Aurora Hybrid Synthesizer Final Preview

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Skrock
RE Developer

17 Nov 2015

Official Theme track!

Aurora Hybrid Synthesizer

Hi guys!

Aurora will be out soon, so I thought it would be a good idea tell you more about it. :puf_smile:

Aurora is a hybrid synthesizer.

Let’s explain the hybrid part:

In Aurora we have 3 oscillators with 8 waveforms each. These waveforms can be tweaked in various ways by a control called X-Mod.

X-Mod controls all the waveforms in a different way like so:

Sawtooth – Phase
Stepped – Shape
Square – Pulse Width
Saw Oct – Shape
Organ – Morph / From Sine-wave to different organs
Bitredux – Morph / Bit-reduced Saw, Sine, Triangle
String – Shape
Distort – Morph

Here we find some waveforms that can be tweaked like most modern waveforms. Like phase-shifting a Sawtooth, or tweaking the pulse-width of a square waveform. Others act like wave-shapers, and others like wavetables.

A few select other features:

Modulation:

Each oscillator also features its own Modulation Matrix. Therefore modulation settings made on Oscillator 1 only affects that oscillator. That includes modulations to Cutoff/Resonance. This allows for some unique sonic capabilities.

Sources available are:

– + – Constant (Handy for adding even more control to the oscillator.)
KBD – Key-follow
Velo – Velocity
Mwheel – Mod Wheel
LFO1 – Low Frequency Oscillator 1
LFO2 – Low Frequency Oscillator 2
LFO3 – Low Frequency Oscillator 3
LFO4 – Low Frequency Oscillator 4
ADSR1 – Envelope 1
ADSR2 – Envelope 2
ADSR3 – Envelope 3
ADSR4 – Envelope 4

Destinations available are:

OFF – Offline, No modulation
Amp – Oscillator Volume
Pan – Oscillator Panning
Pitch – Oscillator Pitch
X-Mod – Oscillator X-Mod
Cutoff – Oscillator Cutoff
Reso – Oscillator Resonance

---------

I've made a quick PDF file with more details: https://skrockmusicre.files.wordpress.c ... a-doc1.pdf

Release date: Currently In acceptance testing at PH
Last edited by Skrock on 17 Nov 2015, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.skrockmusic.com/
https://soundcloud.com/derekstrike
https://soundcloud.com/marcusbits
I make music in Reason using using Skrock synths and the creative tools from other developers!

selig
RE Developer

17 Nov 2015

That is a very clean and beautiful GUI right there! Can't wait to hear how it sounds.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

eusti

17 Nov 2015

Love the Theme Track! Will definitely test this one out in the future!

D.

riemac

17 Nov 2015

Is this based on IDT?

Skrock
RE Developer

17 Nov 2015

riemac wrote:Is this based on IDT?
Yes! :thumbs_up:
I make music in Reason using using Skrock synths and the creative tools from other developers!

riemac

17 Nov 2015

M.B wrote:
riemac wrote:Is this based on IDT?
Yes! :thumbs_up:
Thanks for the quick answer ;-)
This synth looks very promissing. I'm looking forward to try it out.

evolve187

17 Nov 2015

Nice looking synth. Will there be an introductory price? and can you say how much?

Thanks!
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

https://soundcloud.com/terry-wilson-music

joeyluck

17 Nov 2015

I like the look! But the blue dots/dashes around the knobs might be a bit misleading. They look like they would be LED knob location indicators—which would always be at full... I would suggest either less increments of the blue dashes or perhaps have them behave as LEDs...

selig
RE Developer

17 Nov 2015

joeyluck wrote:I like the look! But the blue dots/dashes around the knobs might be a bit misleading. They look like they would be LED knob location indicators—which would always be at full... I would suggest either less increments of the blue dashes or perhaps have them behave as LEDs...
My eyes didn't see it that way, but it could be I was looking at those bright white lines indicating the knob's position. Plus, the blue dots match the blue trim nicely.

I'm not saying I totally disagree with you, just that for one, there are no REs with LED rings (it's not possible), and for another they relate to the rest of the interface.

The solution would be to make them white to match the text, but I'm not 100% sure it's even necessary. Certainly wouldn't kill the vibe if others think the blue dots are misleading.
Selig Audio, LLC

joeyluck

17 Nov 2015

selig wrote:
joeyluck wrote:I like the look! But the blue dots/dashes around the knobs might be a bit misleading. They look like they would be LED knob location indicators—which would always be at full... I would suggest either less increments of the blue dashes or perhaps have them behave as LEDs...
there are no REs with LED rings (it's not possible)
I was going to reference Kiloheart's One, but I see now that those are solid indications around the knobs and not incremental (such as LEDs).

Not a deal breaker for sure. And the white lines on the knobs of Aurora are pretty distinct. It's just that my brain wants to think the blue dashes around the knobs want to be something else. I wouldn't really have an issue programming it as is...

Benedict
Competition Winner

17 Nov 2015

Hi Marcus

I really like the new blue look and the theme track is really nice.

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Skrock
RE Developer

17 Nov 2015

Thanks! I haven't got much sleep, the GUI really had to feel right. I made the theme track yesterday after listening to my 80's theme playlist on spotify

selig
RE Developer

17 Nov 2015

joeyluck wrote:
selig wrote:
I was going to reference Kiloheart's One, but I see now that those are solid indications around the knobs and not incremental (such as LEDs).

Not a deal breaker for sure. And the white lines on the knobs of Aurora are pretty distinct. It's just that my brain wants to think the blue dashes around the knobs want to be something else. I wouldn't really have an issue programming it as is...
Sorry if I wasn't clear - an LED ring that mimics the position is certainly possible, but not what you see in his render: an LED ring that operates independently of the knob position. So all I was saying was that the render makes it clear it's not an LED ring because it's impossible for the LEDs to be at 100% when the knob is at 0%. Hope that's perfectly clear now! ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

decibel

17 Nov 2015

looking good, colour scheme works fine for me :)

Nirude

18 Nov 2015

Nice Demo song!!
I like to listen to Ed Starinks Synthesizer greatest (that old CD collection) from Spotify and this could be on those CDs :)
3d man.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

18 Nov 2015

joeyluck wrote:
selig wrote:

I'm not sure what you and Giles are refering to as "LEDs" in this scenario. In terms of offering additional position indication for the knob it's perfectly possible using at least two different techniques. OTTOMH my own Itsy and probably One, as shown above use one method, graphic animation, Hydronexius and Orange uses another, the LED approach. You can have as many LEDs as you like so long as it's sequential.

What's not possible is any kind of additional value (the lack of widget-in-widget ability).

I am curious though as to why this is a "Hybrid Synthesizer"?

joeyluck

18 Nov 2015

Sorry for the confusion on my part. I was saying that the blue around the knobs appears to me like LED position indication around knobs. They're bright blue and the increments are too small for me to use as a reference anyways. Selig was saying that it's not possible to have the knob position independent of something like LED indication, so it shouldn't be confused especially given the white lines on the knobs. I can understand that given that I'm the only one who seems to see this when I look at the image.

Majestik Monkey

18 Nov 2015

@ Jig , Maybe it's a . . . . . . Higher#Breed ! No apologies for my Mancunian Humour :puf_bigsmile:

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

18 Nov 2015

joeyluck wrote:Sorry for the confusion on my part. I was saying that the blue around the knobs appears to me like LED position indication around knobs. They're bright blue and the increments are too small for me to use as a reference anyways. Selig was saying that it's not possible to have the knob position independent of something like LED indication, so it shouldn't be confused especially given the white lines on the knobs. I can understand that given that I'm the only one who seems to see this when I look at the image.
Ah right! Yeah, widget-within-widget isn't possible as I said, which would be what Giles would be referring to regarding independent knob and LED marker positions - we can only do sequential.

I'm not seeing the blue markings as anything but markings, though!

It's a nice design. But the "Hybrid Synthesizer" tag is just baffling me. Is it there just because of "Zero Hybrid Synthesizer"? I'm not convinced any of these sampled instruments using IDT can ever be called a synthesizer - it's not synthesizing anything. That's why I didn't let DNA use it in Hydronexius ;)

selig
RE Developer

18 Nov 2015

JiggeryPokery wrote:
joeyluck wrote:Sorry for the confusion on my part. I was saying that the blue around the knobs appears to me like LED position indication around knobs. They're bright blue and the increments are too small for me to use as a reference anyways. Selig was saying that it's not possible to have the knob position independent of something like LED indication, so it shouldn't be confused especially given the white lines on the knobs. I can understand that given that I'm the only one who seems to see this when I look at the image.
Ah right! Yeah, widget-within-widget isn't possible as I said, which would be what Giles would be referring to regarding independent knob and LED marker positions - we can only do sequential.

I'm not seeing the blue markings as anything but markings, though!

It's a nice design. But the "Hybrid Synthesizer" tag is just baffling me. Is it there just because of "Zero Hybrid Synthesizer"? I'm not convinced any of these sampled instruments using IDT can ever be called a synthesizer - it's not synthesizing anything. That's why I didn't let DNA use it in Hydronexius ;)
You are correct, I was referring to the "widget within a widget" limit that prohibits making real world things such as dual concentric knobs, knobs that are also switches when pressed, or LED rings that operate independently from the control they surround.

Just to entertain the "when is a synthesizer not a synthesizer" idea (not that I care all that much since it falls under the general heading of semantics): are wavetable instruments not also "synthesizers"? For the record, the only thing that's different with this device from an analog style synth is the oscillator section, right? Is it more accurate to call it a sampler (probably not since it can't sample), or a ROMpler (also probably not when compared to others in that category)?

Technically speaking, the word itself (with regards to instruments) roughly means to create a single or unified result from combining multiple processes (modules).
And finally, is a speech synthesizer also not a "synthesizer"?
Selig Audio, LLC

joeyluck

18 Nov 2015

Synthesize:

verb (used with object), synthesized, synthesizing.
1. to form (a material or abstract entity) by combining parts or elements (opposed to analyze )

verb
1. to combine or cause to combine into a whole

Synthesizer:

noun
1. a person or thing that synthesizes.
2. any of various electronic, sometimes portable consoles or modules, usually computerized, for creating, modifying, and combining tones or reproducing the sounds of musical instruments by controlling voltage patterns, operated by means of keyboards, joysticks, sliders, or knobs.

Skrock
RE Developer

19 Nov 2015

I'll quote myself from the OP

In Aurora we have 3 oscillators with 8 waveforms each. These waveforms can be tweaked in various ways by a control called X-Mod.

Sawtooth – Phase
Stepped – Shape
Square – Pulse Width
Saw Oct – Shape
String – Shape
Distort – Morph

Here we find some waveforms that can be tweaked like most modern waveforms. Like phase-shifting a Sawtooth, or tweaking the pulse-width of a square waveform. Others act like wave-shapers, and others like wavetables.
Now If the hybrid part is confusing, I might get rid of it. I appreciate the feedback.

Nautilus Bass Synthesizer
Orbis Wavetable Synthesizer
Aurora Hybrid Syntesizer

---

/Marcus

eusti

19 Nov 2015

M.B wrote:I'll quote myself from the OP

Sawtooth – Phase
Stepped – Shape
Square – Pulse Width
Saw Oct – Shape
String – Shape
Distort – Morph

Now If the hybrid part is confusing, I might get rid of it. I appreciate the feedback.

Nautilus Bass Synthesizer
Orbis Wavetable Synthesizer
Aurora Hybrid Syntesizer

---

/Marcus
I think that depends on how it sounds... It might be tough to wrap the head around in theory, but I hope that people will appreciate the options when they can try it with the actual synth in the rack...

D.

XysteR

20 Nov 2015

JiggeryPokery wrote:*SNIP*

Forgive my inexperience and lack of understanding, i'm not aware of how these Re instruments are constructed - I'm confused though, I assumed this was a synthesizer with it stating synthesizer in the name. Am I right to assume the waves for each oscillator are samples and not generated from what i'd probably call pixie dust? I've deliberately steered clear of this recent surge of sample based Re's. Even as nice as the sounds in Hydronexius are. It just looks too restricting - It feels a bit of a minefield for me when descriptions for certain sample based instruments use words like 'wave' (which my brain reads as wavetable) If I wanted something 'sample based' then i'd just buy a sample refill. Generally I just grind Antidote or Thor for what I want these days. As it is in my basic understanding that these are actual synthesizers? Well, given that I can start with a patch in Antidote and move so far away from that original sound they must be.

I just looked into this further before posting this. Am I right to assume that an emulated synthesizer can really only be called a synthesizer if the oscillator wave is actually generated with an algorithm? And if these Re's just use samples of a waveform then what does that mean for me?

eXode

21 Nov 2015

I think that 'Hybrid Synthesizer' is just fine.

A couple of similar instruments that to the best of my knowlege are referred to as (hybrid) synthesizers.

PPG Wave
SCI Prophet VS
Korg DW6000/8000
Kawai K3
Waldorf Wave/microWave
Ensoniq ESQ1/SQ80
OSCar

• Information