With RV7000mkII, what reverbs do I still need?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
marcuswitt

30 Nov 2015

JerrelTheKing wrote:Speaking of RP Verb, is it as similar to verb in Predator as the DR-1 is to Antidote?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

No, RP Verb is goes far beyound what you can do with either Predator's or Antidote's iternal Reverb effects. I don't fin RP Verb to sound 'natural', but it has its own character that I like.

JerrelTheKing

30 Nov 2015

@marcuswitt thanks. I trialed it when it first came out but got busy and had no time to really play with it.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

K1TTENM1TTEN

30 Nov 2015

Reverbs are truly my favorite "effect" on the market. Whether it is an analog or digital unit, physical or modeled, reverb has always intrigued me. As such, I do happen to own most of the ones from Reason's RE arsenal (albeit sans the Numerical Sound options, as they are a bit out of my budget to "collect them all." I would certainly love to own them all to thoroughly test them against the available options out there if I ever had the chance/opportunity though, haha). That being said, everyone hears their "perfect reverb" a bit differently, but here's my two cents, for what it's worth.

Softube's TSAR-1R - It is great, but it is limited. The TSAR engine is a tremendously powerful engine that adds some truly life-giving reverb to even the dullest of tracks. The TSAR-1R lacks some editing options that really come in handy when trying to control and shape the room. This being said, I would save (or splurge) on the bigger brother, the TSAR-1. It is an absolute go-to for anything acoustic/real (basically anything but synths) - vocals, acoustic guitar, drums, pianos, and almost any sampled instrument (where I was truly blown away by the TSAR-1 is when I added it to Bitley's Koto sample in the Fairlight Platinum Refill; the reverb truly made a sample from nearly 30 years ago sound like the real thing). Being able to tame the room is absolutely worth the extra money. The lack of adjustments of the TSAR-1R feels like my hands are tied behind my back in the overall mix. But the TSAR-1 and TSAR-1R simply sound... clean, rich, and realistic. The downside to this purity is that the TSAR has a very difficult (*cough* impossible) time sounding like an effect, it always sounds like a mastering-quality tool. It won't get crazy, it won't get weird, it is simply creates fantastic sounding "spaces." It just dials into great-sounding reverb instantly, and it is truly hard to come up with a bad sounding patch with this one.

Synapse's DR-1 - To me, this is not a very "realistic" sounding reverb, but it does sound great as an "effect" reverb for synths, pianos, etc. This reverb offers some fatness/thickness that admittedly the TSARs do not have from the get-go. But, truth be told, this reverb is IDENTICAL to the reverb effect found in Antidote. Same dials, same sounds, same everything pretty much. I ran the same recorded piano track through Antidote in one sequence, and then through the DR-1 in another, and could not find any distinguishable difference between the two. This being said, it is a great choice, and for $20 it is certainly a nice one to have in the stockpile to pull out on electric leads, washy pianos, and ambient pads.

Rob Papen's RP-Verb - Simply put, the demo songs for this product suck. Badly. I almost never would have bothered demoing this thing had it not been on sale last year at the same price. But I am glad my curiosity and reverb-collecting-impulsiveness made me click on this one. Oh my goodness, this is one powerful (and at times unwieldy) reverb unit. In terms of hardware equivalents, this is the closet reverb I have come across in the Rack Extension realm that can nearly pull off Strymon's Big Sky reverb engine (Haven't heard of it? Go check it out!). This is definitely much more of an "effect" reverb than a "real" one, despite how many options and knobs this thing has to add variation and walls inside of a room. That being said, this thing can get absolutely massive, fat, thick, and eery within 7 seconds of playing with the knobs. This reverb also adds a few nice varieties of reverb that are not convential, such as their "space" and "storm" reverbs. The other add-ins of this reverb, such as the Ensemble (aka Sparkle/Shimmer in the guitar pedal world) are a nice touch, as well as the distortion. The gates are solid and the EQ being able to be switched between Pre/Post reverb is the icing on the cake. This is a beast on anything ambient related, but that being said, it is not a go-to for a typical mix. Best used for on electric guitarists going for that Sigur Ros/Andy Othling vibe, turning Rhodes into sultry pads, and adding some dirt and ambiance to a mix.

Synapse's Fat Space - IMHO, just like the cake, the name of this unit is a lie, this is not "fat" at all. It can't be pushed nearly as "far" as the description makes this thing sound. Instead, it is a very smooth and subtle reverb that adds field depth without adding the heavy mid-tones if that makes sense. Honestly, I tend to think of this reverb as more of a complimentary reverb that pairs nicely with any of the other reverbs listed above. It is one not to use by itself, unless if you are wanting a rather shallow-feeling reverb experience. But throw this reverb after a DR-1 or TSAR-1 and you now have a very capable and very lush reverb. I find this unit best used on vocals, pianos, and drums (but again, it is typically best paired with something to bring out the mids in a reverb, unless light is what you are going for).

Unfiltered Audio's Renoun - Admittedly this one never really "wow"ed me. It's not bad, it is pretty solid, but with RV7000 MK2 and the near infinite amount of free impulses out there it feels like the Renoun may struggle a bit to make its name in the "must haves" in my racks. It is not a thick reverb, but feels more at home between the RV7000 and the DR-1. There are a couple of different things that do make this reverb a bit more unique though, one of which is the modulation ability. I felt like mentioning this one as it is currently $15. Again, this is not a "bad" sounding reverb, but I feel like now with the RV7000 MK2's new capabilities this one may end up in the closet for a bit. This thing does shines nicely on electric guitar chains and synths.

TL:DR - I would honestly suggest splurging on the TSAR-1, NOT the TSAR-1R. The magic of this RE cannot be created with the RV7000 MK2. The RP-Verb is also a very good buy. Both of these are on my "cannot be without" list of REs. For your music, if mostly live instruments, the TSAR-1 will be an invaluable tool that will totally change your mix.

joeyluck

30 Nov 2015

K1TTENM1TTEN wrote:Reverbs are truly my favorite "effect" on the market. Whether it is an analog or digital unit, physical or modeled, reverb has always intrigued me. As such, I do happen to own most of the ones from Reason's RE arsenal (albeit sans the Numerical Sound options, as they are a bit out of my budget to "collect them all." I would certainly love to own them all to thoroughly test them against the available options out there if I ever had the chance/opportunity though, haha).
Now with RV7000 MkII you can probably just purchase the impulse responses from Numerical Sound.
Not sure what the price difference is and what packages they offer that are similar... But I would much rather go that route in order to have much more flexibility when working with them.

Emian

30 Nov 2015

i can't believe i'm the first to mention uhbik's A, but in some cases i get reverb sounds out of that one i don't get from Antidote or Rv7000 ...

the plate reverbs are great on the uhbik, i tend to use it most on percussion sounds or staccato synth-sounds ....

Disclaimer; i have no experience with RPverb or AD480 or FatSpace ...

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

K1TTENM1TTEN

30 Nov 2015

joeyluck wrote:Now with RV7000 MkII you can probably just purchase the impulse responses from Numerical Sound.
Not sure what the price difference is and what packages they offer that are similar... But I would much rather go that route in order to have much more flexibility when working with them.
That is actually part of the large reason I have not been able to spend the money on them - I feel that because the RV7000 MK2 can use convolution impulses, the Numerical Sound REs lose a bit of their "special" feature that they bring to the table; offering a refill of these impulses might serve Numerical Sound in a nice way to get some money for their solid impulse sets. With nearly infinite amounts of high quality impulses available all over the internet for free (or next-to-nothing) the convolution reverb-based REs are not too appealing at $40 a pop on sale, especially for mostly testing purposes.

mbfrancis

01 Dec 2015

@K1TTENM1TTEN thanks so much for the in-depth generous response...great stuff!
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

tronam

01 Dec 2015

I'm intrigued by Synapse Fat Space. It's one of the most narrowly specific reverbs in the Prop shop, but makes it so easy to dial in useful room/ambience without artifacts or mud. I suppose this is exactly the kind of reverb that RV7000mk2 should be able to replace with the right impulse responses.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

gak

01 Dec 2015

Only one way to be sure....buy them all.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

03 Dec 2015

pjeudy wrote: Tsar-1r I highly commander also because of 2 reasons
1. It's the only true stereo reverb available
2. it's now 29 bucks!!(...)
This is not entirely correct. First Rv7000Mk2 convolution mode is fully stereo.

Second, AD480 is also full stereo, and has control over cross feed behavior, and also can work as a dual mono reverb. It's a more cold reverb than Tsar-1, but easily breakable with an eq.

If you like more coloured reverbs, i really like how Uhbik A works with pianos. I feel it gives a nice wooden tone for pianos and vocal, special in the plate patches. People complain about issues at sample rates over 44.1, but that's my default working setting so... i've never had problems.

IMHO, the worst problem (well maybe it is not RV7000's fault) about the convolution mode, is that you will spend more time searching for IR's for your project. So its nice to have something that you say "this" reverb will work great on this. Tsar 1/Uhbik A/AD480 etc... all will have a specific character that you will relate and get quicker than loose your self on IR's. Except if you are really tidy and find specific things, like IR's for Lexicon, or TC Electronic, and such...
Last edited by mcatalao on 03 Dec 2015, edited 1 time in total.

pjeudy

03 Dec 2015

mcatalao wrote:
pjeudy wrote: Tsar-1r I highly commander also because of 2 reasons
1. It's the only true stereo reverb available
2. it's now 29 bucks!!(...)
Aah forgot about the AD480 thanks and I didn't even try it before the sale ended...tanks for the reminder!!!
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

K1TTENM1TTEN

03 Dec 2015

pjeudy wrote:Aah forgot about the AD480 thanks and I didn't even try it before the sale ended...tanks for the reminder!!!
I've been pretty impressed with AD480 to be honest, it's kind of a sleeper device. The price, on sale, seems so far to be well justified (I think it was like $35?). Although I understand that it got the reputation as the "poor man's TSAR-1" I don't believe that is the case as they both sound very different, to me anyway. One thing that is super nice with the AD480 is that you can cut the mud out from the bottom-end, or remove the metallic sound from the high-end, very easily. TSAR-1 is still my immediate go-to for quality non-effect driven reverb, but AD480 is growing on me a bit with the ability to peg those Coldplay-eqsue piano reverbs without too much fuss. I also found that AD 480 pairs very nicely with Le Space, both of which if they go on sale again I would highly recommend that you check out next time. :D

JoshuaPhilgarlic

03 Dec 2015

mbfrancis wrote:
eXode wrote:I think that Rob Papen's reverb is fantastic.
Thanks...for what?
Well, I don't know eXode's reason, but mine is this:

RPVerb is the most flexible reverb in Reason I think. It provides options that other reverbs don't offer. For instance you get independent controls for every aspect of reverb: early reflections, reverb, and "the end of all of it" (called "late reflections"). And they are not connected in series by default like in most other devices - No! - you can select instead, if they are handled separately or feed the next module. And don't forget the modulation options! Endless possibilities...

I never used RPVerb's full potential (I mostly use it for early reflection stuff), but one day perhaps, I'll need the option to modulate a parameter with the input signal :D ...

• Information