Rack Extension that we are still waiting for

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Alkua

13 Nov 2015

Post the Pics of REs that should be done by this time.
Attachments
THR33-p.png
THR33-p.png (294.25 KiB) Viewed 2402 times
JX.jpeg
JX.jpeg (40.9 KiB) Viewed 2402 times
4mer_front.jpg
4mer_front.jpg (195.41 KiB) Viewed 2402 times

Alkua

13 Nov 2015

Another
Attachments
Reason_spire.jpg
Reason_spire.jpg (167.84 KiB) Viewed 2401 times

pjeudy

14 Nov 2015

My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

pjeudy

14 Nov 2015

P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST

platzangst

14 Nov 2015

With all due respect, what is the point of this? What's the goal?

I'm sure we all want some of these things well enough, but what's posting the pictures going to do besides kind of call out the developers? "Where's my toys, developers? I WAS PROMISED THESE TOYS, GET TO WORK!" And in some cases, the delays are going to be unavoidable - no time in the case of smaller developers, or like uHe losing its RE guy, or who knows what. I can't see how this is going to make the REs appear any sooner, in the best of cases, and in the worst of cases, it seems a bit antagonistic to me.

Aquila

14 Nov 2015

Ah so I wasn't going crazy...there really IS a JX3P RE in the works

nooomy

14 Nov 2015

platzangst wrote:With all due respect, what is the point of this? What's the goal?

I'm sure we all want some of these things well enough, but what's posting the pictures going to do besides kind of call out the developers? "Where's my toys, developers? I WAS PROMISED THESE TOYS, GET TO WORK!" And in some cases, the delays are going to be unavoidable - no time in the case of smaller developers, or like uHe losing its RE guy, or who knows what. I can't see how this is going to make the REs appear any sooner, in the best of cases, and in the worst of cases, it seems a bit antagonistic to me.
I have msg some developers like uhe,korg and Spire developers, if we give them more atension maybe more people will msg them and there for make them work quicker

Klaus-Morlock

14 Nov 2015

Is there really a Satin RE in the works?

electrochoc (PRX-A)

14 Nov 2015

Klaus-Morlock wrote:Is there really a Satin RE in the works?
Satin-RE can be considered abandonned at this point... u-he announced in September 2013 (more than two years ago) that they were working on a RE version of Satin, but has had problems with its current RE offering meanwhile (criticism over performance, problems adapting their code to the RE format, low sales, departure from their guy who was coding the REs), making u-he walk away from the RE format.

In other words, no more REs from u-he are expected as of now.

Here's what Satin-RE was supposed to look like:
Satin_Mockup_4_RealSize.jpg
Satin_Mockup_4_RealSize.jpg (60.12 KiB) Viewed 2247 times
This comment is provided courtesy of PRX-A!

platzangst

14 Nov 2015

nooomy wrote: I have msg some developers like uhe,korg and Spire developers, if we give them more atension maybe more people will msg them and there for make them work quicker
electrochoc (PRX-A) wrote:Satin-RE can be considered abandonned at this point... u-he announced in September 2013 (more than two years ago) that they were working on a RE version of Satin, but has had problems with its current RE offering meanwhile (criticism over performance, problems adapting their code to the RE format, low sales, departure from their guy who was coding the REs), making u-he walk away from the RE format.

And that's what I mean. Some things, no amount of attention is going to overcome.

boobytrap

15 Nov 2015

Waiting for this
image.gif
image.gif (39.99 KiB) Viewed 2224 times
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

pjeudy

15 Nov 2015

platzangst wrote:With all due respect, what is the point of this? What's the goal?
Mmm that's weird...This is an Audio,Software Forum...not a breaking news, only stuff that just got released forum! Why does it have to be only specific thread started with a very specific justifiable goal? and who will be the judges to decide what goal a thread should have and be allowed to be posted. just share your thoughts on stuff related to the OP threads, have a conversation chat about those software past, present and future. I'm not sure what you intended to find!?

joeyluck

15 Nov 2015

electrochoc (PRX-A) wrote:
Satin-RE can be considered abandonned at this point... u-he announced in September 2013 (more than two years ago) that they were working on a RE version of Satin, but has had problems with its current RE offering meanwhile (criticism over performance, problems adapting their code to the RE format, low sales, departure from their guy who was coding the REs), making u-he walk away from the RE format.

I really hope to see u-he's Satin as a RE at some point!

To clarify, I believe it's mostly in part because they lost their developer that did the Rack Extension work.

And I suppose budget for developing is an issue. Otherwise, I would think they would hire someone to help port it? Maybe some RE developer could volunteer their time for them to at least see this one through. Depending on how close it had gotten to completion. Not trying to volunteer anyone's time, but just thinking there's gotta be a way to work this out. And maybe that person could become their new RE engineer.

platzangst

15 Nov 2015

pjeudy wrote:
Mmm that's weird...This is an Audio,Software Forum...not a breaking news, only stuff that just got released forum! Why does it have to be only specific thread started with a very specific justifiable goal?
Nobody said it did. Why do you think that's what I was saying?
pjeudy wrote:and who will be the judges to decide what goal a thread should have and be allowed to be posted.
Dude, cram a sock in it. This entire forum is full of people "judging" whether Propellerhead is about to die or whether some developer is doing the proper thing or a thousand other judgements about who's doing what. If someone posts a thread that seems to be either A) ineffective or B) antagonistic, then I can offer an opinion about whether that's the wisest thing to do.

Alkua

15 Nov 2015

platzangst wrote:
pjeudy wrote:
Mmm that's weird...This is an Audio,Software Forum...not a breaking news, only stuff that just got released forum! Why does it have to be only specific thread started with a very specific justifiable goal?
Nobody said it did. Why do you think that's what I was saying?
pjeudy wrote:and who will be the judges to decide what goal a thread should have and be allowed to be posted.
Dude, cram a sock in it. This entire forum is full of people "judging" whether Propellerhead is about to die or whether some developer is doing the proper thing or a thousand other judgements about who's doing what. If someone posts a thread that seems to be either A) ineffective or B) antagonistic, then I can offer an opinion about whether that's the wisest thing to do.
Please choose the correct one:
A) ineffective
B) antagonistic
C) none of above
D) all above

You are the one that are judging the users of the forum. The best thing that has this forum is that it has regular reason users and reason developers. I made this post to get some news about the REs that have plenty of time "announced". Check the informarion that this thread have about Satin. And do not get surprise if ochen K come in and say something about 4mer ;)

ScuzzyEye

15 Nov 2015

pjeudy wrote:Image
I picked up some 3rd party development work that's nearly finished. I'll be back on top of this project right after.

electrochoc (PRX-A)

15 Nov 2015

joeyluck wrote:

To clarify, I believe it's mostly in part because they lost their developer that did the Rack Extension work.

And I suppose budget for developing is an issue. Otherwise, I would think they would hire someone to help port it? Maybe some RE developer could volunteer their time for them to at least see this one through. Depending on how close it had gotten to completion. Not trying to volunteer anyone's time, but just thinking there's gotta be a way to work this out. And maybe that person could become their new RE engineer.
There was deeper problems as far as I understood (although the lost of their RE developer is a very big factor): the way I understand it, u-he uses in its original algorithms parts of code that are somewhat "exotic". Those parts of code allowed Uhbiks to handle many operations simultaneously, making them efficient in the VST world. But those parts of code could not be implemented in the RE format: they thus had to rewrite those code parts in a simpler language, which made the Uhbiks far less efficient, and gave them the reputation among Reason users to be insanely CPU-hungry and unusable in some cases.

Urs from u-he even stated at some point that he intended to ask Propellerhead to remove the Uhbiks from the shop, adding that these products hurt u-he's reputation as a developer (because of their bugs and performance problems) while representing only 2% of their overall sales. We haven't had news from u-he since a long time: maybe things has evolved since then (positively I wish), but last news from u-he looked more like they were no longer interested in dealing with the RE format anymore...

joeyluck

15 Nov 2015

joeyluck wrote:

There was deeper problems as far as I understood (although the lost of their RE developer is a very big factor): the way I understand it, u-he uses in its original algorithms parts of code that are somewhat "exotic". Those parts of code allowed Uhbiks to handle many operations simultaneously, making them efficient in the VST world. But those parts of code could not be implemented in the RE format: they thus had to rewrite those code parts in a simpler language, which made the Uhbiks far less efficient, and gave them the reputation among Reason users to be insanely CPU-hungry and unusable in some cases.

Urs from u-he even stated at some point that he intended to ask Propellerhead to remove the Uhbiks from the shop, adding that these products hurt u-he's reputation as a developer (because of their bugs and performance problems) while representing only 2% of their overall sales. We haven't had news from u-he since a long time: maybe things has evolved since then (positively I wish), but last news from u-he looked more like they were no longer interested in dealing with the RE format anymore...
Right. That was a separate issue I suppose occurring at a similar time. And I suppose it should be noted that I have not had any performance issues with any of the Uhbiks on my 2008 MacBook Pro... They had only at that time really been berated with complaints by at least one particular user.

All that said, even after releasing the Uhbiks, they had plans to release Satin as a RE using the methods they had been using. Then they lost an employee that did all the work on their REs. I think the rest came after if you were to look into the teaser image release, the loss of their employee, and the performance/coding discussion. But I could be wrong. Point is, they don't have someone as they did before to dedicate some time to the RE format.

electrochoc (PRX-A)

15 Nov 2015

joeyluck wrote:
joeyluck wrote:

Right. That was a separate issue I suppose occurring at a similar time. And I suppose it should be noted that I have not had any performance issues with any of the Uhbiks on my 2008 MacBook Pro... They had only at that time really been berated with complaints by at least one particular user.

All that said, even after releasing the Uhbiks, they had plans to release Satin as a RE using the methods they had been using. Then they lost an employee that did all the work on their REs. I think the rest came after if you were to look into the teaser image release, the loss of their employee, and the performance/coding discussion. But I could be wrong. Point is, they don't have someone as they did before to dedicate some time to the RE format.
True. It's really the departure of that employee that seems to have halted the involvement of u-he in the RE world... And I'm tempted to guess that this employee could also have been the one who had to deal with the comments and bug reports about the REs... It might have been hard for the remaining staff to deal with those comments and bug reports about a product they didn't personaly develop (that could explain why the famous bug on Uhbik A hasn't been fixed yet, and why the performance issues are not really looked at)...

About the performance issues, I must say that this affected me over time. One single RE that is inefficient is never a real problem, and I was at first among those who claimed that this was not a very big issue. But having now a lot of REs, and having projects involving many instances of many different REs, I've been forced in some cases to discard the least efficient ones. For that reason, I tend to make less use of the Uhbiks I have, as well as some other REs that are hard on CPU. In other terms, the more REs I got, the more I appreciate (and use) the ones that are efficient... It's normal I guess: using a lot of REs is like using many softwares at the same time...

platzangst

15 Nov 2015

Alkua wrote: Please choose the correct one:
A) ineffective
B) antagonistic
C) none of above
D) all above
It may have been antagonistic, but it was not ineffective. I got my point across, and it got you to try to justify the thread, as follows:
Alkua wrote:I made this post to get some news about the REs that have plenty of time "announced". Check the informarion that this thread have about Satin. And do not get surprise if ochen K come in and say something about 4mer ;)
See, would that have been so hard to say in the first place? Really, you could have just asked "what's going on with these REs?" from the beginning if you were actually seeking out new information. But instead of actually asking for "some news" you decided to have an image parade of unavailable REs. Well fine, if you want to take the most indirect and inefficient route to get there, that's your business.

But spare me this "how dare you judge us" hypocrisy. There isn't a minute goes by on his forum where someone isn't judging something - even this thread, with its "well, we should have had this by now!" theme is a judgement in its way against RE developers.

Alkua

15 Nov 2015

platzangst wrote:
Alkua wrote: Please choose the correct one:
A) ineffective
B) antagonistic
C) none of above
D) all above
It may have been antagonistic, but it was not ineffective. I got my point across, and it got you to try to justify the thread, as follows:
Alkua wrote:I made this post to get some news about the REs that have plenty of time "announced". Check the informarion that this thread have about Satin. And do not get surprise if ochen K come in and say something about 4mer ;)
See, would that have been so hard to say in the first place? Really, you could have just asked "what's going on with these REs?" from the beginning if you were actually seeking out new information. But instead of actually asking for "some news" you decided to have an image parade of unavailable REs. Well fine, if you want to take the most indirect and inefficient route to get there, that's your business.

But spare me this "how dare you judge us" hypocrisy. There isn't a minute goes by on his forum where someone isn't judging something - even this thread, with its "well, we should have had this by now!" theme is a judgement in its way against RE developers.
I respect your opinion, but right now you are doing something that I think is a mistake, that make many users like you, that is screwing the thread bring your personal opinion that do not belong to the topic. You have to open a new thread and write whatever you want, and leave users like me to express the way we want.

Many of my threads get heavy traffic. You should open a new thread about what and how users have to make a new thread.

Lizard

16 Nov 2015

I'll drop a note on the one of Re that's mine in this thread for information purposes. I am developing ThreeP. I am a lowly IDT developer learning his way with scripting and IDT design. For me it is a learning experience and I learn new things every time i dig in the code. I also have a full time job, a family to support and construction of my man=cave/personal studio in my back yard so those things kinda slow production down. If the return on Re development were on par with my job it would definitely be done at this point. I was probably 90% complete with original design and then rethought my project. But I have not given up just taken a slight turn....

Originally it was mostly going to be a modifiable sample machine with a ton of presets. But as I learned a few things I started to realize that I probably could closely mimic the JX-3P using what IDT had to offer. So now I'm on that route. So far so good with the time I've got into it but until time to go. On top of that when I get an idea for something I have to start it to appease my curiosity so I have about 6 project going on at the moment. Will they happen? Dunno... I'd love to share them conceptually but as this thread does show people may construe that they WILL happen and that is a hard thing to say. As many of the projects I see in this thread are independents like me I sympathize with the delay. ThreeP will not be completed by year's end. Pretty sure about that. However Q1 next year I have hope. I'm hoping I'll get some free time soon. Thanks for the interest and concern of its status.

eusti

16 Nov 2015

Great news, Lizard! I personally rather have a machine that (to an extent) behaves like that synth than a preset collection!
Glad you're going this route now!

D.

• Information