Hulk Mjolnir compressor demolition derby!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
JNeffLind

04 Nov 2015

So I'm planning on using some heavy compression on drums in parallel processing in a few tracks as a creative effect and I'm wondering what compressor my fellow Reasontalkers would lean towards for greatest smashing ability.

I've got the FRG which I think has some pretty nice smashing power but I remember seeing in a tutorial at one point (by Mo Volans I believe) that he recommended the Rough Rider as the most brutal compressor for such tasks.

What say you folks? Any opinions or experience with either of these or with something that might be better?

If the Hulk was worthy of wielding Mjolnir and he was swinging it at a drum loop, which compressor would he be?

eXode

04 Nov 2015

Pulveriser comes to mind.

challism

04 Nov 2015

Yeah, Pulverizer sounds like a good choice. The appropriately named "squash" knob should do the trick nicely.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

normen

04 Nov 2015

"Squashing" is what the FET and Dynamite do imo. Otherwise yeah, Pulverizer.

challism

04 Nov 2015

I forgot about Dynamite. Thanks for mentioning that one, Normen. That compressor is quite brutal. Since brutal is what the OP is asking for.... Dynamite would be a good choice for serious brutality. Namely the preset called: Distortion. It will murder your drums. So I am changing my answer to Dynamite first choice, Pulverizer second choice. If you don't have Dynamite, I would just go with Pulverizer and wait for a dynamite sale or something.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

JNeffLind

04 Nov 2015

Thanks for the input everyone. In this tutorial (which was on askvideo.com by the way "Advanced Mixing and Mastering Techniques" which I'd recommend for any novices out there) the guy listed FET and Dynamite as possibilities but ranked the Rough Rider above them both in terms of aggressive squashing. I've got the FET and I suppose I'll just have to trial the RR and do some comparisons. Dynamite is out of my price range at the moment.

submonsterz

04 Nov 2015

JNeffLind wrote:Thanks for the input everyone. In this tutorial (which was on askvideo.com by the way "Advanced Mixing and Mastering Techniques" which I'd recommend for any novices out there) the guy listed FET and Dynamite as possibilities but ranked the Rough Rider above them both in terms of aggressive squashing. I've got the FET and I suppose I'll just have to trial the RR and do some comparisons. Dynamite is out of my price range at the moment.
Rough rider is definately rough ie does a good squash but it also adds rough colouration too so it Def lives up to its name I use it a lot for extreme smashing with pleasant results .

selig
RE Developer

04 Nov 2015

normen wrote:"Squashing" is what the FET and Dynamite do imo. Otherwise yeah, Pulverizer.
Those two (FET and Dyna-mite) come immediately to mind for the greatest squashing ability. For whatever reasons I can't seem to get anything that useful from the compressor in Pulveriser (though I LOVE the rest of the device to death), and the Rough Rider's low pass filter (which can't be disabled) frustrates me for some reason!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

tronam

07 Dec 2015

JNeffLind wrote:So I'm planning on using some heavy compression on drums in parallel processing in a few tracks as a creative effect and I'm wondering what compressor my fellow Reasontalkers would lean towards for greatest smashing ability.

I've got the FRG which I think has some pretty nice smashing power but I remember seeing in a tutorial at one point (by Mo Volans I believe) that he recommended the Rough Rider as the most brutal compressor for such tasks.

What say you folks? Any opinions or experience with either of these or with something that might be better?

If the Hulk was worthy of wielding Mjolnir and he was swinging it at a drum loop, which compressor would he be?
One of the nice things about Rough Rider with respect to Reason parallel processing is that it's a zero latency device, so it won't introduce any phasing artifacts. FRG has that advantage as well, although this can be worked around for other REs by using the VMG-01 sample delay on the dry track to compensate.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

mojo

07 Dec 2015

Dynamite !!!!

tronam

07 Dec 2015

mojo wrote:Dynamite !!!!
I just recently learned something about Dynamite which quickly changed my overall opinion of it for the better. I'd been trialling it over the past week and was trying to understand why so many people gave it such high praise because I just couldn't seem to get a pleasing sound out of it. It didn't occur to me how much the loudness of the source signal could affect its behavior. Once I turned down the audio going into it to -12dB or so, it made a huge difference. It makes me wonder how many other "vintage" emulation plugins are tuned like this that I've been unknowingly overdriving.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

JNeffLind

07 Dec 2015

tronam wrote: One of the nice things about Rough Rider with respect to Reason parallel processing is that it's a zero latency device, so it won't introduce any phasing artifacts. FRG has that advantage as well, although this can be worked around for other REs by using the VMG-01 sample delay on the dry track to compensate.

I actually ended up using both of these in different ways for parallel processing drums and I found that same advantage. Good to know the VMG is there to help with latency issues but if I can avoid an extra step I just move that much more quickly. I don't have the best ear but I think I ended up with some pretty tasty drums. Looking forward to sharing soon.

EnochLight

07 Dec 2015

JNeffLind wrote:Hulk Mjolnir..
Unrelated: you've just reminded me how stoked I am for Thor: Ragnarok in 2017. :D
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

dana

08 Dec 2015

SSL Comp, Peak and fast button pressed, fast release, push the gain and use in parallel, add some pulverizer distortion.

But if you want to spend money, buy the tube-tech :)

• Information