RE GUI Design.

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
eusti

16 Nov 2015

Lizard wrote: It looks like a Multi-FX chain to me. I don't think that routing is any more complicated than a series effect process from 1-6 allowing the user to change the effect type with an option of bypass (just guessing). As far as the patch loading it looks as though space is reserved however on the top. With this (suspected) type of device it would be silly to not have it. Wouldn't it? :D
Regarding the routing: I would think it goes from left to right... But I found that devices which let the user change the routing in some way more flexible instead of requiring to dial in a setting again in another module just because you want to know if it might better to use module 1's FX after module 2's FX...

D.

BassmentDSP

16 Nov 2015

Lizard wrote:
eusti wrote:Coming back to this: If it is a modular multi FX box, I'm missing some things along the lines of patch loading & module routing...
As well, if the FX are switchable and wanted to make it more "realistic" (as in hardware related) you could use displays for the parameters too... Maybe like this...
It looks like a Multi-FX chain to me. I don't think that routing is any more complicated than a series effect process from 1-6 allowing the user to change the effect type with an option of bypass (just guessing). As far as the patch loading it looks as though space is reserved however on the top. With this (suspected) type of device it would be silly to not have it. Wouldn't it? :D
Spot on!

This has turned into a gold mine of information! :thumbs_up:

I agree eusti, flexible routing is a necessity for the device to be considered versatile.

Basically my philosophy during development was to make it sort of like a guitar Pedal-Board.
So you've got your 6 Module slots, each has 8 effects to select from and a 9th Bypass option.

Looks like I've got some reading to do! :D

eusti

16 Nov 2015

Great! Looking forward to seeing how this turns out...

Regarding flexibility I was referring to something like what Lab-One did with Battle-Axe... (Lower left hand side)

It allows the user to change to order of the modules after a good sound for the individual modules has been dialed in without needing to manually copy the setting over... Not sure if possible these days, but it could work with making the modules dragable as well...

D.

BassmentDSP

30 Nov 2015

Back again with another update!
I apologize for taking a while.

Every stage is now "Move-able" within the processing chain.
Patches have been implemented.
A gain-reduction lamp has been added to every modules compressor.

The knob-value markers are still on the to-do list, however.

Opinions? :thumbs_up:
Attachments
Capture32123.PNG
Capture32123.PNG (383.25 KiB) Viewed 744 times

joeyluck

30 Nov 2015

BassmentDSP wrote:Back again with another update!
I apologize for taking a while.

Every stage is now "Move-able" within the processing chain.
Patches have been implemented.
A gain-reduction lamp has been added to every modules compressor.

The knob-value markers are still on the to-do list, however.

Opinions? :thumbs_up:
Cool. Will/can the screens on the right read the loaded effects rather than 'module 1' etc?

Would be cool in the future if the SDK allowed you to just swap the modules on the fly without needing a separate piece on the interface to assign the chain.

eusti

30 Nov 2015

This looks a lot better already. Here are some more tweaks to your design, implementing as well Joey's idea (at least how I understood it.)

D.
Attachments
Capture32123_eu.jpg
Capture32123_eu.jpg (77.9 KiB) Viewed 723 times

BassmentDSP

30 Nov 2015

eusti wrote:This looks a lot better already. Here are some more tweaks to your design, implementing as well Joey's idea (at least how I understood it.)

D.
You beat me to it!

Well, in any case here's how it looks implemented :)
Attachments
Capture32123.PNG
Capture32123.PNG (363.38 KiB) Viewed 721 times

eusti

30 Nov 2015

Great! Some suggestions that I had included in my mock up:
- Adjusting the placement of "input" more to the right that it sits more centered above the arrow pointing down
- toning down the white in the section under the Master Out, you could pick up the gray you used around the module displays
- using a color that is already in your color scheme for the numbering of the modules

Looking at this a bit more I'd most likely change the style of the arrow to a more simplified shape as well... This one seems to work better with serif fonts and this is a more technical environment and more non-serif fonts are already employed...

D.

joeyluck

30 Nov 2015

Looks great!

I got to thinking...

If panels for an effect can change such as they do with Antidote (the effect type, knobs settings, and the corresponding parameters)...
And if you can have a rearrangeable panel such as this on the right...
Would it be possible to have a single row table above the effect modules (of effect names) that when those are rearranged, the panels/control settings etc correspond with the change?

Does that make sense?

It would be in lieu of being able to grab entire modules and rearrange them. But similar function—very intuitive.
And would eliminate the need for a separate chain section.

BassmentDSP

30 Nov 2015

joeyluck wrote:Looks great!

I got to thinking...

If panels for an effect can change such as they do with Antidote (the effect type, knobs settings, and the corresponding parameters)...
And if you can have a rearrangeable panel such as this on the right...
Would it be possible to have a single row table above the effect modules (of effect names) that when those are rearranged, the panels/control settings etc correspond with the change?

Does that make sense?

It would be in lieu of being able to grab entire modules and rearrange them. But similar function—very intuitive.
And would eliminate the need for a separate chain section.
Great Idea!
I'll have to look over some of the internals, but this definitely could be possible.

• Information