Mixing Tools scenario

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
JerrelTheKing

01 Nov 2015

Thought of an interesting scenario I havent seen posted here. If you all had to mix an album in Reason and could only use one of the 4 major tools compressor, eq, reverb, and delay what would those 4 rack extensions be?

Tincture

01 Nov 2015

I'd probably only use 1 RE for the delay - Steerpike. As for the others I'd use the MClass Compressor and EQ due to CPU usage and wide range of task usability. I'd use the RV7000 reverb because of it's wide range of features and usability, esp. now it has convolution.

But to answer your question.... If they had to be REs - Re-2a (not leveler as I always feel I need some downward comp capability. I don't have GQ7 so can't give that so I'll plump for the 4 band EVE Eq. For reverb I'd love to say Tsar but can't due to high CPU so I'll go for Uhbik A.

JerrelTheKing

02 Nov 2015

@Tincture good point bringing up what would work together based on CPU usage. That's another thing not discussed on here when it comes to what devices are used together for mixing

JerrelTheKing

02 Nov 2015

Pretty suprised no one chimed in. Thought it was a unique idea

Exowildebeest

02 Nov 2015

http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7491967

This thread is very similar. I suggest merging threads. Or just closing this one.

selig
RE Developer

02 Nov 2015

JerrelTheKing wrote:Pretty suprised no one chimed in. Thought it was a unique idea
Your specific idea of "one of four" may be unique, but the idea of asking what your "desert island" devices would be is fairly common from time to time. Speaking for myself, I have already answered that question so many times that I see this version of the question as just another chance to say the same thing I said last time. But sure, why not take another go at it.

But first, I'd say that it would depend on the project. For a typical pop/rock/RnB type project I'd probably use the FET compressor, SSL EQ, RV-7000 reverb and The Echo delay (and Saturation Knob, but you didn't include that category).
For a more ambient project I'd not likely use any compression, SSL EQ, a tie between the RV-7000 and the AD-480 reverb, and maybe Echobode for delay.
For a more acoustic/indy project I'd probably use the Tube Tech compressor and EQ, TSAR-1 reverb, and Tube Delay.

But that's just off the top of my head - in practice I might opt to chance my mind on at least a few of those choices!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

JerrelTheKing

03 Nov 2015

@exodwildebeest that 1 was fun but was not mix specific.
@selig boy do I love all 4 of your racks. Mix essentials in Reason for me. Yeah didnt include distortion I guess that would of made it the big 5 mix tools. I'm thinking of trying the AD-480 soon.

challism

03 Nov 2015

so what's the *interesting* scenario :question:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

JerrelTheKing

03 Nov 2015

@challism if you keep reading past the first sentence I explain it. :)

selig
RE Developer

03 Nov 2015

challism wrote:so what's the *interesting* scenario :question:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Interesting", like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. If the subject isn't interesting to you, simply move on to a more interesting subject!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

JerrelTheKing

04 Nov 2015

I'm just starting to use Reason for mixing exclusively and figuring out the best mixing tools by those that have mixed projects using rack extensions was what I was looking for..

• Information