Etch Red :shock:

dvdrtldg

06 Dec 2015

I love its distortion to death. Always my first choice if I need a distortion RE

satyr32

06 Dec 2015

pjeudy wrote: was sup satyr32...I would say run some test. For example use the native REASON filter the ECF-42.Filter a sound at 12db while that sound is playing push the 24db button..and use your ears and "hear" what it does. As a matter of fact a better example would be to use THOR.
Use a SAW wave add a Low pass Filter (which is already assigned by default) turn the filter cut off knob...really low....then simply switch to 6db and 24 db and "hear" what it does.

As have this habit that I use with every new synth that I try...don't ask me why, but First thing I do with a new synth is create a pluck sound (that basic easy deadmau5 pluck sound) create one and switch through the different slopes from 6- 24db listen to what happens to your sound and see that more of the sound will pass through depending on the db selected and more of the sound will be filtered the other way around !
Sure, I understand the difference between a 6db and a 24db lowpass.
What I especially meant is the difference between the S.V.F and the Japan for example. Or lets say the difference between Thors 24db filter, the 24db F-16 filter or Synapse 24db filter. They all sound pretty the same except for the features they have.
But you are right, it is all about training the ear to even hear the most subtle differences.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

challism

06 Dec 2015

Etch Red Dual Filter is the most powerful Filter in REASON today.... yes it is...and your CPU will certainly agree.

I love Etch, but it sure does suck up the DSP bars.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

EnochLight

06 Dec 2015

Agreed; love Etch Red. One of the first RE's I purchased and never regretted it. Also, this review is still relevant:

http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/tech/ ... red-555004
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

arqui

07 Dec 2015

It will not if it's better or more powerful, so if that gives me everything I need, even the strangest things and more complex whims, never resorting to another filter because Etch has it all and more.
It is a high-end filter
      Reason 11 Suite, perpetual license :reason:

Dave909

23 Dec 2015

Etch Red is a crazy good filter RE! Its in a class of its own and for 25 its nuts not to get it :D

• Information