Problems with MicroTune

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Phantom Fingers

25 Nov 2015

anybody else encounter this problem with MicroTune: When I connect any Reason instrument into it, it does this thing where it skitters sort of. Like say if I'm playing a dulcimer, it will add another repeat of the note I just played once I let go off the Midi keyboard, and this makes it difficult to play several notes quickly in arpeggiating fashion because it gets garbled or something by the information received and soft mutes some of the notes. Its really annoying because I want the sounds to go fluidly as if actually playing a piano or similar. And with strings and organs and other sounds with sustaining properties, it sort of this but also blends notes together and sustains them unexpectedly. Sometimes I like this effect and use it, other times again, i just want the normal fluidity. Can someone help with this? Thank you.

jonheal

25 Nov 2015

I see something like what you might be talking about. If I press a key on the MIDI keyboard, and then hold it down while I press another. And then release the second note but not the first, the first note fires again even though I did not release the key.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

Joerg

26 Nov 2015

I don't know the microtune but remember that Gate/Note are monophonic. Since you are not arpeggiating properly, and that the following note starts before you have released the 1st key you will probably get some unwanted results. Make sure, that every keystroke is finished before you hit the next key. Microtune works with pitchbend, so you have to to be aware that a triggered note will probably affect any fading sound of a former played key.
Thats just theoretical considerations; I don't have the Microtune.

jonheal

26 Nov 2015

Thank you. I was not aware of the monophonic gate/CV property. That helps explain things.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

satyr32

26 Nov 2015

Phantoms Fingers, in case you dont know yet, there is a bug:
If you go in with CV Note, the CV Note Out spits out wrong notes. Never use the Note Out.
Solution (e.g. you use Matrix, MIcrotune and Thor): Split the Matrix CV Note Signal with Spider. One goes into the Microtune the other directly into Thor. Do not use the Note Out of Microtune.
Somewhere in this thread it is explained:
http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php ... 273#p35508
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

ray_t

12 Sep 2016

Been trying to use Microtune in a polyphonic context and the only way I know of is to use something like the Distributor, Charlotte or A-19.
It seems there's a bug in the CV IN of Microtune cause only when I use the CV in (to connect Distributor and the like to microtune) the scale gets messed up. What happens specifically is that G and Ab have the same pitch on one octave, Eb and E get the same pitch on the next octave, same for B and C on the subsequent octave. The pattern is is that all these notes are half-steps apart and the repetition occurs in 5ths! It's pretty strange and can't figure out what's going on.
Any ideas?
I attached the file (with Charlotte).
Attachments
microtune issue.zip
(142 Bytes) Downloaded 79 times

Loque

12 Sep 2016

If you check the CV note data of a poly signal in a scope it looks pretty weird in some cases. Use mono only or create a poly setup with Distributor. I have seen several plugins struggling with this.
Reason12, Win10

ray_t

12 Sep 2016

Loque wrote:If you check the CV note data of a poly signal in a scope it looks pretty weird in some cases. Use mono only or create a poly setup with Distributor. I have seen several plugins struggling with this.
Thanks Loque. Well I have tried a poly setup with Distributor. Same thing. What's weird is how some notes are repeated and in a specific pattern, even when I only play mono and make the number of voices (from the distributor) to be 1.
The fact that there's a specific pattern makes it seem like it's a bug in the CV In. I have tried reaching out to Ochen K through his website but never heard back, I just figured he shared an email in this forum so I sent to that and hopefully I'll hear back soon.

Loque

12 Sep 2016

ray_t wrote:
Loque wrote:If you check the CV note data of a poly signal in a scope it looks pretty weird in some cases. Use mono only or create a poly setup with Distributor. I have seen several plugins struggling with this.
Thanks Loque. Well I have tried a poly setup with Distributor. Same thing. What's weird is how some notes are repeated and in a specific pattern, even when I only play mono and make the number of voices (from the distributor) to be 1.
The fact that there's a specific pattern makes it seem like it's a bug in the CV In. I have tried reaching out to Ochen K through his website but never heard back, I just figured he shared an email in this forum so I sent to that and hopefully I'll hear back soon.
Well, yes, that is my experience with him and his RE too...
Thats why i wont buy anymore from him, well at least as all known bugs are fixed...
Reason12, Win10

ljekio

12 Sep 2016

ray_t wrote:Been trying to use Microtune in a polyphonic context and the only way I know of is to use something like the Distributor, Charlotte or A-19.
It seems there's a bug in the CV IN of Microtune cause only when I use the CV in (to connect Distributor and the like to microtune) the scale gets messed up. What happens specifically is that G and Ab have the same pitch on one octave, Eb and E get the same pitch on the next octave, same for B and C on the subsequent octave. The pattern is is that all these notes are half-steps apart and the repetition occurs in 5ths! It's pretty strange and can't figure out what's going on.
Any ideas?
I wrote message about this bug when PUF was live, but I haven't any answers.

Btw, you can use Zvork SL-1 as microtuner.

ray_t

13 Sep 2016

ljekio wrote:
ray_t wrote:Been trying to use Microtune in a polyphonic context and the only way I know of is to use something like the Distributor, Charlotte or A-19.
Any ideas?
I wrote message about this bug when PUF was live, but I haven't any answers.

Btw, you can use Zvork SL-1 as microtuner.
ljekio, didn't know about Zvork SL-1. Could you share a file where it is acting as a microtuner? I downloaded the trial version but I have no idea how it works.
thanks.

ray_t

13 Sep 2016

ljekio, thank you so much for sharing, SL-1 works nicely as a microtuner but what I need is polyphony so it's still not happening.

By the way, I've been noticing a lot of confusing about the Arabic scale (mainly due to the very popular scala files) but the preset scales are not the real thing (at least the ones I know of). If the scale in the file you shared is set as such on purpose then disregard this message, otherwise I attached a simple C Rast, kind of like the major mode where you can start from the second degree (called Bayat) and third degree (called Siga). First degree is Rast. Play only on the white notes and you'll get the sound. Only E and B are microtuned and the other notes are equally tempered.
Attachments
Ljekio's Microtuner (C rast).zip
(168 Bytes) Downloaded 97 times

ljekio

13 Sep 2016

Thank you for your interest and patch.
I dont remember where I found it scale, but it was simply example for demonstration, no more.
Polyphonic scaling in the Reason much difficult task, but it can be solved through MIDI to Poly aggregators (A-19, Distributor, Charlotte, ModPanel) and connection with some similar mono synths like one poly synth

8cros

13 Sep 2016

ray_t wrote:ljekio, thank you so much for sharing, SL-1 works nicely as a microtuner but what I need is polyphony so it's still not happening.

By the way, I've been noticing a lot of confusing about the Arabic scale (mainly due to the very popular scala files) but the preset scales are not the real thing (at least the ones I know of). If the scale in the file you shared is set as such on purpose then disregard this message, otherwise I attached a simple C Rast, kind of like the major mode where you can start from the second degree (called Bayat) and third degree (called Siga). First degree is Rast. Play only on the white notes and you'll get the sound. Only E and B are microtuned and the other notes are equally tempered.
For polyphony there are several interesting solutions.
There are two main ways: for temperament and not tempered.
If your system has a temperament you can change the number of cents per key.
If not, then the more likely this video will help you.

Record For The Real Force
REASON RESONANCES

8cros

13 Sep 2016

If you are interested in creating a template for NNXT, I can tell you how to create such a preset. (fast create)
Record For The Real Force
REASON RESONANCES

Faastwalker

14 Sep 2016

I've had these problems as well. I think it's limitations of how this thing can work with CV & the way it adjusts pitch to change notes. Works better as a mono device. I did a poly set-up where I ended up with 4 synths & 4 Microtunes to get around this. Probably a more elegant solution (see above). Cool little device though but it doesn't really work very well in Reason as it is. I'm hoping for a micro tonal 'Block' device in the future. It's fun playing around with this stuff. Very inspired by this;

https://www.residentadvisor.net/reviews/19093

ray_t

14 Sep 2016

8cros wrote:If you are interested in creating a template for NNXT, I can tell you how to create such a preset. (fast create)
Thanks for suggesting, of course I wouldn't mind trying the template and see if it would solve my problem.

ray_t

14 Sep 2016

Faastwalker wrote:I've had these problems as well. I think it's limitations of how this thing can work with CV & the way it adjusts pitch to change notes. Works better as a mono device. I did a poly set-up where I ended up with 4 synths & 4 Microtunes to get around this. Probably a more elegant solution (see above). Cool little device though but it doesn't really work very well in Reason as it is. I'm hoping for a micro tonal 'Block' device in the future. It's fun playing around with this stuff. Very inspired by this;

https://www.residentadvisor.net/reviews/19093
Yes I find it very strange how the audio production world is still behind in microtonal music facilities, it's so essential yet very complicated with midi.
Thanks for the link, I really dig the music and the vibes.

bidaar

15 May 2021

Loque wrote:
12 Sep 2016
ray_t wrote: Thanks Loque. Well I have tried a poly setup with Distributor. Same thing. What's weird is how some notes are repeated and in a specific pattern, even when I only play mono and make the number of voices (from the distributor) to be 1.
Thats why i wont buy anymore from him, well at least as all known bugs are fixed...
hey Loque , I kinda wanted to buy Microtune , is there a problem with it , or its just the Mono/poly stuff that can be handles with Distributor ? can you let me know because I dont want to get into a block after I buy it thanks
Reason 11 Suite l FL Studio l Leaning Ableton n Bitwig l Windows 10 64bit
Trying and Learning to be a : Hip-Hop / Trap , Electronic & Experimental Producer l Mixing Engineer

Loque

15 May 2021

bidaar wrote:
15 May 2021
Loque wrote:
12 Sep 2016

hey Loque , I kinda wanted to buy Microtune , is there a problem with it , or its just the Mono/poly stuff that can be handles with Distributor ? can you let me know because I dont want to get into a block after I buy it thanks
I don't have it. I can only comment on the
Devices i have and know the bugs or the bugs talked about. So all info is here and you should try it.
Reason12, Win10

bidaar

15 May 2021

Loque wrote:
15 May 2021
bidaar wrote:
15 May 2021

Devices i have and know the bugs or the bugs talked about. So all info is here and you should try it.
I can see what they are saying , when I hold a triad chord and then leave the keys , another note is triggered meaning you hear a chord when pushing the keys and another when releasing the keys , which I think happened to all of us before when a synth is on mono or retrig I think , so I should try Distributor and check if that solves it , do you know should set em up?
Reason 11 Suite l FL Studio l Leaning Ableton n Bitwig l Windows 10 64bit
Trying and Learning to be a : Hip-Hop / Trap , Electronic & Experimental Producer l Mixing Engineer

MrFigg
Competition Winner

15 May 2021

bidaar wrote:
15 May 2021
Loque wrote:
15 May 2021

I can see what they are saying , when I hold a triad chord and then leave the keys , another note is triggered meaning you hear a chord when pushing the keys and another when releasing the keys , which I think happened to all of us before when a synth is on mono or retrig I think , so I should try Distributor and check if that solves it , do you know should set em up?
Microtune can only tune one note at a time because it works using the pitch bend. You can’t play chords even if you use Distributor.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Bes
Competition Winner

15 May 2021

you should be able to play chords with distributor but you require one microtune for each synth
- Certified Reason expert

MrFigg
Competition Winner

15 May 2021

Bes wrote:
15 May 2021
you should be able to play chords with distributor but you require one microtune for each synth
Aa. Yeah. I remember now.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information