With RV7000mkII, what reverbs do I still need?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
mbfrancis

28 Nov 2015

Looking closely at the DR-1 and the Tsar-1R this weekend, plus a lot of love here for Fat Space. I'm wondering, now that we have convolution, what reverbs do we really need now? I do mostly organic indie, rock, and pop. But I do electro stuff for libraries, love chillwave, etc. Feels like I should be good w/ the RV7000mkII, but wondering what RE reverb is indispensable to you, and for what?
Thanks!
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

pjeudy

28 Nov 2015

mbfrancis wrote:Looking closely at the DR-1 and the Tsar-1R this weekend, plus a lot of love here for Fat Space. I'm wondering, now that we have convolution, what reverbs do we really need now? I do mostly organic indie, rock, and pop. But I do electro stuff for libraries, love chillwave, etc. Feels like I should be good w/ the RV7000mkII, but wondering what RE reverb is indispensable to you, and for what?
Thanks!
Tough questions!
For me, I love the reverb on Antidote....I use instances of Antidote just for that! But for 19 bucks..DR1 I will get.
Tsar-1r I highly commander also because of 2 reasons
1. It's the only true stereo reverb available
2. it's now 29 bucks!!
Many people know that yea..you can turn RVK into a stereo reverb..but sometimes it's cool to just have the one device to deal with, without the need to modulate 2 sets of parameters on 2 devices.

But the real truth is ..if one can afford to have all 3 ...DR1-TSAR-RV7K MK2 *...then that would be the better choice ..simply because each of these reverb will offer you different characteristics.

For example...to me I can get much better and lush long tail reverb from Antidote's reverb then I can with the $200 TSAR-1. Then again TSAR-1 will give you a better or more Authentic stereo room reverb then Antidote. *this is of course all subjective*
And neither TSAR or DR1 offer you any sort of convolution options!!!!

So if you have the cash I would get both DR1 and TSAR-1R ! if your mixing in the Box mostly then it's a good idea to have a variety of tools in that box :thumbs_up:
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

eXode

28 Nov 2015

I think that Rob Papen's reverb is fantastic.

mbfrancis

28 Nov 2015

eXode wrote:I think that Rob Papen's reverb is fantastic.
Thanks...for what?
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

MDTerps2015

28 Nov 2015

mbfrancis wrote:
Thanks...for what?
I think its awesome too. I go to that more often than any other one.
Last edited by MDTerps2015 on 29 Nov 2015, edited 1 time in total.
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

MDTerps2015

28 Nov 2015

mbfrancis wrote:
Thanks...for what?
Last edited by MDTerps2015 on 29 Nov 2015, edited 2 times in total.
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

mbfrancis

29 Nov 2015

Right...for what is it awesome? What do you use it on?

shredmiyagi

29 Nov 2015

Sooo....

Any thoughts on OP's post? :?

I don't own R8/mk2 yet, still on 7 ... figured I'd spend money on RE's this weekend... but I held off on reverbs. With how editable the original RV7000 already is, and imagining it with convolution options... and some of the reverbs built into synths (Antidote)... I want some more zany verb options, but I feel like they'll mostly be covered once I upgrade Reason.

Fat Space seems interesting as an alternative verb and I played with it for a long time; I like it, but I feel the price is steep for what it is, even after 50% off. Sounds cool with the decay set to a normal diagonal line... a very 'natural' room reverb... it sounds neat with the breathing/gate effect... but as the effect, after bypassing it, I couldn't tell if it was enhancing my sounds or making it sound weird. I dunno. I'll max out this trial and maybe think about it next year. Might change my mind tomorrow, got a bit of ear fatigue after this Black Friday madness.

All the other reverbs were cool that I trailed: DR-1, TSAR, RP... but again, in the list of REs, I'd place reverbs last at the moment. I felt I had to put my money toward some synths first. Antidote and Vecto are pretty loaded with effects... You can get a Papen synth for $20-30 more than Fat Space (original-sale price), to put it into perspective.

boobytrap

29 Nov 2015

absolutely you don't need any reverb RE. RV 7000MKII is more than enough. even a delay RE. Echo also HI END device.
but you do need a EQ like GQ-7. coz m-class is !@#$. and compressor RE too
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

Yonatan

29 Nov 2015

What are the pros and kons with the GQ-7? Am on the pence with that one. Tempting, but need some advice.

About reverb, we have alot! I lately have start using the reverb send effect with Synchronous.

Makis

29 Nov 2015

I still wish for something like Valhalla, Breeze or Eareverb 2.
RV7000 is good for some stuff but the algorithms show their age.

Makis

29 Nov 2015

Yonatan wrote:What are the pros and kons with the GQ-7? Am on the pence with that one. Tempting, but need some advice.

About reverb, we have alot! I lately have start using the reverb send effect with Synchronous.
My main issue with GQ-7 is that I constantly have to reach for the Q knob. It would be nice to just scroll the mouse wheel for the Q.

tibah

29 Nov 2015

Some decent, easy to use algorithmic reverb, that you can throw into a project at any given moment, for that sound / ease of use / you name it. ;)

ljekio

29 Nov 2015

Heh, with RV7k2 can take impulse from any reverb and use it as native.
Example TSAR-1 is very hungry for CPU and for slower laptop I can replace it with RV7k2 after create impulse from TSAR-1.

normen

29 Nov 2015

Convolution Reverb can't capture modulated reverb tails. E.g. Lexicon reverbs are famous for their long lush reverb tails and impulse responses don't capture that very well because a few parameters like reflection times etc. are modulated.

doctecazoid

29 Nov 2015

I mainly lean on TSAR-1 and FatSpace. The two in combination make for one of the best room reverb chains around.

TSAR-1: Short Reverb, emphasis on early reflections over reverb, mixed more dry than wet (30/70 or so). Route into FatSpace & dial in the room size/contour and dry/wet mix to taste.

Mauricio Duarte

29 Nov 2015

RV7000 is just awesome and enough for me. And I also have the UAD Lexicon 224 and analog one in the studio.

edit: 224....

satyr32

29 Nov 2015

DR-1 is a must in my opinion. Instant lush reverb. I also have RP-Verb which has the most parameters of all reverbs, I did not regret buying it. The Softtube reverb is indeed also nice, but CPU usage is too high so I would pass on this one depending on your computer.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

pjeudy

29 Nov 2015

Makis wrote:
Yonatan wrote:What are the pros and kons with the GQ-7? Am on the pence with that one. Tempting, but need some advice.

My main issue with GQ-7 is that I constantly have to reach for the Q knob. It would be nice to just scroll the mouse wheel for the Q.
Agreed! But keep in mind the Mclass is Extremely limited when compared with GQ7....the Mclass has no Mid/side only 4 bands ect...etc..

It's been a year since I've been using GQ7..... and I've never look back at the M c lass Eq
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

dana

29 Nov 2015

pjeudy wrote:
Makis wrote:

Agreed! But keep in mind the Mclass is Extremely limited when compared with GQ7....the Mclass has no Mid/side only 4 bands ect...etc..

It's been a year since I've been using GQ7..... and I've never look back at the M c lass Eq
GQ7 is the best EQ purchase i've made, second to Red Queen.

joeyluck

29 Nov 2015

Sales are awesome in the way they make us feel when we don't want to miss an opportunity!

I say (and this goes for any rack device/RE), if you haven't had time to fully use what you have (in this case; RV7000 MkII) take the time to do that. You can't really know what you need until you have really given time to what you have. The sales will come again.

If you had a handful of reverbs right now, would you know which one to reach for in certain applications?
Or would you likely still be reaching for a particular reverb? If you still have trials left, try and use those.

A good tip for when you are trying something, such as an effect...
Export your own comparison audio clips, so in case you don't rush to buy now, you'll have them to reference during the next sale.

That said, out of the ones mentioned here, I think RP-Verb stands out. It is unique and feature-packed.
And as always, Rob Papen delivers with a ton of well-crafted presets tailored and organized for different applications. For instance, a preset for timpani sounds excellent on timpani.

jonheal

29 Nov 2015

The RV7000 is obviously very feature-packed. I also really don't know how to use it very well. For a easy-to-configure reverb that sounds good to me, I am thinking about getting the TSAR-IR before the sale ends.

On thing I don't like about the RV7000 is that it cuts the gain so much. But I just realized I can tack a Selig Gain after it and boost it back to a pleasing volume without having to max out the mixer fader. Or am I doing something wrong here ... ?
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

geronimo

29 Nov 2015

For the Reverb choice in promotion, it"s very correct .

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ad-480-reverb/

XysteR

30 Nov 2015

geronimo wrote:For the Reverb choice in promotion, it"s very correct .

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ad-480-reverb/

I really like this. insta-buy for me!

JerrelTheKing

30 Nov 2015

Speaking of RP Verb, is it as similar to verb in Predator as the DR-1 is to Antidote?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

• Information