MClass set veries RE's

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Lov2sing

30 Nov 2015

I am wondering which RE's are better than the M-Class unit and which would be better for what reason? :?:
We make music for a reason

pjeudy

30 Nov 2015

Lov2sing wrote:I am wondering which RE's are better than the M-Class unit and which would be better for what reason? :?:
That's an easy question
Mclas EQ
The specs:
The MClass Equalizer is a 4-band, professional level mastering EQ with low and high shelving bands, two peak filters and a low cut switch. The MClass Equalizer lets you make subtle or drastic frequency adjustments to your Reason mixes, and make them sound a touch more final: clean up that muddy bottom end, add shimmer to your cymbals, bring out the vocals. With its transparent sound and precise sound sculpting features, the MClass Equalizer is a tool you can trust.

Synapse GQ-7:

The specs: **ARE YOU READY**
five bands with high-quality parametric and shelving EQs
plus two additional low- and high cut filters
The five EQ bands can be toggled between Peaking and Shelf types :thumbs_up:
The low-cut and high-cut filters offer a variety of modes with slopes ranging from 12dB to 96 dB per octave, approaching a brick-wall response :thumbs_up:
Auto-gain compensation
If you want to hear just the dry audio, Send Mode feature removes the dry signal from the output completely, allowing you to process the wet EQ signal separately from the input.

New Mid/Side processing you can select:
[stereo] Normal mode you can EQ like you normally can with the Mclass
[Mid] you hear the full stereo spectrum but any EQ settings is only applied to the Mids
[Side] You can hear the full stereo Spectrum but any EQ applied only effects the Sides
[Mid Solo] only plays the Mid freq that you are EQING
[Side Solo] Only plays the Side Information that you are EQING
That means that you can route the Mid information and the Side Information to different outputs and say compress just the Side or just the Mids :thumbs_up:

The Mclass eq is beloved by all of us ..because she was our first !! but now she sits on the virtual shelf virtually un plug,disconnected :puf_smile: !

Mclass Stereo Imager:
It blows my mind why till this day ..no one else has developed a more powerful Stereo Imager....having said that The Mclass Imager is still king in REASON but an old King ready to be dethroned !!
Check out Izotope Imager.....

Mclass Maximizer is great !! I still use it today !!!
But I would get the one from Izotope that's in the shop if you have 50 bucks to spare...and there are also other ones in the shop that I can't speake of I haven't tried them!
This guy is on sale...
**UPDATE** One downside to the Izotope Maximizer is Latency ! So using it on individual chanels ..is a no ..no..unless you want to get to a possible work around etc.....

Mclass Compressor ...is great I use it still today..and I have FET

But the truth is I use it on say a single instrument ...and I use the FET for everything else...I mean everything else....there's a roundness a thickness to the sound of the FET...*Yea I know that this is very subjective**

FET has a 1ms Look a head for an incredible fast response
Low cut High cut detection...lets the low end or high end pass uncompressed or compress only a specific region of the sound.
Parallel inject [New York compression] let's you mix the dry and the Compressed signal to what ever degree you want.
and the external sidechain knob let's you add more or less of the amount of sidechain key you want to add ..the more you increase the more pronounced the effect.
What's kinda of funny is that FET is an emulation of a ventage piece of gear but yet it's more advanced in the feature department then the 21 century REASON Mclass compressor :shock:
Last edited by pjeudy on 02 Dec 2015, edited 2 times in total.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

XysteR

30 Nov 2015

Are iZotope releasing the Imager in Re?

For compression I've only ever used the MClass Compressor. I've still got the McDSP bundle sitting in my basket at the minute. But I think probably only 1 of the bundle would get used, as most of my stuff is predominantly electronic. Did you ever try the McDSP to compare to the FET pjeudy?

Lov2sing

30 Nov 2015

What about the fat space by Synapse and La space by Zork as being stereo imager? I thought they were geared for that application.
We make music for a reason

pjeudy

01 Dec 2015

XysteR wrote:Are iZotope releasing the Imager in Re?

For compression I've only ever used the MClass Compressor. I've still got the McDSP bundle sitting in my basket at the minute. But I think probably only 1 of the bundle would get used, as most of my stuff is predominantly electronic. Did you ever try the McDSP to compare to the FET pjeudy?
Yea I have it...My Honest opinion ?????? GET THE FET !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbs_up:

Ok The C670 from McDSP I like the Most out of the 3 ! But TheoM mentioned this a long time ago ..I didn't have it at the time so I paid no atettion to it..that is until I bought it....Now, I still like how it sounds ..but IT'S a slow response compressor, if I use it on a kick ...play the kick ..stop it then play it again..the first kick sound weird it's as if the compressor is a sleep then after the first kick passes by it then starts to work again...but it misses that first kick.....
I think Selig said he didn't notice at first and it didn't bother him (I think) But I wasn't looking for it...but then noticed it, that's when I thought of what TheoM was saying.

But not just for that, you'll be 100% happy with FET over McDSP ....If your like me, because the FET is very fast and has way more parameters then the McDSP...see the above Post ^^^^ for the FET features

McDSP :
Threshold--constant--out gain.....That's it! I mean it has it's usage...But In My Opinion if you don't have either one of them yet..then start with the FET... it's much...much...more flexible then the McDSP ..just look at the features it has!

One other option...The FET is on sale till the end of the year so you have plenty of time to buy it...the McDSP....so far they been on sale every major Holiday time and they are 50 for all 3...you can get the McDSP now...then save up for the FET you have about 31 days ! Even with that said I'll say again FET all the way !!!!!! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST

XysteR

01 Dec 2015

Jeez why didn't I try this before now? I looked into the McDSP comps but you're right in what you're saying. This FET compressor is pretty awesome! It's particularly mental with the ratio set to all. I love the high low filters too and the parallel feature. Oh man, this could do so much for my music. Do you use it in your Master section too or mainly as an insert? You sold it to me dude, thanks! :D

pjeudy

01 Dec 2015

XysteR wrote: Do you use it in your Master section too or mainly as an insert? You sold it to me dude, thanks! :D
I use it on anything
Individual drums...individual synth....instrument buss, Drum buss..Vocals, vocals buss...FX ..FX buss....on the master...on channels ..where ever I feel like. ZERO rules !! Good choice !

XysteR

01 Dec 2015

pjeudy wrote:
XysteR wrote: Do you use it in your Master section too or mainly as an insert? You sold it to me dude, thanks! :D
I use it on anything
Individual drums...individual synth....instrument buss, Drum buss...on the master...on channels ..where ever I feel like. ZERO rules !! Good choice !
I've just been trying it on synths and some meaty 808 subs I've made. I totally love it! I think my favourite Re I've bought during this sale. Thanks again pjeudy it's awesome! :D

I need to sleep but i'm too excited haha!

• Information