Output Switch?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
evolve187

10 Nov 2015

I was wondering if there is any route switching RE that is similar to the A/B switch RE but that can switch 1 input between 2 different outputs routes as opposed to the A/B switch that switches between 2 inputs to 1 output? and that is a 1 click switch like A/B.

I realize this can likely be accomplished in a combi but I'm hoping for a 'cleaner' solution.

I'd love something like this to do A/B comparisons when trialing devices or deciding what compressor sounds best in a given scenario.

Thanks.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

https://soundcloud.com/terry-wilson-music

dioxide

10 Nov 2015

Sadly not. I'd like a simple A/B output switch also. Good for comparing or switching between two FX chains.

Peff's Directre will do switching well but for multiple outputs. It isn't a simple A/B switch though: sometimes you just want something that does a single, simple job.

evolve187

10 Nov 2015

Hmmm thanks for your response. Sounds like an easy win for a developer. **Hint Hint** ;)
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

ljekio

10 Nov 2015

evolve187 wrote:I was wondering if there is any route switching RE that is similar to the A/B switch RE but that can switch 1 input between 2 different outputs routes as opposed to the A/B switch that switches between 2 inputs to 1 output? and that is a 1 click switch like A/B.
Mr. Thor at your service :)
Attachments
thor.png
thor.png (574.44 KiB) Viewed 1207 times

madmacman

10 Nov 2015

Not a true "one click" solution, but wouldn't a switchable splitter such as Shelob or Anansi do the job?

selig
RE Developer

10 Nov 2015

evolve187 wrote:I was wondering if there is any route switching RE that is similar to the A/B switch RE but that can switch 1 input between 2 different outputs routes as opposed to the A/B switch that switches between 2 inputs to 1 output? and that is a 1 click switch like A/B.

I realize this can likely be accomplished in a combi but I'm hoping for a 'cleaner' solution.

I'd love something like this to do A/B comparisons when trialing devices or deciding what compressor sounds best in a given scenario.

Thanks.
For A/B comparisons you need two inputs switched between one output, the opposite of what you asked for. One RE that comes close it the free Groovy Melon Morphin XF, a crossfader.

But what I do is even simpler: Create two different channels, one with the FX, one without (or one with FX A, one with FX B). This is easy to do with Parallel Channels. Then mute one of them. So far you'll hear only the one you didn't mute. Now for the "clever" bit: simply solo the muted channel: instant A/B comparison with a single button. You don't even have to route any cables with this approach! Works for me anyway, hope you find it useful.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

evolve187

10 Nov 2015

Thanks Selig! very interesting Thor solution. And I like the Mute/solo idea too. I'd still pay $9 for a neat and tidy A/B output switch.

Cheers!

evolve187

10 Nov 2015

And after some thought about your Mute/sole idea - wouldn't that prevent you from doing your A/B comparison with the whole mix?

Also to reply to your comment "For A/B comparisons you need two inputs switched between one output, the opposite of what you asked for. One RE that comes close it the free Groovy Melon Morphin XF, a crossfader." --> this is what we already have with Pongasoft's A/B switch.
2 in-1out......i want a simple 1 in -2 outs switch.

Thanks again.

evolve187

10 Nov 2015

Excellent - Will have to try that one tonight.
Cheers!

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

10 Nov 2015

evolve187 wrote:Excellent - Will have to try that one tonight.
Cheers!
Shelob offers one-click A/B of different effects chains, that's one of my most typical usages of it in development.

Attach the source to Input A, then attach Pass to one signal chain, and Channel A out another signal chain. Turn Channel A On, and now you can A/B by just selecting the Pass switch, to flick between Pass and A outputs.

selig
RE Developer

10 Nov 2015

evolve187 wrote:And after some thought about your Mute/sole idea - wouldn't that prevent you from doing your A/B comparison with the whole mix?

Also to reply to your comment "For A/B comparisons you need two inputs switched between one output, the opposite of what you asked for. One RE that comes close it the free Groovy Melon Morphin XF, a crossfader." --> this is what we already have with Pongasoft's A/B switch.
2 in-1out......i want a simple 1 in -2 outs switch.

Thanks again.
Not sure I understand how you will use this for A/B comparisons that can't already be done with something like the Pongasoft's A/B switch. Read on…

Le't say you want to compare your mix with compressor A vs compressor B: there are many available options. Assuming you are using the master insert, just create a button in the insert (remember inserts are COMBINATORS) for the bypass switches with one inverted: instant A/B comparisons.

Or you could use the Pongasoft A/B switch and a Audio Splitter: split the audio, run it into the two devices you want to compare, then out from there into the A/B inputs - done!

The solution you request, a 1 to 2 switcher would still require an Audio Splitter. You would first insert the 1 to 2 switch, then put a different device on each output, and THEN merge them back together using an Audio Merger.

The point being, that either way the device you describe won't accomplish what you want on it's own, and the current solution you mention can do what you want as easily as the device you describe.

What you probably REALLY need is a slightly different type of device, one specifically created to do the type of comparisons you want. This device would have a single input/output, and TWO "insert" points. I would certainly argue that SOMEONE (though not me, unfortunately - no time) should consider creating this, for $9 or better yet for free maybe? (Jiggery?). Throw in a crossfader and latency compensation and it's an instant "parallel processing" device (I DO like to include bonus functions on devices!).

But a "simple 1 in - 2 out switch" only gets you half way to what you're wanting to accomplish, and does so just as easily as existing devices you mention.

Just curious, which solution do you currently use, Combinator, Thor, other?
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

10 Nov 2015

JiggeryPokery wrote:
evolve187 wrote:Excellent - Will have to try that one tonight.
Cheers!
Shelob offers one-click A/B of different effects chains, that's one of my most typical usages of it in development.

Attach the source to Input A, then attach Pass to one signal chain, and Channel A out another signal chain. Turn Channel A On, and now you can A/B by just selecting the Pass switch, to flick between Pass and A outputs.
Sorry, didn't see this before posting - ever think of adding a parallel processing feature as I described in my previous post?
Selig Audio, LLC

evolve187

10 Nov 2015

Thanks everyone for your replies. Selig - you are correct and it makes perfect sense - I guess I had been using a number of A/B switches at once and in a particular way that I only 'saw' it applicable in one place - Couldn't see the forest for the trees as they say.... and that is one of the things that makes Reason so great - So many possibilities!

I had been using it post-master output, in a mastering capacity, to test some different compressors and to compare a mid-side processing chain I was experimenting with. And yes - it of course involves the use of splitters and mergers. I was also wanting to connect the A/B (2-1) to a hypothetical A/B (1-2) basically like a switched splitter. 6 of 1 or a half dozen of the other...as my old man used to say. ;)

Appreciate the discussion!

ljekio

11 Nov 2015

evolve187 wrote:Thanks Selig! very interesting Thor solution.
I'm not Selig :puf_bigsmile:

evolve187

11 Nov 2015

Sorry Ljekio - Credit where credit is due. Thats what I get for replying from my phone ;)

• Information