Step 1.2.0 is in the shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
buddard
RE Developer

21 Oct 2015

We've just released Step Note Recorder 1.2.0, another free (and awesome) update:
  • Automation support for everything except individual gate widths (we ran out of MIDI CC numbers)
  • Slide knob so you can offset the sequence forwards/backwards in time in ticks (ReGroove compatible)
  • Bug fixes, some of them critical, so updating is strongly recommended
Get it here: https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... -recorder/

Enjoy! :puf_smile:

Olivier

21 Oct 2015

An awesome device now even more awesomer!
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

challism

21 Oct 2015

Thank you, Robotic Bean! You guys rule. :)
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Majestik Monkey

21 Oct 2015

:puf_bigsmile: Cheer's Mr Bean

Shokstar

21 Oct 2015

thank you for the free update :)

tiker01

21 Oct 2015

Good work as usual if I may say :D

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

alex

21 Oct 2015

Awesome! Thank you!! :)
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

Ostermilk

21 Oct 2015

There's something to be said when a device I already like just gets a bit better. A nice surprise.

Thank you.

bpmorton

23 Oct 2015

Thank you!

anthro94

03 Nov 2015

A few feature requests:

Would it be possible to make the Key and Oct display change along with what is being output?

Also, when dragging notes up and down, can you make the display skip the notes that are not in the selected scale? This feature is in another sequencer - The AS-16 and it's super cool.

It would be amazing if you could do these. The way it is now, the notes being displayed are not necessarily the notes being output.

buddard
RE Developer

04 Nov 2015

anthro94 wrote: Would it be possible to make the Key and Oct display change along with what is being output?
It's something we considered early on in development, but we discarded the idea because we thought it would be too confusing when you edit notes during playback etc. But to be honest we never tried it out, so I'll add this to the list of possible features! :puf_smile:
anthro94 wrote: Also, when dragging notes up and down, can you make the display skip the notes that are not in the selected scale? This feature is in another sequencer - The AS-16 and it's super cool.
The actual note data being edited would be the same as before (i e dragging would always transpose the pitch chromatically), but we could probably show the transposed/scaled value. This would ultimately have the effect you're describing.

(This is definitely something we would have to play around with to make sure that it doesn't have a negative effect on usability, so I can't promise anything at this point.)

anthro94

04 Nov 2015

Yes, wow. Perhaps that feature could be activated with a button if you don't want it on all the time.
Also, maybe the notes not in the selected scale could be grayed out.

Anyway, thanks for considering this.

buddard
RE Developer

04 Nov 2015

anthro94 wrote:Yes, wow. Perhaps that feature could be activated with a button if you don't want it on all the time.
Also, maybe the notes not in the selected scale could be grayed out.

Anyway, thanks for considering this.
Oh, I think you might have misunderstood me. The idea would be (if this is implemented) to always display the actually-played notes, even if you're setting other actual note values behind the scenes. So instead of showing what is stored (like we 're doing now), we would be showing what is heard. An example:
  • Let's say you have set the scale to C Major.
  • You have an F3 in your sequence, and you want to change it to G3.
  • When you start dragging it upwards, you're actually writing the note F#3 to the sequence, but you will hear a G3, and this is also what you will hear if you play the sequence back.
  • If you drag the same interval upwards again, you will now set the actual note to G3, so neither the audio nor the display will change.
  • Drag one step further, and now you set G#3 but see and hear A3.
This means that you might experience some "lag" while dragging across notes that don't belong to the scale, but I doubt that it will be very noticable.

So the new principle would be to always display what you hear, not what is stored in the sequence. So in order to see the actual raw data you're editing, you would have to set the scale to Chromatic and make sure that the actual Transposition amount is 0 (this can be achieved by double-clicking on the value). But maybe it doesn't matter? Maybe it's not that interesting?

We'll just have to try this feature out properly to make sure it doesn't cause any confusion. We'd prefer to avoid having a button switching between the behaviors since we don't want the interface to get too cluttered up with options.

ljekio

04 Apr 2016

Can I hope for automated (and combinator's controlled) Record button in the future?
This would allow to make midi looper, I think.

buddard
RE Developer

04 Apr 2016

ljekio wrote:Can I hope for automated (and combinator's controlled) Record button in the future?
This would allow to make midi looper, I think.
While it would be technically possible to let the Record function be activated via automation or CV, it wouldn't be possible to stop recording and having the sequence being saved persistently this way. This is due to a restriction in the current Rack Extension SDK that we can only work around using a custom display widget...

Faastwalker

05 Apr 2016

Excellent update. Thanks for this ;)

This & Euclid have become near permanent features of my Reason Rack.

Excellent stuff. Keep on Keepin on :D

At Vero Eos

05 Apr 2016

The Beans rock !!

BPGeez

05 Apr 2016

buddard wrote:
  • Automation support for everything except individual gate widths (we ran out of MIDI CC numbers)
  • Slide knob so you can offset the sequence forwards/backwards in time in ticks (ReGroove compatible)
Are you saying that you can add RE Grove to the sequences??
Reason is my girlfriend. Sometimes she mistreats me, but I still love her.

Checkout my tunes made with Reason: https://soundcloud.com/geez-musicals

buddard
RE Developer

05 Apr 2016

BPGeez wrote:
buddard wrote:
Are you saying that you can add RE Grove to the sequences??
No, there's no full support for ReGroove templates (no device supports this, native or RE). What I mean is that the Slide and Shuffle knobs in Step (when Shuffle Resolution is set to 1/16) will have the exact same effect as the Slide and Shuffle knobs in the ReGroove mixer. So if you're using those it's easy to get a compatible groove going in Step and Euclid.

But that being said, you can make Step follow any ReGroove template with a little bit of hassle. You do this by using Step's Clock CV input, which will completely override the timing of Step. You need a device that can convert MIDI notes to gates, for example an RPG-8 with the arpeggiator switched off. Then you record some notes on RPG-8's track, apply the groove to it and then feed it to Step via its Clock input. (I can break this process down into more detail if you like.)

Another really cool use for this technique is that you can clock Step from the groove in a REX loop by connecting the Gate output of Dr Octorex to Steps' clock input.

Clock inputs are awesome, I wish that more sequencer REs had them! :puf_smile:

K.Markov

05 Apr 2016

Hey buddard,

can you make midi delay device found in yamaha rm1x and rs7000? If it's possible, of course :puf_smile:

buddard
RE Developer

12 Dec 2017

We've just released Step Note Recorder 1.2.6! It's a minor update that includes new starter combi patches for Resonans and all the new instruments in Reason 10.

We also created this pretty cool combinator backdrop:

• Information