Morphing effect

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Lov2sing

24 Nov 2015

Is there a RE that does morphing or the morphing effect?
We make music for a reason

EpiGenetik

24 Nov 2015

Ahem,ahem,,,kvaaard...sorry about that :)

Please give a little more detail as to what you mean by morphing?

EpiGenetik

24 Nov 2015

Before I disappear, I'm going to take a wild guess that this is what you're after - works best when used in conjunction with a Combinator :)

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/volt-sl-1/

East Island

24 Nov 2015

A Controle Freak. Loves Logic&Reason&Luna ;) , remote controllers.
https://soundcloud.com/east-island

Lov2sing

24 Nov 2015

:puf_wink: Thanks it's close but with out the video. :D What I am trying to achieve is as I press on the keys that the after sound becomes a different sound.

EpiGenetik

24 Nov 2015

Right, that could mean a few different things. Aftertouch is if you hold the keys and apply pressure to get the morph behaviour, or possibly the release setting, either polyphonic or monophonic.

Either way what you want isn't a device as such but a common feature on most modern synths/samplers.

selig
RE Developer

24 Nov 2015

You can easily crossfade between two different sounds/patches/samples, but it's not at all "morphing". The difference is that when you are at the 50% point with crossfading you are hearing TWO sounds. When you are at the 50% with morphing you are still hearing one sound, but one sound that shares it's qualities 50/50 with another.

One place you really hear the difference is when there is a tuning difference, however slight, between two sounds that are being crossfaded. At the 50% point you hear a chorusing effect due to the detuning which is not a part of EITHER of the individual sounds. With morphing there would be no chorusing effect.

The problem is that morphing is much more difficult to achieve and is typically only a part of a re-synthesis or additive synthesis instrument. You can also have "patch morphing", which gets tricky when you have stepped patch parameters, and often doesn't give a 50/50 split of the sound at 50% because all parameters are not linear.

Deep topic, hope I explained the concepts - now back to the OP, which one are you looking for?
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

jonheal

24 Nov 2015

Total layman's analysis: It seems if you took the frequency spectrum of one sound and measured its values at various points. And then did the same with another sound, you could calculate a series of "interpolated" in-between frequency spectrum curves, resembling first one sound and then with each iteration, less resembling the first and more resembling the second sound. and then cycle through all of them in a sequence.

I wonder what this exercise in higher mathematics (Fourier transforms?) would sound like?
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

Lov2sing

24 Nov 2015

Emu had a morphing module along with the mo-phat and several other things back in the early nineties but I was hoping Reason had a device that mimic something similar. Is it possible to create a combinator that can do something close? If so what would it take?

East Island

25 Nov 2015

The morphing module from the Emu samplers is called z-plane filter
The RE with z-plane filter is https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... equalizer/
A Controle Freak. Loves Logic&Reason&Luna ;) , remote controllers.
https://soundcloud.com/east-island

Lov2sing

25 Nov 2015

:D That is one I never tried. The color red distorts my eyes (blinds me) therefore I did not even give it a chance. I will put shades on and try it. Thanks for the info everyone.

selig
RE Developer

25 Nov 2015

jonheal wrote:Total layman's analysis: It seems if you took the frequency spectrum of one sound and measured its values at various points. And then did the same with another sound, you could calculate a series of "interpolated" in-between frequency spectrum curves, resembling first one sound and then with each iteration, less resembling the first and more resembling the second sound. and then cycle through all of them in a sequence.

I wonder what this exercise in higher mathematics (Fourier transforms?) would sound like?
Taking the spectrum of sounds is on thing. Imposing it on another is totally different. You are basically talking about EQ here, and EQ can't transform one sound into another.
What you would need to do is analyze a sound then synthesize it with additive synthesis. Then do the same for another. Then use the data to create the morph. I've got an old idea for a synth that is actually based on this concept but it's quite advanced to make it work (and CPU extensive as well). One day...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Lov2sing

26 Nov 2015

So in theory it could be achieved it one sound was under the other sound just silent then would take the tale end of the sound as the other sound fades out. Okay other than making the additive synth could one sound be layered and delayed to mimic morphing by bringing the delayed sound out as the other sound decays? The new question how to have two sound generating simitinously to manipulate which one goes first or second? Thank you Mr Selig. I hope you make your synth soon. Cpu or no cpu its new technology and in my opinion it would be nice it could be done.

jfrichards

26 Nov 2015

I think there are many types of morphing. Here's a nice one from Ed Hydlide:

Joerg

27 Nov 2015

Oberon says it does. I didn't try it (yet)

Lov2sing

27 Nov 2015

That is a great device from Electric Panda; however I have spent all I can until the next sale. I will diffidently keep that on my wish list. Thanks!

• Information