Reason not saving A-List Acoustic Guitarist 'Phrase' setting

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
cjb123

14 Oct 2015

Got a little thing that's a bit annoying. Maybe I'm just missing something - it wouldn't be the first time ;)

When I open a project I'm currently working on which contains 2 A-List Acoustic Guitarist instances, although I've selected a Phrase - 'Standard 4' - in both previously (and saved the Reason file) it reverts to Phrase '1' each time I open it - and I have to reset it to Standard 4. I tried saving the patch and then saving the Reason file and that didnt make any difference - the patch loads but the Phrase selection for each has reset to 1.

Seems strange that the Phrase I've selected isn't saved along with the project - this is how other RE settings work. Any ideas reasoners?

buddard
RE Developer

14 Oct 2015

This is because phrases are selected via note messages (eg from your MIDI keyboard). This means that the selected phrase can't be saved with the patch/combi. You have to record the key at the beginning of A-List's sequencer track in order for it to be remembered when you reload your project.

cjb123

14 Oct 2015

Of course - thanks for that buddard! Dumb me :oops: ...but then like I said it's not the first time I've missed something! Cheers!

craven

14 Oct 2015

I'm not really happy how the phrase selection works, I wish it had a drop down menu as well and would save the chosen phrase with the patch. Often I have only have the laptop and no midi keyboard attached. Makes using A-List a bit cumbersome to me. One workaround is to first record the melody and then play with the phrases and record that.
:ugeek:

mcatalao
Competition Winner

15 Oct 2015

Craven, i just use a second midi lane (hit dub, or "," on your keyboard) for phrases, and dial them in as if they were new notes, so that i can mantain the main chord progression, and change the phrasing as needed. If you want, you can also record the phrases with the keyboard piano roll (f4), but i really never liked it a lot. A friend of mine just lent me his 2 oct keyboard and i us it for composing on vacation (do this a lot in summer vacations).

craven

15 Oct 2015

mcatalao wrote:Craven, i just use a second midi lane (hit dub, or "," on your keyboard) for phrases, and dial them in as if they were new notes, so that i can mantain the main chord progression, and change the phrasing as needed. If you want, you can also record the phrases with the keyboard piano roll (f4), but i really never liked it a lot.
thanks for your comment! yeah, I record them using the piano roll (F4) but also don't like it so much. However, it's the best way of previewing the styles in my opinion. Still, I wish there was a better way of previewing the styles when having no midi keyboard available.
:ugeek:

• Information