UJAM's involvement with the A-List series

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
joeyluck

19 Nov 2015

So I'm familiar with UJAM having heard of them and used the service in the past. It's a music creation website founded by Peter Gorges, Has Zimmer, and Pharrell Williams. I was just checking out A-List guitarist Pop Chords and saw the note "powered by uJam." This is noted in the description of all of the A-List devices. I didn't notice this before. What does that mean exactly? Is this referring to the same UJAM?

craven

26 Nov 2015

any news on this? I wondered the same. Maybe Props use UJAM's proprietary SongCruncher technology (whatever that means) :)

About UJAM: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 24951.html

UJAM is a music technology platform aiming to become the #1 solution for consumers, services and applications looking for customizable music for music production, videos or other applications on web and mobile. Backed by music industry luminaries such as Oscar-awarded film composer Hans Zimmer and producer Pharrell Williams, UJAM's unique SongCruncher technology makes music easily customizable for professionals and consumers alike, while producing stunning professional results. Started in 2010, the company co-pioneered music production on the web.
:ugeek:

joeyluck

30 Nov 2015

For those interested, Peter Gorges replied to my question over at Rack Extensionists on Facebook:

• Hi Joey, thanks! Yes I can: We developed the instrument based on our IDT engine (which is also the basis of instruments like Hydronexius or Emotional Piano, and now our own Virtual Guitarist IRON) in collaboration with Propellerhead. Propellerhead provided guidance on issues like optimal platform compatibility, user expectations and other things - basically "making the instrument a true Propellerhead product".

joeyluck

30 Nov 2015

A video was released just a few days ago for Virtual Guitarist IRON:

This screenshots at 0:09 and 0:13 look somewhat familiar, yeah? :)
IRON-video1.png
IRON-video1.png (85.14 KiB) Viewed 3411 times
IRON-video.png
IRON-video.png (105.33 KiB) Viewed 3421 times
As you can see from my screenshot, I joined the 'light side' on Google lol :geek:

Anyways... Pretty cool stuff. I'm very happy with Pop Chords! Might consider Power chords... Although I get plenty done with the Shreddage ReFill...

joeyluck

30 Nov 2015

It's fun learning about stuff. I feel like I've been living under a rock lol
ujam-REs.png
ujam-REs.png (278 KiB) Viewed 3409 times

joeyluck

30 Nov 2015

So I'm not sure why much of this info isn't on the forefront of the Propellerhead Shop, aside from the small note at the bottom of the product pages 'powered by UJAM.'

I understand Propellerhead manages the product as their own, but knowing about involvement from the outside world is interesting and cool. To know that other big names and unique thinkers are working with the platform whether it's strictly business or they enjoy the platform (or both); it makes our somewhat small world seem bigger.

So what's the channel now I should take for bugging people for instruments like this?
Can we start bugging UJAM that we want a string instrument like Action Strings? ;)

Lov2sing

30 Nov 2015

So is this a whole new item or are you saying they developed the A-List guitarist series? Not to make waves but if they are the developer could we ask them to add items to the RE? Is that forbidden? Personally I like to be able to play single notes to lead into a chord. That gives the picking sound of Nashville.
We make music for a reason

joeyluck

30 Nov 2015

Lov2sing wrote:So is this a whole new item or are you saying they developed the A-List guitarist series? Not to make waves but if they are the developer could we ask them to add items to the RE? Is that forbidden? Personally I like to be able to play single notes to lead into a chord. That gives the picking sound of Nashville.
They developed A-List in collaboration with Propellerhead. That is a good question though; which was the one I raised about future products... I didn't ask that question. I'll inquire!

DNA Apocalypse

30 Nov 2015

nice! I love the fast disclaimer at the end of the video! rock time!!!
DNA-LABS-SOFTWARE.COM :reason: :refill: :re:

joeyluck

30 Nov 2015

DNA Apocalypse wrote:nice! I love the fast disclaimer at the end of the video! rock time!!!
Classic!

Peter Gorges

17 Dec 2015

Hi everyone, this is Peter from UJAM. I just happened to find this thread here today and wanted to thank you guys for the nice feedback on our stuff. If you have questions or suggestions for us, feel free to post them and I promise to take them seriously. I can't promise to answer all and everything to everybody's satisfaction though ;)

craven

17 Dec 2015

Peter Gorges wrote:Hi everyone, this is Peter from UJAM. I just happened to find this thread here today and wanted to thank you guys for the nice feedback on our stuff. If you have questions or suggestions for us, feel free to post them and I promise to take them seriously. I can't promise to answer all and everything to everybody's satisfaction though ;)
cool, thanks for chiming in. I have one question: is it possible to update the devices to choose the phrase via mouse click in addition to midi? I often use reason on the laptop and it would be nice to just cycle through different strumming styles using mouse controls.

Peter Gorges

17 Dec 2015

Hi craven - a technical limitation prevents us from doing this: a control in a Rack Extension can't be controlled both via MIDI a n d the mouse. As a workaround, you could use Reason's built-in on-screen keyboard (transpose it to cover the phrase octaves). This is actually what I do when I'm travelling!

eusti

17 Dec 2015

Hi Peter,

I see there is a speed button on the Iron device... (0.5x, 1x, 2x)

Is there a chance we could get this via updates as well?
As well, the demos sound terrific for Iron... Somehow more lively... Is this something it has over the Reason devices?

Thanks!

D.

joeyluck

17 Dec 2015

Peter Gorges wrote:Hi everyone, this is Peter from UJAM. I just happened to find this thread here today and wanted to thank you guys for the nice feedback on our stuff. If you have questions or suggestions for us, feel free to post them and I promise to take them seriously. I can't promise to answer all and everything to everybody's satisfaction though ;)
Thanks so much for chiming in! Great to have you here, Peter!
I had meant to send you a link here the first time I reached out to you. It appears I didn't. Glad you found it!
I'm really digging the interface of Virtual Guitarist Iron (particularly the top half) gives you a reference of where you are on the keyboard...and perhaps might lend itself to mouse selecting phrases as craven suggests? [EDIT] and just saw your previous reply about the current limitation with Rack Extensions and having something selectable via MIDI and mouse. However, still nice to have the reference on the interface :)

joeyluck

17 Dec 2015

eusti wrote:Hi Peter,

I see there is a speed button on the Iron device... (0.5x, 1x, 2x)

Is there a chance we could get this via updates as well?
As well, the demos sound terrific for Iron... Somehow more lively... Is this something it has over the Reason devices?

Thanks!

D.
On A-List there are phrases for half-time/double-time. Although this interface might make that selection more intuitive.

eusti

17 Dec 2015

joeyluck wrote:
On A-List there are phrases for half-time/double-time. Although this interface might make that selection more intuitive.
Right now we have Normal and Slow in Acoustic and double time in Pop Chords.

D.
Last edited by eusti on 17 Dec 2015, edited 1 time in total.

joeyluck

17 Dec 2015

eusti wrote:
joeyluck wrote:
Right now we have Normal and Slow. We don't have double time, as I understand it.

D.
Gotcha. I'd have to double check Power Chords, but I've been using Pop Chords a lot recently and it includes phrases for "HalfT" and "DoubleT"

eusti

17 Dec 2015

joeyluck wrote:
eusti wrote:
joeyluck wrote:
Right now we have Normal and Slow. We don't have double time, as I understand it.

D.
Gotcha. I'd have to double check Power Chords, but I've been using Pop Chords a lot recently and it includes phrases for "HalfT" and "DoubleT"
Double checked and edited my post: There is "slow" for Acoustic, "double time" (and occasionally "Half Time") for Pop Chords and "Hi" for Power Chords.

D.

Neko the Jaguar

17 Dec 2015

Lov2sing wrote:So is this a whole new item or are you saying they developed the A-List guitarist series? Not to make waves but if they are the developer could we ask them to add items to the RE? Is that forbidden? Personally I like to be able to play single notes to lead into a chord. That gives the picking sound of Nashville.
:thumbs_up:

joeyluck

17 Dec 2015

eusti wrote:
joeyluck wrote:
eusti wrote:
joeyluck wrote:

D.
Double checked and edited my post: There is "slow" for Acoustic, "double time" for Pop Chords and "Hi" for Power Chords.

D.
Cool. Well if there are any missing samples, perhaps it could be updated? As I mentioned, Pop Chords has HalfT in addition to the normal and DoubleT phrases.
I suppose one could also automate the BPM...although that might not make things as easy for other instrumentation in a piece.

craven

17 Dec 2015

Peter Gorges wrote:Hi craven - a technical limitation prevents us from doing this: a control in a Rack Extension can't be controlled both via MIDI a n d the mouse. As a workaround, you could use Reason's built-in on-screen keyboard (transpose it to cover the phrase octaves). This is actually what I do when I'm travelling!
Thanks for your fast reply!
yeah, that is also my workaround - do the melody first, then the phrase. I would have preferred to play the melody using the on screen keyboard while changing phrases with the mouse, though. Too bad there are technical limitations, I assumed this would be the issue.

eusti

17 Dec 2015

joeyluck wrote: Cool. Well if there are any missing sampes, perhaps it could be updated? As I mentioned, Pop Chords has HalfT in addition to the normal and DoubleT phrases.
I suppose one could also automate the BPM...although that might not make things as easy for other instrumentation in a piece.
Agreed. I would just love to have all options in all devices... There seem only certain phrases in Pop Chords that have HalfT / DoubleT...

D.

joeyluck

17 Dec 2015

:lightbulb:
eusti wrote:
joeyluck wrote: Cool. Well if there are any missing samples, perhaps it could be updated? As I mentioned, Pop Chords has HalfT in addition to the normal and DoubleT phrases.
Agreed. I would just love to have all options in all devices... There seem only certain phrases in Pop Chords that have HalfT / DoubleT...

D.
Indeed. Curious if the 0.5x and 2x options are selectable for every phrase with VG Iron. And if either Iron or Power Chords has more or less samples than the other. Is Iron's timing selections playing independent phrases, or is it simply adjusting the timing for one phrase? In any case, I think having the timing selection separate works nicely with the workflow and automation.

Peter Gorges

18 Dec 2015

Hi all, I can say this much: We have been considering that as soon as the dust has settled over the launch of VG IRON, we will be looking into updating the Rack Extensions, and some of the stuff you've been asking for above is on the list! Thanks for all the feedback!

• Information