Reason December 2015 Deals *the i'ts not over edition*

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Yonatan

05 Dec 2015

Yes, that is what I mean. Now, GQ7 is indeed better than the SSL-meter. I understand the scale is to do with being able to display the whole spectrum on a small space, and you do see the exact frequency below the spectrum where the knobs are. So its not a big deal really, just would be nice with more detailed meter. Maybe when RE will be able to expand in size some bright day. Then it will beat the VSTs.

Why would one want or need the GQ7?
If one is tired of the smaller MClass EQ, and also what makes me most curious is that you can EQ only the Mid, or only the Sides of the stereo field of the source. It is tempting as it seems handy when mixing or mastering. What keps me hesitate is that I think an EQ like this should be stock device, and also I do not like the grey look of the GQ7. If using a device a lot like this, I would love it to have a better look, not somehing that takes focus off the task but just a nicer tone and color. It just does not appeal to me.

Tumble

05 Dec 2015

Yonatan wrote:Yes, that is what I mean. Now, GQ7 is indeed better than the SSL-meter. I understand the scale is to do with being able to display the whole spectrum on a small space, and you do see the exact frequency below the spectrum where the knobs are. So its not a big deal really, just would be nice with more detailed meter. Maybe when RE will be able to expand in size some bright day. Then it will beat the VSTs.

Why would one want or need the GQ7?
If one is tired of the smaller MClass EQ, and also what makes me most curious is that you can EQ only the Mid, or only the Sides of the stereo field of the source. It is tempting as it seems handy when mixing or mastering. What keps me hesitate is that I think an EQ like this should be stock device, and also I do not like the grey look of the GQ7. If using a device a lot like this, I would love it to have a better look, not somehing that takes focus off the task but just a nicer tone and color. It just does not appeal to me.
I agree. An equalizer is such an essential tool, so I cannot understand why MClass hasn't been updated or the SSL made more versatile.

I've suggested that they implement a 'modern' feature to the SSL that adds more bands, slopes etc.
I find the current one rather limited. I mean, I'm not a mastering engineer living in the 80s. :|
Last edited by Tumble on 06 Dec 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Yonatan

05 Dec 2015

I will wait a bit until more options in the EQ-market is available and also if PH will make an upgrade in the coming time ahead, of the MasterClass suite etc. It feels strange having to buy expensive RE:s only to make up for the lackings of the main DAW. I want to buy RE:s that are something special like Tubetech, FET or a weird special effect that has something new or creative to it. You dont really need them, but you can choose to need their character to expand while your needs and taste develops.
Last edited by Yonatan on 05 Dec 2015, edited 1 time in total.

pjeudy

05 Dec 2015

Don't Forget The Bundles !!
bundles 01.jpg
bundles 01.jpg (143.27 KiB) Viewed 1654 times
bundles 02.jpg
bundles 02.jpg (136.24 KiB) Viewed 1654 times
bundles 03.jpg
bundles 03.jpg (101.32 KiB) Viewed 1654 times
*Some Bundles are the same price year round!
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

Bonkhead

05 Dec 2015

Why isn't the tick 808 bundle shown in the december sale ? I almost missed it (again). This time I'll buy it.

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product_ ... ne-bundle/

chimp_spanner

06 Dec 2015

Just to say I tried out GQ7 the other night and I'm really impressed. Excellent EQ. Surpasses the M-Class by a mile for me. I only just got over a £540 car repair bill so I'm probably going to wait until after December pay-day, which usually happens before December is out. So hopefully I'll have time!
Last edited by chimp_spanner on 06 Dec 2015, edited 1 time in total.

TheMiles

06 Dec 2015

chimp_spanner wrote:Just to say I tried out GQ7 the other night and I'm really impressed. Excellent reverb. Surpasses the M-Class by a mile for me. I only just got over a £540 car repair bill so I'm probably going to wait until after December pay-day, which usually happens before December is out. So hopefully I'll have time!
Isn't the GQ-7 an Equalizer ? What is the reverb you are talking about ? ;)

chimp_spanner

06 Dec 2015

TheMiles wrote:
chimp_spanner wrote:Just to say I tried out GQ7 the other night and I'm really impressed. Excellent reverb. Surpasses the M-Class by a mile for me. I only just got over a £540 car repair bill so I'm probably going to wait until after December pay-day, which usually happens before December is out. So hopefully I'll have time!
Isn't the GQ-7 an Equalizer ? What is the reverb you are talking about ? ;)
Man. I shouldn't have stayed up until 5am watching Black List! Of course, yes, I meant EQ. But I'm gonna leave it unedited as a reminder of my own foolishness.

eusti

06 Dec 2015

Was thinking the same about the GQ7... But didn't want to be a wise-ass... ;)

D.

JNeffLind

06 Dec 2015

chimp_spanner wrote: Man. I shouldn't have stayed up until 5am watching Black List! Of course, yes, I meant EQ. But I'm gonna leave it unedited as a reminder of my own foolishness.
Any noun can be a verb if you just verb it. For example. "I GQ-7'd the shit out of those muddy frequencies." And any verb'd noun can re-become a noun if you unverb it. "Don't you mean you eq'd it using GQ-7?" But then if you are insistent on bending the rules of english, you can just "re-verb" it. "No, it was beyond eqing. I totally GQ-7'd it." So, GQ-7 can be a reverb...

JerrelTheKing

06 Dec 2015

I purchased GQ-7 last week and can't see myself mixing anything in Reason without it. by far best EQ in Reason. On the other hand I agree that something like it should be standard in Reason. The M Class is blah. The SSL is meh. Another reason why I was disappointed with the 8 upgrade. It was just a workflow change and didnt add any new or upgraded devices besides the rv7000 which came after a .3 update.

chimp_spanner

06 Dec 2015

JerrelTheKing wrote:I purchased GQ-7 last week and can't see myself mixing anything in Reason without it. by far best EQ in Reason. On the other hand I agree that something like it should be standard in Reason. The M Class is blah. The SSL is meh. Another reason why I was disappointed with the 8 upgrade. It was just a workflow change and didnt add any new or upgraded devices besides the rv7000 which came after a .3 update.
Perhaps it's not in keeping with its hardware equivalent but the SSL would be infinitely more useful if it had higher/narrower Q settings. It's the only reason I don't use it. Otherwise I find the analyser pretty responsive/useful. Perhaps it's suppose to be used for broad/general shaping? I dunno.

chimp_spanner

06 Dec 2015

JNeffLind wrote:
chimp_spanner wrote: Man. I shouldn't have stayed up until 5am watching Black List! Of course, yes, I meant EQ. But I'm gonna leave it unedited as a reminder of my own foolishness.
Any noun can be a verb if you just verb it. For example. "I GQ-7'd the shit out of those muddy frequencies." And any verb'd noun can re-become a noun if you unverb it. "Don't you mean you eq'd it using GQ-7?" But then if you are insistent on bending the rules of english, you can just "re-verb" it. "No, it was beyond eqing. I totally GQ-7'd it." So, GQ-7 can be a reverb...
Thanks for the save bro. Appreciate it :lol:

JerrelTheKing

07 Dec 2015

@chimpspanner the Q setting is exactly why I had to purchase GQ-7. The M Class only lets you adjust 2 bands at a time.

Yonatan

07 Dec 2015

True...the SSL Q is a bit too broad for us to use it to cut trouble frequencies. Offcourse one can use the MClass two in a row, but there is certainly a lack when it comes to stock devices.

chimp_spanner

07 Dec 2015

Stuff it. I bought GQ7. It's too good not to, and I can use it in my work. Great device!

K1TTENM1TTEN

07 Dec 2015

JNeffLind wrote:
Yonatan wrote:Another question...about PIANO-sound. I do have both Reason piano refill and Radikal Piano. Now I do see about the Emotionell Piano for €49. I really love the sound of this one, but wonder what is special with it compared to what I already have?
I have just now downloaded my "try"-period but still want to hear some "experts" if that one has something unique or if it can be easily achieved with some tweaking of the other pianos when it comes to "hi damp" etc. What is your opinion?
Is this one comparable with Alan Parsons Imperial Grand Piano refill when it comes to softness? I know they sometimes have it for sale at 15 dollar. Would it be a better choice to wait and get that one instead?

I've got every piano available for Reason and personally Emotional Piano is my favorite and is the one I always write with. It blows Alan Parsons out of the water. It's not even close. Not saying Parsons piano is terrible. It's serviceable, but is definitely a cut below. (btw if you're interested in a relatively cheap piano check out Granny Piano on sale now for a piano with a lot of character.)

I've got to say though that Emotional Piano is quite limited. While it does one thing VERY well (dark dampened moody piano) it doesn't do anything else very well and while there are different patches with slightly different feels the effects are all built in to the patch and not accessible by the GUI (i.e. you can't adjust the amount of reverb on a given patch, you just get whatever the patch designer decided on, can only adjust pedal noise, key noise, etc.). Reason Pianos is far better overall I'd say. Much more versatile with three different pianos sampled and tons of choices for mic placements on each piano as well as lots of great combinators. Reason Pianos can do a lot more than Emotional Piano, but can't do exactly the same thing. For my personal inspiration, Emotional Piano is worth the money.
Personally, I would love to have a way to try/demo the Alan Parsons Imperial Grand Refill instead of straight purchase only, as it is the only major release piano option I do not have/have tried in Reason.

I like Emotional Piano, it does sound nice, but there are a few things about that piano that just don't sound "right" to me. I get that it is supposed to be a bit subdued (and I like a nice dark piano), but the low-mids on Emotional don't seem to match match the higher keys. It is kind of hard to explain, but where the higher register of keys sound full of life and very nice (they almost sparkle), the lower past middle C you go, the less this piano maintains that wonderful sound. It turns almost... lifeless. That is not to say that Emotional Piano is bad, but I am not 100% sure if I can say it sounds "$49 good." Most of the music I write that is piano driven thrives on this type of dark and lonely piano sound, but I found myself listening to the demo songs of Emotional Piano and not finding the same beauty in the demo tracks in the RE. I do wonder if we, the PH community, have been given a sort of stripped-down port of the VST. I want to love Emotional Piano, I really really do, but it just hasn't "clicked" yet when I am creating patches with it. It does, however, have a much more "grand piano" sound that Radical Piano does, and I would say that Emotional Piano does seem to be a more "full sounding" piano in comparison to most in the Reason Pianos refill.

I'd certainly like to hear some of the stuff that you are able to get out of this RE, JNeffLind!

guitfnky

07 Dec 2015

I finally pulled the trigger on GQ-7 last week, and while I'm glad I saved some $ on it for the sale, it's easily worth the full price. the frequency display is much better than the stock Reason display, I think. I'm not sure what it is about the stock display, but it's always felt sort of 'mushy' to me somehow. GQ-7 feels much more immediate to me. of course, the EQ itself is also excellent. ;)

I also have heard great things about the Dyna-Mite comp, and hadn't really thought much about it until I saw a video on it yesterday. I bought that this morning too, and I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do with it. Really interested in seeing how I can use it to enhance transients. I definitely didn't want to spend $100+ on another compressor, so 55 bucks was a good way to get me off the fence.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

NaviRetlav

07 Dec 2015

It's not over and the Navi Retlav Studio ReFills are also on this sale now :)

Ostermilk

07 Dec 2015

pjeudy wrote:I would love for Dcam to add more features to there Env Shaper...But I gotta say ..I use that device on every kick and percussive sounds! I love it.
DCAM Dynamics Processing bundle
FXpansion
$28.00
What other features would an Env Shaper have?

It's already got more features than most transient designers, such as bias, saturation, allows adjustments to be made at the input stage relating to which channel source you want to use and a HPF for the trigger signal, and parallel dry/wet mix on the output.

So what are you missing? Probably the most well known widely used one ever only has attack, sustain, output gain knobs and a stereo link button.

Yonatan

07 Dec 2015

Tempted to buy that GQ-7...

Envelope shaper...I use it a lot, every song almost. I got the eye on it thanks to this forum!

pjeudy

07 Dec 2015

Ostermilk wrote:
Just one! And that is and external sidechain input !
I requested it to the dev ages ago...but would be cool if someone else had it.

I saw a video of it being used in logic over a year ago....it's brilliant. If u have a kick as a key ducking the bass for example.... using the attack, bias,sustain to makes the bass really duck nicely around that kick.

Just another way to sidechain but it sounds great !
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST

pjeudy

07 Dec 2015

RPSupport wrote:Hi All,

Just to let you know we have now joined the December Sale with 15% off all our Rack Extensions.

Thank you for all your kind words and support, it keeps us motivated into producing more Rack Extensions ;)

https://shop.propellerheads.se/browse/?q=rob+papen
Rob Papen Is back with more sale a 15% discount :
https://shop.propellerheads.se/browse/? ... &view=list
Rob Papen discount.jpg
Rob Papen discount.jpg (198.25 KiB) Viewed 1491 times

Ostermilk

07 Dec 2015

pjeudy wrote:
Ostermilk wrote:
Just one! And that is and external sidechain input !
I requested it to the dev ages ago...but would be cool if someone else had it.

I saw a video of it being used in logic over a year ago....it's brilliant. If u have a kick as a key ducking the bass for example.... using the attack, bias,sustain to makes the bass really duck nicely around that kick.

Just another way to sidechain but it sounds great !
Ah, I see. I'm not sure how that would work in practice on a TS where it's the actual input signal's transients you'd generally want to be detected and subsequently affected to produce the output. Ducking implies gain reduction, i.e.Compression, rather than Envelope Shaping around transients though, no?

JNeffLind

08 Dec 2015

K1TTENM1TTEN wrote:
I'd certainly like to hear some of the stuff that you are able to get out of this RE, JNeffLind!
Unfortunately I usually only use piano for writing parts (my strategy to make sure parts are musically interesting instead of just relying on cool sounds to carry a track) and then change to more electronic sounds when I'm actually "producing." As far as that goes, when I do end up using a piano sound in a track, I usually end up going with something from Reason Pianos.

Also, I must admit that having just gone back and tried to substitute Emo Piano in a few in progress tracks where I'd used Reason Pianos it doesn't stand up very well in a mix. Plus I'd forgotten how unwieldy it can be as far as every patch having the pedal sounds super loud and how frustrating it is having the effects built in to the samples. You're basically forced to click through presets to change the sound and adjust the pedal noise every time. I bought it at full price right when it came out on the strength of the demo, and perhaps cognitive dissonance got the better of me as I can know see what you mean when you say it doesn't seem to stand up to the VST (which is presumably what they used for the demo video).

While I do still maintain that it has been good for me to have as a piano fanatic, and that I've written some good stuff with it, I doubt it'll make it into any final mixes. Since revisiting it with a more critical eye, I can see how it might not even be worth the $49 to many users. I think it's telling that they haven't released any updates for it and are now offering it at half price. I feel a bit foolish having paid full price for it, but as you referenced, the demo video was amazing and I'd been anticipating it and didn't even bother trialing. Kind of feel like I got tricked, but I suppose that's what I get for being impatient/impulsive.

Whatever. Live and learn. As one who writes a lot and writes exclusively with piano, I'm glad to have as many options as possible. But this is definitely one to demo before buying. Very frustrating as I remember how excited I was with the demo video and Sound Iron seems to have gone for the quick bucks here and not worried about quality. Will make me hesitant to buy from them in the future.

• Information